Connect with us

Sports

Naqvi meets national hockey team, assures support ‘until turmoil ends’ after Australia fiasco | The Express Tribune

Published

on

Naqvi meets national hockey team, assures support ‘until turmoil ends’ after Australia fiasco | The Express Tribune


‘I am not becoming Hockey Federation president, but we will assist players,’ says PCB chairman

PCB Chairman Mohsin Naqvi meeting with hockey team players. Photo: X

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Mohsin Naqvi met players of the national hockey team in Lahore on Thursday to address concerns raised by them and assured them of full support following the Australia tour fiasco during the Pro Hockey League.

The development came after Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) Chief Tariq Bugti stepped down following complaints by national team players during last week’s whitewash tour. It also followed Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif ordering a formal inquiry and signalling possible management changes after the national team’s poor performance in the Pro Hockey League.

Pakistan captain Imad Shakeel Butt alleged serious shortcomings by PHF officials, saying players were not provided proper accommodation during the Australia tour.

According to a PCB statement, during today’s meeting, the players informed Naqvi of the unpleasant incidents they encountered during the league. Naqvi expressed his regret over the mistreatment of the hockey players and reassured them that the board would take measures to ensure better treatment in the future.

In recognition of their efforts, Naqvi also presented cheques of Rs1 million each to the players for their runner-up finish in the Six-Nation Hockey Tournament. The players thanked Naqvi for his support and encouragemen.

He further promised to ensure that the players would be properly accommodated, saying, “We will provide full support and streamline hockey operations.”

The PCB said that Naqvi instructed the Pakistan Sports Board (PSB) to arrange tickets, kits and hotel accommodations for the players attending the World Cup qualifiers in Egypt. Naqvi also directed that all necessary arrangements for the camp be completed promptly.

A training camp for the hockey players will be set up in Lahore starting from tomorrow.

In addition, Naqvi took immediate action regarding injured player Hannan Shahid, directing the PCB to arrange for his medical treatment. “I want all players to focus solely on their game,” Naqvi emphasised during the meeting.

The PCB chairman also reiterated his commitment to the national team’s success, saying, “Pakistan’s honour comes first. We will not let anything harm the dignity of our country.” Naqvi added that foreign coach Roelant Oltmans would be brought in to assist the national team.

After meeting with the players, Naqvi said in a post on X, “I am not becoming Hockey Federation President, but we will assist players until this turmoil ends.”

Also Read: Pakistan hockey chief resigns after ‘shabby’ winless Australia tour

Earlier, the PSB rejected allegations made by the PHF, saying documentary evidence showed the board fulfilled all financial responsibilities related to the national team’s participation in FIH Pro League Season-7 Phase-2 in Hobart, Australia.

In a statement, the PSB said claims against it were misleading and contrary to the record, adding that administrative and operational shortcomings occurred at the federation level rather than within the government body.

The national team’s departure for the Australia tour was initially scheduled for Feb 2, 2026, but was cancelled after visa applications submitted by the PHF were delayed and contained incorrect information. The PSB said it intervened through diplomatic channels, including the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, after which applications were resubmitted. The team departed on Feb 5 and arrived in Hobart on Feb 7.

According to the board, it paid Rs27.1 million for air tickets and covered an additional Rs9.7m in costs arising from visa-related issues. It added that the federation provided lists of players and officials with passports on Jan 26 and 27, after which a cheque for hotel payments was issued on Jan 28.

Read More: PM Shehbaz orders inquiry after hockey team’s poor results

The board also rejected claims that it was responsible for handling all operational arrangements for international events, saying under the national sports governance framework, it provides financial support, oversight and policy guidance, while logistics, bookings, visa processing and operational management fall under the mandate of the relevant federation.

It added that documents related to the national team’s participation in a World Cup qualifying event in Egypt, including player lists and no-objection certificates, had yet to be submitted by the federation.

“The Pakistan Sports Board will not compromise on the national team’s interests, transparency and accountability,” the statement said.





Source link

Sports

Gibbs-White: Nottingham Forest had a ‘real identity’ in Pereira debut

Published

on

Gibbs-White: Nottingham Forest had a ‘real identity’ in Pereira debut


Nottingham Forest captain Morgan Gibbs-White said his side played with a “real identity” as new boss Vitor Pereira’s reign began with a 3-0 Europa League romp at Fenerbahce.

Pereira was taking charge of Forest for the first time after he became their fourth manager of a chaotic season and it could not have gone better as they took a decisive lead in the playoff round first leg in Istanbul.

Goals from Murillo, Igor Jesus and Gibbs-White made it a memorable night for Forest as life after Sean Dyche began in free-scoring fashion.

Postecoglou: Forest job came ‘too soon’ after Tottenham
Forest’s 4th boss of season, Pereira, has ‘trust’ in owner Marinakis
– Onuouha: Here’s what players really think when a new boss arrives midseason

In perhaps a veiled dig at Dyche, Gibbs-White said on TNT Sports: “I felt like we had a real identity out there today.

“I think his message to us is that we’re going to have a real identity of how we play and how we defend as a team.

“I feel like him and his staff have brought a real positive energy into the group and we’ve all bought into what he wants straight away. And I think that’s the most important thing, buying into each other and understanding each other.

“I think we’ve got a little bit of that already and I think we showed out there abundance today. So, it’s about keeping learning off each other. Keep learning and then taking it game by game.”

The victory means that, barring a disaster in next week’s second leg at the City Ground, Forest will earn a last-16 tie against Real Betis or Midtjylland.

Pereira’s main brief in his new role is to ensure Forest retain their Premier League status and this performance should give confidence going into Sunday’s home game with Liverpool.

“You want to enjoy every moment as a player,” Gibbs-White added. “It can be difficult as footballer to enjoy moments because of how quick the games come up. We can enjoy it and then prepare for Liverpool at the weekend.

“We have been going through a difficult time, confidence is the main thing and tonight will boost confidence. We just have to stay together and be the most complete team.”

Pereira said he was pleased with what he saw from his new side and is confident he can get enough out of them reach Premier League safety.

“The quality of the players [I liked the most]. I asked them to express themselves on the pitch. They did it,” he said.

“I realised before I came that the players have a lot of quality. They need results but they need to enjoy the game.

“If they enjoy the way they are playing they can have a high level. They need just organisation and confidence.

“Of course I am [confident]. We will try match by match to win the next match. It will be very difficult.

“It is not easy to come here and score three goals and not concede a goal. Next game will be a different game and we need to be consistent.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Alysa Liu completes incredible comeback to win gold in figure skating

Published

on



Liu’s gold is the first individual women’s medal for the U.S. since 2006 in Turin.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Moroccan court sentences 19 fans to jail for AFCON hooliganism

Published

on

Moroccan court sentences 19 fans to jail for AFCON hooliganism


RABAT, Morocco — A Moroccan court Thursday sentenced 19 soccer fans to up to a year in prison on charges of hooliganism stemming from a chaotic Africa Cup of Nations final between Morocco and Senegal that saw supporters try to storm the field.

After a hearing that lasted more than five hours, the presiding judge ruled that the fans — 18 Senegalese and a French national — were guilty of more than half a dozen charges, including damaging sporting facilities and committing violence during a sporting event.

Eleven people were sentenced to one year in prison and handed a $550 fine. Four were sentenced to six months and given a $218 fine. The remaining four were sentenced to three months and a $130 fine, lawyer Naima El Guellaf told The Associated Press.

One defendant fainted upon hearing the sentences. Others refused to rise from the defendants’ bench when ordered to enter the small door leading to the holding cells. Family members, visibly shaken, insisted their relatives were innocent.

Attorneys said they plan to appeal the decision that they view as severe.

The defendants were arrested last month when outraged supporters tried to storm the pitch to protest a late penalty awarded to host Morocco during the final, which Senegal eventually won 1-0. They were held in custody for more than a month awaiting judgment.

During Thursday’s hearing, attended by Senegalese and French diplomats as well as relatives of several defendants, attorneys argued that the court lacked sufficient grounds to convict their clients.

The public prosecutor sought the maximum penalties against the fans, arguing that they had disrupted the orderly conduct of the match. He added that the damage was estimated at more than $476,719.

Morocco has long grappled with episodes of soccer-related hooliganism, and courts in the North African nation routinely handle cases tied to such incidents. However, this case was unusual as it involved only foreign nationals.

The sentences marked the latest development stemming from a final that prompted senior officials in both countries to urge peace and fraternity amid social media tensions and a surge in what Moroccan rights groups described as “hate speech.”

Last month, CAF, the African soccer body, issued $1 million in fines and bans against Senegal and Morocco over the tumultuous game. Morocco announced it plans to appeal the decision, seeing the sanctions as disproportionate to the incidents.

The game was marred by Senegalese players walking off the pitch protesting a penalty awarded to Morocco in stoppage time. Outraged Senegalese supporters threw chairs onto the field and battled with stewards before police arrived.

The match and its outcome prompted senior officials in both countries to reinforce diplomatic and economic ties they described as “strong and historic,” seeking to prevent the game from straining bilateral relations.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending