Connect with us

Business

American Airlines flight attendants picket as CEO tries to calm frustrated employees

Published

on

American Airlines flight attendants picket as CEO tries to calm frustrated employees


American Airlines flight attendants’ union plans to hold a picket outside the company’s headquarters on Thursday pushing for new leadership at the carrier, which has lagged rivals Delta Air Lines and United Airlines in profitability and punctuality.

Ahead of the picket on Wednesday night, American CEO Robert Isom sought to calm frustrated employees and listed improvements the carrier expects this year, including a jump in profits as well as improvements to schedules and new cabins.

“We look forward to working with all of you to make it happen,” Isom said in a video message filmed at the airline’s Fort Worth, Texas headquarters.

The picket comes days after the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, which represents American’s 28,000 cabin crew members, issued a vote of no confidence in Isom, which the union said was its first such move. The chief executive was also criticized by the pilots’ union, which sought a meeting with the airline’s board, of which Isom is a member, to discuss the problems. Unions for pilots, flight attendants and mechanics have all recently said the company needs to do better to improve reliability and financial results.

The protest is an unusual move outside of contract negotiations.

The signals from the labor groups have increased pressure on Isom, who took the helm nearly four years ago, and American’s leadership team, which is investing in cabin upgrades, bigger airport lounges and other on-board products.

Last month, American forecast stronger revenue and profits for 2026 and said it expects to report adjusted earnings per share of as much as $2.70, up from an adjusted 36 cents last year.

American is in the middle of a revamp that it hopes will help revive profits with more modern airplane cabins that command higher fares, which is especially important as coach-class fares have dropped. It has also built bigger lounges and added free Wi-Fi for customers.

For the first 11 months of the year, American ranked eighth in punctuality with a 73.7% on-time rate, according to the Department of Transportation. It is now adjusting its schedules, including at its massive Dallas-Fort Worth International hub where it is spreading out flights more throughout the day.

But it has a long way to go. In 2025, American posted net income of $111 million compared with Delta’s $5 billion and more than $3.3 billion from United. The lower profits meant a smaller profit-sharing pool for employees, which staff members have complained about.

In a town hall with employees last month, Isom noted that American’s pilots, flight attendants and other groups have recently sealed new labor contracts that have meant higher wages compared with their counterparts at rival United. But he said he was disappointed by the profit-sharing.

The flight attendants have also said they were frustrated with American’s struggles to recover from major winter storms, which left some crew members without a place to sleep.

“This airline is headed down a path that puts our careers at risk,” the flight attendants’ union said in a notice about the picket. “Now is the time for Flight Attendants to stand together and show up in protest. American Airlines needs real accountability, decisive action, and leadership that will put this airline back on a competitive path.”

Isom is also trying not only to win support of frontline crews but also to rally higher-ups. Last week, at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas, Isom spoke to about 6,000 managers about the years ahead as the airline turns 100.

“We’ve filled an entire Major League Baseball field with this proud and talented team. The best in the industry,” he said, according to a transcript of his remarks, which were seen by CNBC. “It’s incumbent on all of us to build on our progress … and to ensure that we grow profitability so American is around for the next 100 years.”

Read more CNBC airline news



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Fan spending on Harry Styles Wembley gigs set to top £1bn

Published

on

Fan spending on Harry Styles Wembley gigs set to top £1bn



Fan spending for Harry Styles’s 12-night run at Wembley Stadium is set to reach £1.1 billion despite ongoing cost-of-living pressures, figures suggest.

Ticket-holders are expected to spend a total of £981 on average attending the Together, Together tour – which is limited to London in the UK – including travelling to the venue, staying overnight, buying merchandise and other costs, according to a survey for Barclays bank.

The figure exceeds the average £848 spent by fans who flocked to Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour, and the average £766 on attending the Oasis Live ’25 shows, although these were both held across four UK locations, leading to lower travel costs.

Styles’ fans anticipate they will spend an average £102 on official tour merchandise, while nine in 10 will participate in a “fan trend” on the day with 63% planning to wear a Harry Styles-themed look.

A fifth (20%) will make sure their outfits are co-ordinated with their friends and 22% hope to create or exchange fan-made items with other fans.

Barclays said the event was set to be a “major cultural moment” as a million ticket-holders travel to London for the 12 dates beginning on June 12.

With just one other European tour location, in Amsterdam, Styles’ Wembley residency will be the most performances by any artist in a single year at the venue, which has a capacity of around 90,000 people for music events.

The survey found those going to the show spent an average of £143.20 on their ticket, with 19% saying this was more than they planned but 66% saying they would have been willing to pay more if needed.

Other expected costs include an average £141.20 on accommodation, £103.10 on transport and £103.10 on food and drinks before the show.

Some 28% of fans say they are planning other activities such as sightseeing and exhibitions while in London.

More than a quarter (27%) of ticket-holders view the concert as a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and 17% said FOMO (fear of missing out) played a part in their purchase.

Almost 74% of those polled said getting tickets to sold-out or in-demand events now felt like a status symbol.

Tom Corbett, managing director of sponsorship and client experience at Barclays, said: “This tour shows just how powerful live entertainment can be, benefiting consumers and businesses alike.

“‘Concert tourism’ is on the rise because of the extent to which people value unique, shared experiences – so much so that they’re willing to invest in them even when cutting back elsewhere, and to travel to see their favourite artists perform.”

Opinium surveyed 2,000 respondents, and an additional 200 ticket-holders, between April 28 and May 1.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

CDC says American tests positive for Ebola in Africa, risk in the U.S. remains low

Published

on

CDC says American tests positive for Ebola in Africa, risk in the U.S. remains low


A sign sits outside of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Roybal campus in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. March 18, 2026.

Megan Varner | Reuters

One American has tested positive for Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo in connection to the deadly outbreak in central Africa that global health agencies are racing to contain, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Monday.

The person was exposed as part of their work in Congo, developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday, Dr. Satish Pillai, the CDC’s Ebola response incident manager, told reporters on a call. The CDC and State Department are working to move that individual and six other Americans exposed to Ebola to Germany for treatment, care and monitoring. 

But Pillai emphasized that no cases tied to the outbreak have been confirmed in the U.S., and that the overall risk to the American public and travelers remains low.

Still, the CDC also announced on Monday that for the next 30 days, it will restrict entry into the country for people without a U.S. passport who were in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan or Uganda in the last three weeks.

The update came one day after the World Health Organization declared the Ebola epidemic a “public health emergency of international concern.” The outbreak does not meet the criteria of a “pandemic emergency,” but the WHO warned that the high positivity rate and increasing cases and deaths point toward a “potentially much larger outbreak” than what is being detected and reported.  

As of Sunday, more than 300 suspected cases and 88 suspected deaths have been reported, primarily in Congo but also in neighboring Uganda, according to the CDC.

The specific virus involved in this outbreak, called Bundibugyo, has no vaccine or treatment. Historically, that virus has death rates ranging from 25% to 50%, the CDC added. 

But agency officials told reporters on Monday that work is underway to develop a monoclonal antibody therapy as a potential treatment for this specific strain of Ebola. 

Choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted name in business news.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Elon Musk just lost another lawsuit. Will he keep fighting?

Published

on

Elon Musk just lost another lawsuit. Will he keep fighting?



Musk’s loss against OpenAI is the latest in a string of courtroom defeats.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending