Sports
India tune up for Super Eights with hard-fought win over the Dutch | The Express Tribune
Dube hits a quickfire 66, including two sixes and a four off Colin Ackermann, reaching fifty off 25 balls
Defending champions India beat a spirited Netherlands team by 17 runs on Wednesday ahead of their meeting with South Africa in the Super Eights of the T20 World Cup.
India posted 193-6 and then kept the Dutch down to 176-7 with spinner Varun Chakravarthy returning figures of 3-14 in Ahmedabad to stay unbeaten in their four matches in Group A.
But a tough test awaits the co-hosts at the same venue on Sunday when they face South Africa, who emerged top of a potentially tricky Group D that featured New Zealand and Afghanistan.
India finish top of their group ahead of arch-rivals Pakistan, but need to fix holes in their batting including the form of opener Abhishek Sharma, who fell for his third straight duck in the tournament.
“I mean, you can’t say that we have ticked almost all the boxes, but even if you win, you learn something out of it,” skipper Suryakumar Yadav said. “And we have learned a few areas. We’ll go back to the rooms, have a day off tomorrow, and have a chat on that.”
Read More: T20 World Cup: India bowl out Pakistan to seal 61-run victory
Abhishek was bowled on the third ball by off-spinner Aryan Dutt after India elected to bat first at the world’s biggest cricket stadium. India were teetering at 110-4 before Shivam Dube hit a counter-attacking 66 and put on a key stand of 76 with Hardik Pandya (30).
“This is a World Cup and the game gets difficult sometimes,” player of the match Dube, who also took two wickets, told reporters. “It was a little tough on the wicket, but yeah, this is the situation I love to bat and I was enjoying.”
The Dube effect
Several batters got starts but failed to capitalise as Ishan Kishan fell for 18, Tilak Varma made 31 and Suryakumar contributed 34. But Dube kept calm and hit a few lusty blows including two sixes and a four off off-spinner Colin Ackermann, reaching his fifty off 25 balls.
He and Pandya ensured India’s innings finished strongly although both were dismissed in the final over at the 110,000-capacity stadium, which had a turnout of over 68,000 fans.
Dube, who hit four fours and six sixes in his 31-ball knock, was caught by substitute fielder Tim van der Gugten on the boundary rope, with Pandya picking out a fielder in the deep off the final delivery by Logan van Beek.
Dutt returned impressive figures of 2-19 from his four overs.
In reply, the Dutch openers started cautiously before Max O’Dowd fell bowled for 20 off Chakravarthy and Pandya dismissed Michael Levitt, for 24. Bas de Leede and Ackermann attempted to put the chase back on track in their stand of 43 but Chakravarthy broke through with his mystery spin.
Also Read: South Africa fire Super Eights warning to India
He sent back Ackermann, for 23, and then bowled Dutt on the next ball, before the hat-trick was avoided by skipper Scott Edwards.
The ever-increasing run rate forced the Dutch to take risks and in the process lose their wickets as De Leede (33) fell to Dube and Jasprit Bumrah took down Edwards.
Zach Lion-Cachet (26) and Noah Croes, who made an unbeaten 25, hit regular boundaries in a desperate attempt to pull off a miracle but India had runs to play with and, despite two dropped catches in the last over, saw out the match.
Sports
Eileen Gu’s interaction with reporter over winning silver instead of gold goes viral: ‘Ridiculous perspective’
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
American-born Team China Olympic skier Eileen continues to center herself as the most polarizing subject of the Milan Cortina Winter Games.
An interaction Tuesday with a reporter went viral after Gu responded to a question about her winning two silver medals instead of gold so far this Olympics, suggesting the question came from a “ridiculous perspective.”
Silver medalist Eileen Gu of China poses for photos after the awarding ceremony of the freestyle skiing women’s freeski big air event at the Milan-Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games in Livigno, Italy, Feb. 16, 2026. (Wang Peng/Xinhua via Getty Images)
“I’m the most decorated female freeskier in history. I think that’s an answer in and of itself,” Gu said when asked if she saw her two medals as “silvers earned” or “golds lost.”
FORMER NBA PLAYER ENES KANTER FREEDOM CALLS EILEEN GU ‘A TRAITOR’ FOR REPRESENTING CHINA AT OLYMPICS
“How do I say this? Winning a medal at the Olympics is a life-changing experience for every athlete. Doing it five times is exponentially harder because every medal is equally hard for me, but everybody else’s expectations rise, right?
“The two medals lost situation, to be quite frank with you, I think is kind of a ridiculous perspective to take. I’m showcasing my best skiing. I’m doing things that quite literally have never been done before. So, I think that is more than good enough, but thank you.”
Gu’s answer drew mixed reactions on social media after she had already been a target of immense global criticism for her decision to represent China over her home country, the U.S.
Gu has won two silver medals in freestyle skiing in Milan Cortina in the slopestyle and big air events. She has one final event, the halfpipe, remaining Saturday and has an opportunity to add to her total.
AMERICAN OLYMPIC SKIER HUNTER HESS ‘CANNOT WAIT TO REPRESENT TEAM USA’ AFTER TRUMP BACKLASH

Eileen Gu of China reacts after her first jump in the women’s freestyle skiing big air qualification during the Milano Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games at Livigno Snow Park Feb. 14, 2026. (Joe Camporeale/Imagn Images)
Gu has been the subject of global criticism since her decision to represent China dating back to the original decision in 2019 and her first Winter Olympics in Beijing in 2022. This year, that criticism has ramped up as she has won two silver medals and even responded to a question about President Donald Trump criticizing U.S. Olympian Hunter Hess for being critical of the current state of America.
“I’m sorry that the headline that is eclipsing the Olympics has to be something so unrelated to the spirit of the Games. It really runs contrary to everything the Olympics should be,” Gu told reporters Monday.
“The whole point of sport is to bring people together. … One of the very few common languages, that of the human body, that of the human spirit, the competitive spirit, the capacity to break not only records, but especially in our sport, literally the human limit. How wonderful is that?”
Gu also claimed she had been “caught in the crossfire” herself.
“As someone who has got caught in the crossfire before, I feel sorry for the athletes,” Gu said. “I hope that they can ski to their very best.”
Vice President JD Vance weighed in on the controversy surrounding Gu in an interview Tuesday on Fox News’ “The Story With Martha MacCallum.”
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Silver medalist Eileen Gu of China attends the awarding ceremony for the freestyle skiing women’s freeski big air event at the Milan Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games in Livigno, Italy, Feb. 16, 2026. (Hongxiang/Xinhua via Getty Images)
“I certainly think that someone who grew up in the United States of America who benefited from our education system, from the freedoms and liberties that makes this country a great place, I would hope they want to compete with the United States of America,” Vance said.
“So, I’m going to root for American athletes. I think part of that is people who identify themselves as Americans. That’s who I’m rooting for in this Olympics.”
Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.
Sports
Newcastle’s Anthony Gordon makes UCL history with 4-goal 1st half
Newcastle United forward Anthony Gordon has become just the second player to score four goals in the first half of a UEFA Champions League game and the first to do so in the knockout stage.
The England international’s record-breaking feat powered the Magpies into a commanding 6-1 win at Azerbaijan’s FK Qarabag in the first leg of their playoff round clash.
Gordon’s 33-minute hat trick was the fastest by an Englishman in the Champions League, and his tally in the competition now stands at 10 goals.
He is just the third Newcastle player to score a hat trick in the Champions League, and the first to do so in the knockout rounds.
“The records are nice, of course, but football is about the team,” Gordon told UEFA.com. “Individual moments only matter if the team succeeds and tonight, that was the most important thing.
“I’m very proud, not just of myself, but of everyone involved. It’s never easy to come here, so I’m really happy for the whole group.”
Gordon opened the scoring in Baku in just the third minute before Malick Thiaw doubled the Premier League side’s lead five minutes. After firing in a penalty in the 32nd minute, Gordon then rounded the opposition goalkeeper to complete his hat trick — the first of his senior career — barely a minute later.
The former Everton man then capped a memorable first half for he and his team by converting another penalty in stoppage time.
Among Englishman in the Champions League, only Harry Kane (11) has scored more goals in a season than Gordon.
The 24-year-old has already smashed Newcastle legend Alan Shearer’s previous record for most goals in a single Champions League season, which stood at six.
“He was really, really good in that first half,” Newcastle manager Eddie Howe said. “He started the press — a number of his goals came from his attitude off the ball.
“I was really pleased with his first goal as well because that was a key moment. It was a really good finish. He could have had more, but a very good display.”
Howe also played down an apparent half-time disagreement with captain Kieran Trippier after he completed his quadruple from the penalty spot, with teammate Nick Woltemade also offering his services.
“Anthony naturally wanted to take the second penalty and I understand why there’s a debate over it sometimes,” Howe said. “That’s not clear when there are two in one game. But he took both penalties superbly and I’m pleased with that.
“Kieran’s only ever trying to help the team, so I think it’s a positive situation rather than negative.”
Gordon failed to add to his tally in the second half, and Elvin Cafarquliyev pulled one back for Qarabag, which has been one of the surprise stories of this season’s Champions League after qualifying for the playoffs.
