Connect with us

Sports

PCB chairman denies role in Babar, Rizwan’s Asia Cup 2025 snub

Published

on

PCB chairman denies role in Babar, Rizwan’s Asia Cup 2025 snub


Pakistani batters Mohammad Rizwan and Babar Azam make a run during a match against South Africa played at Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, India on October 27, 2023. —Reuters

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Mohsin Naqvi has distanced himself from the decision to exclude top players Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan from the national squad for the upcoming ACC Men’s Asia Cup 2025.

“First of all, I don’t have a 1% role in selecting or dropping anyone. We have a selection committee and advisory body; they sit together and hold several lengthy meetings [to select the team],” said Naqvi while talking to the media in Lahore.

Babar and Rizwan, who represented Pakistan in every multi-lateral tournament since the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), have been out of favour in the shortest format since the three-match away series against South Africa in December last year.

The duo ultimately failed to make it to the Pakistan squad for the upcoming Asia Cup as the former champions shift their focus to grooming youngsters ahead of next year’s T20 World Cup.

Their snub from the continental tournament drew severe backlash from fans and has been the point of debate among cricket pundits since the announcement of the Pakistan squad.

Naqvi, who presided over the cricket board’s 80th Board of Governors (BoG) meeting earlier today, reiterated that the national teams are selected solely on merit by the selection committee and advisors, denying his involvement in the process.

“Definitely, if they are selecting a team, so I have full faith in them. They are professional, and I instructed them to make the decisions on merit.

“Rest, whatever the lot was available, we polished them and carried forward, and by the will of Almighty Allah, our strive would be to further explore young talent so that the competition grows.”

When asked about wicketkeeper batter Mohammad Rizwan’s future as Pakistan’s ODI captain, Naqvi said: “Selectors will make a decision. Head coach has submitted his report after our last contested ODI.” 

“We are going through it, and after mutual consultation, whatever is decided will be conveyed,” he added.

Rizwan, who was appointed Pakistan’s white-ball captain in October 2024, succeeding star batter Babar Azam, had a dream start to his tenure as the national team won three consecutive bilateral series, including historic triumphs away against Australia and South Africa.

The national team’s performance under Rizwan’s captaincy, however, deteriorated significantly as they lost the tri-nation series against South Africa and New Zealand before suffering a group-stage exit from the ICC Men’s Champions Trophy 2025 in home conditions.

Pakistan squad for Tri-series and Asia Cup 2025

Saim Ayub, Fakhar Zaman, Salman Ali Agha (C), Abrar Ahmed, Faheem Ashraf, Haris Rauf, Hasan Ali, Hasan Nawaz, Hussain Talat, Khushdil Shah, Mohammad Haris (WK), Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Wasim Jr., Sahibzada Farhan, Salman Mirza, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Sufiyan Muqeem. 





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Cowboys trade Micah Parsons to Packers in NFL blockbuster

Published

on



Read more



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract

Published

on

Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract


KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee wants to make sure Rick Barnes stays with the Volunteers as long as he wants to coach the men’s basketball team.

Athletic director Danny White announced Thursday that Barnes has signed essentially a lifetime contract with Tennessee.

“Rick has taken our program to unprecedented heights, and we are absolutely thrilled to have him continue coaching on Rocky Top for the rest of his career,” White said. “He has constructed this program the right way, achieving elite-level success on the court while also ensuring that all our players excel off the court.”

Barnes, who turned 71 in July, last signed an extension in September 2023 that took him through the 2027-28 season. The contract announced Thursday automatically extends Barnes’ deal for a year every April 15 starting in 2028.

Kansas gave men’s coach Bill Self a lifetime contract in 2021 and added to that in 2023. UConn women’s coach Geno Auriemma, now 71, got a five-year extension through 2029 in June 2024.

Barnes said it’s an honor and blessing to serve as Tennessee’s men’s basketball coach. He thanked university officials for their continued belief in the program.

“Tennessee basketball would not be where it is today without the consistent efforts of so many players, coaches and staff members whom I am forever indebted to,” Barnes said. “Their relentless dedication and the unrivaled support of Vol Nation are truly why we have been so successful.”

Barnes is 232-109 (66.4%) in 10 seasons with Tennessee, including 112-67 in Southeastern Conference play. He has won at least 25 games in six seasons with four Sweet 16s, four top-10 finishes, three SEC championships and two Elite Eight berths.

The Vols have made seven straight NCAA tournaments, the fourth-longest active streak in the country recognized by the NCAA. They also are one of two teams to reach the past three Sweet 16s and past two Elite Eights.

Tennessee has been ranked in the Associated Press’ Top 25 the past four years with 80 straight appearances, the second-longest active streak in the nation.

Barnes also currently is the active Division I leader with 836 wins over 38 seasons as a head coach.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Son Heung-Min nails 1st pitch at Dodger Stadium

Published

on

Son Heung-Min nails 1st pitch at Dodger Stadium


Star LAFC recruit Son Heung-Min is settling into life in Los Angeles brilliantly.

After netting his debut goal for the club last Saturday — a stunning 30-yard free kick against FC Dallas no less — the South Korea captain capped a fine week by throwing the ceremonial first pitch at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday.

Ahead of the Dodgers hosting Cincinnati Reds, the former Premier League star stepped up to the plate and launched a finely arced right-handed strike, much to the delight of the fans at the stadium.

Son’s pitch comes just days after BTS star V also threw the ceremonial first pitch in LA. We’ll leave it up to you to decide which Korean superstars’ throw was best.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending