Connect with us

Entertainment

Stephen Colbert slams CBS, says lawyers told him James Talarico interview could not air on “The Late Show”

Published

on

Stephen Colbert slams CBS, says lawyers told him James Talarico interview could not air on “The Late Show”


“The Late Show” host Stephen Colbert criticized CBS on Monday night, saying the network blocked his interview with U.S. Senate hopeful James Talarico from airing. 

“You know who is not one of my guests tonight? That’s Texas State Representative James Talarico,” Colbert told his studio audience. “He was supposed to be here, but we were told in no uncertain terms by our network’s lawyers, who called us directly, that we could not have him on the broadcast. Then I was told in some uncertain terms that not only could I not have him on, I could not mention me not having him on. And because my network clearly doesn’t want us to talk about this, let’s talk about this.”

Colbert said the reason CBS prevented “The Late Show” from broadcasting Talarico’s appearance was rooted in new guidance from the FCC for daytime talk shows and late-night TV programs, which requires the shows to provide equal time to opposing candidates.

While “The Late Show” didn’t air Talarico’s interview on TV, it did post it on YouTube, where FCC rules don’t apply.  

“The network says I can’t give you a URL or a QR code, but I promise you, if you go to our YouTube page, you’ll find it,” Colbert said.

Talarico, a Democrat, has served as a Texas state representative since 2018 and is campaigning in the Democratic primary to represent his state in the U.S. Senate.  

CBS said in a statement: “THE LATE SHOW was not prohibited by CBS from broadcasting the interview with Rep. James Talarico. The show was provided legal guidance that the broadcast could trigger the FCC equal-time rule for two other candidates, including Rep. Jasmine Crockett, and presented options for how the equal time for other candidates could be fulfilled. THE LATE SHOW decided to present the interview through its YouTube channel with on-air promotion on the broadcast rather than potentially providing the equal-time options.”

CBS News has reached out to the FCC for comment.

The FCC issued a notice last month that daytime talk shows and late-night programs must give equal time to opposing candidates. The announcement hinged on a decades-old federal law requiring any FCC-licensed broadcaster that lets a political candidate appear on its airwaves to also offer “equal opportunities” to all other candidates running for the same office. The law exempts “bona fide newscasts” and news interviews from the equal time rule.   

FCC Chair Brendan Carr, who was appointed by President Trump and is an ally of the president, wrote on X as he shared the notice: “For years, legacy TV networks assumed that their late night & daytime talk shows qualify as ‘bona fide news’ programs – even when motivated by purely partisan political purposes. Today, the FCC reminded them of their obligation to provide all candidates with equal opportunities.”

On “The Late Show” Monday, Colbert said, “Well, sir, you’re chairman of the FCC, so FCC U, because I think you are motivated by partisan purposes yourself.”

“Let’s just call this what it is: Donald Trump’s administration wants to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV, because all Trump does is watch TV, OK? He’s like a toddler with too much screentime. He gets cranky and then drops a load in his diaper,” Colbert said.

CBS News has reached out to the White House for comment. 

Talarico shared a clip on social media early Tuesday, saying, “This is the interview Donald Trump didn’t want you to see. His FCC refused to air my interview with Stephen Colbert. Trump is worried we’re about to flip Texas.”

Tuesday marked the first day of early voting in Texas for the March 3 primary, in which Talarico faces U.S. Rep. Jasmine Crockett and businessman Ahmad Hassan. They are facing off to take on the winner of the Republican primary, in which longtime GOP Sen. John Cornyn is being challenged by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton and U.S. Rep. Wesley Hunt. Both races could go to runoffs if no candidate in either party gets 50% of the vote.

Networks, individual shows and talk show hosts have come under fire by Mr. Trump for what he has claimed is their politically biased programming. Mr. Trump has at times called for broadcasters to lose their FCC licenses. 

After taking over “The Late Show” from David Letterman in 2015, Colbert is preparing to wrap his final season as its host in May, when CBS will retire the late-night franchise. Although many suggested the cancellation was politically motivated, as Colbert has been an outspoken critic of Mr. Trump and his administration, the network insisted its decision was purely financial. 



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Oscar-nominated star Rose Byrne gets real about burnout behind the camera

Published

on

Oscar-nominated star Rose Byrne gets real about burnout behind the camera


Oscar-nominated star Rose Byrne gets real about burnout behind the camera

Rose Byrne has opened up about how she relaxes after long and emotionally draining days on film sets.

The 46-year-old actress is currently starring in new psychological comedy drama If I Had Legs I’d Kick You and got nominated for Oscars, where she plays a mother going through a deep personal struggle.

While talking about the pressure of intense roles, Rose admitted that she keeps her coping routine simple once filming wraps up.

She shared: “I drink a lot of alcohol. To be honest, it’s sometimes as simple as having a cocktail after a long day on set or switching on the TV.”

The Platonic actress also explained that she does not follow any spiritual routine but she focus on her quiet family life.

She, however, lives in Brooklyn with her husband Bobby Cannavale and says that they now want calm and private lifestyle.

The actress went on to add that she leans heavily on her close family and home community.

Her children Rocco and Rafael play a big role in keeping her grounded. Rose said, “My children couldn’t care less if I’ve had a long day but in the best and most refreshing way.”

If I Had Legs I’d Kick You is written and directed by Mary Bronstein and also stars Conan O’Brien as her therapist.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Iran foreign minister says progress made in nuclear talks with US

Published

on

Iran foreign minister says progress made in nuclear talks with US


Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi addresses a special session of the Conference on Disarmament at the United Nations, aside of US-Iran talks in Geneva, Switzerland, February 17, 2026. — Reuters 
  • Araghchi says progress made on main guiding principles.
  • Asks US to desist from threatening use of force against Iran.
  • Hopes talks will lead to sustainable and negotiated solution.

GENEVA: Iran and the United States reached an understanding on the main “guiding principles” in a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday but work still needs to be done, said Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi.

The progress does not mean an agreement will be reached soon but the path has started, he told Iranian media after the talks concluded.

Iranian state media reported earlier that Iran would temporarily shut part of the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global oil supply route, as it held talks over its nuclear programme with the United States, which has sent a battle force to the Gulf region to press Tehran to make concessions.

US President Donald Trump has said “regime change” in Tehran may be the best thing that can happen, while Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Tuesday that any US attempts to depose his government would fail.

Just as the talks got under way in Geneva, Iranian state media reported that parts of the strategic strait would close for a few hours due to “security precautions” while Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards conducted military drills there.

Tehran has in the past threatened to shut down the strait to commercial shipping if it is attacked, a move that would choke off a fifth of global oil flows and drive up crude prices.

Alongside Araghchi, US envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner took part in the Geneva talks, which were being mediated by Oman, a source briefed on the matter told Reuters.

Speaking at a disarmament conference in Geneva after talks were held between US and Iranian representatives in the western Swiss city earlier in the day, Araghchi said the US should immediately desist from threatening the use of force against Iran.

He said that any sustainable agreement must ensure full recognition of Iran’s legitimate rights.

Araghchi said: “A new window of opportunity has opened, we are hopeful negotiations will lead to a sustainable and negotiated solution.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Queen Camilla reveals her sister’s connection to Princess Diana

Published

on

Queen Camilla reveals her sister’s connection to Princess Diana


Queen Camilla reveals her sister’s connection to Princess Diana

Queen Camilla got a cultural fix on Tuesday during a busy day in Bath, exploring the city’s arts and literary scene with curiosity and charm.

At the Holburne Museum, the Queen wandered through the exhibits with evident fascination, taking in each piece as curator Rosemary Harden guided her through the collection. 

Her visit included the Zandra Rhodes: A Life in Print exhibition that brings a selection of screen-printed garments from the 1960s, 70s and 80s.

Camilla revealed a personal connection, “My sister Annabel Elliot had a wedding dress made by Rhodes,” she shared, nodding to the designer who also famously dressed the late Princess Diana.

The royal then made her way to Bath’s Theatre Royal, meeting staff and volunteers while checking out a new community studio. 

She also unveiled a toy theatre, part of the theatre’s ongoing plans to create an engaging space for local families.

Queen Camilla spotlights Zandra Rhodes legacy
Queen Camilla spotlights Zandra Rhodes legacy

The Queen then rounded off her cultural tour with a stop at @PersephoneBooks, the independent publisher and bookshop founded in 1999, which specialises in reprinting forgotten gems mostly fiction and non-fiction by women writers. 

There, she chatted with Francesca and Nicola Beauman, taking in the literary treasures that make the shop a Bath institution.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending