Business
Haryana Govt bars IDFC First Bank, AU Small Finance Bank over alleged Rs 590 crore fraud
New Delhi: The Haryana Government on Sunday de-empanelled IDFC First Bank and AU Small Finance Bank from handling government business with immediate effect after an alleged fraud of around Rs 590 crore came to light.
In an official circular, the state government said both banks have been barred from carrying out any government-related transactions in Haryana until further orders.
It directed all departments, boards, corporations and public sector undertakings to stop using these banks for deposits, investments or any other financial dealings.
Authorities have also been asked to immediately transfer existing balances and close accounts maintained with the two lenders.
The Finance Department pointed out lapses in following fixed deposit instructions. It noted that in some cases, funds that were supposed to be placed in flexible deposits or higher-interest fixed deposit schemes were allegedly kept in savings accounts, leading to lower returns and financial loss to the state.
Departments have been instructed to strictly follow approved deposit terms, regularly verify compliance by banks, conduct monthly reconciliations and report any discrepancies.
All reconciliations must be completed by March 31, 2026, and a certified compliance report has to be submitted by April 4, 2026.
The action comes after IDFC First Bank disclosed in a regulatory filing that it had detected a fraud of about Rs 590 crore involving certain Haryana government-linked accounts operated through its Chandigarh branch.
The bank said there were prima facie unauthorised and fraudulent activities carried out by some employees at the branch, possibly involving other individuals or entities.
According to the bank, the issue surfaced when a Haryana government department requested closure and transfer of its account balance to another bank.
During the process, discrepancies were found between the amount mentioned and the actual balance in the account.
Similar discrepancies were later identified in other government-linked accounts from February 18 onwards.
IDFC First Bank clarified that its preliminary internal review suggests the matter is limited to a specific group of Haryana government-linked accounts handled by the Chandigarh branch and does not affect other customers.
The total amount under reconciliation across the identified accounts is estimated at around Rs 590 crore, and the final figure will be determined after further validation and possible recoveries.
Four bank officials have been suspended pending investigation. The bank said it will take strict disciplinary, civil and criminal action against those found responsible.
It has also issued recall requests to certain beneficiary banks to lien-mark balances in suspicious accounts as part of recovery efforts. The statutory auditors have been informed and an independent external agency will carry out a forensic audit.
Business
‘Buy America’ to ‘bye America’: Why investors are looking beyond US stocks – The Times of India
US investors are increasingly moving money out of domestic equities and into overseas markets, signalling a shift away from the long-dominant “buy America” trade as returns from Big Tech moderate and global markets outperform.Data from LSEG/Lipper shows US-domiciled investors have withdrawn about $75 billion from US equity products over the past six months, including $52 billion since the start of 2026 — the largest outflow in the first eight weeks of a year since at least 2010, news agency Reuters reported.The trend reflects growing diversification by American investors, even as a weaker dollar makes overseas investments more expensive. Analysts say the shift mirrors earlier moves by global investors who had already begun reducing exposure to US assets.Since the global financial crisis in 2009, strong economic growth and technology-sector dominance helped US equities deliver outsized gains, reinforcing the “buy America” investment strategy. More recently, the artificial intelligence boom pushed the S&P 500 to record highs last year, cushioning markets despite policy uncertainty linked to President Donald Trump’s trade and diplomatic approach.
Investors look beyond US tech dominance
Rising concerns over AI-related risks and elevated valuations of megacap technology stocks have prompted investors to reassess opportunities abroad. Bank of America’s February fund manager survey showed investors rotating from US equities into emerging markets at the fastest pace in five years.“I’ve had lots of conversations with our wealth business in the U.S. this year,” said Gerry Fowler, UBS’s head of European equity strategy and global derivatives strategy. “They’re all talking about investing more offshore because at the end of the year, they looked at the performance of foreign markets in dollars and they’re like, wow, I’m missing out.”So far this year, US investors have invested about $26 billion into emerging-market equities, with South Korea attracting $2.8 billion and Brazil $1.2 billion, according to LSEG/Lipper data.The dollar has declined roughly 10% against a basket of currencies since last January, partly reflecting policy developments under the Trump administration. While this raises the cost of overseas investments, stronger foreign market performance can enhance dollar-denominated returns.Over the past 12 months, the S&P 500 has gained around 14%, compared with a 43% rise in Tokyo’s Nikkei index, a 26% jump in Europe’s STOXX 600, a 23% return from Shanghai’s CSI 300 and a doubling in South Korea’s KOSPI index.
Valuation gap drives global rotation
Investors are increasingly rotating away from high-growth technology stocks towards industrial and defensive sectors, which are more prominent in markets such as Germany, the UK, Switzerland and Japan.Laura Cooper, global investment strategist at Nuveen, told Reuters that the shift reflects a broader reassessment of valuations. “Increasingly we are seeing U.S. investors look at the global landscape from a valuation perspective,” she said, highlighting cyclical growth momentum in Europe and Japan.European banking stocks surged 67% last year and have risen another 4% so far in 2026, illustrating renewed interest in cyclical sectors.US equities continue to trade at higher valuations, with the S&P 500 valued at roughly 21.8 times expected earnings, compared with about 15 times in Europe, 17 times in Japan and 13.5 times in China.Kevin Thozet, portfolio adviser at Carmignac, said flows of US capital into Europe have accelerated since mid-2025. Since Trump’s inauguration last January, US investors have channelled nearly $7 billion into European equity funds, reversing earlier outflows recorded during his first term.“If I’m taking a very long-term view, it’s, maybe, this idea of a great global rotation,” Thozet said.(Disclaimer: Recommendations and views on the stock market, other asset classes or personal finance management tips given by experts are their own. These opinions do not represent the views of The Times of India)
Business
US airlines warn of disruption as DHS suspends PreCheck, Global Entry during shutdown – The Times of India
Major US airlines have expressed concern over travel disruptions after the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) decided to temporarily suspend its PreCheck and Global Entry programmes amid an ongoing government shutdown.The suspension will take effect from 6 a.m. ET (1100 GMT) on Sunday, days after a partial shutdown began following the failure of Republicans and Democrats to reach an agreement on immigration enforcement reforms, news agency Reuters reported.Airlines said travellers received very little advance warning about the move, leaving many with limited time to adjust their travel plans. “Airlines for America is deeply concerned that … the traveling public will be, once again, used as a political football amid another government shutdown,” Chief Executive Chris Sununu said, urging Congress to “get a deal done.”Sununu added that a similar shutdown last fall caused losses of $6.1 billion across the travel industry and related sectors.Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said airport and border agencies would prioritise general passenger movement while suspending “courtesy and special privilege escorts.”“We are making tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions to mitigate the damage,” she said in a DHS statement.The suspension forms part of emergency steps taken by DHS to redirect staffing resources after Congress failed to approve additional funding, according to a Washington Post report.The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said the PreCheck programme had more than 20 million active members in 2024, while total vetted travellers across DHS programmes, including Global Entry, exceeded 40 million.PreCheck allows approved passengers to use dedicated fast-track security lanes at US airports, while Global Entry expedites customs and immigration clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travellers entering the United States.The move follows orders from the Trump administration last week directing the Federal Emergency Management Agency to suspend deployment of aid workers to disaster-affected areas during the shutdown.
Business
IT And Cybersecurity Stocks To Be Watched As Claude Code Security Rattles US Market
Last Updated:
Anthropic launched Claude Code Security to scan code for vulnerabilities. Cybersecurity stocks in US dropped over concerns AI could disrupt the industry.

Claude Code Security Impact: IT, Cybersecurity Shares May See Action On Monday
IT and cybersecurity stocks in India may see action on Monday, February 23 when the market opens, as AI firm Anthropic launched Claude Code Security, a new capability built into Claude Code on the web.
The new feature scans codebases for security vulnerabilities and suggests targeted software patches for human review, allowing teams to find and fix security issues that traditional methods often miss.
What’s The Fear?
The new feature has posed a threat to IT and cybersecurity companies, as Claude Code will provide cybersecurity services to teams.
Companies may rely less on legacy scanning tools and cut spending on traditional enterprises.
“This is a pivotal time for cybersecurity. We expect that a significant share of the world’s code will be scanned by AI in the near future, given how effective models have become at finding long-hidden bugs and security issues,” Anthropic said in the blog.
Attackers will use AI to find exploitable weaknesses faster than ever. But defenders who move quickly can find those same weaknesses, patch them, and reduce the risk of an attack.
This has triggered a fear in the US market last week, in which cybersecurity stocks, including CrowdStrike, Palo Alto, Zscaler suffered a heavy sell-off.
CrowdStrike, US cybersecurity technology company, led the heavy beating with shares falling almost 8 per cent to $338.60 per share. Zscaler also dropped sharply by 5.47 per cent to $159.75 per share.
How Claude Code Security works
Rather than scanning for known patterns, Claude Code Security reads and reasons about your code the way a human security researcher would: understanding how components interact, tracing how data moves through your application, and catching complex vulnerabilities that rule-based tools miss.
Every finding goes through a multi-stage verification process before it reaches an analyst. Claude re-examines each result, attempting to prove or disprove its own findings and filter out false positives.
Findings are also assigned severity ratings so teams can focus on the most important fixes first.
Validated findings appear in the Claude Code Security dashboard, where teams can review them, inspect the suggested patches, and approve fixes.
Check JEE Mains Result 2026 Link Here
February 22, 2026, 16:11 IST
Read More
-
Entertainment5 days agoQueen Camilla reveals her sister’s connection to Princess Diana
-
Tech5 days agoRakuten Mobile proposal selected for Jaxa space strategy | Computer Weekly
-
Politics5 days agoRamadan moon sighted in Saudi Arabia, other Gulf countries
-
Entertainment5 days agoRobert Duvall, known for his roles in "The Godfather" and "Apocalypse Now," dies at 95
-
Politics5 days agoTarique Rahman Takes Oath as Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Following Decisive BNP Triumph
-
Tech5 days agoBusinesses may be caught by government proposals to restrict VPN use | Computer Weekly
-
Sports5 days agoUsman Tariq backs Babar and Shaheen ahead of do-or-die Namibia clash
-
Fashion5 days agoAustralia’s GDP projected to grow 2.1% in 2026: IMF
