Business
Retailers looking to cut staff hours due to high employment costs, bosses warn
Soaring employment costs mean retailers are looking to reduce staff hours or even cut jobs, industry bosses have warned.
New research from the British Retail Consortium showed that 61% of retail CFOs (chief financial officers) and finance directors plan to “reduce number of hours and overtime” for staff.
Many bosses said they are also looking at cutting head office or shop-floor jobs in order to deal with rising costs.
Retail employment costs rose by £5 billion last year following increases to employer National Insurance Contributions and the National Living Wage in April.
The BRC estimated that the cost of employing a full-time entry-level worker therefore rose by 10%.
Firms are also set to face another increase in labour costs in April this year, as another rise in the National Living Wage, of 4.1%, comes into force.
Last year, the ONS revealed that the number of UK retail jobs fell by 74,000 to 2.76 million – the lowest level on record.
The new survey of retail finance bosses also found that more than half, 55%, are planning to “reduce head office headcount”, while 42% are looking to “reduce stores headcount”.
The data also pointed towards a downbeat outlook across the sector, with 69% of the bosses describing themselves as being pessimistic or very pessimistic for the future.
The fresh warning from the retailer also comes days after official figures showed that the unemployment rate jumped to a new five-year-high of 5%, with 16.1% of 16 to 24-year-olds unemployed in the latest quarter.
Helen Dickinson, chief executive at the BRC, said: “We all want more high-quality, well-paid jobs.
“But retail has already lost 250,000 roles in the past five years, and youth unemployment is climbing fast.
“The Employment Rights Act is the biggest shake-up of employment rules in a generation, and how it is delivered will make or break job opportunities.
“Done well, the reforms can raise standards while supporting flexible and entry-level roles that are vital for people whose lives don’t fit a fixed nine-to-five pattern.
“If the Government fails to consider business needs on policies including guaranteed hours and union rights, they will add complexity and reduce flexibility, ultimately stripping away entry-level and part-time opportunities at precisely the moment the country needs them most.”
A Government spokesman said: “We know retailers are facing a difficult time, but our employment rights act reforms will boost productivity and retention in workplaces across the UK and give job security to over 18 million workers.
“We are also supporting retailers through our small business plan, and we will work with business including the BRC to see what further support we can provide ahead of publishing our High Streets Strategy later this year.”
Business
Bill Gates pulls out of India’s AI summit amid Epstein files controversy
Gates’s decision to not speak to the summit came after days of uncertainty over whether he would attend. He is currently in India and had visited the southern state of Andhra Pradesh on Monday, where he reportedly discussed initiatives for boosting health, agriculture, education and technology.
Business
‘No reason to believe’: Russia says India has not changed stance on buying oil, rejects US claims – The Times of India
Russia’s foreign ministry firmly claimed on Wednesday that it has “no reason to believe” that India changed its stance on purchasing Russian oil, despite US claims suggesting otherwise. The ministry emphasised that the oil trade benefits both nations and helps maintain global energy market stability, while dismissing recent statements by US President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio about India agreeing to stop Russian oil imports.“We have no reason to believe that India has changed its position on buying Russian hydrocarbons. India’s purchase of Russian hydrocarbons benefits both countries and helps maintain stability in the international energy market,” said Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova during her weekly briefing.
Zakharova further criticised US leadership, saying, “There is nothing new in the claims of US President Donald Trump, as well as US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who have grabbed the right to dictate to independent nations.”The issue gained attention after the US recently reduced tariffs on Indian goods from 50 per cent to 18 per cent. This included removing a 25 per cent tariff that Trump had imposed on India last August due to its Russian oil purchases. Following a phone call between Prime Minister Modi and President Trump, US officials claimed India had committed to stopping Russian oil imports.India has maintained silence on these US claims, neither confirming nor denying them. MEA had previously stated that “national interests” would guide its energy procurement decisions.Meanwhile, Russia has accused the US of using various pressure tactics, including tariffs, sanctions, and direct prohibitions, to prevent India and other countries from buying Russian oil.In her briefing, Zakharova also took aim at Ukraine’s European allies, suggesting they are not interested in pursuing peaceful solutions to ongoing conflicts.
Russian imports at a low?
India’s crude sourcing pattern is reportedly shifting, with Russian oil imports falling to their lowest levels in over two years. Data cited by Reuters claims Russian shipments accounted for just 21.2 per cent of India’s total imports in January, the smallest share since late 2022, at around 1.1 million barrels per day, down sharply from December and about one-third lower year-on-year.Russia had become India’s top supplier after 2022, with its share once nearing 40 per cent, driven by discounted crude. However, tightening Western sanctions and growing US trade engagement appear to have weighed on purchases. China has now overtaken India as Russia’s largest seaborne crude buyer.To compensate, Indian refiners increased purchases from other regions. Middle Eastern crude rose to roughly 55 per cent of imports in January, while Latin American supplies hit a 12-month high. Saudi Arabia has regained its position as India’s leading supplier, with February volumes tracking at record levels.Read more: Share of Russian crude in India’s oil imports falls to lowest since November 2022; Middle East supplies riseAnalysts expect Russian flows to decline further in the coming months, though not cease entirely, as India continues to emphasise its policy of “strategic autonomy” in energy procurement.
Business
Vijay Mallya tells Bombay HC he cannot say when he will return to India
Mumbai: UK-based businessman Vijay Mallya on Wednesday informed the Bombay High Court that he is not in a position to specify when he would return to India. He cited restrictions imposed by courts in England that he said prevented him from leaving the country.
The matter was heard by a Bench comprising Chief Justice Shree Chandrashekhar and Justice Gautam Ankhad, in connection with two petitions filed by Mallya. One petition challenges his designation as a “Fugitive Economic Offender” under the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act (FEOA), while the other contests a court order formally declaring him a fugitive.
Senior advocate Amit Desai, appearing for Mallya, referred to Supreme Court judgments where writ petitions were heard even in the absence of petitioners.
He submitted that extradition proceedings against Mallya are ongoing in the UK and that his client is aware of them but is unable to leave English jurisdiction due to binding court orders.
The Chief Justice, however, questioned Mallya’s intent to appear before the court, observing that he appeared to be relying on UK court orders without clarifying whether those orders had been challenged. The Bench indicated that such reliance could not be treated as a blanket justification.
The court directed Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to file a response to Mallya’s affidavit. It also asked Desai to submit a detailed affidavit placing on record all statements made during the hearing so that the Union of India could respond accordingly.
Granting three weeks’ time for further proceedings, the Bench noted that the petitions have been pending since 2019 and remarked that no sincere efforts appeared to have been made for their early disposal. The matter is now scheduled for a hearing on March 11.
According to the Finance Ministry, Mallya — former promoter of Kingfisher Airlines — is among 15 individuals declared Fugitive Economic Offenders as of October 31, 2025, allegedly causing losses of thousands of crores of rupees to Indian banks.
Earlier, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) submitted before the court that Mallya had filed affidavits disputing banks’ claims and was attempting to turn money laundering proceedings into recovery litigation. The agency further argued that he challenged the FEO declaration only after being declared a fugitive and when extradition proceedings in London had reached an advanced stage.
-
Business1 week agoGold price today: How much 18K, 22K and 24K gold costs in Delhi, Mumbai & more – Check rates for your city – The Times of India
-
Business1 week agoAye Finance IPO Day 2: GMP Remains Zero; Apply Or Not? Check Price, GMP, Financials, Recommendations
-
Fashion1 week agoComment: Tariffs, capacity and timing reshape sourcing decisions
-
Business6 days agoTop stocks to buy today: Stock recommendations for February 13, 2026 – check list – The Times of India
-
Fashion1 week agoIndia’s PDS Q3 revenue up 2% as margins remain under pressure
-
Politics7 days agoIndia clears proposal to buy French Rafale jets
-
Fashion1 week agoSaint Laurent retains top spot as hottest brand in Q4 2025 Lyst Index
-
Fashion6 days ago$10→ $12.10 FOB: The real price of zero-duty apparel
