Connect with us

Sports

US Olympian Alysa Liu advances in mission to earn individual medal amid American skating disappointments

Published

on

US Olympian Alysa Liu advances in mission to earn individual medal amid American skating disappointments


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Alyssa Liu is Team USA’s last hope for an individual gold medal in figure skating at the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics

Liu, the reigning world champion, was the only one of America’s women’s figure skating stars to put herself in contention for gold after the short program on Tuesday night. 

Liu landed a triple Lutz-triple loop, the hardest combination that any woman attempted, and sat only two points back of leader Ami Nakai and right behind her Japanese teammate Kaori Sakamoto on the leaderboard.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Alysa Liu of the United States performs her routine during the Figure Skating, Women’s Singles Skating, Short Program at the Milano Ice Skating Arena at the Milano Cortina Winter Olympic Games 2026 on February 17th, 2026 in Milan, Italy.   (Tim Clayton/Getty Images)

“I am really happy about how I skated,” Liu said after the competition. “And my siblings, my best friends and a ton of my family is out there. And I saw them on the warmup. I also saw them during my program, so, I don’t know. It was a really cool moment, because they never come to watch like this. I’m really glad I did super well. I felt super grounded and I connected with my program on another level.”

Fellow American women’s skater Amber Glenn finished 13th, falling just one spot short of advancing. Glenn was seen walking off the ice in tears. 

ILIA MALININ HINTS AT INTENSE OLYMPIC PRESSURE DAYS AFTER UNEXPECTED RESULT

Alysa Liu posing for a photo

Alysa Liu poses for a photo following the 2026 Milan Olympics figure skating team announcement show at Enterprise Center on Jan. 11, 2026. (Jeff Curry/Imagn Images)

Isabeau Levito was dinged for under-rotating her triple loop and got leveled down for her step sequence, which is where she tends to pick up points on the competition. It left her in eighth place and a long shot to climb her way onto the podium Thursday night.

Read More About The 2026 Winter Olympics

Other American skating stars have seen similar disappointing individual results in Milan Cortina after the U.S. took team gold last week.

Alysa Liu

Alysa Liu of Team United States competes during the Women’s Single Skating – Short Program on day eleven of the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic games at Milano Ice Skating Arena on February 17, 2026 in Milan, Italy.  (Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images)

Skating power couple Madison Chock and Evan Bates were left with silver in ice dance thanks in part to some questionable scoring by a French judge. Meanwhile two-time world champion and Olympic favorite Ilia Malinin shockingly crashed out of the men’s free skate after falling twice during the men’s final on Friday, finishing in eighth place. 

Now, all the pressure is on Liu to ensure Team USA doesn’t have to head home without an individual gold in figure skating. 

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

“I don’t think about stuff like that,” Liu said when asked if she can beat the Japanese rivals. “Whether I beat them or not is not my goal. My goal is just to do my programs and share my story and I don’t need to be over or under anyone to do that.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.





Source link

Sports

Jerome Tang out at Kansas St.; coach to fight for-cause firing

Published

on

Jerome Tang out at Kansas St.; coach to fight for-cause firing


Kansas State fired men’s basketball coach Jerome Tang for cause, the school said Sunday night.

The last-place Wildcats have only one win in the Big 12, and Tang, in his fourth season, lashed out at his players following a blowout home loss to Cincinnati on Wednesday.

The basis for the for-cause firing, sources told ESPN, is language in Tang’s contract that references any activity that brings “public disrepute, embarrassment, ridicule” to Kansas State.

“This was a decision that was made in the best interest of our university and men’s basketball program,” Kansas State athletic director Gene Taylor said in a statement. “Recent public comments and conduct, in addition to the program’s overall direction, have not aligned with K-State’s standards for supporting student-athletes and representing the university. We wish Coach Tang and his family all the best moving forward.”

Tang took issue with the firing.

“I am deeply disappointed with the university’s decision and strongly disagree with the characterization of my termination,” he told ESPN in a statement. “I have always acted with integrity and faithfully fulfilled my responsibilities as head coach.”

In 2023, Tang signed a contract extension through the 2029-30 season, and there is still $18.67 million remaining on that deal. Tang plans to fight the for-cause firing and has retained Tom Mars and Bennett Speyer in the case.

“If K-State’s President and AD really think the school was embarrassed by recent events, that’s nothing compared to the embarrassment that both of them are about to experience,” Mars told ESPN.

The Wildcats dropped to 1-11 in Big 12 play with a 78-64 loss at No. 3 Houston on Saturday. They played the game without player names on the back of their jerseys, three days after the rant by Tang following the Cincinnati loss went viral.

“These dudes do not deserve to wear this uniform,” Tang said then. “There will be very few of them in it next year. I’m embarrassed for the university, I’m embarrassed for our fans, our student section. It is ridiculous … I have no answer. No words.”

Tang led Kansas State to the Elite Eight in his first season, winning 26 games — the program’s most since Bruce Weber’s first season in 2013. The Wildcats couldn’t continue the momentum of Tang’s first season, though, struggling in Big 12 play and missing the NCAA tournament in Year 2 and then finishing 16-17 last season.

Kansas State bottomed out this season, sitting at 10-15 overall and tied for last place in the Big 12. Some of the fans in the student section of Bramlage Coliseum wore bags over their heads during the Wildcats’ loss to Cincinnati.

Before taking over at Kansas State in 2022, Tang was an assistant coach under Scott Drew at Baylor for 20 seasons.

Tang called coaching Kansas State “one of the great honors of my life.”

“I am grateful to the players, staff, and fans who make this program so special,” he said in the statement. “I remain proud of what we built together and confident that I have always acted in the best interests of the university and our student-athletes.”

Kansas State said it would name an interim coach soon and that a national search for a replacement has begun.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer rumors, news: Man United want Liverpool’s Mac Allister

Published

on

Transfer rumors, news: Man United want Liverpool’s Mac Allister


Manchester United are considering a shock move for Liverpool midfielder Alexis Mac Allister, while Bayern Munich winger Michael Olise is the closest thing to a perfect replacement for Mohamed Salah.

Join us for the latest transfer news and rumors from around the globe.

Transfers home page | Men’s winter grades | Women’s grades

TRENDING RUMORS

Manchester United are considering a shock move for Liverpool midfielder Alexis Mac Allister, as reported by The Mirror. The Red Devils are drawing up a list of potential midfield options for the summer transfer window, and they are keeping close tabs on the 27-year-old’s future with speculation increasing that he could leave the Reds in the summer, although signing him would be a big task. Sources have told ESPN that Man United have also expressed an interest in Crystal Palace‘s Adam Wharton, Brighton & Hove Albion‘s Carlos Baleba and Nottingham Forest‘s Elliot Anderson.

– Liverpool view Bayern Munich winger Michael Olise as the closest thing to a perfect replacement for Mohamed Salah, reports TEAMtalk. Even so, Bayern will shut down any idea of a departure for the former Crystal Palace star, who is also in no rush to return to the Premier League, and they are even preparing to open talks about a new contract despite his current deal running until 2029. Liverpool’s alternatives are RB Leipzig‘s Yan Diomande, Athletic Club‘s Nico Williams, and Paris Saint-Germain pair Désiré Doué and Bradley Barcola. Meanwhile, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Barcelona are also interested in Olise but his transfer could cost over €100 million.

– Arsenal have been told that Athletic Club winger Nico Williams is considering a transfer away from the club this summer, as reported by TEAMtalk. The 23-year-old’s contract includes a release clause in the region of €100 million, with Barcelona and the Gunners being the two clubs that appeal most to him. Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich have also been informed that he could be available by “intermediaries.”

Juventus will speak to Marcos Senesi‘s agent again to try to reach an agreement to sign the center back as a free agent when his contract at AFC Bournemouth expires this summer, as reported by Nicolo Schira. Juve are working to overtake Borussia Dortmund, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Brighton & Hove Albion, Crystal Palace and Manchester United in the race to sign the 28-year-old.

– Manchester United will continue to monitor Middlesbrough’s Hayden Hackney as the Red Devils plan their recruitment strategy for the midfield ahead of the summer transfer window, according to TEAMtalk. Middlesbrough were resolute in January to see off interest from Nottingham Forest and Tottenham Hotspur, but there is a belief that Hackney will be playing Premier League football next season whether that is due to promotion or a transfer, and his links with former Boro boss Michael Carrick (who is now in charge at Old Trafford) could be key to his future. But Everton are also keeping an eye on the 23-year-old’s situation.

EXPERT TAKE

ESPN’s Liverpool correspondent Beth Lindop on the chances of a shock move for midfielder Alexis Mac Allister.

While there has been plenty of speculation over Mac Allister’s future in recent months, this one feels like a bit of a nonstarter.

The Argentina international was outstanding for Arne Slot’s side as they romped to the title last season but his notable dip in form has contributed to their struggles this term. With close friends and fellow South Americans Luis Diaz and Darwin Nunez having left the club last summer, there have been some suggestions Mac Allister could soon be open to a new challenge.

However, considering a player hasn’t directly transferred between Liverpool and Manchester United since Phil Chisnall in 1964, it seems highly unlikely Mac Allister will be the one to buck that trend.

The midfielder is under contract at Anfield until 2028 and so would command a significant transfer fee this summer. It is a move that would make little sense for all parties.

OTHER RUMORS

play

1:01

Laurens: Eze needed this performance for Arsenal

Julien Laurens praises Eberechi Eze performance vs. Wigan as Mikel Arteta rotated his starting XI in the FA cup.

– Arsenal hold an edge over Tottenham Hotspur in their efforts to sign Bayern Munich midfielder Leon Goretzka as a free agent in the summer. (Football Insider)

– Liverpool are considering reigniting their interest in Newcastle United winger Anthony Gordon in case Mohamed Salah leaves. (Football Insider)

Nicolas Jackson is set to return to Chelsea in the summer as Bayern Munich are unlikely to trigger the clause that would require them to sign the striker for a further £56.2 million on top of the £14.3 million loan fee. (Times)

– Manchester City prefer to loan out James Trafford than let the goalkeeper permanently leave, with Leeds United, Aston Villa and Newcastle United interested. (TEAMtalk)

– Arsenal will be willing to let left back Riccardo Calafiori leave in the summer amid growing concerns about his injury record. (Football Insider)

– European and Saudi Pro League sides are waiting to move for Hakan Calhanoglu if Internazionale can’t reach an agreement to extend the midfielder’s contract. (Nicolo Schira)

– There is plenty of Premier League interest in Marc Casado, but the midfielder and Barcelona will make the final decision on whether he moves. (Fabrizio Romano)

– Stuttgart have submitted a concrete offer to sign Grischa Promel as a free agent in the summer, but Hoffenheim are keen to extend the midfielder’s contract amid interest from Bayer Leverkusen, Eintracht Frankfurt and Wolfsburg. (Florian Plettenberg)

– St. Louis City are finalizing a deal to sign Venezuela forward Sergio Cordova on loan from Young Boys with an option to make the deal permanent. (Tom Bogert)



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Pakistan hockey tour controversy deepens as captain levels serious charges

Published

on

Pakistan hockey tour controversy deepens as captain levels serious charges


Pakistan national hockey team captain Ammad Shakeel Butt talking to the media at the Lahore airport on February 17, 2026. — Geo News/Screengrab
  • Butt rejects pressure claims, demands reforms within PHF.
  • Says players denied proper facilities during Australia tour.
  • Squad forced to cook, clean, manage meals independently.

Pakistan national hockey team captain Ammad Shakeel Butt has broken his silence regarding the Australia tour, levelling serious allegations of mismanagement and mental torture against the team management and the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF). 

Speaking to the media after arriving at Lahore airport, Butt confirmed that all the disturbing reports emerging from Australia were entirely accurate, stressing that they were subjected to conditions no professional player should endure.

Butt revealed that the players were forced to do menial labour, including cleaning kitchens, washing dishes, washing their own clothes, and scrubbing washrooms before heading to the field. 

“These are the boys who work strenuously for the sake of their country. How can restrictions be imposed upon them? And, how can they play after cleaning toilets and washing kitchenware?” 

He alleged that the management had turned the players into “mental patients”, adding that the management told the players that they would have to cover their three meals within meagre 115 dollars. 

Butt also highlighted that what Tahir Zaman and others have said was  “unfounded and a pack of lies”. “I am fully satisfied with the performance of my team,” he noted.

The captain expressed his frustration with the federation’s approach, claiming that efforts were made to divide the squad by asking players to choose between the captain and the management. 

“The federation asked every player separately if they are with the federation or the captain,” he stressed, adding that the entire team is standing by me.

“We were told not to speak to the media or face a ban,” Butt said. “I do not accept the PHF’s code of conduct. I am under no pressure.”

“We know the wrongs committed against us,” he added.

Reacting to players’ grievances, Noorish Sabah, Director General of the Pakistan Sports Board (PSB), who showed up at the airport to receive players,  confirmed that the PSB had arranged and paid for hotel bookings in Australia, which were subsequently cancelled by the PHF.

 Speaking to the media at the airport, she stressed, “The team management lied to us.” “If food and accommodation are not up to standard, performance will inevitably suffer.” 

She clarified that while the board had taken steps to provide facilities to the players, the responsibility for the fiasco lay with the federation. 

Sabah assured that a comprehensive inquiry report would be dispatched to the Prime Minister, emphasising that such mistreatment of national athletes would not be tolerated. 

The PSB official also demanded that the higher authorities take notice of the wrongs committed against the players. 

Despite all the chaos, Butt, however, maintained that the Pakistan squad had the potential to win the World Cup and Olympics, but stressed there was an urgent need for a foreign coach to rectify the team’s trajectory.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending