Connect with us

Business

Pakistan, IMF Begin Policy Talks for Third Review of $7bn Programme – SUCH TV

Published

on

Pakistan, IMF Begin Policy Talks for Third Review of bn Programme – SUCH TV



Pakistan and the International Monetary Fund are set to begin policy-level negotiations today (Wednesday) under the third review of the $7 billion Extended Fund Facility (EFF), a key step toward the release of the fourth loan tranche.

An IMF review mission has arrived in the country for a 15-day visit, scheduled to continue until March 11.

Discussions will start in Karachi with technical-level meetings at the State Bank of Pakistan, followed by policy talks in Islamabad with the Ministry of Finance.

Focus Areas of the Review

According to finance ministry sources, the IMF team will assess Pakistan’s economic performance for the first half of the fiscal year (July–December) and evaluate progress on agreed reform targets.

Key areas under review include:

Tax reforms and revenue performance

Energy sector developments

Monetary policy stance

Foreign exchange reserves

Governance and anti-corruption measures

Institutional appointments and reforms at the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR)

The upcoming federal budget framework for the next fiscal year will also be discussed.

Revenue Shortfall a Key Concern

While officials say most programme benchmarks have been met, Pakistan has faced a substantial tax shortfall.

The FBR recorded a revenue gap of Rs329 billion in the first six months of the fiscal year, which later widened to Rs372 billion.

Islamabad is expected to seek a downward revision of the annual tax collection target.

Economic Indicators

Despite revenue challenges, authorities maintain that the programme remains on track.

A primary fiscal surplus of around 1.3% of GDP has reportedly been achieved, while provinces posted a combined cash surplus of Rs1,180 billion.

Foreign exchange reserves are said to be above programme targets, and large-scale manufacturing grew by approximately 6% between July and November.

The review also falls under the broader $1.4 billion Resilience and Sustainability Facility (RSF). Pakistan has so far received $3.3 billion under the combined arrangements.

Successful completion of the review would unlock the next tranche, offering further support to Pakistan’s economic stabilisation and reform agenda.

 



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Fan spending on Harry Styles Wembley gigs set to top £1bn

Published

on

Fan spending on Harry Styles Wembley gigs set to top £1bn



Fan spending for Harry Styles’s 12-night run at Wembley Stadium is set to reach £1.1 billion despite ongoing cost-of-living pressures, figures suggest.

Ticket-holders are expected to spend a total of £981 on average attending the Together, Together tour – which is limited to London in the UK – including travelling to the venue, staying overnight, buying merchandise and other costs, according to a survey for Barclays bank.

The figure exceeds the average £848 spent by fans who flocked to Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour, and the average £766 on attending the Oasis Live ’25 shows, although these were both held across four UK locations, leading to lower travel costs.

Styles’ fans anticipate they will spend an average £102 on official tour merchandise, while nine in 10 will participate in a “fan trend” on the day with 63% planning to wear a Harry Styles-themed look.

A fifth (20%) will make sure their outfits are co-ordinated with their friends and 22% hope to create or exchange fan-made items with other fans.

Barclays said the event was set to be a “major cultural moment” as a million ticket-holders travel to London for the 12 dates beginning on June 12.

With just one other European tour location, in Amsterdam, Styles’ Wembley residency will be the most performances by any artist in a single year at the venue, which has a capacity of around 90,000 people for music events.

The survey found those going to the show spent an average of £143.20 on their ticket, with 19% saying this was more than they planned but 66% saying they would have been willing to pay more if needed.

Other expected costs include an average £141.20 on accommodation, £103.10 on transport and £103.10 on food and drinks before the show.

Some 28% of fans say they are planning other activities such as sightseeing and exhibitions while in London.

More than a quarter (27%) of ticket-holders view the concert as a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and 17% said FOMO (fear of missing out) played a part in their purchase.

Almost 74% of those polled said getting tickets to sold-out or in-demand events now felt like a status symbol.

Tom Corbett, managing director of sponsorship and client experience at Barclays, said: “This tour shows just how powerful live entertainment can be, benefiting consumers and businesses alike.

“‘Concert tourism’ is on the rise because of the extent to which people value unique, shared experiences – so much so that they’re willing to invest in them even when cutting back elsewhere, and to travel to see their favourite artists perform.”

Opinium surveyed 2,000 respondents, and an additional 200 ticket-holders, between April 28 and May 1.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

CDC says American tests positive for Ebola in Africa, risk in the U.S. remains low

Published

on

CDC says American tests positive for Ebola in Africa, risk in the U.S. remains low


A sign sits outside of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Roybal campus in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. March 18, 2026.

Megan Varner | Reuters

One American has tested positive for Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo in connection to the deadly outbreak in central Africa that global health agencies are racing to contain, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Monday.

The person was exposed as part of their work in Congo, developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday, Dr. Satish Pillai, the CDC’s Ebola response incident manager, told reporters on a call. The CDC and State Department are working to move that individual and six other Americans exposed to Ebola to Germany for treatment, care and monitoring. 

But Pillai emphasized that no cases tied to the outbreak have been confirmed in the U.S., and that the overall risk to the American public and travelers remains low.

Still, the CDC also announced on Monday that for the next 30 days, it will restrict entry into the country for people without a U.S. passport who were in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan or Uganda in the last three weeks.

The update came one day after the World Health Organization declared the Ebola epidemic a “public health emergency of international concern.” The outbreak does not meet the criteria of a “pandemic emergency,” but the WHO warned that the high positivity rate and increasing cases and deaths point toward a “potentially much larger outbreak” than what is being detected and reported.  

As of Sunday, more than 300 suspected cases and 88 suspected deaths have been reported, primarily in Congo but also in neighboring Uganda, according to the CDC.

The specific virus involved in this outbreak, called Bundibugyo, has no vaccine or treatment. Historically, that virus has death rates ranging from 25% to 50%, the CDC added. 

But agency officials told reporters on Monday that work is underway to develop a monoclonal antibody therapy as a potential treatment for this specific strain of Ebola. 

Choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted name in business news.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Elon Musk just lost another lawsuit. Will he keep fighting?

Published

on

Elon Musk just lost another lawsuit. Will he keep fighting?



Musk’s loss against OpenAI is the latest in a string of courtroom defeats.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending