Connect with us

Politics

Washington weighing strike on Iran as Tehran says draft deal coming soon

Published

on

Washington weighing strike on Iran as Tehran says draft deal coming soon


Irans Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi attends a press conference following a meeting with Russias Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Moscow, Russia, April 18, 2025. — Reuters
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi attends a press conference following a meeting with Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Moscow, Russia, April 18, 2025. — Reuters
  • Washington does not push for complete enrichment halt.
  • “Confidence building measures” would be enacted: Iranian FM.
  • US president sets 10-15 day deadline for Iran nuclear deal.

PARIS: US President Donald Trump said he was considering a limited strike on Iran after ordering a major naval buildup in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran to cut a deal to curb its nuclear programme.

The latest threat came after Iran’s foreign minister said a draft proposal for an agreement with Washington would be ready in a matter of days following negotiations between the two sides in Geneva earlier this week.

Trump had suggesting on Thursday that “bad things” would happen if Tehran did not strike a deal within 10 days, which he subsequently extended to 15.

Asked by a reporter on Friday whether he was contemplating a limited military strike, Trump answered: “The most I can say — I am considering it.”

After the talks in Geneva, Tehran said the two sides had agreed to submit drafts of a potential agreement, which Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told US media would be the “next step”.

“I believe that in the next two, three days, that would be ready, and after final confirmation by my superiors, that would be handed over to Steve Witkoff,” he said, referring to Trump´s main Middle East negotiator.

Araghchi also said US negotiators had not requested that Tehran end its nuclear enrichment programme, contradicting statements from American officials.

“We have not offered any suspension, and the US side has not asked for zero enrichment,” he said in an interview released Friday by US TV network MS NOW.

“What we are now talking about is how to make sure that Iran’s nuclear programme, including enrichment, is peaceful and would remain peaceful forever,” he added.

His comments stand in contrast to information relayed by high-ranking US officials, including Trump, who has repeatedly said Iran must not be allowed to enrich uranium at any level.

Western countries accuse the Islamic republic of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons, which Tehran denies, though it insists on its right to enrichment for civilian purposes.

Iran, for its part, is seeking to negotiate an end to sanctions that have proven to be a massive drag on its economy.

Economic hardships sparked protests in December that evolved into a nationwide anti-government movement last month, prompting a crackdown from authorities that left thousands dead, rights groups say.

‘No ultimatum’

The two foes held an initial round of discussions on February 6 in Oman, the first since previous talks collapsed during the 12-day Iran-Israel war last June, which the US joined by striking Iranian nuclear facilities.

Washington has pursued a major military build-up in the region in tandem with the talks, and both sides have traded threats of military action for weeks.

On Thursday, Trump again suggested the US would attack Iran if it did not make a deal within the timeframe he laid out.

“We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen,” Trump told the inaugural meeting of the “Board of Peace”, his initiative for the post-war Gaza Strip.

Iran’s ambassador to the UN, Amir Saeid Iravani, warned that US bases, facilities and assets would be “legitimate targets” if the United States followed through on its threats.

Araghchi, however, insisted that “there is no ultimatum”.

“We only talk with each other how we can have a fast deal. And a fast deal is something that both sides are interested about,” he said.

“We are under sanctions, (so) obviously any day that sanctions are terminated sooner it would be better for us,” he said, adding Iran had “no reason to delay”.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s trade tariff measures

Published

on

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s trade tariff measures



 The US Supreme Court has ruled President Donald Trump’s global trade tariff measures unconstitutional and invalid, delivering a major setback to his economic agenda.The court, in its Friday ruling, stated that Trump exceeded his authority when imposing tariffs, which had significantly disrupted international trade.

It clarified that the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) does not grant the president the power to unilaterally impose tariffs without congressional approval.

Experts say the decision is a serious blow to Trump’s economic strategy, as tariffs were a key tool in his trade policy. The ruling could also affect trade agreements implemented earlier this year and sets a precedent limiting the president’s ability to act without Congress.

It is noteworthy that President Trump had imposed tariffs on several countries, including Pakistan. Last month, he had warned that a court ruling against his tariffs could create economic challenges for the United States.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

UAE to build 8-exaflop AI supercomputer in India

Published

on

UAE to build 8-exaflop AI supercomputer in India


An AI (Artificial Intelligence) sign is seen at the World Artificial Intelligence Conference (WAIC) in Shanghai, China. — Reuters/File
An AI (Artificial Intelligence) sign is seen at the World Artificial Intelligence Conference (WAIC) in Shanghai, China. — Reuters/File

ABU DHABI: Abu Dhabi will establish a national-scale artificial intelligence (AI) supercomputer in India with a computing capacity of 8 exaflops, marking a new phase in the country’s AI infrastructure development.

The project was announced on the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit 2026 in New Delhi.

It follows the fifth India-UAE Strategic Dialogue, held in December 2025, and the visit of UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to India in January 2026, which strengthened cooperation in defence, technology, space, and energy.

The system will be delivered by G42, an Abu Dhabi-based global technology group, and US company Cerebras, which manufactures high-performance AI computing systems.

The initiative also involves Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence (MBZUAI), a postgraduate AI research university in Abu Dhabi, and India’s Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), a government-run body specialising in supercomputing and advanced IT research.

An 8 exaflop system is capable of performing eight quintillion calculations per second — that is, eight billion operations every second — placing it among the world’s most powerful computing platforms.

Officials say this will significantly expand India’s domestic capacity to train and run advanced AI models.

The supercomputer will be hosted within India and operate under governance frameworks defined by Indian authorities. All data will remain within national jurisdiction to meet sovereign security and regulatory requirements.

The project builds on earlier cooperation between G42 and MBZUAI. In December 2025, the two organisations released NANDA 87B, an open-source Hindi-English large language model containing 87 billion parameters, designed to support AI applications in regional languages.





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Rising UK youth unemployment tests govt over wage pledge

Published

on

Rising UK youth unemployment tests govt over wage pledge


Workers cross London Bridge during the morning rush hour with Tower Bridge seen behind, in London, Britain, December 16, 2025. — Reuters
Workers cross London Bridge during the morning rush hour with Tower Bridge seen behind, in London, Britain, December 16, 2025. — Reuters

The rise in Britain’s youth unemployment rate to a 10-year high is posing tough questions for the country’s centre-left government about its policy of phasing out a lower minimum wage for younger workers.

Official figures this week showed Britain’s jobless rate for people aged 16-24 rose to 16.1% in the final quarter of last year, up from 13.8% in the middle of 2025 and a record low of under 9.2% during the Covid-19 pandemic. Youth unemployment in Britain now exceeds that in the euro zone.

Many business groups and economists blame a sharp increase in the minimum wage alongside last April’s increase in employer social security charges and broader economic headwinds, while the impact from greater use of artificial intelligence remains harder to prove.

UK low-paid vacancies fell faster than in Germany, France

Jack Kennedy, senior economist at job site Indeed, said vacancies for jobs paying close to the minimum wage in Britain had fallen more sharply than those for higher-paid roles over the past three years – the opposite trend to Germany or France.

People walk alongside a Job Centre Plus in London, Britain, October 25, 2023. — Reuters
People walk alongside a Job Centre Plus in London, Britain, October 25, 2023. — Reuters

“The UK really stands out in terms of the weakening that we’ve seen in lower-paid job postings,” Kennedy said. “That does definitely illustrate the extent to which low-wage postings in the UK have been hit by policy changes: the National Insurance increase, the minimum wage increases, and so forth.”

Ben Caswell, senior economist at the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, said official data showed some of the sharpest rises in unemployment in the private sector between April and October 2025 had come in hospitality and retail.

“It’s definitely impacting younger workers more,” he said.

The IT sector had also seen above-average job losses, possibly due to AI, but overall there was little evidence of firms investing more in labour-saving technology in response to higher labour costs, Caswell said.

UK minimum was has risen sharply

For most of the time since Britain introduced a minimum wage in 1999, there was little sign that it hurt jobs. The headline unemployment rate hit its lowest since the 1970s at 3.6% in 2022.

A man walks past a job centre following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19), in Manchester, Britain, July 8, 2020. — Reuters
A man walks past a job centre following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (Covid-19), in Manchester, Britain, July 8, 2020. — Reuters

The previous Conservative government set a goal of raising the main minimum wage to two thirds of median earnings, making it one of the highest relative to earnings in Europe. It abolished lower minimum wage rates for workers aged 23-24 in 2021 and for 21 to 22-year-olds in 2024.

The current Labour government has pledged to end lower minimum pay rates for 18 to 20-year-old workers.

The main minimum wage rate now stands at £12.21 ($16.40) an hour – up 29% over the past three years – while the rate for 18 to 20-year-old workers has risen 46% to £10 an hour over the same period and is due to increase to £10.85 in April.

Approaches to youth minimum wage rates vary widely across Europe. France, which has a high minimum wage similar to Britain’s, does not lower it for younger workers except in certain training roles, while the Netherlands pays 18-year-olds half the hourly rate of those three years older.

Gareth Jones, managing director of In-Comm Training Services, said manufacturing and engineering firms, especially smaller ones, were becoming more reluctant to hire apprentices.

“There’s a lot of narrative around employers saying: ‘Why would we pay someone that’s completely unskilled that wage when we can get semi-skilled for the same or not too much more?’,” Jones said.

Tough market for job-hunters

For young people, finding work is often tough.

Workers cross London Bridge during the morning rush-hour in London, Britain, December 16, 2025. — Reuters
Workers cross London Bridge during the morning rush-hour in London, Britain, December 16, 2025. — Reuters

Alex Kelly, a 19-year-old film student, works at the bar of a working men’s club in southeast London near his family home, where he started washing glasses at the age of 16.

But the job does not offer reliable hours and he has not been able to find other work that fits around his studies.

“The applying process is really awful. If you do it online, then most of the time you’re not even getting a response,” Kelly said. “A lot of people I know have just stopped applying for jobs.”

Elsa Torres, 20, in her final year of a business studies degree in Liverpool, has been unable to find a part-time job, despite 70 applications, after the gastropub where she was a waitress closed down.

The Times reported on Wednesday that the government was considering abandoning its long-term plan to end the lower rate of pay for 18 to 20-year-olds.

In response, a government spokesperson said the minimum wage was going up “so that low-paid workers are properly rewarded”.

Minimum wage rates for 2027 will be set in October or November based on advice from a public body representing businesses, academics and trade unions.

Nye Cominetti, an economist at the Resolution Foundation, a think tank focused on issues affecting lower earners, said evidence that a higher minimum wage was to blame for youth unemployment was not cast-iron but was strong enough for the government to be more cautious about future rises.

“In a world where the youth labour market looks rocky … big increases in the youth minimum wage rate are probably the wrong way to go,” he said.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending