Connect with us

Sports

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: Micah Parsons trade gives team ‘chance to be better’ than recent years

Published

on

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: Micah Parsons trade gives team ‘chance to be better’ than recent years


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sat in front of reporters Thursday addressing the stunning Micah Parsons trade to the Green Bay Packers. 

The main question on everyone’s mind was why make the trade?

“This gives us a chance to be a better team than we’ve had the last several years,” Jones said with his son, CEO and director of player personnel Stephen Jones, sitting to his right. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones at training camp at the River Ridge Fields July 27, 2025. (Kirby Lee/ Imagn Images)

“We did think it was in the best interest of our organization, not only the future, but right now in this season as well.”

It’s hard for Cowboys fans to fathom the deal was made to benefit the team’s win total in 2025 and the future, but Jones offered some specifics to the contrary, starting with the acquisition of Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kenny Clark as part of the deal. 

“We’ve gained a Pro Bowl player in an area that we had big concerns in — in the inside of our defense,” Jones said. 

“The facts are we need to stop the run. We haven’t been able to stop the run for several years.”

COWBOYS OWNER BLAMES MICAH PARSONS’ AGENT FOR STALLED CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS: ‘TOLD US TO STICK IT UP OUR A–’

Jones added trade talks for Parsons went on throughout the spring, though he said he offered Parsons a deal in April. He has previously said he offered Parsons the highest contract for a non-quarterback in NFL history, and he doubled down Thursday night that he offered him more guaranteed money than the reported $136 million he got in the four-year, $188 million Packers extension he received after being traded. 

“I will say this: It was important that we did get, if we could get it, the kind of interest that we got in making a trade for Micah,” Jones said. “He was an asset we got four good years out of. But when you’re talking about making the contract that he got and for the future, that’s quite a commitment. None of that counts about what he did the first four years. It goes against what he can do for you in the future.”

The Cowboys also received the Packers’ 2026 and 2027 first-round picks, which Jones said he wouldn’t rule out trading for another established player. 

Micah Parsons in training camp

Dallas Cowboys defensive end Micah Parsons at training camp at the River Ridge Fields July 26, 2025. (Kirby Lee/Imagn Images)

“Not only do we immediately get a player, but those draft picks could get us … I’m talking top Pro Bowl-type players — could. I’m not necessarily going to say you’ll get those players. You gotta draft them or acquire them,” Jones explained. 

“But they could get us as few as three or as many as five outstanding players. Now, not only do they contribute to a game that needs a lot of players on the field, but they also give you better odds that a high percentage of those are going to be available.”

Jones said that it was a consensus decision, both in the front office and by the coaching staff, to make the trade with the Packers. He added that it was still up in the air Thursday morning, as Clark went to Packers practice as usual.

Jones was also asked about an NFL Network report that said Parsons returned to the Cowboys out of “empathy” when the trade interest was leaked earlier this week. Parsons claims he was told by the team to “play on the 5th year or leave.”

“It was not in any way out of the order or anything like that,” Jones replied when asked about that report. “I think I’ve read where they said I replied, ‘We’re playing under the contract as it exists right now. Get ready to play Philadelphia.’ Correct, that was correct.”

With the trade finalized, the Cowboys are looking toward their future while also being of the belief they can win right now, starting with Week 1 against the Philadelphia Eagles

Jerry Jones looks on field

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones before a preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens at AT&T Stadium Aug. 16, 2025, in Arlington, Texas. (Sam Hodde/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“I want to be sure that our fans understand I think a lot of Micah, and I wish him so much success,” Jones said. “I don’t want him to have success when he plays the Cowboys as much as I do want him to have overall success. Micah Parsons did an outstanding job for us for four years.

“There’s no question that I could have signed him in April. We all know that, to have agreements, all parties have to agree. This was by design. I did make Micah an offer. It wasn’t acceptable, and I honored the fact that it wasn’t done in the way he wanted to do it through an agent. 

“So, he was made an offer. … There’s not an ounce of vindictiveness. There’s no bad feelings on my part on the fact that we didn’t come together on an agreement.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.





Source link

Sports

What we’re hearing before transfer deadline day: Liverpool to return for Isak? Who will leave Man United?

Published

on

What we’re hearing before transfer deadline day: Liverpool to return for Isak? Who will leave Man United?


The transfer window is only open across Europe until Sept. 1, so with only a few days left, what are ESPN’s reporters hearing about possible deals?

We bring you the latest updates and insights on the biggest transfer news.

Transfers homepage | Done deals | Men’s grades | Women’s grades

Will Liverpool land a striker (Alexander Isak) and defender (Marc Guéhi) before the deadline?

Liverpool have played the long game with Isak this summer. After their opening offer of £110 million was emphatically rejected earlier this month, the Premier League champions maintained a respectful distance to allow for Newcastle United to resolve their striker situation.

Now, with Eddie Howe’s side set to sign Nick Woltemade from VfB Stuttgart, the dominos could start to fall and allow for Isak to seal his move to Anfield, providing Liverpool return with an improved bid.

As far as Guéhi is concerned, talks with Crystal Palace have been ongoing for weeks and, with the FA Cup winners having qualified for the UEFA Conference League on Thursday night, proceedings could start to accelerate in the coming hours over a deal in the region of £35m. — Beth Lindop

play

2:05

What can Newcastle expect from Nick Woltemade?

Archie Rhind-Tutt explains what Stuttgart striker Nick Woltemade could provide Newcastle amid links to the Premier League side.

Will Newcastle keep Isak and what can they do before the end of the window either way?

That’s the big question and only Newcastle’s Saudi owners truly know the answer. Progress in a £65m deal for Woltemade could unlock a move for Isak, but it’s still complicated. Don’t forget that Newcastle let Callum Wilson leave as a free agent in the summer, so their attacking options were already in need of reinforcement before the Isak situation became the saga of the transfer window.

If Woltemade signs and deals can be done to sign Brentford‘s Yoane Wissa or Wolves forward Jorgen Strand Larsen over the weekend, then that would open the door for Isak to leave — but Liverpool would also have to meet Newcastle’s valuation. There are still obstacles to overcome for Isak to move to Liverpool before the deadline, though they are not insurmountable. — Mark Ogden

play

1:06

Laurens ‘surprised’ by Arsenal’s interest in Hincapié

Gab & Juls discuss Arsenal’s interest in Bayer Leverkusen centre-back Piero Hincapié.

Arsenal are closing on Piero Hincapié, but who could leave before the window closes?

Left-sided defender Jakub Kiwior is in advanced talks to join FC Porto and that would create space for Hincapié within the squad.

Winger Reiss Nelson, left back Oleksandr Zinchenko, and midfielders Fabio Vieira and Albert Sambi Lokonga, are among the others who could depart. There is a need to trim the squad after seven new arrivals totaling more than £260m. — James Olley

Man United finally look like they might be able to move some players on, but who will they be?

United are confident they will get deals done with Chelsea for Alejandro Garnacho and Real Betis for Antony. The sticking point with Garnacho had been United’s £50m valuation, but they have now agreed to move the winger on for a fixed fee of £40m and 10% of any future transfer.

There’s been very little interest in left back Tyrell Malacia this summer, but United think they can sort a late loan to get him out of the building. There’s not so much confidence with winger Jadon Sancho after he rejected moves to Chelsea and Roma.

A deal to take striker Rasmus Højlund to Napoli could also get over the line. Højlund initially wanted to stay and fight for his place at Old Trafford, but being dropped from the squad for three games in a row is a pretty strong message that he needs to move. — Rob Dawson

play

1:44

What signings do Manchester United need before the transfer deadline?

Ian Darke and Rob Dawson believe Manchester United still need to sign at least two players as the end of the summer transfer window approaches.

Chelsea also need to move players on before they can sign anyone, right?

If they want to register them for the Champions League, yes. As per the terms of their UEFA punishment, Chelsea need a net positive transfer balance relating to the squad selected for last season’s Conference League if they want all their new signings to play in Europe this year. That means not all exits count: for example, João Félix‘s €50m move to Al Nassr isn’t included in UEFA’s accounting because he wasn’t registered for the Conference League.

That is why the departures of Nicolas Jackson (with Bayern Munich and Newcastle linked) and Christopher Nkunku (€42m to Milan) are important in helping bring in Garnacho and, potentially, RB Leipzig midfielder Xavi Simons. However, Spurs are frontrunners for the Netherlands midfielder now after agreeing a €60m move, and the Blues have to either respond or switch their attentions elsewhere, possibly to Fermín López at Barcelona. — Olley

And what of Spurs? They’ve struggled all window, with Savinho the latest target to seemingly stay put, so who is on their radar in the final few days?

Spurs have held an interest in Simons for some time and were understandably a little tentative to go for a player so heavily linked with another club (Chelsea) after what happened with Eberechi Eze‘s move to Arsenal. But they were given encouragement Simons was willing to join them, and that triggered them to act.

Monaco’s Maghnes Akliouche and Lucas Paquetá at West Ham are among the other players under consideration. There was an enquiry for Marseille midfielder Adrien Rabiot, while sources say Spurs were exploring whether they could enter the running for Leicester City’s Bilal El Khannouss, who has been heavily linked with a move to Crystal Palace.

City might still let Savinho move if a big enough offer comes in and the same is also true of Como winger Nico Paz. Spurs are also open to bringing in a center back if the right target becomes available, but their priority with just a few days to go is strengthening the attacking positions. — Olley

play

1:41

Why Gianluigi Donnarumma could be a bad fit for the Premier League

Julien Laurens and Don Hutchison discuss Gianluigi Donnarumma’s potential transfer to Manchester City.

A new goalkeeper is on the agenda for Man City, right? Anything else?

Not necessarily. There’s interest from Galatasaray in Ederson and City will only step up interest in Paris Saint-Germain‘s Gianluigi Donnarumma if he goes. It’s entirely possible that Ederson stays and fights for the No.1 shirt with James Trafford. As a result, City are working on finding backup goalkeeper Stefan Ortega a move before the deadline. — Dawson

Barcelona have been pretty quiet… what’s going on with them? Are they signing a defender? And is Fermin Lopez leaving?

Barça signed goalkeeper Joan García and forward Marcus Rashford (on loan from Man United) early on but have had their hands tied financially since. That could change in the final days of the window should someone leave, but that is looking increasingly unlikely. Fermin is one to keep an eye on, with plenty of Premier League interest in the midfielder, led by Chelsea and Newcastle.

However, Barça’s €90m asking price, coupled with the Spain international’s hesitance to leave, are making a late deal difficult to do. If Fermin does depart, Barça could look at adding a defender to the squad — they’ve looked at Monaco’s Vanderson — but, again, time and money is against them. — Sam Marsden

play

1:48

Does Alonso now believe in Rodrygo?

Gab Marcotti and Julien Laurens discuss whether they think Real Madrid manager Xabi Alonso now believes in Rodrygo as he started in their 3-0 win against Oviedo.

What’s the latest on the future of Real Madrid forward Rodrygo? Will he leave? And could Madrid sign anyone if Dani Ceballos moves on?

At the time of writing, Rodrygo’s situation remains as it has all summer: Madrid have received no concrete offer for the player from any of the clubs he’s been linked with. So, as it stands, he’ll be staying put. He started for Madrid last weekend, picked in his preferred position on the left side by coach Xabi Alonso, and that was viewed as a positive step.

As for Ceballos, it looks like he’s staying too, after his U-turn on a move to Marseille. Sources have told ESPN that his camp are still in touch with Real Betis, which would be his preferred move, but a transfer that’s acceptable to all parties would be difficult to pull off, given Betis’ finances. — Alex Kirkland

The Women’s Super League window closes on Sept. 4, anything major going on?

WSL champions Chelsea have been hoping to bring in a winger for some time but, after a productive window, they are content with where the squad is at.

Meanwhile, Manchester United are hoping to sign two forwards before the window shuts. Having made only two signings this window, the is a serious lack of depth in the side. The failed signing of Germany striker Giovanna Hoffmann has only made United more desperate to get deals over the line in the next few days. — Emily Keogh

play

1:31

Will Giovanni Reyna benefit from the expectations at Gladbach?

Alejandro Moreno assesses Giovanni Reyna’s move to Borussia Mönchengladbach.

Any other interesting deals in the works?

– Man City defender Manuel Akanji is one to keep an eye on, as Galatasaray, Crystal Palace, AC Milan and Bayer Leverkusen have all expressed interest. City will accept offers of around £15m, which is considered a relative bargain by a lot of clubs. — Dawson

– Monaco defensive midfielder Soungoutou Magassa is closing on a move to West Ham. Magassa, 21, progressed through Monaco’s youth academy but is now set to move to London for around €20m. — Julien Laurens

Villarreal are negotiating the €7m transfer of Sevilla striker Rubén Vargas, following the expected €30m departure of Yeremy Pino to Palace. Meanwhile, Villarreal continue to search for another striker, as the departure of Etta Eyong (who has been linked with Barcelona) can’t be ruled out. — Rodra

– Sevilla striker Dodi Lukebakio is highly valued among Premier League clubs and could be on the move as his club are open to letting him go. — Rodra

– Rayados continue their search for a forward, with Getafe‘s Borja Mayoral top of the list of candidates. If Mayoral’s signing is not finalized, Rayados will consider other options: Julián Carranza, Peter Musa, Rafael Navarro, and even former Real Madrid star James Rodríguez. Meanwhile, Argentine goalkeeper Esteban Andrada wants to extend his contract until 2027, and is not considering a move to Saudi Arabia, despite interest from several clubs. — Oscar Gallardo, ESPN Deportes

– Vasco da Gama are interested in Pumas defender Nathan Silva. Sources have confirmed to ESPN that Pumas have received an initial offer to sign Silva and though the player is happy in Mexico, he hasn’t ruled out returning to his home country. — Adriana Maldonado, ESPN Deportes



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Wright steps away from TV to focus on Villanova

Published

on

Wright steps away from TV to focus on Villanova


PHILADELPHIA — Jay Wright has decided to step away from being a full-time television analyst after three years to devote more time to his other position at Villanova University.

Wright was hired by CBS Sports and TNT Sports as a college basketball analyst in 2022. He was a game analyst during the regular season before moving to the studio for the NCAA tournament.

“I’m grateful for the incredible experiences and friendships. I look forward to staying connected and collaborating with them on future projects,” Wright said in a statement on social media.

Wright was named a special assistant to the president at Villanova after his retirement. In that role, he is involved with fundraising, advising and education.

The Hall of Fame coach spent 21 seasons at Villanova, where he led the Wildcats to two national titles (2016, 2018) and four appearances in the Final Four. He had an overall record of 642-282 at Hofstra and Villanova.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Pakistan names preliminary U-17 squad for SAFF Championship | The Express Tribune

Published

on

Pakistan names preliminary U-17 squad for SAFF Championship | The Express Tribune


The Pakistan Football Federation (PFF) has unveiled a 35-member preliminary squad for the upcoming South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) U-17 Championship.

The announcement marks an important step in Pakistan’s preparations for the regional tournament, as the young footballers gear up to represent the country on the international stage.

The shortlisted players include promising talents from across the country, with names such as Khalil Jibran, Adil Ali Khan, Waheed Aslam, Nadeem Hussain, Muhammad Alam, Hamza Yasir, Hasnain Wali Raza, Shahzaib Nawaz, and Muhammad Essa making the initial cut.

The squad features a mix of defenders, midfielders, and forwards, all vying for a place in the final team that will compete in the SAFF U-17 Championship. Coaches and selectors will now assess the players in training camps before finalizing the lineup.

The PFF has emphasized that this selection reflects its continued commitment to nurturing grassroots football and providing opportunities for young athletes to shine at the international level.

The final squad announcement is expected ahead of the team’s departure for the tournament.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending