Connect with us

Sports

The favorite in slalom, Mikaela Shiffrin aims for Olympic gold

Published

on

The favorite in slalom, Mikaela Shiffrin aims for Olympic gold


CORTINA D’AMPEZZO, Italy — On Wednesday, Mikaela Shiffrin will enter the start gate of the Olympic slalom as the favorite for gold. On Sunday, she took a giant step toward that result.

Shiffrin was not expected to medal in Sunday’s giant slalom. Despite being the 2018 Olympic gold medalist in the event, and the all-time World Cup wins leader, Shiffrin only recently returned to a GS podium in January. Less than a year ago, she didn’t know if she would ever stand in another giant slalom start gate.

“After the injury last year and then returning to GS racing, I was so far off,” Shiffrin said Sunday. “I felt like there was no hope to be faster.”

That’s why her 11th-place finish in Sunday’s giant slalom felt like a win for the 30-year-old and why, all smiles in the mixed zone after the race, she called it “a beautiful day of racing.” Shiffrin skied smooth, tight lines with confidence and said she was pushing and “turning nervous energy into intensity and taking power from the course.” Her result was within a few tenths of the podium, a positive step in the right direction.

“To be here now, just in touch of the fastest women, that’s huge for me,” Shiffrin said. “I’m so proud.”

Fifteen months ago in November 2024, Shiffrin crashed in a GS race in Killington, Vermont, on a day she was attempting to win her 100th World Cup title at her home race. She slid off course and into the safety nets and, once in the ambulance, medics realized she had been impaled in her abdomen, likely by the slalom gate she crashed into. Her physical recovery from the injury was grueling. Her mental journey back to racing took longer.

Shiffrin has spoken openly about managing her struggles with post-traumatic stress disorder as she fought her way back. In an essay for The Players’ Tribune last May, she wrote that after the crash, her mind and body had become disconnected — the ski racing equivalent of the “twisties.”

“You absolutely need to be able to trust that what you see happening in your mind is fully connected with what you then do with your body,” she wrote. “If that connection is off … the danger level increases exponentially.”

Shiffrin began to find her footing again through therapy and exposure — and by letting go of the outcome. When she stopped caring about times, podiums or medals, fear began to loosen its grip. In January, she finished third in a World Cup giant slalom, her first podium since the crash.

And then she came to the Olympics, where expectations and pressure are unavoidable and unlike on the World Cup circuit, another opportunity comes only once every four years. The first week of these Games alone have seen several top athletes succumb to the pressure, including Shiffrin, who finished 15th of 18 racers in the slalom leg of last week’s team combined, squandering the lead her teammate, Breezy Johnson, had built after the downhill.

That’s why on Sunday, she said she was taking only positives from her performance in the GS, an event she hasn’t raced consistently since her injury. “I was like, I don’t know, maybe I’ll never race GS again,” Shiffrin said. “And here we are, in a totally different position, and it shows that you can fight.”

Wednesday’s slalom will be different.

The slalom is Shiffrin’s best event. Seventy-one of her record 108 World Cup wins have come in the slalom — more than any skier in any discipline ever — and this season alone, she has won seven of eight starts and already clinched her ninth slalom Crystal Globe.

But Shiffrin has a rocky relationship with the Olympics. She’s a two-time Olympic gold medalist, yet she hasn’t earned a medal in her past eight Olympic starts. For Shiffrin, as for most ski racers, success has been punctuated with crashes, injuries, setbacks and comebacks, as well as big wins in big moments when the world is watching.

At 18, she became the youngest Olympic slalom champion in history in Sochi. She hasn’t won Olympic slalom gold since.

In Pyeongchang, she left with giant slalom gold — and disappointment.

In Beijing, she unraveled. Expected to medal in at least three of the six events she raced, she medaled in none.

“I don’t want Beijing to be the reason that I’m scared of the Olympics,” Shiffrin told Olympics.com last fall. Shortly before arriving in Cortina, she recorded an episode of her podcast in which she talked about coming to terms with an awareness that “the Olympics are not designed for the comfort or to prioritize performance of the athletes and teams competing.”

The season after her disappointing Beijing Games, Shiffrin broke the World Cup wins record. She suffered injuries over the next two seasons, has been unstoppable in the slalom this year and has had a confounding start to her fourth Olympics.

Even for the greatest of all time, success is not linear.

On Wednesday, Shiffrin has two runs to trust her mind and her body — and to trust herself to be the best in the world. She said she and her team had a “really wonderful” session of slalom training and that she’s heading into her final race with more knowledge of what it takes to ski fast on this course, and with a new mentality.

“There were a lot of turns where I was quite quick on the team combined day, and a handful where there was just a misalignment,” Shiffrin said. “And then my mentality was not matching the day. So I’m going into [Wednesday] with my eyes open that we can see a very similar situation [to last week]. And I will try to handle it differently.”

On Wednesday, handling it differently might mean more than gold.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo wins record 10th Olympic gold

Published

on

Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo wins record 10th Olympic gold


Norway’s Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo has won a 10th gold medal in cross country skiing at the Milan Cortina Olympics, setting another Winter Games record.

The 29‑year‑old, racing with Einar Hedegart, won the men’s team sprint Wednesday for his fifth gold at the 2026 Games.

Klaebo’s victory made him only the second Olympian ever — along with swimming great Michael Phelps — with 10 gold medals. Phelps won 23 golds over four Olympics from 2004 to 2016, including eight wins at the 2008 Beijing Games.

Klaebo broke the Winter Olympics record in Sunday’s 4×7.5-kilometer relay, and he will look to go 6-for-6 at these Games in Saturday’s 50-kilometer mass start. He would join three swimmers — Phelps (twice), Mark Spitz and Kristin Otto — and gymnast Vitaly Scherbo with at least six golds at one Olympics.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Galatasaray thrash 10-man Juve in UCL play-off 1st leg | The Express Tribune

Published

on

Galatasaray thrash 10-man Juve in UCL play-off 1st leg | The Express Tribune


Noa Lang (C) scored twice as Galatasaray thumped Juventus 5-2. Photo: AFP


ISTANBUL:

Dutch midfielder Noa Lang scored a brace as Galatasaray thumped Juventus 5-2 in a pulsating contest in Istanbul on Tuesday in the first leg of a Champions League playoff.

In a nerve-shredding atmosphere, Luciano Spalletti’s Juventus actually led 2-1 at half-time after Teun Koopmeiners replied to Brazilian midfielder Gabriel Sara’s opener with a brace of his own.

But Colombian full-back Juan Cabal was dismissed for two bookings in a calamitous second half as Lang’s brace and goals from Davinson Sanchez and Sacha Boey sunk the Old Lady, who faced a miserable return to Turin.

“We took several steps backwards,” moaned Spalletti, whose team had been rejuvenated since he took over in late October with Juve seventh in Serie A and languishing outside the play-off spots in the Champions League after failing to win any of their first three matches.

“We finished the first half badly, we tried to sort things out but we lacked personality and character,” added the 66-year-old.

“Obviously the sending off weighed heavily on us, but we also played our part… We didn’t realise the danger in what we were doing.”

This was Juve’s joint-second heaviest defeat in European competition, after their 7-0 humbling by Wiener Sport-Club, who currently play in Austria’s regional leagues, back in 1958.

Sara opened the scoring with a slick left-footed strike from just inside the box on 15 minutes, but that lead was short-lived.

Gala goalkeeper Ugurcan Cakir could only parry Khephren Thuram’s powerful header into the path of the onrushing Koopmeiners, who tapped in the leveller just a minute later.

Koopmeiners then picked out the top corner from the edge of the box on 32 minutes after a clever exchange with US midfielder Weston McKennie.

That was as good as it got for the visitors, though.

Okan Buruk’s Turkish champions ran riot after the break as Lang pounced on a loose ball in the six-yard box to level on 49 minutes.

Sanchez nodded Gala ahead on the hour mark as the home fans ramped up the volume.

Juve complained of an unfair dismissal in their 3-2 defeat to Serie A leaders Inter Milan at the weekend, but they could have no issues with Cabal’s sending off on 67 minutes.

Lang bagged his brace shortly afterwards as he pounced on the loose ball after Victor Osimhen robbed English centre-back Lloyd Kelly from Thuram’s poor pass inside his own box.

Substitute Boey ensured Gala would take a commanding lead to Turin next week as he lashed home from an angle five minutes from time.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Australia face rebuild after T20 World Cup flop

Published

on

Australia face rebuild after T20 World Cup flop


Australia’s Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Marsh talks during play on June 8, 2024. — Reuters

MELBOURNE: Australia’s group-stage exit from the T20 World Cup stands as one of the most calamitous campaigns in the team’s limited-overs history, and a rebuild looms for the former white-ball titans.

Having entered the global showpiece with injuries, players out of form and scant preparations, Mitchell Marsh’s team were embarrassed by Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka before a washed-out match sealed their elimination on Tuesday.

Once respected for their big-tournament prowess, the 2021 champions and six-times 50-over World Cup winners appeared bereft without the leadership and bowling quality of their big three pacemen, with Mitchell Starc retired from T20 internationals and Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood sidelined with injuries.

The Australians are now left with a dead rubber against cricket minnows Oman and plenty of questions from former players and pundits over selections and team management.

“Massive challenges lie ahead and this campaign spells out in big bold pen that Australia is not as well stocked as it thinks it is,” local cricket writer Robert Craddock wrote in the Courier Mail on Wednesday.

Olympic ambitions

Australia host the next T20 World Cup in 2028 but will be eyeing a bigger prize a few months before that when cricket is reintroduced to the Olympics in LA.

While the final qualifying system for the six-nation Olympic tournament is yet to be signed off, Australia have done themselves no favours.

World rankings are expected to decide automatic qualifying, and Australia’s will take a hit from their early elimination.

Oceania rivals New Zealand, who qualified for the World Cup’s Super Eight phase, will be emboldened and may end up in a position to snatch Australia’s spot at the Games.

In the meantime, Australia will confront what appears to be a sign of their sporting mortality as a slew of their ageing champions struggle for fitness and approach the end of their careers.

Hazlewood has been sidelined for months after Achilles and hamstring injuries, while test and ODI captain Cummins played only a single Ashes test since the West Indies tour in mid-2025 while struggling with a lower back problem.

Master batter Steve Smith, drafted into the World Cup squad as a late injury replacement but not picked for a game, has declared he wants an Olympic medal in LA.

But he will be 39 when the Games start.

Other senior players are of a similar vintage, including all-rounders Marcus Stoinis and Glenn Maxwell, who have been mainstays of Australia’s white-ball dominance.

While selectors have made efforts to bring in a new generation of players, few have performed at a consistently high level for fans to feel assured about the future.

The pace trio of Nathan Ellis, Ben Dwarshuis and Xavier Bartlett have come in for rough treatment from batters at the World Cup, while all-rounder Cooper Connolly’s miserable run with the bat continued in Sri Lanka.

T20 cricket has never been Australia’s biggest priority, and their early exit from the World Cup may not trigger the kind of root-and-branch review that an Ashes defeat would bring.

However, with the Olympics and a home World Cup on the horizon, Australia has no choice but to kick off a rebuild for a white-ball team whose aura has all but disappeared.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending