Connect with us

Sports

Roberto De Zerbi targeted by Tottenham to take job this season – sources

Published

on

Roberto De Zerbi targeted by Tottenham to take job this season – sources


Tottenham are pushing to convince Roberto De Zerbi to become their new manager before the end of the season, sources have told ESPN.

Spurs are looking for their third manager of the season after parting ways with Igor Tudor on Sunday.

Tudor, who replaced Thomas Frank last month, won just one of his seven games in charge as Spurs slipped closer to the Premier League relegation zone.

Tottenham currently sit 17th — just one point and one place above the bottom three — and sources say they are confident of appointing a successor to Tudor in good time before Spurs’ next game, a league clash at Sunderland on April 12.

Sources told ESPN that De Zerbi and USMNT boss Mauricio Pochettino are at the top of the club’s shortlist. However, Pochettino is committed to leading the USMNT into this summer’s World Cup while De Zerbi is out of work after leaving Marseille.

Initial talks had taken place between Spurs and De Zerbi with the Italian indicating he was open to joining the club at the end of the season if they stayed in the Premier League.

However, Tudor’s departure and Tottenham’s current malaise — they have not won a league game since Dec. 28 — have accelerated their need for a new head coach, and they are hoping to convince De Zerbi to join now.

Sources say the club’s preference is for a permanent appointment, but it remains to be seen whether the 46-year-old — who spent two years at Brighton up to 2024 — will agree to join Tottenham in their perilous state.

– How do you solve a problem like Tottenham? The to-do list for Igor Tudor’s replacement
– Igor Tudor joins list of shortest managerial reigns in Premier League era
– Igor Tudor’s 44-day tenure at Tottenham Hotspur: A timeline of failure

Alternatives include former Monaco boss Adi Hutter but sources have suggested Spurs would ideally like to appoint someone with Premier League experience.

Former Spurs managers Harry Redknapp, Tim Sherwood and Glenn Hoddle have all been linked with the role, as has ex-Tottenham striker Robbie Keane (who’s currently at Ferencvaros) and ex-Nottingham Forest, Burnley and Everton manager Sean Dyche.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Sinner extends Masters streak | The Express Tribune

Published

on

Sinner extends Masters streak | The Express Tribune


Jannik Sinner won the Italian Open on Sunday. Photo: AFP


ROME:

Jannik Sinner has his eyes on a first Roland Garros title after winning the Italian Open on Sunday to claim a record-extending sixth consecutive Masters 1000 tournament victory.
World number one Sinner beat Casper Ruud 6-4, 6-4 to complete the ‘Golden Masters’ by winning all of the ATP’s top-ranked events, in the process becoming the first Italian men’s champion in Rome since Adriano Panatta 50 years ago.
Only Novak Djokovic had previously won all nine Masters 1000 events before Sunday, but there was little doubt about Sinner triumphing over the last 10 days.
Sinner heads into Roland Garros, which starts next weekend, on a 29-match winning streak and will be intent on banishing the ghosts of last year’s final when he wasted three championship points before losing to Carlos Alcaraz.
And his run of match wins is even longer in Masters 1000 tournaments — now at 34 — another record he has established in a season in which he has dominated the men’s tour.
Sinner can complete his collection of Grand Slams and, with his great rival Alcaraz out of action, few would bet against him securing a first title on Paris clay.
“I need to keep myself in form because there’s my most important tournament of the year coming up,” Sinner told reporters.
“I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself because the pressure comes anyway. The most important thing to do right now is take a break and do the right things.
“I don’t even want to think too much about tennis right now.”
Ruud has won more matches and tournaments on clay than anyone else on the men’s tour since the start of 2020 — his last title on the surface coming at the Madrid Masters last year — but he couldn’t beat Sinner for the first time.
 
‘Better and better’
Norwegian Ruud had never won a set against Sinner in any of their previous four meetings, but immediately improved on the fearful hammering he received here from the Italian last year by winning the first two games.
But Sinner broke straight back and took the lead in the match after an opening set in which the world number 25 held his own against a player he’d previously said “cannot lose”.
Sinner then broke Ruud again at the start of the second set and from there it was just a matter of time before he won the championship, even though Ruud performed with credit in front of a packed centre court crowd.
“I know that in football it’s a different story,” joked Ruud, whose country will play in a World Cup for the first time since 1998.
Norway reached this summer’s World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico at the expense of Italy, who in March failed for a third consecutive time to qualify for the global showpiece.
“I never played the big three in their prime… But I’m sure Roger, Novak, Rafa, 25, 26 years old was also the same feeling for the other players,” said Ruud of Sinner to reporters afterwards.
“I don’t see him getting any worse, unfortunately. You just have to think that you have to be better and better because he’s also going to get better and better.”
It was a golden Sunday for Italian tennis as Simone Bolelli and Andrea Vavassori also won the men’s doubles title, beating second seeds Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos 7-6 (10/8), 6-7 (3/7), 10-3.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Who could be the 2026 World Cup’s breakout star?

Published

on

Who could be the 2026 World Cup’s breakout star?


Paris Saint-Germain’s French forward #49 Ibrahim Mbaye (L) celebrates with Paris Saint-Germain’s French midfielder #14 Desire Doue after scoring a goal during the French L1 football match between RC Lens and Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) at the Stade Bollaert-Delelis stadium in Lens on May 13, 2026. — AFP

LONDON: World Cups are where rising stars of football quickly transform into global icons.

AFP Sport looks at five of the contenders to become the game’s next superstar at this year’s finals in the United States, Mexico and Canada:

Nico Paz (Argentina)

The son of former Argentine international Pablo Paz has opted to play for the world champions despite being born and raised in Spain.

Comos Argentinian midfielder #10 Nico Paz warms up ahead of the Italian Serie A football match between Como and Napoli at the Giuseppe Sinigaglia Stadium in Como, on May 2, 2026. — AFP
Como’s Argentinian midfielder #10 Nico Paz warms up ahead of the Italian Serie A football match between Como and Napoli at the Giuseppe Sinigaglia Stadium in Como, on May 2, 2026. — AFP

A rising star in the Real Madrid academy, Paz has flourished in two years working under Cesc Fabregas since a move to Como in Italy.

Madrid are reportedly set to exercise their buyback option on the 21-year-old.

His technical ability and eye for goal from range has alerted Europe’s other top clubs.

Paz could have the daunting task of filling in for Lionel Messi with Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni expected to manage the 38-year-old’s minutes during the champions’ title defence.

Desire Doue (France)

Doue has already lit up the biggest stage in club football, winning the man-of-the-match award and scoring twice in Paris Saint-Germain’s Champions League final thrashing of Inter Milan last year.

Paris Saint-Germains French midfielder #14 Desire Doue passes the ball during the French L1 football match between Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and Stade Brestois 29 (Brest) at the Parc des Princes stadium in Paris on May 10, 2026. — AFP
Paris Saint-Germain’s French midfielder #14 Desire Doue passes the ball during the French L1 football match between Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) and Stade Brestois 29 (Brest) at the Parc des Princes stadium in Paris on May 10, 2026. — AFP

But this will be the 20-year-old’s first taste of a major international tournament.

Doue has a battle just to ensure he starts for Les Bleus among a dazzling display of attacking talent that includes Kylian Mbappe, Ballon d’Or winner Ousmane Dembele and Bayern Munich’s Michael Olise.

But Doue gave Didier Deschamps a timely reminder of his quality with his first two international goals in a 3-1 friendly win over Colombia in France’s last outing in March.

Nico O’Reilly (England)

O’Reilly, 21, has already earned the trust of Pep Guardiola to become a regular for Manchester City.

Manchester Citys Norwegian striker #09 Erling Haaland (R) celebrates with Manchester Citys English midfielder #33 Nico O´Reilly (L) after scoring their fourth goal during the English FA Cup quarter final football match between Manchester City and Liverpool at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, north west England, on April 4, 2026. — AFP
Manchester City’s Norwegian striker #09 Erling Haaland (R) celebrates with Manchester City’s English midfielder #33 Nico O´Reilly (L) after scoring their fourth goal during the English FA Cup quarter final football match between Manchester City and Liverpool at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, north west England, on April 4, 2026. — AFP

Scorer of two goals from left-back in City’s League Cup final win over Arsenal in March, O’Reilly began his career as a goalscoring midfielder.

Guardiola has harnessed his blend of height, speed and skill as an attacking weapon from deep and may have solved a problem position for England coach Thomas Tuchel in the process.

England reached the final of Euro 2024 without a natural left-back for the majority of the tournament due to Luke Shaw’s lack of fitness.

“What a player,” said Guardiola. “He has made an incredible step up and he has had a lot of minutes, but he deserves it.”

Endrick (Brazil)

A teenage prodigy who made his Palmeiras debut at 16 and was snapped up by Real Madrid before his18th birthday, Endrick’s hopes of shining at the World Cup have been rekindled by a successful loan move at French club Lyon.

Lyons Brazilian forward #09 Endrick (R) acknowledges fans before leaving the pitch during the French L1 football match between Olympique Lyonnais (OL) and RC Lens at the Groupama Stadium in Decines-Charpieu, central-eastern France, on May 17, 2026. — AFP
Lyon’s Brazilian forward #09 Endrick (R) acknowledges fans before leaving the pitch during the French L1 football match between Olympique Lyonnais (OL) and RC Lens at the Groupama Stadium in Decines-Charpieu, central-eastern France, on May 17, 2026. — AFP

Endrick burst onto the international scene by scoring the winner against England at Wembley two years ago and becoming Brazil’s youngest goalscorer since Ronaldo in the process.

Relegated behind international team-mate Vinicius Junior and Mbappe after his big move to Madrid two years ago, the 19-year-old has found his scoring touch since his switch to France in January.

Often compared to another Brazilian great Romario for his squat but powerful physique, Endrick will be hoping to recreate the former’s success in scoring five goals as Brazil won the World Cup on US soil in 1994.

Pedri (Spain)

Spain’s latest passing metronome, Pedri has proven to be a fitting heir to Xavi Hernandez for both club and country.

Barcelonas Spanish midfielder #08 Pedri fights for the ball with Atletico Madrids Spanish midfielder #06 Koke during the UEFA Champions League quarter-final first-leg football match between FC Barcelona and Club Atletico de Madrid at Camp Nou Stadium in Barcelona on April 8, 2026. — AFP
Barcelona’s Spanish midfielder #08 Pedri fights for the ball with Atletico Madrid’s Spanish midfielder #06 Koke during the UEFA Champions League quarter-final first-leg football match between FC Barcelona and Club Atletico de Madrid at Camp Nou Stadium in Barcelona on April 8, 2026. — AFP 

After first rising to prominence as an 18-year-old at Euro 2020, Pedri was key to Spain’s run to conquering Europe two years ago in Germany, but injury prevented him from featuring in the semi-finals and final.

For Barcelona he has put his fitness troubles behind him under Hansi Flick, playing a starring role in back-to-back La Liga title triumphs over the past two seasons.





Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Pakistan squash stars set for Asian Junior Championships | The Express Tribune

Published

on

Pakistan squash stars set for Asian Junior Championships | The Express Tribune


Pakistan’s young squash players are all set to showcase their talent at the 33rd Asian Junior Individual Squash Championships 2026, scheduled to be held from May 20 to 24 in Panzhihua, China.

According to Pakistan Squash Federation, the national contingent, led by Director Academies Group Captain (R) Irfan Asghar and Head Coach Fahim Gul, will compete against top emerging players from across Asia in the prestigious junior event.
Pakistan’s squad comprises five boys and two girls competing in different age categories.

In the boys’ events, Abdullah Nawaz will participate in the Under-19 category, Nouman Khan in Under-17, Ahmed Rayyan Khalil and Sohail Adnan in Under-15, while Mustafa Khan will feature in the Under-13 category.

In the girls’ competitions, Sehrish Ali and Mahnoor Ali will represent Pakistan in the Under-15 category.

The championship is regarded as one of Asia’s premier junior squash events and provides a major platform for young players to gain international exposure and improve continental rankings.

Pakistan squash officials expressed confidence that the young players would deliver strong performances and continue the country’s rich legacy in the sport.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending