Connect with us

Business

Charlie Kirk death: Report those who celebrate the shooting to employers, Vance says

Published

on

Charlie Kirk death: Report those who celebrate the shooting to employers, Vance says


People who celebrate the killing of conservative influencer Charlie Kirk should be held accountable, US Vice-President JD Vance has said.

“Call them out, and hell, call their employer,” Vance said as he guest-hosted an episode of the Charlie Kirk Show. “We don’t believe in political violence, but we do believe in civility.”

Pilots, medical professionals, teachers and one Secret Service employee are among those who have been suspended or sacked for social media posts that were deemed inappropriate about Kirk’s death.

Critics have argued the firings threaten free speech and employee protections, although US companies have wide latitude to terminate employees.

Vance’s comments aired on Monday in an episode of the Charlie Kirk Show, a daily podcast that Kirk hosted before he was shot in the neck last Wednesday while hosting a debate at Utah Valley University.

He was joined by the White House deputy chief of staff, Stephen Miller, who vowed to dismantle the left-wing “terrorist networks” he said were responsible for the killing. Police have said the 22-year-old suspect in custody acted alone.

In the episode, the vice-president said that left-wing Americans “are much likelier to defend and celebrate political violence”, and added that “there is no civility in the celebration of political assassination”.

A recent YouGov poll found liberal Americans were more likely than conservatives to defend feeling joy about the deaths of political opponents.

However a poll conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute in 2023 – when Democrat Joe Biden was in the White House – found that a third of Republicans agreed with the statement: “Because things have gotten so far off track, true American patriots may have to resort to violence in order to save our country.”

Just 13 percent of Democrats in the survey agreed.

Vance’s remarks come as other Republican US lawmakers echoed calls for those publicly celebrating Kirk’s death to be punished.

“I will demand their firing, defunding, and license revocation,” said Florida congressman Randy Fine in a post on X on Sunday, as he called for such people to “be thrown out of civil society”.

Critics have highlighted previous comments from Fine, including calling Muslim members of Congress “terrorists” and proposing a bill allowing people to run over peaceful protesters who block traffic, an initiative he dubbed the “Thump Thump Act”.

South Carolina congresswoman Nancy Mace urged the Department of Education to “cut off every dime to any school or university” that refuses to retaliate against employees making insensitive posts about Kirk.

Kirk, a devout Christian, professed viewpoints on gender, race and abortion that drew backlash from many liberals, especially on the campuses he toured.

In some cases, those who took to social media to gloat over his death or post comments that caused offence have been fired or placed on leave by employers.

Among them is Anthony Pough, a US Secret Service employee who wrote on Facebook that Kirk “spewed hate and racism on his show… at the end of the day, you answer to GOD, and speak things into existence”.

He has had his security clearance revoked.

Secret Service Director Sean Curran wrote in a memo to staff that politically motivated attacks are on the rise and members of the protective detail should not be exacerbating the issue.

“The men and women of the Secret Service must be focused on being the solution, not adding to the problem,” Curran wrote.

Americans employed by private companies have also come under scrutiny. Office Depot fired employees at a Michigan branch after a viral video showed staff refusing to print posters for a Kirk vigil, the company confirmed to the BBC in a statement.

A spokesperson for Office Depot said the employees’ behaviour “was completely unacceptable and insensitive”, and violated the company’s policies.

Professors and journalists, too, are facing punishment for their comments, provoking a debate over so-called cancel culture.

Karen Attiah, a long-time columnist for the Washington Post, wrote in a Substack post that the newspaper had fired her after a series of posts she made on social media platform Bluesky following Kirk’s death.

In South Carolina, Clemson University said in a statement on Monday that it had fired one employee and placed two professors on leave for what it called “inappropriate” social media posts related to Kirk’s killing.

The repercussions have reached beyond the US.

In Canada, University of Toronto professor Ruth Marshall was placed on leave after appearing to write in a social media post that “shooting is honestly too good for so many of you fascists”.

US employers generally have broad discretion to fire workers for any reason, as most staff are hired under “at-will” contracts.

Steven Collis, a law professor at the University of Texas Austin, said the right to free speech under the US Constitution does not cover private employers.

Rather, it applies to government actions restricting citizens’ free speech, he said.

But Risa Lieberwitz, head of the Worker Institute at Cornell University, said public figures could be infringing on free speech rights if they call for accountability over posts about Kirk.

She said the spate of firings was not surprising, given the current heated political rhetoric in the US.

“I think it reflects the kind of fear that exists now in the United States from retaliation by the Trump administration for not adhering to their political agenda,” she said.

