Sports
Vuelta stage winner Woods to retire at end of season | The Express Tribune

LONDON:
Canadian Michael “Rusty” Woods, a former stage winner at the Tour de France and Vuelta a Espana, has announced he will retire from professional road cycling at the end of the season, bringing to a close a career spanning over a decade.
The 38-year-old, who made history as the first athlete to both run a sub-four-minute mile and complete the Tour de France, leaves the sport after claiming an individual stage victory at the 2023 Tour de France and with three stage wins at the Vuelta a Espana, the most recent of which came last year.
“Every aspect of my life has been examined and studied to maximize my ability to ride a bike. That all-encompassing pursuit I have loved and have no regrets doing, but it is something that can only be sustained for so long.
“Considering I started this sport at 25 years old, on $1,000 bike gifted to me by my parents, knowing nothing about it, is insane. I thought, ‘I was once one of the best runners in the world—why can’t I be one of the best cyclists in the world?'”
Woods, who won bronze at the World Championships in 2018, said he still has ambitions in endurance sports.
“As they say, though, all good things must come to an end… I have made the decision to retire from professional road cycling at the end of this season,” he added.
Sports
Cowboys trade Micah Parsons to Packers in NFL blockbuster
Read more
Source link
Sports
Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee wants to make sure Rick Barnes stays with the Volunteers as long as he wants to coach the men’s basketball team.
Athletic director Danny White announced Thursday that Barnes has signed essentially a lifetime contract with Tennessee.
“Rick has taken our program to unprecedented heights, and we are absolutely thrilled to have him continue coaching on Rocky Top for the rest of his career,” White said. “He has constructed this program the right way, achieving elite-level success on the court while also ensuring that all our players excel off the court.”
Barnes, who turned 71 in July, last signed an extension in September 2023 that took him through the 2027-28 season. The contract announced Thursday automatically extends Barnes’ deal for a year every April 15 starting in 2028.
Kansas gave men’s coach Bill Self a lifetime contract in 2021 and added to that in 2023. UConn women’s coach Geno Auriemma, now 71, got a five-year extension through 2029 in June 2024.
Barnes said it’s an honor and blessing to serve as Tennessee’s men’s basketball coach. He thanked university officials for their continued belief in the program.
“Tennessee basketball would not be where it is today without the consistent efforts of so many players, coaches and staff members whom I am forever indebted to,” Barnes said. “Their relentless dedication and the unrivaled support of Vol Nation are truly why we have been so successful.”
Barnes is 232-109 (66.4%) in 10 seasons with Tennessee, including 112-67 in Southeastern Conference play. He has won at least 25 games in six seasons with four Sweet 16s, four top-10 finishes, three SEC championships and two Elite Eight berths.
The Vols have made seven straight NCAA tournaments, the fourth-longest active streak in the country recognized by the NCAA. They also are one of two teams to reach the past three Sweet 16s and past two Elite Eights.
Tennessee has been ranked in the Associated Press’ Top 25 the past four years with 80 straight appearances, the second-longest active streak in the nation.
Barnes also currently is the active Division I leader with 836 wins over 38 seasons as a head coach.
Sports
Son Heung-Min nails 1st pitch at Dodger Stadium

Star LAFC recruit Son Heung-Min is settling into life in Los Angeles brilliantly.
After netting his debut goal for the club last Saturday — a stunning 30-yard free kick against FC Dallas no less — the South Korea captain capped a fine week by throwing the ceremonial first pitch at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday.
Ahead of the Dodgers hosting Cincinnati Reds, the former Premier League star stepped up to the plate and launched a finely arced right-handed strike, much to the delight of the fans at the stadium.
Son’s pitch comes just days after BTS star V also threw the ceremonial first pitch in LA. We’ll leave it up to you to decide which Korean superstars’ throw was best.
-
Business1 week ago
RSS Feed Generator, Create RSS feeds from URL
-
Tech1 week ago
Korea develops core radar components for stealth technology
-
Fashion1 week ago
Tariff pressure casts shadow on Gujarat’s textile landscape
-
Fashion1 week ago
Rent the Runway to swap debt for equity in revival effort
-
Fashion1 week ago
US retailers split on holiday prospects amid consumer caution
-
Tech1 week ago
Qi2’s Magnetic Wireless Charging Finally Arrives on Android
-
Sports1 week ago
Dan Quinn says Terry McLaurin is healthy, ‘closer’ to Commanders return
-
Tech2 days ago
Review: Google Pixel 10 Series