Business
Ford to follow Tesla Cybertruck with electrical tech in new EV pickup
Early renderings released by Ford Motor of its next-generation, electric pickup truck, based on its upcoming universal electric vehicle platform.
Courtesy Ford
DETROIT — Ford Motor‘s $5 billion “bet” on its next generation of all-electric vehicles will feature a budding technology that Tesla commercialized in the U.S. on its Cybertruck, the Detroit automaker said Tuesday.
The system, known as a 48-volt electrical architecture, had been discussed in the automotive industry for decades but Tesla was the first to bring it to consumers in 2023.
The auto industry has historically used a 12-volt system with a lead-acid battery for all vehicles to power the car’s accessories — but that’s been problematic and caused recalls for many EVs. The new architecture instead uses the EV’s high-voltage battery to power everything.
The 48-volt system improves efficiency, allows for additional electrical bandwidth and saves weight through the reduction of wiring, officials have said. The power also can be “stepped down” to 12 volts, when needed, through the use of new electronic control units, or ECUs, that handle different groups of an EV’s architecture.
The new electrical system is one of many innovations that Ford believes will allow its next-generation EVs — starting with a $30,000 small electric pickup truck in 2027 — to compete against Tesla as well as rapidly expanding Chinese brands in global markets.
“At Ford, we took on the challenge many others have stopped doing. We’re taking the fight to our competition, including the Chinese,” Ford CEO Jim Farley said during an August event at a plant in Kentucky that will produce the unnamed electric pickup. “For too long, legacy automakers played it safe.”
Farley has called it a “Model T moment” for the company, referring to the company’s flagship vehicle that came out more than a century ago and led to the mass adoption of vehicles during the early 1900s. He’s also called it a “bet” for Ford given the amount of changes it will make to the EVs as well as the company and its processes.
Ford expects the new EVs, which will be based on a common “Universal Electric Vehicle,” or UEV, to have comparable costs to gas-powered vehicles through new technologies and efficiencies. Currently, the massive batteries that power EVs have made them far more expensive to produce and have been infamously unprofitable.
The Detroit automaker has said the new EVs will reduce parts by 20% versus a typical vehicle, with 25% fewer fasteners, 40% fewer workstations dock-to-dock in the plant and 15% faster assembly time.
“It represents the most radical change on how we design and how we build vehicles at Ford since the Model T,” Farley said at the plant. “Now is time to change the game once again.”
Ford CEO Jim Farley speaks at the Louisville Assembly Plant as the company shares its plans to design and assemble breakthrough electric vehicles in the United States, Aug. 11, 2025.
Courtesy: Ford
Ford said those improvements, as well as price points that are more similar to gas-powered models, will lead to greater adoption of EVs. That’s despite a significant slowdown in U.S. EV sales amid changes to federal support by the Trump administration as well as less-than-expected consumer adoption.
U.S. EV sales peaked in September, ahead of the federal incentives ending, at 10.3% of the new vehicle market, according to Cox Automotive. That demand plummeted to preliminary estimates of 5.8% during the fourth quarter.
Those market conditions recently led Ford to announce $19.5 billion in write-downs, largely related to a pullback in EV plans, but the company said it will continue to invest $5 billion for its new UEV platform through 2027.
“Our focus has been on giving them everything they would get in a nice vehicle and more, and we think that that will allow us to ultimately not just make an affordable vehicle, but make one that’s extremely desirable,” Alan Clarke, Ford’s executive director of advanced EV development, said during a media briefing.
48-volt system
The 48-volt system provides significant benefits to other parts of the vehicle aside from just the battery and is expected to continue to do so as the bandwidth of 12-volt batteries gets maxed out, according Clarke, a former Tesla executive.
“It’s less expensive, has smaller wires and is the future of automotive,” he said. “So, if you want to future-protect this platform to exist for more than a decade … it’s very clear that 48 made the most sense.”
Alan Clarke, Ford’s executive director of advanced EV development, during a video presentation on Ford’s Universal Electric Vehicle platform.
Courtesy Ford
Ford said the wiring harness in the new midsize truck will be more than 4,000 feet shorter and 22 pounds lighter than the wiring harness used in Ford’s first-generation electric SUV.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk sent competitors such as Ford and General Motors a “how-to” guide on developing a 48-volt system in 2023.
Clarke said Ford had already decided on a 48-volt platform before getting the letter but that it “certainly added fuel to the fire” and was a “helpful starting point to see how they thought about” it. It also helped suppliers get ready to assist with 48-volt systems, he added.
Gigacastings
In addition to the 48-volt system, the company on Tuesday released additional details on how it’s achieving its targets with the new EV through aerodynamics, team “bounties” to increase vehicle efficiency and turning to Tesla-pioneered “gigacastings.”
Gigacasting is a manufacturing process that can replace dozens of traditionally small, stamped parts with larger pieces. The process requires massive machines to pressurize large sheets of metal into parts such as a vehicle’s facia or underlying structure.
A Ford F-150 Lightning next to a Tesla Cybertruck.
Michael Wayland / CNBC
Ford said the new pickup will only have two structural front and rear parts compared with 146 such components on its current gas-powered Maverick small pickup.
Ford also said its aluminum castings for the upcoming EV are more than 27% lighter than those features on a Tesla Model Y.
“We’re still on a really steep decline of EV costs, and you can only get that by innovating, and you can only get that by system level, optimizing into what eventually becomes a product that a customer wants,” Clarke said.
Business
Market recap: 6 of top-10 most-valued firms add Rs 74,111 crore; Reliance biggest winner
The combined market valuation of six of India’s top-10 most valued companies rose by Rs 74,111.57 crore last week, with Reliance Industries emerging as the biggest gainer. The rally came during a volatile trading week in which the BSE Sensex advanced 177.36 points, or 0.23%.According to news agency ANI, Reliance Industries added Rs 24,696.89 crore to its valuation, taking its total market capitalisation to Rs 18,33,117.70 crore.Tata Consultancy Services saw its valuation jump by Rs 19,338.68 crore to Rs 8,38,401.33 crore, while ICICI Bank added Rs 14,515.93 crore to reach a market capitalisation of Rs 9,06,901.32 crore.The valuation of Life Insurance Corporation of India climbed Rs 9,076.37 crore to Rs 5,14,443.69 crore.Meanwhile, Bajaj Finance gained Rs 3,797.83 crore, taking its valuation to Rs 5,70,515.57 crore, while Larsen & Toubro added Rs 2,685.87 crore to Rs 5,40,228.21 crore.
Airtel, HUL among laggards
On the losing side, Bharti Airtel witnessed the sharpest erosion in market value, losing Rs 20,229.67 crore to settle at Rs 11,40,295.49 crore.The market valuation of Hindustan Unilever declined by Rs 16,212.18 crore to Rs 5,17,380 crore, while State Bank of India lost Rs 12,784.4 crore in valuation to Rs 8,76,077.92 crore.HDFC Bank also saw its market capitalisation dip by Rs 2,094.35 crore to Rs 11,79,974.90 crore.Reliance Industries retained its position as India’s most valued company, followed by HDFC Bank, Bharti Airtel, ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, TCS, Bajaj Finance, Larsen & Toubro, Hindustan Unilever and LIC.
Markets end volatile week with modest gains
Ajit Mishra, SVP, research at Religare Broking Ltd, said markets ended the week with marginal gains amid a “highly volatile and range-bound trading environment”.“Benchmark indices witnessed sharp intraday swings throughout the week, driven by persistent rupee weakness, mixed global cues, sectoral rotation, and continued uncertainty around inflation and interest rates,” he said, as quoted by ANI.Benchmark indices recovered on Friday, with the Sensex closing 231.99 points higher at 75,415.35 and the NSE Nifty rising 64.60 points to settle at 23,719.30.Analysts cited optimism surrounding possible progress in US-Iran peace negotiations and easing Middle East tensions as factors supporting market sentiment.Vinod Nair, head of research at Geojit Investments, was quoted by news agency PTI as saying that domestic markets traded with a “mild positive bias” due to buying at lower levels and constructive global cues.“Globally, the AI investment theme remained the primary driver, while domestically, financial stocks led the gains,” he said.Brent crude prices climbed 2.3% to $104.7 per barrel, while foreign institutional investors (FIIs) sold equities worth Rs 1,891.21 crore in the previous session.
Business
Why essentials like eggs, bread and milk cost so much more now
Six supermarket brand eggs cost £1 in 2022. How much are they now, why have they gone up, and is anyone profiteering?
Source link
Business
Red tape, not bad luck, hits capital | The Express Tribune
LAHORE:
Imagine a country sitting at the crossroads of South Asia and Central Asia, with a population of 250 million, abundant natural resources, and a GDP exceeding $450 billion, yet struggling to convince even its own businesspeople to invest at home.
That is Pakistan’s continued uncomfortable reality in 2026, and the way things are going, the business community believes that even after elevating higher, in the past one year due to perfect diplomacy, the government needs to take strict action against those civil servants and state officials, who still try to slow the pace of overseas and local investment as well as development work, which has jeopardised the growth of the country.
“Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Pakistan fell 31% during the first 10 months of financial year 2025-26, with total inflows coming in at $1.409 billion against $2.035 billion during the same period a year earlier,” said Mian Shafqat Ali, Founder of the Pakistan Industrial and Traders Association Front. He raised alarm over what he calls a deepening investment crisis, warning that both local and foreign investment has dipped to one of its lowest levels in recent memory.
He added that the root cause of this decline is not a lack of opportunity, but a system that actively discourages investors at every step. “The real obstacle in the way of investment is the layers upon layers of bureaucratic hurdles. Without removing these barriers, the dream of increasing investment cannot be realised.”
He noted that investors, both domestic and foreign, are deeply sensitive to the environment they operate in, and Pakistan’s current legal and regulatory framework, unpredictable energy policies, fluctuating exchange rates, and ad hoc government decisions have created an atmosphere of uncertainty that keeps capital away.
The business community by and large thinks that once the US-Israel-Iran conflict is settled fully, Pakistan can have better opportunities; however they simultaneously say that to grab those opportunities, “we need to settle our systems, which are dominated by anti-investment and anti-business culture”.
There are systems, which welcome and protect overseas as well as local investment; those societies belong to the first world or second world; “unfortunately here in Pakistan we are still unable to manage the smooth flow of Chinese investments, whom we call ‘iron brothers’,” said Bilal Hanif, a Lahore-based businessman.
“We keep building new institutions and launching new investment windows, but nothing changes on the ground because the real problem is structural. A foreign investor does not just look at your pitch; he looks at your court system, your tax regime, and whether rules will be the same two years from now. On all these counts, we are falling short,” he said.
Pakistan has averaged barely $2 billion in annual FDI over the past 26 years; a figure that expert bodies like the Pakistan Business Council say should be at least $12 billion per year, or roughly 3% of GDP, to meet basic development benchmarks. Meanwhile, regional competitors such as India, Vietnam, Indonesia, and even smaller economies like Bangladesh have consistently attracted far greater inflows, benefiting from predictable regulations, stronger investor protection, and long-term policy continuity.
Mian Shafqat Ali was clear that the failure does not rest with any single institution. He said the problem is not the fault of the Special Investment Facilitation Council (SIFC) or any other body, but rather the deeply entrenched systems that make doing business in Pakistan unnecessarily complicated.
“Until policymakers are willing to make difficult structural and political decisions, investment will remain weak, no matter how many new institutions are created,” he warned.
What investors consistently ask for is not complicated; it is political stability, simple regulations, and confidence that policies of today will not be reversed tomorrow. Pakistan, unfortunately, has struggled to offer any of these in a reliable manner. Frequent political disruptions, leadership changes, and policy discontinuity have created uncertainty that discourages long-term capital, and the capital does not avoid Pakistan because of a lack of opportunity, it avoids uncertainty.
“Government should move beyond announcements and focus on real structural reforms, overhauling the regulatory framework, simplifying business registration processes, ensuring energy availability at competitive rates and most importantly, providing a stable and consistent policy environment as without fixing the foundation, everything else is meaningless,” Ali added.
-
Entertainment1 week agoWhere Pete Davidson, Elsie Hewitt stand after breakup: Details revealed
-
Politics1 week agoRising diesel costs from Iran war strain US school budgets
-
Entertainment1 week agoDrake drops highly anticipated "Iceman" album, plus two surprise albums
-
Tech1 week agoGreg Brockman Officially Takes Control of OpenAI’s Products in Latest Shakeup
-
Tech7 days agoWhy Is Your Grill So Dumb? The Best Grills Set Temp Like an Oven
-
Business1 week agoUK borrowing costs rise and pound falls as leadership drama continues
-
Tech7 days agoThis Solar-Powered Smart Sprinkler Keeps My Lawn Watered Without Any Power Cables
-
Fashion1 week agoRMG trade bodies seek policy support from Bangladesh PM
