Sports
NBA MVP straw poll: Why SGA and Wemby have created their own tier
Since Feb. 1, the San Antonio Spurs have won 27 of 29 games to force their way into the mix for the NBA’s best record.
As a result, 22-year-old phenom Victor Wembanyama has forced his way to the top of the NBA’s Most Valuable Player discussion, with a chance to become the first player to win the award as early as his third season since Derrick Rose did so 15 years ago.
But will the Spurs’ 7-foot-4 big man actually challenge Oklahoma City Thunder guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, who can become the 14th player in league history to win back-to-back MVPs and the 16th to win it at least twice?
According to ESPN’s third and final NBA MVP straw poll of the 2025-26 season, Wemby’s late-season push will fall just short.
In a poll of 100 NBA media members conducted Monday through Wednesday, Gilgeous-Alexander leads our ballot with only 10 days left in the regular season. The 27-year-old guard’s clutch play has allowed the defending champions to overcome injuries throughout their rotation and remain a step ahead of the Spurs.
And, despite Wembanyama’s late charge, Denver Nuggets‘ center Nikola Jokic‘ continued otherworldly play and Los Angeles Lakers guard Luka Doncic coming off a 600-point month — the first in March since Michael Jordan in 1987 — Gilgeous-Alexander remains comfortably in front. SGA landed the top spot on 88 out of 100 ballots while picking up nine second- and three third-place votes for a total of 958 points, 300 clear of Wembanyama.
Those wondering why this race isn’t closer can look to Monday night. Wembanyama was brilliant, with 41 points, three 3-pointers, 16 rebounds and three blocks as San Antonio overwhelmed the Chicago Bulls.
A couple of hours later, Gilgeous-Alexander scored 47 points in Oklahoma City’s overtime win against the Eastern Conference-leading Detroit Pistons. After the game, Gilgeous-Alexander was asked whether he wanted to contribute to any of the ongoing MVP chatter.
“No, I’m good. Thanks for asking, though,” he told ESPN’s Tim MacMahon. “Yeah, I’m good. I let my game do the talking.”
Gilgeous-Alexander, who has now led five consecutive straw polls since the middle of last season, is having yet another spectacular campaign. He’s averaging 31.6 points on 55.3% shooting with 4.4 rebounds, 6.1 assists and 1.4 steals.
And he’s doing all of it while powering the Thunder to the best record in the NBA for a second straight season, and with key contributors shuttling in-and-out of the lineup. The most notable of that group: All-Star Jalen Williams, who has played only 30 games this season after offseason wrist surgery and a hamstring strain suffered in January.
But Wembanyama’s case can’t be ignored. Neither can San Antonio’s incredible play as a team over the past couple of months.
Wembanyama, who fell short of the 65-game threshold for 2024-25 awards eligibility, should avoid any such issues this time and is putting up astronomical numbers of his own — averaging 24.5 points, 11.4 rebounds, 3.1 assists and and a league-leading 3.1 blocks.
He’s also far from bashful about stating his case for the league’s top individual honor.
“I have thought about it,” Wembanyama told reporters last week. “I think right now, there is a debate. There should be, even though I think I should lead the race. I’m trying to make sure that at the end of the season, there’s no debate.”
Unless things change, though, Wembanyama might have to wait until next year to potentially join Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon and Giannis Antetokounmpo as the only players to win both Defensive Player of the Year and Most Valuable Player in the same season.
Jokic, who received three first-place votes and landed on 99 of 100 ballots, finished outside the top two for the first time since December 2022, a nod to his remarkable durability and consistency. But his historic per-game averages — 27.7 points (eighth in the NBA), 13.0 rebounds (first) and 10.8 assists (first) — have dipped a bit since the 31-year-old center returned from a bone bruise in his knee before the All-Star break. Denver has also slipped behind the Lakers in the West standings.
Jokic was able to edge the fourth-place Doncic, who appeared on 96 of 100 ballots. Doncic leads the league with 33.8 points per game to go along with 7.1 rebounds, 8.3 assists and 1.7 steals while leading the Lakers to a 15-2 record in March. Doncic’s chances in the official MVP ballot took a hit Thursday night, when he exited the game against OKC with a left hamstring injury. At 64 games played, Doncic would become ineligible for MVP and All-NBA if he misses the Lakers’ final five games of the regular season. (Minnesota Timberwolves guard Anthony Edwards, who received one fifth-place vote in ESPN’s straw poll, is now out of the running after missing Thursday’s game due to a right knee ailment.)
It’s also important to note that voters were instructed to leave the Detroit Pistons All-Star guard Cade Cunningham off their ballots after the collapsed lung he suffered last month probably ended his regular season at 61 games played.
The consensus among the 100 media members polled was that Cunningham would’ve landed anywhere from third to fifth, probably cutting into the vote totals for both Jokic and Doncic but not doing much to change the tenor of the race between Gilgeous-Alexander and Wembanyama.
Bonus! Where does the Rookie of the Year race stand?
0:47
Why Kon Knueppel is No. 1 in ESPN’s rookie rankings
Zach Kram breaks down why Kon Knueppel has been the best rookie in the NBA this season.
With a contentious Rookie of the Year race all season involving a pair of former roommates at Duke — Dallas Mavericks forward Cooper Flagg and Charlotte Hornets guard Kon Knueppel — we also chose to survey voters on how that race could shake out.
And, like the MVP race, there is a clear leader.
It’s Knueppel, the No. 4 pick last June, who has a massive lead with 10 days to go in the regular season, claiming 80 first-place votes to Flagg’s 20.
Philadelphia 76ers guard VJ Edgecombe, the No. 3 pick, snagged two second-place votes to go with 94 third-place votes. San Antonio Spurs guard Dylan Harper, the No. 2 pick, had five third-place votes, and New Orleans Pelicans big man Derik Queen received the final third-place vote.
For someone to pass No. 1 pick Flagg, a potential generational prospect who is on pace to become the fourth rookie since the NBA-ABA merger in 1976 to average at least 20.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists, joining Doncic, Jordan and Larry Bird — it was going to take a remarkable turn of events.
Enter Knueppel, who has not only set the NBA rookie record for 3-pointers made in a season but is currently leading the league in 3s on 43.1% shooting from deep.
Those gaudy numbers have been key to Charlotte’s turnaround; the Hornets started the season 16-28 but have won 24 of their past 32 games to surge into the top half of the East play-in picture.
Though winning rarely factors into the Rookie of the Year race, the combination of Knueppel’s play and Charlotte’s success — coupled with Flagg’s Mavericks playing for another high draft pick — has swung the race fully in Knueppel’s favor with just a handful of regular-season games left.
Sports
Australia cricket split over BBL future after selloff plan stalls
SYDNEY: As Twenty20 cricket competitions explode around the world, Australia’s Big Bash League is struggling to chart a vision for the future, after plans to privatise its franchises stalled.
Cricket Australia chief Todd Greenberg is adamant that outside investment is necessary to shore up the game’s financial future and keep pace with a boom in other well-funded leagues played in a similar time slot.
They include the UAE’s ILT20, South Africa’s SA20, and New Zealand’s privately-backed NZ20 scheduled to start in December 2027, all bidding for the best local and overseas players.
“If those salary caps (of other leagues) are significantly higher than ours over the coming years, and players can earn more in those areas, then players will follow those. That’s a real risk to us,” Greenberg told local media.
“I want to make sure that for Australian cricket, our ambition is to have a league that runs at the key part of the year for us, which is the December-January window, and it’s the best T20 league in the world at that moment in time.
“To do that, we have to have a significant amount of money in our salary caps to attract not only the best players from overseas, but to retain and attract our own best players.”
He added: “The concept of bringing private capital to cricket is inevitable at some point.”
While not a direct competitor as it runs in a different window, the benchmark Indian Premier League has seen massive success thanks to wealthy benefactors, with England’s The Hundred also on a roll after an influx of private capital.
But it is a thorny issue in Australia with an initial proposal to sell stakes in each of BBL’s eight teams stalling last month amid concerns about a loss of control for the game’s local custodians.
While the Victorian, Western Australian and Tasmanian cricket associations voiced support and South Australia said it was open to the idea, New South Wales and Queensland rejected the move.
Queensland Cricket, which controls the Brisbane Heat, said it was worried about player payments skyrocketing to unsustainable levels, and that private owners may not be as invested in the grassroots game.
Cricket NSW, which operates the Sydney Sixers and Sydney Thunder, was similarly concerned that it could be detrimental to how the sport is governed and how local players are produced.
‘Sugar hit’
There are also fears about an Indian takeover, with the most likely buyers seen as the rich IPL team owners who have invested in other short-form competitions around the globe.
Former Australian captain Greg Chappell is in the “No” camp, arguing that the BBL belongs to the states and communities that have built it into a successful and well-attended product.
While acknowledging the commercial realities, he said selling it off was not the answer.
“The moment you introduce private ownership at scale, you introduce a set of priorities that may not always align with the long-term health of the game,” he wrote in the Sydney Morning Herald.
“Private investors, however well-intentioned, answer to shareholders, not to Australian cricket.”
Andrew Jones, a former head of strategy at Cricket Australia who was instrumental in the launch of the BBL, is similarly unconvinced.
“A one-off sale is a sugar hit, not a solution,” he said in The Australian newspaper, arguing that revenues can be better grown through sponsorships, wagering, ticketing, and more focus on commercialising the women’s game.
Despite scepticism, Greenberg remains confident and is now eyeing a hybrid ownership model.
This would allow the BBL franchises keen to sell stakes to do so while allowing those against to maintain complete ownership.
“If we end up not going together at the same time, can we still extract the same level of revenue, and can we extract the same level of value?” he said.
“I think we can, but I’ve got to do the work to satisfy a recommendation that would ultimately go to the members and our board.”
Sports
Knicks take commanding 3-0 lead over Cavaliers in Eastern Conference Finals
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The New York Knicks took a commanding 3-0 lead in the Eastern Conference Finals on Saturday as the franchise eyes its first NBA Finals berth since 1999.
Jalen Brunson scored 30 points to lead New York to a 121-108 win over Cleveland, while Mikal Bridges added 22 as the Knicks never trailed in Game 3.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
The New York Knicks bench reacts during the fourth quarter against the Cleveland Cavaliers in game three of the Eastern Conference finals at Rocket Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, on May 23, 2026. (David Richard/Imagn Images)
New York is the seventh team in NBA history to win at least 10 straight during a postseason run. The last team to do it was the Boston Celtics, who also went on a 10-game run on their way to the 2024 title.
All but one of the Knicks’ wins have been by double digits, with an average margin of victory of 22.5 points.
Cavaliers star Donovan Mitchell finished with 23 points in 38 minutes, while teammate James Harden added 21. Cleveland shot 12 of 41 from 3-point range and 12 of 19 from the foul line.

Cleveland Cavaliers guard Donovan Mitchell (45) drives to the basket against New York Knicks guard Landry Shamet (44) during the first quarter in Game Three of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals at Rocket Arena on May 23, 2026 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)
Cleveland rallied and tied it at 50-all on a jumper by Harden before the Knicks countered with a 10-1 run. They went into halftime with a 60-54 advantage.
Music superstar Taylor Swift was courtside for Game 3 of the Eastern Conference finals on Saturday night alongside fiancé and Ohio native Travis Kelce.
Swift and Kelce, who recently signed a three-year, $54 million contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, took their seats in Rocket Arena shortly before the opening tip.

Singer Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce attend Game Three of the NBA Eastern Conference Finals between the New York Knicks and Cleveland Cavaliers at Rocket Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, on May 23, 2026. (Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)
With the Cavs trailing 91-82 at the end of the third quarter, Kelce and Swift were shown on the arena’s giant scoreboard. Fans cheered wildly as Kelce showed off his team cap and wine-and-gold shirt.
Game 4 is set for Monday night at Rocket Arena in Cleveland. The series will return to Madison Square Garden for Game 5 on Wednesday, if necessary.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Meanwhile, in the Western Conference, the San Antonio Spurs will host the defending champion Oklahoma City Thunder in Game 4 on Sunday night. Oklahoma City enters the matchup with a 2-1 series lead.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
Sports
NASCAR’s Truck Series and O’Reilly Autoparts Series honor Kyle Busch with moments of silence at Charlotte
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The NASCAR world is paying tribute to Kyle Busch this weekend, and that includes some classy ones from two series in which the late driver had a lot of success.
While Busch — who passed away Thursday after “severe pneumonia [that] progressed into sepsis” — had been a full-time driver in NASCAR’s top series, the Cup Series, for more than 20 years, he still competed occasionally in both the O’Reilly Auto Parts Series and the Craftsman Truck Series.
He was especially known for his dominance in the Truck Series, winning 69 of his 184 races, and at one point owned a team. In fact, the final win of Busch’s career came just under a week before his death in a Truck Series race at Dover.
ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!
Kyle Busch, driver of the No. 7 HendrickCars.com Chevrolet, is introduced before the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series SpeedyCash.com 250 at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas, on May 1, 2026. (James Gilbert/Getty Images)
On Friday, the Truck Series was in Charlotte as part of the Coca-Cola 600 weekend for a race that Busch was supposed to take part in.
NASCAR, RACING WORLD REACTS TO KYLE BUSCH’S SHOCKING DEATH AT 41: ‘CANNOT COMPREHEND THIS NEWS’
Corey Day was in the No. 7 Chevrolet for Spire Motorsports, the truck in which Busch took his final win, and it was set to start on pole after Friday’s qualifying was rained out.

Kyle Busch celebrates the final win of his NASCAR career at Dover Motor Speedway. (Photo by David Hahn/Icon Sportswire)
Before the race was set to begin on Friday evening, teams and fans held a moment of silence for Busch.
Unfortunately, the race never got underway and was postponed until Saturday morning and then again to Saturday night.
The O’Reilly Autoparts Series, which Busch raced in many times and won many times during his career, also took a moment to remember him before their race at Charlotte on Saturday.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
That race was also suspended due to rain.
There will be some heavy hearts on Sunday when the Coca-Cola 600, the NASCAR Cup Series’ longest race of the year, gets started at 6 p.m. ET.
-
Entertainment1 week agoWhere Pete Davidson, Elsie Hewitt stand after breakup: Details revealed
-
Politics1 week agoRising diesel costs from Iran war strain US school budgets
-
Tech1 week agoGreg Brockman Officially Takes Control of OpenAI’s Products in Latest Shakeup
-
Tech1 week agoWhy Is Your Grill So Dumb? The Best Grills Set Temp Like an Oven
-
Tech1 week agoThis Solar-Powered Smart Sprinkler Keeps My Lawn Watered Without Any Power Cables
-
Fashion1 week agoRMG trade bodies seek policy support from Bangladesh PM
-
Business1 week agoOil price gains and Westminster worry sink stocks
-
Tech1 week agoTesla Reveals New Details About Robotaxi Crashes—and the Humans Involved