But Jacob Murphy‘s deflected strike completed the rout as Newcastle scored six goals in European competition for the first time in what was their 149th match.
Howe’s side will welcome Qarabag to St James’ Park next Tuesday knowing they are all-but assured of a last-16 showdown with either Barcelona or Premier League rivals Chelsea.
ESPN Research, PA and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Sports
Jon Scheyer claps back at DA over UNC court-storming dispute
Jon Scheyer said he “could have said even more” in response to a local district attorney’s claims that there was “zero evidence” to support the Duke coach’s initial claim that Blue Devils staffers were punched in a recent court storming at rival North Carolina.
Jeff Nieman, the district attorney for Orange County — which includes Chapel Hill, North Carolina — disputed Scheyer’s account of the Feb. 7 court-storming incident and added that Scheyer “should exercise more discretion” in his public comments.
Scheyer fired back at Nieman after the third-ranked Blue Devils’ 101-64 victory Monday over Syracuse.
“I would like to focus on Syracuse, but I’ll tell you that I know what I saw and I know what happened with our staff after the game — and that’s the bottom line,” Scheyer said. “I’m not going to circle back or get into — I don’t know what was said or wasn’t said or what people want to claim.
“But I know what happened, and I’m always going to support our staff in those situations and, again, I could have even said more, but I’m not going to do that.”
Seth Trimble‘s game-winning 3-pointer in the final seconds led to a pair of court-storming incidents for North Carolina, which defeated its archrival for the first time since the 2023-24 season.
After the loss, Scheyer claimed that some of his staff members had been “punched in the face” as UNC fans swarmed the court. A Duke spokesperson later said that one staff member had been hurt in the court storming without additional details.
Video of the aftermath appeared to show a person launching a bottle toward Duke players and staffers after the game.
Two days later, Scheyer clarified that one staff member had been hurt when they were “trampled,” adding that the staffer “looked like he had been in a complete brawl” after the game.
Nieman, a UNC graduate, originally sought video evidence of Scheyer’s claims. On Monday, he wrote on social media platform X that there was “zero evidence” of Scheyer’s original account. Furthermore, he said Scheyer’s comments could have created more issues.
“A week has passed, and what seemed likely is now patently obvious. There is zero evidence that anyone from Duke’s basketball program was ‘punched in the face’ at the Smith Center last week,” Nieman wrote. “Nor is there any evidence that a staffer was ‘trampled on the floor’ or ‘in a complete brawl,’ for that matter. Some have asked why I’m talking about this. It’s certainly not because of a sports rivalry. That’s no business of the DA’s Office. But I’ve seen firsthand how reckless accusations of violence incite more violence, and that is my business. Someone with the power and influence of a major men’s basketball coach should exercise more discretion before just saying things that can have real-world consequences.”
A week has passed, and what seemed likely is now patently obvious. There is zero evidence that anyone from Duke’s basketball program was “punched in the face” at the Smith Center last week. Nor is there any evidence that a staffer was “trampled on the floor” or “in a complete…
— DA Jeff Nieman (@JeffNiemanNC) February 16, 2026
After the game, North Carolina was fined $50,000 as part of new regulations and penalties for court storming.
“We accept the ACC’s fine for having unauthorized people on the court before Duke and the officials could completely clear the floor on Saturday,” UNC said in a statement after the fine was issued. “The video we have reviewed confirms we followed our protocols to get Duke’s players and bench personnel and the game officials off the floor safely. We will continue to review our protocols to provide the highest measures of safety in the event fans rush the court. We consider this matter closed and look forward to the rest of the season.”
After Monday’s game, Scheyer said the Blue Devils have put the UNC loss behind them.
“We’re moving on, and I’m really grateful for tonight’s win,” he said.
-
Business1 week agoAye Finance IPO Day 2: GMP Remains Zero; Apply Or Not? Check Price, GMP, Financials, Recommendations
-
Business1 week agoGold price today: How much 18K, 22K and 24K gold costs in Delhi, Mumbai & more – Check rates for your city – The Times of India
-
Fashion1 week agoComment: Tariffs, capacity and timing reshape sourcing decisions
-
Business6 days agoTop stocks to buy today: Stock recommendations for February 13, 2026 – check list – The Times of India
-
Fashion7 days agoIndia’s PDS Q3 revenue up 2% as margins remain under pressure
-
Politics7 days agoIndia clears proposal to buy French Rafale jets
-
Fashion1 week agoSaint Laurent retains top spot as hottest brand in Q4 2025 Lyst Index
-
Tech1 week agoRemoving barriers to tech careers