Some have criticised the firings, like the American Association of University Professors, who said in a statement on Monday that academic freedom should be protected and “not curtailed under political pressure”.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Stock market this week: Middle East tensions, oil prices, FII flows & more — what will guide Dalal Street

Published

on

Stock market this week: Middle East tensions, oil prices, FII flows & more — what will guide Dalal Street


Dalal Street is heading into the new trading week with global uncertainty firmly in focus, as investors keep a close watch on the evolving situation in the Middle East, fluctuations in crude oil prices and the behaviour of foreign investors. Analysts said that sentiment is likely to remain fragile and heavily influenced by developments in negotiations between the United States and Iran, while movements in the rupee, global equities and the US dollar are also expected to shape market direction in the days ahead.Trading activity during the week is also expected to be shaped by the rupee’s movement against the US dollar, while investors continue to assess the impact of global uncertainty on risk appetite. Markets will remain closed on Thursday for Bakri Id.A key trigger for sentiment emerged over the weekend after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations between Washington and Tehran had shown some progress, raising expectations that the ongoing conflict in West Asia could move closer to resolution.Ajit Mishra, SVP, Research at Religare Broking Ltd, said investors would closely track developments tied to crude oil, global currencies and bond markets. “This week is expected to remain highly sensitive to global macroeconomic developments and currency movements. Investors will also monitor crude oil prices, developments in US-Iran negotiations, and the trajectory of the US dollar and bond yields, all of which are expected to influence foreign flows and overall risk appetite,” he said.Apart from geopolitical developments, the Reserve Bank’s decision to transfer a record Rs 2.87 lakh crore dividend to the government for the year ended March 2026 is also expected to remain in focus. The announcement comes at a time when rising import costs and supply chain pressures linked to the West Asia conflict continue to weigh on the economy.According to Mishra, market participants are expected to evaluate how the RBI payout could affect liquidity conditions, fiscal flexibility and government spending in the months ahead.Ponmudi R, CEO of Enrich Money, said market behaviour in the coming sessions is expected to remain sensitive to fresh headlines surrounding diplomatic negotiations and oil prices. “Markets are expected to remain volatile and heavily headline-driven in the coming week, with investor attention firmly focused on developments surrounding the US–Iran situation, broader diplomatic negotiations and movements in crude oil prices,” he said.“While hopes of a diplomatic breakthrough and easing geopolitical tensions have improved sentiment modestly, investors continue to remain cautious as uncertainty surrounding the final outcome of the negotiations remains elevated,” Ponmudi added.He further said investors are expected to watch institutional flows, global equity trends, macroeconomic indicators and the rupee for further market cues. “With global uncertainty still elevated, market participants are likely to remain selective and cautious despite the recent improvement in sentiment,” he said.Vinod Nair, Head of Research at Geojit Investments Limited, said markets would require stronger support factors to build a more constructive setup. According to him, a meaningful decline in crude oil prices, steady foreign institutional investor flows and stable Q1FY27 earnings expectations without major downgrades would be important for sustained momentum.In the previous week, the BSE benchmark index rose 177.36 points, or 0.23%, while the NSE Nifty advanced 75.8 points, or 0.32%.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

‘Shameful’ more spent on benefits than jobs for young people, says adviser Alan Milburn

Published

on

‘Shameful’ more spent on benefits than jobs for young people, says adviser Alan Milburn



Reforms are needed of the welfare system to tackle the high numbers of young people not in work or education, says Alan Milburn.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Pets at Home hoping for boost under new boss despite consumer pressure

Published

on

Pets at Home hoping for boost under new boss despite consumer pressure


Pets at Home investors will be hoping the retailer’s new boss can lay out a strategy to return it to profit growth despite a challenging consumer backdrop.

Shares in the company currently sit close to its lowest level for almost seven years following a recent downturn in the group’s retail arm.

The dip in the group’s performance contributed to the departure of previous chief executive Lyssa McGowan late last year.

In March, former Waitrose boss James Bailey took the reins in a bid to drive a turnaround in performance.

Shareholders will be hoping the new boss can show early signs of improvement and a long-term strategy to drive growth in Pets at Home’s update on Wednesday May 27.

EK6R79 Pets at home interior store space

The pet products retailer and vet chain is expected to report an underlying pre-tax profit of around £93 million for the year to March, according to analysts.

It would represent a roughly 30% fall from last year, after the company came under pressure from weak demand for discretionary products.

Analysts have said investors will be looking at early trading in the current financial year to see how consumer spending is holding up.

AJ Bell’s investment director Russ Mould said: “Pets at Home could badly do with some renewed pep.

“Under executive chair Ian Burke, who has returned to a non-executive role after leading the business on an interim basis, Pets at Home laid out a plan to fix a retail business which has been badly affected by a reduction in discretionary spend on toys and treats for Britons’ furry and feathered friends.

“The country may have a reputation for loving their animal companions but in an environment where households are having to watch their pennies, these nice-to-have items were off the list.”

The group has also seen sales of pet food and similar products face fierce pricing competition from non-specialist retailers, such as supermarkets.

It has since cut prices among around 1,000 products in order to help drive activity, with cash-strapped shoppers looking for value.

Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed that UK retail sales volumes dropped to an 11-month low in April, with a 1.3% fall for the month.

Pets at Home is predicted to report revenues of £1.47 billion for the past year, just marginally lower than £1.482 billion reported last year.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending