Connect with us

Entertainment

Over 73,000 passengers offloaded in 2025: interior ministry

Published

on

Over 73,000 passengers offloaded in 2025: interior ministry


 student leaving for the United States at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi, Pakistan, on January 21, 2023. — Reuters
  • 35,270 passengers were offloaded in 2023: interior ministry.
  • Number of those offloaded increased to 39,214 in 2024, it adds.
  • 45,356 passengers offloaded in 2025 on technical grounds.

In the wake of tightened screening measures at airports and growing reports of passengers being offloaded, the Ministry of Interior has revealed that more than 73,000 passengers were offloaded during 2025.

“A total of 35,270 passengers were offloaded in 2023, 39,214 in 2024 and 73,358 in 2025,” read the Ministry of Interior’s reply to a question in the Senate, adding that 147,842 passengers were offloaded during the three-year period.

The ministry’s submission comes against the backdrop of thousands of Pakistanis being deported from various countries for begging, while tens of thousands were also offloaded at airports over suspected illegal travel attempts, a National Assembly committee was informed in December 2025.

Last month, Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi directed the relevant authorities to enforce strict screening of passengers’ travel documents at all airports across the country to curb illegal immigration.

Directing the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) to continue strict and impartial action against the mafia involved in illegal immigration, he ordered the agency to ensure the effective implementation of immigration laws and strengthen airport immigration systems.

He also called for rigorous scrutiny of travellers’ documents at all airports to prevent illegal activities.

Meanwhile, explaining the reasons for passengers being offloaded, the interior ministry informed the Senate that only those passengers are offloaded whose behaviour indicates possible illegal intentions.

Out of the total 73,358 passengers offloaded in 2025, 45,356 were offloaded for technical reasons, including flight cancellations, passengers’ refusal to travel, technical faults in aircraft, bad weather, flight delays and offloading by airlines.

Providing data on illegal immigration attempts, the ministry said that 861 suspects carrying fake documents were identified at airports over the past three years.

It said that 303 suspects were deported on fake documents, 417 cases were registered, 557 people were arrested and 206 were convicted.

The ministry further stated that 153 additional cases were registered in connection with fake documents and deportations, 181 suspects were arrested and 93 were convicted.

It also noted that 23 departmental inquiries are under way against FIA employees over fake document cases, of which 17 have been concluded.

Beggars issue

The ministry also shared details of beggars who were offloaded and deported over the past two years.

It said that 507 beggars were offloaded in 2024 and 90 in 2025, while 49 inquiries and 32 first information reports (FIRs) were registered in connection with beggars offloaded in 2024.

Of those offloaded in 2024, 59 beggars and 17 agents were arrested and 19 were convicted.

Meanwhile, in 2025, 43 inquiries were initiated into beggars who were offloaded, 37 FIRs were registered and 36 beggars were arrested, while one was convicted.

The ministry further said that 4,850 beggars were deported in 2024, whereas the number declined to 1,187 in 2025.

It added that 105 inquiries and 48 FIRs were registered against beggars deported in 2024.

During the same year, 91 deported beggars and two agents were arrested, while 12 were convicted.

In 2025, the ministry said, 354 inquiries were initiated and 201 FIRs were registered, leading to the arrest of 589 beggars and one agent, of whom 27 were convicted.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Patti LaBelle on being called a legend: “I have earned it”

Published

on

Patti LaBelle on being called a legend: “I have earned it”


Patti LaBelle has been singing for six decades, earning hit records, Grammys and the nickname the “Godmother of Soul.” As she celebrates her 82nd birthday on Sunday, she said she’s “having fun living it down.” 

“At 82, I am really living it down, not up. But having fun living it down. I play cards. We have card games on Saturday nights,” LaBelle said. “How easy is it to play cards and take other folks’ money? That’s what I do, and I love it.”

Just like her high notes, she has staying power. LaBelle is still professionally singing, something she said she has to do.

“Singing is my life,” she said, adding that her voice is “big. It’s loud. It’s soft. It can rap. It can do opera, on a good day.” 

LaBelle spent her childhood in Philadelphia, a place she still calls home. Back then, she was a shy girl named Patsy Holt.

“My mother had to pay me to go outside. I was very, very, very shy. I would sing in my bedroom with the broom as a microphone. So I knew I had a voice and my mother and father loved my voice,” LaBelle said. 

At age 10, she joined a church choir where a duet unlocked the magic of performing. She said she still remembers getting the chills the moment when everyone stood up and said, “Hallelujah.”

As a teen, she started singing with a group. A record label executive suggested she change her name to LaBelle, which means beautiful, but with that advice came a nasty assessment. He called her “quite ugly.” 

“It gave me hurt, just total, total hurt, because I knew how much he loved my voice. And I knew, no matter what anyone said about me, I am who I am, I’m not gonna change. The only thing that changed was my nose. I had a huge nose, so I had it done,” she said. “And that’s all I’ve ever had done. My nose, because it was not pleasing to me.” 

When Patti LaBelle and the Blue Belles became simply Labelle, they changed their style to what the singer described as “outrageous crazy outfits.” They turned “Lady Marmalade,” a song about a Creole prostitute, into a classic hit.

“We were singing about the revolution and sexual things before any Black girl or White girl group sang,” LaBelle said. 

“When we sang [Lady Marmalade], we didn’t know what ‘voulez-vous coucher avec moi’ meant. It means, ‘Will you sleep with me tonight?’ So we got a lotta flak from the nuns and different people. And I was saying, at that time, ‘Well, a hooker has to make money too,'” she laughed. 

The group split in 1977 but stayed friends. LaBelle said she was petrified when she stepped out as a solo artist for the first time. Getting therapy “helped a whole lot,” she said. 

“I learned that I’m never gonna stop singing. And if it’s with a group or alone, that’s what I’m gonna do for the rest of my life,” LaBelle said. 

LaBelle’s other talent is cooking. She’s written several bestselling cookbooks and has her own line of food and houseware products, Patti’s Good Life. Her hometown is filled with fans, and even visiting a Philadelphia ShopRite to hand out pancake mix caused quite a stir.   

LaBelle isn’t planning to give up singing anytime soon. 

“It’s never my last show. I’ll be singing until I can’t no more,” she said. 

And on her 82nd birthday, maybe the real gift is that LaBelle knows exactly who she is — a mother, grandmother, and yes, a legend.

“I love it. I should be called, ‘Legend, legend, legend, legend.’ Yes. I love it,” she laughed. “I have earned it. Yes, I have.”

WEB EXCLUSIVE: Watch an extended interview with Patti LaBelle (Video)



Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Christopher Nolan’s ‘The Odyssey’ trailer sparks major backlash online

Published

on

Christopher Nolan’s ‘The Odyssey’ trailer sparks major backlash online


The first trailer for The Odyssey has sparked major discussion online, with the reaction becoming far more intense than many fans expected.

Director Christopher Nolan is known for highly praised films, so excitement around The Odyssey was already huge before the teaser arrived.

However, soon after the trailer was released, it became one of the most disliked videos connected to Nolan on YouTube.

A large part of the backlash came from online rumours about Elliot Page possibly appearing in the movie.

Fans began sharing theories that Page could be playing Achilles after noticing certain moments in the trailer and discussing possible casting clues online.

Although nothing has been officially confirmed, the rumours quickly led to heated arguments across social media.

The trailer also faced criticism from some viewers who felt Nolan’s version of the classic Greek story looked too modern.

Others compared it to fantasy blockbusters that have already been released in recent years.

At the same time, many fans defended the teaser and praised its cinematography, scale and cast.

The movie stars Matt Damon as Odysseus alongside Tom Holland, Zendaya, Anne Hathaway and Robert Pattinson.

Even with the backlash, the controversy has only made more people curious about the film before its July 2026 release.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

5/24: Sunday Morning

Published

on

5/24: Sunday Morning



Hosted by Lee Cowan. Featured: Concours d’LeMons, Iranian propaganda, Patti LaBelle.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending