Connect with us

Entertainment

Trump says framework of Iran deal ‘largely negotiated,’ with provision to reopen strait

Published

on

Trump says framework of Iran deal ‘largely negotiated,’ with provision to reopen strait


US President Donald Trump gestures as he leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. — Reuters
  • Trump says Strait of Hormuz reopening under emerging deal.
  • Pakistan reports encouraging progress in Iran-US negotiations.
  • Agreement to allow Iran to manage Strait of Hormuz, says report.

US President Donald Trump wrote on Saturday that a memorandum of understanding on a peace deal with Iran is “largely negotiated,” as both countries and mediators in Pakistan reported progress.

Trump posted on social media that the emerging agreement would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, the vital shipping passage whose closure upended global energy markets after the conflict started in February when the US and Israel launched strikes on Iran.

Trump did not say what else would be included in an agreement. “Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly,” Trump said.

Iran’s Fars news agency reported early on Sunday that the agreement would allow Iran to manage the Strait of Hormuz. It said Trump’s assertion that an agreement was nearly final was “inconsistent with reality.”

Iran had said earlier on Saturday that it was working toward a memorandum of understanding laying out an approach to ending the war after its top officials met with Pakistan’s Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) and Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Field Marshal Asim Munir.

The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said that the negotiations had resulted in “encouraging” progress towards a final understanding. Two Pakistani sources involved in negotiations said the deal being negotiated is “fairly comprehensive to terminate the war.”

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian (right) meets Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir in Tehran on May 23, 2026. — Reuters
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian (right) meets Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir in Tehran on May 23, 2026. — Reuters

Sources have told Reuters the proposed framework would unfold in three stages: formally ending the war, resolving the crisis in the Strait of Hormuz and launching a 30-day window for negotiations on a broader agreement, which can be extended.

Earlier on Saturday, Trump told Axios that he expected to decide on Sunday whether to resume attacks on Iran. “Either we reach a good deal or I’ll blow them to a thousand hells,” Axios quoted him as saying.

One of the Pakistani sources said there was no guarantee the US would accept the memorandum; if it does, it would lead to further talks after the Eid holiday ends on Friday.

Trump to speak with Middle East leaders

Trump, whose approval ratings have been hit by the war’s impact on energy prices for US consumers, said on Friday he would not attend his son’s wedding this weekend, citing Iran among the reasons he planned to stay in Washington.

Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform that he had a phone call on Saturday with leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Egypt, Turkey and Pakistan. Axios reported that the leaders encouraged Trump to agree to the emerging framework.

Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf (right) meets Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir in Tehran on May 23, 2026. — Reuters
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf (right) meets Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir in Tehran on May 23, 2026. — Reuters

Pakistan has aimed to narrow differences between Iran and the US after weeks of war have left the vital Hormuz waterway closed to most shipping despite a nervous ceasefire.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio earlier on Saturday reiterated Trump’s terms for ending the fighting. “Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. The straits need to be open without tolls. They need to turn over their enriched uranium.”

Rubio, who is visiting India, said some progress had been made and work was continuing.

“Even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done. There is a chance that, whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say,” Rubio told reporters in New Delhi.

US Vice President JD Vance returned to the White House on Saturday afternoon, cutting short a trip to Ohio.

Iran denies it is pursuing nuclear weapons and says it has a right to enrich uranium for civilian purposes. It has demanded supervision of the strait, an end to the US blockade on its ports and the lifting of sanctions on Iranian oil sales.

“The trend this week has been towards a reduction in disputes, but there are still issues that need to be discussed through mediators. We will have to wait and see where the situation ends in the next three or four days,” said Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei.

Baghaei said the issue of the US blockade on Iran’s shipping was important, but that its priority was ending the threat of new US attacks and the ongoing conflict in Lebanon, where Iran-allied Hezbollah is fighting Israeli troops who have moved into the south.

Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir is welcomed by Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni upon his arrival as a part of the ongoing mediation efforts between the US and Iran in Tehran on May 22, 2026. — ISPR
Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir is welcomed by Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni upon his arrival as a part of the ongoing mediation efforts between the US and Iran in Tehran on May 22, 2026. — ISPR

CDF Munir left Tehran on Saturday after talks with Iran’s top negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi.

Qalibaf said Iran would pursue its “legitimate rights,” both on the battlefield and through diplomacy, but added that it could not trust “a party that has no honesty at all,” an allegation Iran has made several times before.

He said Iran’s armed forces had rebuilt their capabilities during the ceasefire and that, if the US “foolishly restarts the war,” the consequences would be “more forceful and bitter” than at the start of the conflict.

Despite weeks of conflict, Iran has preserved its stockpile of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium as well as missile, drone and proxy capabilities.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Royals take protective step for Beatrice, Eugenie as key appearance looms

Published

on

Royals take protective step for Beatrice, Eugenie as key appearance looms


Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie were seemingly gripped by uncertainty as the controversies surrounding their parents led to a somewhat confusing stance from the Palace.

As scrutiny into the Epstein files and the probe into Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and Sarah Ferguson deepened, the royals appeared to adding some distance with the York sisters.

This had occurred after they attended the Sandringham Christmas where all the royal members showed their support standing alongside them during a tough time. Then the sisters were invited and then uninvited to royal events which further confused the public on the royal stance.

According to former BBC royal correspondent Jennie Bond, the royal family is not going to let Beatrice and Eugenie suffer due to the sins of their parents as they will be making an appearance at their cousin Peter Philips wedding in the summer.

“They are first cousins of Peter and have always had a good relationship,” Bond told The Mirror.

“There will inevitably be some interest in Beatrice and Eugenie if they are guests at the wedding, but not enough to detract from the bride and groom in any major way,” she explained.

Peter Philips reportedly made the decision to keep his wedding to Harriet Sperling royal-family drama free as he left out the Sussexes from the guest list, fully aware of the feud. Moreover, Andrew and Fergie were also firmly removed owing to how much media attention and public uproar it will cause.

This also to be a protective measure for the sisters, as King Charles has vowed to maintain a relationship with his nieces. Experts noted that the monarch pretty much shield them when he chose to announce Eugenie’s third pregnancy via the Palace.

It indicated that Beatrice and Eugenie are still part of the royal fold and the rest of the family is also included in protecting them.

Bond stated, “Beatrice and Eugenie are going through an incredibly tough time in their lives, and I think their wider family is determined to stay true to their promise that the women will always be included.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Katie Price refuses to accept Lee Andrews dad’s arrest story

Published

on

Katie Price refuses to accept Lee Andrews dad’s arrest story


Andrews married Price just after 10-day whirlwind romance

Katie Price does not agree with Lee Andrews’ father’s statement that his son has been locked up in a Dubai prison. 

A missing persons’ report was filed with the British Embassy in the United Arab Emirates city and three days ago Dubai police denied he’d been detained.

Now Peter has claimed Lee is being held by police a telling the Daily Mail: “Lee is OK.

“He has not been kidnapped but he is under arrest. I don’t know on what charge.

“I’m not sure where he is being held. But he will call me later today.

“He is not at my house.”

Katie Prices official Instagram account
Katie Price’s official Instagram account

However, Katie hit back on social media hours later, insisting: “This is fake news.

“Lee is still missing. Me and his family know what’s going on and working

with the authorities involved.”

A police insider told the publication: “Lee Andrews has been arrested.”

Andrews married Price just after 10-day whirlwind romance, a decision that sparked speculation about whether he was the right partner for the former glamour model.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

At least four injured in blast near railway track in Quetta

Published

on

At least four injured in blast near railway track in Quetta


Smoke rises from a car after blast in Quetta on May 24, 2026. — Geo News

QUETTA: At least four people sustained injuries when a blast occurred near the railway track close to Chaman Phatak in Quetta on Sunday, according to police officials.

A train suffered partial damage in the blast, while 10 vehicles parked in the area were also damaged. The impact of the explosion shattered the windows and glass panels of nearby buildings.

Following the incident, an emergency was declared in government hospitals across Quetta, with doctors and medical staff summoned to handle the situation.

Railway authorities said the Peshawar-bound Jaffar Express was stopped at Quetta Railway Station after the blast as a precautionary measure.

Babar Yousafzai, the spokesperson to the home minister, said that all relevant institutions have been placed on high alert following an explosion in the city.

He urged the public not to gather near the blast site to ensure safety and allow emergency teams to carry out rescue operations without obstruction.


This is a developing story and is being updated with further details.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending