Connect with us

Politics

Bangladesh’s Yunus announces resignation, end of interim govt

Published

on

Bangladesh’s Yunus announces resignation, end of interim govt


Nobel Peace laureate Muhammad Yunus speaks at the Trust Women Conference, London, Britain. — Reuters/File
Nobel Peace laureate Muhammad Yunus speaks at the Trust Women Conference, London, Britain. — Reuters/File
  • “That was the day of great liberation,” says Yunus.
  • Newly-elected lawmakers expected to sworn in on Tuesday.
  • Ex-interim leader congratulated BNP over landslide victory.

DHAKA: Bangladesh’s interim leader Muhammad Yunus stepped down on Monday in a farewell broadcast to the nation before handing over to an elected government.

“Today, the interim government is stepping down,” the 85-year-old Nobel Peace Prize winner said.

“But let the practice of democracy, freedom of speech, and fundamental rights that has begun not be halted.”

Yunus returned from self-imposed exile in August 2024, days after the iron-fisted government of Sheikh Hasina was overthrown by a student-led uprising and she fled by helicopter to India.

“That was the day of great liberation,” he said. “What a day of joy it was! Bangladeshis across the world shed tears of happiness. The youth of our country freed it from the grip of a demon.”

He has led Bangladesh as its “chief adviser” since, and now hands over power after congratulating the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and its leader Tarique Rahman on a “landslide victory” in elections last week.

“The people, voters, political parties, and stakeholder institutions linked to the election have set a commendable example,” Yunus said.

“This election has set a benchmark for future elections.”

Rahman, 60, chief of the BNP and scion of one of the country’s most powerful political dynasties, will lead the South Asian nation of 170 million.

‘Rebuilt institutions’

Bangladeshi voters endorsed sweeping democratic reforms in a national referendum, a key pillar of Yunus’s post-uprising transition agenda, on the same day as the elections.

The lengthy document, known as the “July Charter” after the month when the uprising that toppled Hasina began, proposes term limits for prime ministers, the creation of an upper house of parliament, stronger presidential powers and greater judicial independence.

“We did not start from zero — we started from a deficit,” he said.

“Sweeping away the ruins, we rebuilt institutions and set the course for reforms.”

The referendum noted that approval would make the charter “binding on the parties that win” the election, obliging them to endorse it.

However, several parties raised questions before the vote, and the reforms will still require ratification by the new parliament.

The BNP alliance won 212 seats, compared with 77 for the Jamaat-e-Islami-led alliance, according to the Election Commission.

Jamaat chief Shafiqur Rahman conceded on Saturday, saying his party would “serve as a vigilant, principled, and peaceful opposition.”

Newly elected lawmakers are expected to be sworn in on Tuesday, after which Tarique Rahman is set to become Bangladesh’s next prime minister.

Police records show that political clashes during the campaign period killed five people and injured more than 600.

However, despite weeks of turbulence ahead of the polls, voting day passed without major unrest and the country has responded to the results with relative calm.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Pakistan, Austria Agree to Strengthen Bilateral Ties Across Key Sectors

Published

on

Pakistan, Austria Agree to Strengthen Bilateral Ties Across Key Sectors



Pakistan and Austria have agreed to further cement their bilateral relationship in diverse fields including economic cooperation, trade and investment, tourism, hospitality, education, IT, healthcare, human resource development and mobility.

The understanding was reached during a meeting between Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Austrian Federal Chancellor Christian Stocker in Vienna on Monday.

Both leaders agreed to work towards the early finalization of Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) covering these priority sectors. They also exchanged views on regional and global developments, reaffirming the central role of the United Nations in addressing challenges related to peace and security, peaceful dispute resolution, sustainable development, climate action and the promotion of human rights.

The two sides expressed their shared commitment to multilateralism and appreciated mutual support for each other’s candidatures at international forums, while pledging to work with the global community to strengthen the UN system.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Chancellor Stocker also co-chaired a CEOs Forum comprising leading Austrian and Pakistani companies. The participating firms represented sectors such as renewable energy, energy efficiency, industrial manufacturing and construction, IT, textiles, surgical equipment, leather and sports goods, healthcare, tourism and hospitality, and food and agro-industries.

It was agreed to enhance government-to-government (G2G), government-to-business (G2B), and business-to-business (B2B) engagements through effective utilization of existing platforms.

The Prime Minister invited Austrian businesses to participate in the upcoming EU-Pakistan Business Forum scheduled to be held in Islamabad in April.

Shehbaz Sharif thanked Chancellor Stocker for the productive meetings, expressing hope that the visit would provide fresh momentum to bilateral ties. He also extended an invitation to the Austrian Chancellor to undertake an official visit to Pakistan at his earliest convenience.

Upon his arrival at the Federal Chancellery, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif was received by Chancellor Stocker and accorded a guard of honour. He later held a restricted meeting with the Chancellor, followed by delegation-level talks.

 



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

It will be hard to make deal with Iran, says US secretary of state

Published

on

It will be hard to make deal with Iran, says US secretary of state


US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to media at Shannon Airport in Shannon, Ireland, March 12, 2025. — Reuters
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to media at Shannon Airport in Shannon, Ireland, March 12, 2025. — Reuters
  • Iran seeks sanctions relief in exchange for nuclear curbs.
  • US deploys warships, prepares for possible military campaign.
  • IAEA demands Iran account for missing enriched uranium.

BUDAPEST: A day before Washington–Tehran nuclear talks in Geneva, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has said that making a deal with Iran will be difficult.

The US secretary of state made the remarks during his visit to the Hungarian capital Budapest on Monday.

He said: “I think that there’s an opportunity here to diplomatically reach an agreement that addresses the things we’re concerned about. We’ll be very open and welcoming to that. But I don’t want to overstate it either.”

“It’s going to be hard. It’s been very difficult for anyone to do real deals with Iran, because we’re dealing with … who are making theological decisions, not geopolitical ones,” Rubio said:

Meanwhile, Iran’s foreign minister met with the UN nuclear watchdog chief today.

The development came as Washington, which joined Israel in a wave of air strikes on Iran in June, has ordered a second aircraft carrier strike group to the Middle East in the latest standoff with Tehran, in addition to other US warships and aircraft that have already been deployed.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi meets with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Rafael Grossi in Geneva, Switzerland, February 16, 2026. — Reuters
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi meets with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Rafael Grossi in Geneva, Switzerland, February 16, 2026. — Reuters 

Adding to the tension, Iran began a military drill on Monday in the Strait of Hormuz, a vital international waterway and oil export route from Gulf Arab states, who have been appealing for diplomacy to end the dispute.

The US and Iran renewed negotiations earlier this month hoping to tackle their dispute over Tehran’s nuclear program, which Washington, other Western states and Israel all believe is aimed at building nuclear arms. Tehran denies this.

Scope of talks expands to missile stockpile

However, Washington has sought to expand the scope of talks to non-nuclear issues such as Iran’s missile stockpile. Tehran says it is only willing to discuss curbs on its nuclear programme in exchange for sanctions relief and won’t accept zero uranium enrichment. It says its missile capabilities are off the table.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said he was in Geneva to “achieve a fair and equitable deal”.

“What is not on the table: submission before threats,” Araqchi said on X.

Iran has repeatedly threatened to close the Strait of Hormuz in retaliation against any attack, which would choke a fifth of global oil flows and send crude prices sharply higher.

The waterway connects the biggest Gulf oil producers, such as Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq and the United Arab Emirates, with the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards have conducted a drill named “Smart Control of the Strait of Hormuz”, to test the readiness of the guards’ naval units to protect the waterway, the semi-official Tasnim news agency said on Monday.

“Intelligently utilising the geopolitical advantages of the Islamic Republic in the Persian Gulf and the Sea of Oman are among the main objectives of this exercise,” Tasnim said.

Iran’s civil defence organisation held a chemical defence drill in the Pars Special Economic Energy Zone on Monday to strengthen preparedness for potential chemical incidents in the energy hub located in southern Iran.

Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi on Sunday signalled Iran’s readiness to compromise on its nuclear programme in return for sanctions relief, telling the BBC that the ball was “in America’s court to prove that they want to do a deal.”

Prior to the US joining Israel in striking Iranian nuclear sites in June, Iran-US nuclear talks had stalled over Washington’s demand that Tehran forgo enrichment on its soil, which the US views as a pathway to an Iranian nuclear weapon.

Iran says its nuclear programme is solely for civilian purposes and is ready to assuage concerns regarding nuclear weapons by “building trust that enrichment is and will stay for peaceful purposes.”

Iran’s Foreign Ministry said Araqchi had discussed cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency, as well as Tehran’s technical point of view regarding nuclear talks with the US during his meeting with IAEA head Rafael Grossi.

IAEA seeks clarity on enriched uranium

The IAEA has been calling on Iran for months to say what happened to its stockpile of 440 kg (970 pounds) of highly enriched uranium following Israeli-US strikes and let inspections fully resume, including in three key sites that were bombed in June last year: Natanz, Fordow and Isfahan.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday he told US President Donald Trump last week that any US deal with Iran must include the dismantling of Iran’s nuclear infrastructure, not just stopping the enrichment process.

Netanyahu said he is sceptical of a deal but it must include enriched material leaving Iran. “There shall be no enrichment capability – not stopping the enrichment process, but dismantling the equipment and the infrastructure that allows you to enrich in the first place,” he said.





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Alleged Bondi Beach gunman makes first court appearance

Published

on

Alleged Bondi Beach gunman makes first court appearance


Two people embrace as police officers stand guard outside Bondi Pavilion following the attack on a Jewish holiday celebration at Sydneys Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, December 15, 2025. — Reuters
Two people embrace as police officers stand guard outside Bondi Pavilion following the attack on a Jewish holiday celebration at Sydney’s Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, December 15, 2025. — Reuters 
  • Naveed Akram faces 59 charges over December 14 attack.
  • Akram appears via video link from Goulburn Correctional Centre.
  • Akram seat smostly in silence during the proceedings.

A man accused of opening fire on a Jewish Hanukkah celebration at Sydney’s famed Bondi Beach in an attack that killed 15 people appeared in court for the first time on Monday, Australian media reported.

Naveed Akram, 24, faces 59 charges over the December 14 attack, including 15 counts of murder, 40 counts of wounding with intent to murder and a terror offence.

Police allege he carried out the mass shooting with his father Sajid, 50, who was shot dead at the scene.

During a brief status mention at a Sydney court on Monday, Akram appeared via video link from Goulburn Correctional Centre, a maximum-security prison southwest of Sydney, where he is being held on remand, media reported.

Akram wore prison greens and sat mostly in silence during the proceedings. He spoke only to acknowledge that he heard a discussion about extending non-publication orders for the details of the victims.

Outside court, Akram’s lawyer Ben Archbold said his client was doing “as well as he can be” given the “very onerous conditions” in prison.

Archbold said it was too early to say how Akram would plead and that he had not discussed details of the alleged attack with him.

“I haven’t spoken to him about the attack in that regard,” he told reporters.

“All that we’re doing at the moment is starting the process … we’re waiting for the brief to be served, there’s nothing more I can say.”

Archbold added that he had visited Akram in prison.

“He’s just a client, and he’s a client that needs to be represented. And we don’t let our personal view get in the way of our professional obligations. The matter has been adjourned, I have nothing more to say.”

The case is expected to return to court in April.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending