Politics
Iran and US views on sanctions relief differ, says Iranian official

- Next round of talks possible in early March: officials.
- Iran, US differ on sanctions relief, says Iranian official.
- Tehran says wants its right to enrichment to be recognised.
Iran and the United States have differing views over sanctions relief in talks to curb Tehran’s nuclear ambitions, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Sunday, adding that new talks were planned in early March as fears of a military confrontation grow.
Iran and the US renewed negotiations earlier this month to tackle their decades-long dispute over Tehran’s nuclear programme as the US builds up its military capability in the Middle East, fuelling fears of a wider war.
Iran has threatened to strike US bases in the Middle East if it is attacked by US forces.
“The last round of talks showed that US ideas regarding the scope and mechanism of sanctions relief differ from Iran’s demands. Both sides need to reach a logical timetable for lifting sanctions,” the official said.
“This roadmap must be reasonable and based on mutual interests.”
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Friday that he expected to have a draft counterproposal ready within days, while US President Donald Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.
Readiness to compromise
While rejecting a US demand for “zero enrichment” — a major sticking point in past negotiations — Tehran has signalled its readiness to compromise on its nuclear work.
Washington views enrichment inside Iran as a potential pathway to nuclear weapons. Iran denies seeking nuclear weapons and wants its right to enrich uranium to be recognised.
Washington has also demanded that Iran relinquish its stockpile of highly enriched uranium (HEU). The UN nuclear agency last year estimated that stockpile at more than 440 kg of uranium enriched to up to 60% fissile purity, a small step away from the 90% that is considered weapons grade.
The Iranian official said Tehran could seriously consider a combination of exporting part of its HEU stockpile, diluting the purity of its most highly enriched uranium and the establishment of a regional enrichment consortium in exchange for the recognition of Iran’s right to “peaceful nuclear enrichment”.
“The negotiations continue, and the possibility of reaching an interim agreement exists,” he said.
Benefits for both sides
Iranian authorities have said that a diplomatic solution delivers economic benefits for both Tehran and Washington.
“Within the economic package under negotiation, the United States has also been offered opportunities for serious investment and tangible economic interests in Iran’s oil industry,” the official said.
However, he said Tehran will not hand over control of its oil and mineral resources.
“Ultimately, the US can be an economic partner for Iran, nothing more. American companies can always participate as contractors in Iran’s oil and gas fields.”
Politics
UAE foils organised cyber attacks targeting digital infrastructure, vital sectors

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has thwarted organised cyber attacks targeting the country’s digital infrastructure and vital sectors, the state news agency said on Saturday.
The attacks “included attempts to infiltrate networks, deploy ransomware and conduct systematic phishing campaigns targeting national platforms,” and involved artificial intelligence technologies to develop offensive tools, it added.
The report did not say who was to blame for the attacks.
“In this context, the Cybersecurity Council affirmed that the safety of individuals, the protection of personal data, and the continuity of critical services remain top priorities,” WAM quoted the Cybersecurity Council as saying.
The council maintained that the safety of individuals, the protection of personal data, and the continuity of critical services remain its top priorities.
It added that national cybersecurity and cyber defence framework functions “continuously with high efficiency”.
It noted that recent cyber incidents involved attempts to breach networks, deploy ransomware, and carry out coordinated phishing campaigns targeting key national platforms.
The public has been urged to report any cyber threats or suspicious activities through officially designated channels, ensuring the security of the nation’s digital environment and the uninterrupted functioning of its institutions.
Politics
Trump says sending hospital boat to Greenland

WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump said Saturday he was sending a hospital boat to Greenland, an autonomous Danish territory that he has long coveted and threatened to seize by force.
Trump’s rhetoric has ratcheted up tensions between the United States and Denmark, while putting the global spotlight on the Arctic as he insists mineral-rich Greenland is vital for US and Nato security against Russia and China.
He said the boat would treat many “sick” people in Greenland, without providing any details on who he was referring to or the number of people the vessel would help.
“We are going to send a great hospital boat to Greenland to take care of the many people who are sick, and not being taken care of there,” Trump wrote in a social media post.
“It’s on the way!!!,” he added.
The post on his Truth Social platform carried an apparent AI image that depicted the USNS Mercy — an 894-foot (272-metre) vessel that is typically stationed in southern California — sailing toward snowcapped mountains on the horizon.
It was unclear if that was the actual vessel being sent to Greenland.
Trump said in the post that the ship would be sent in coordination with Gov. Jeff Landry (R-LA), who was named as Trump’s envoy to the Arctic island in December.
During Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans this month, Landry posted an image of himself and two men at one of the city’s famous balls, holding a flag of Greenland together.
“Great to host some of the wonderful people of Greenland,” he wrote.
Earlier this week, Denmark’s King Frederik X visited Greenland, where he has long enjoyed popularity, as anxieties mount over Trump’s interest.
Trump backed off repeated threats to seize the territory last month, after striking a “framework” deal with Nato chief Mark Rutte to ensure greater US influence.
Politics
Supreme Court ruling angers Trump: Global tariffs to rise from 10% to 15%

US President Donald Trump has announced that he will raise the temporary global tariff rate on all goods imported into the United States from 10% to 15%. The tariffs include many countries that have been exploiting the United States for decades. New and legally permissible tariffs will be determined in the coming months. This decision by the British news agency Reuters came after the US Supreme Court ruled yesterday against his major tariff program implemented under the Economic Emergencies Act. Expressing anger at the court ruling, President Trump on Friday ordered an immediate 10% tariff on all imports, which will be in addition to the duties already applied.
Under the relevant law, the president has the authority to impose a maximum tariff of 15% for 150 days, but this move may also face legal challenges.
President Trump said in a statement on the social media platform Social Truth that he is immediately increasing the 10 percent global tariff to the full legally authorized level of 15 percent. He said that many countries have been exploiting the United States for decades.
According to Trump, during this 150-day period, his administration will work to introduce new and “legally acceptable” tariff measures. Many of the countries included in the tariffs are countries that have been exploiting the United States for decades. In the coming months, new and legally permissible tariffs will be determined.
It should be noted that yesterday, US President Donald Trump expressed his reaction to the Supreme Court’s decision to impose tariffs on other countries.
He said that the court’s decision is very disappointing and such decisions are an insult to our nation. He also indicated that there is political pressure on the court and said how easily the court comes under pressure. Such decisions are an insult to the American people.
President Trump said that other countries are very happy with the Supreme Court’s decision, the happiness of these countries will not last much longer, I can do whatever I want, I have the authority to end trade with a country and impose sanctions.
He also said while holding a press conference that the court’s decision has further increased the authority to impose tariffs, the profits from tariffs will increase further, a 10 percent global tariff will be imposed in addition to other tariffs. I do not need to ask Congress to impose tariffs, all national security tariffs under Section 301 will remain in place.
It should be noted that on Friday, the US Supreme Court ruled by a majority of 6 judges to 3, declaring President Trump’s additional tariffs on other countries illegal.
Chief Justice John Roberts clarified in a written decision that the president needs the express permission of Congress to impose tariffs and the IEEPA does not give him the authority to do so.
-
Entertainment5 days agoQueen Camilla reveals her sister’s connection to Princess Diana
-
Tech5 days agoRakuten Mobile proposal selected for Jaxa space strategy | Computer Weekly
-
Politics5 days agoRamadan moon sighted in Saudi Arabia, other Gulf countries
-
Entertainment5 days agoRobert Duvall, known for his roles in "The Godfather" and "Apocalypse Now," dies at 95
-
Politics5 days agoTarique Rahman Takes Oath as Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Following Decisive BNP Triumph
-
Tech5 days agoBusinesses may be caught by government proposals to restrict VPN use | Computer Weekly
-
Sports5 days agoUsman Tariq backs Babar and Shaheen ahead of do-or-die Namibia clash
-
Fashion5 days agoAustralia’s GDP projected to grow 2.1% in 2026: IMF
