Politics
UK Officially Blocks Israeli Participation in London Arms Exhibition Amid Gaza Tensions

The UK government announced on Friday that representatives of the Israeli government will not be invited to participate in an upcoming London arms fair, amid escalating diplomatic tensions between Britain and Israel over the situation in Gaza. A government spokesperson stated that the decision reflects growing concerns regarding recent developments in the region and the UK’s position on ongoing humanitarian and political issues.
The move comes as relations between the two countries face increased scrutiny, drawing attention from international observers and media.
“We can confirm that no Israeli government delegation will be invited to attend DSEI UK 2025” in September, said a defence ministry statement emailed to AFP.
Israeli defence companies will still be allowed to attend the biennial event. But Israel slammed the move taken against officials as “discrimination”.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government has in recent months suspended arms export licences to Israel for use in Gaza, suspended trade talks with Israel and sanctioned two far-right Israeli ministers in protest at the conduct of the war.
“The Israeli government’s decision to further escalate its military operation in Gaza is wrong,” the UK government statement said.
“There must be a diplomatic solution to end this war now, with an immediate ceasefire, the return of the hostages and a surge in humanitarian aid to the people of Gaza,” it added.
Israel’s defence ministry reacted furiously to officials being excluded from the event, which runs September 9 to 12.
“These restrictions amount to a deliberate and regrettable act of discrimination against Israel’s representatives,” it said.
“Accordingly, the Israel ministry of defence will withdraw from the exhibition and will not establish a national pavilion,” it added.
– Protests –
The DSEI UK website said the event “includes unrivalled access to international governments, ministries of defence, and military officials, alongside all UK front line commands”.
The move comes after France in June blocked access to the stands of several Israeli arms manufacturers at the Paris Air show for displaying “offensive weapons”.
Demonstrations are planned for the opening of the London fair at the Excel London exhibition centre.
A coalition of more than 100 grassroots organisations and activist groups, under the banner “Shut DSEI Down”, are set to converge on the venue.
“The coalition includes a large number of pro-Palestine organisations, as well as climate, anti-imperialist and social justice groups,” a spokesperson said this week.
Starmer last month announced that Britain will recognise a Palestinian state in September .
If Israel does not take steps, including agreeing to a truce in the Gaza war.
European Union foreign ministers are to discuss possible new sanctions against Israel and Hamas at a meeting in Copenhagen on Saturday.
Sweden and the Netherlands have already called for more action.
Politics
Trump Cancels India Visit Amid Rising Trade Tensions

US President Donald Trump has dropped plan to visit India later this year, as trade frictions and political disagreements strain relations between Washington and New Delhi, the New York Times reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
The development comes after months of escalating tensions, with both sides struggling to make progress on trade talks. In recent weeks, the United States doubled tariffs on Indian goods to as high as 50% over India’s continuing imports of Russian oil.
A punitive 25% tariff, imposed due to India’s purchases of Russian oil, was added to Trump’s prior 25% tariff on many imports from the South Asian nation. It takes total duties as high as 50% for goods as varied as garments, gems and jewellery, footwear, sporting goods, furniture and chemicals — among the highest imposed by the US and roughly on par with Brazil and China.
According to people familiar with the matter, Trump had earlier assured Prime Minister Narendra Modi that he would attend a Quad summit in India later this year. However, the visit has now been removed from his schedule.
The cancellation reflects a sharp downturn in the relationship between the two leaders, who once publicly celebrated their partnership at mass rallies in Houston and Gujarat.
Tensions between Trump and Modi deepened after a June phone call, during which the US president claimed personal credit for defusing military hostilities between India and Pakistan earlier this year.
Trump said that Pakistan was set to nominate him for the Nobel Peace Prize and implied that India should consider doing the same. Modi rejected the claim, insisting that the ceasefire had been arranged directly between New Delhi and Islamabad without American mediation.
The disagreement coincided with worsening trade friction. Indian officials had hoped to finalise a limited trade deal to ease tariff pressure, but talks collapsed amid growing mistrust.
Washington’s measures have unsettled New Delhi, where Trump’s actions are increasingly seen as heavy-handed. One senior Indian official described the approach as “bullying.”
Modi has since shifted focus toward alternative partnerships. He arrived in China today to meet President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin, signalling India’s intent to balance ties as relations with Washington sour.
The White House has maintained that the two leaders retain a “respectful relationship” and remain in communication. However, the absence of a US presidential visit is widely viewed as a setback for bilateral ties at a time when both nations face crucial economic and security challenges.
Politics
Trump scraps India visit amid escalating trade tensions: report


- Trump was earlier scheduled to attend Quad summit in India.
- Tensions between Trump, Modi deepened after June phone call.
- Modi since shifted focus toward alternative partnerships.
US President Donald Trump has dropped plan to visit India later this year, as trade frictions and political disagreements strain relations between Washington and New Delhi, the New York Times reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
The development comes after months of escalating tensions, with both sides struggling to make progress on trade talks. In recent weeks, the United States doubled tariffs on Indian goods to as high as 50% over India’s continuing imports of Russian oil.
A punitive 25% tariff, imposed due to India’s purchases of Russian oil, was added to Trump’s prior 25% tariff on many imports from the South Asian nation. It takes total duties as high as 50% for goods as varied as garments, gems and jewellery, footwear, sporting goods, furniture and chemicals — among the highest imposed by the US and roughly on par with Brazil and China.
According to people familiar with the matter, Trump had earlier assured Prime Minister Narendra Modi that he would attend a Quad summit in India later this year. However, the visit has now been removed from his schedule.
The cancellation reflects a sharp downturn in the relationship between the two leaders, who once publicly celebrated their partnership at mass rallies in Houston and Gujarat.
Tensions between Trump and Modi deepened after a June phone call, during which the US president claimed personal credit for defusing military hostilities between India and Pakistan earlier this year.
Trump said that Pakistan was set to nominate him for the Nobel Peace Prize and implied that India should consider doing the same. Modi rejected the claim, insisting that the ceasefire had been arranged directly between New Delhi and Islamabad without American mediation.
The disagreement coincided with worsening trade friction. Indian officials had hoped to finalise a limited trade deal to ease tariff pressure, but talks collapsed amid growing mistrust.
Washington’s measures have unsettled New Delhi, where Trump’s actions are increasingly seen as heavy-handed. One senior Indian official described the approach as “bullying.”
Modi has since shifted focus toward alternative partnerships. He arrived in China today to meet President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin, signalling India’s intent to balance ties as relations with Washington sour.
The White House has maintained that the two leaders retain a “respectful relationship” and remain in communication. However, the absence of a US presidential visit is widely viewed as a setback for bilateral ties at a time when both nations face crucial economic and security challenges.
Politics
Asian fraud mastermind now living in Dubai loses £90m property empire and Ferrari


LONDON: A self-styled British Asian clothing tycoon who sold counterfeit socks and pants while operating an extensive fraud ring will have all his UK assets seized after the Crown Prosecution Service won a court order to confiscate up to £90m worth of property and luxury cars, a UK judge has ruled.
Arif Patel, 57, from Preston, Lancashire, who has been on the run since 2011, will have homes and business premises he owned taken from him after a confiscation order granted by a judge at Chester crown court.
His Ferrari 575 Superamerica will be sold at auction, as will property in Morocco, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Turkey, the court has ruled.
Patel masterminded a gang that was convicted in 2023 of one of the UK’s biggest VAT tax frauds in HMRC’s history. Carousel fraud involves chains of fake business transactions used to steal VAT repayments. Goods are moved between different companies in a circular pattern. This creates false export and import records used by criminals to claim back large sums from tax authorities.

His operation stole millions through VAT repayment claims on false exports of mobile phones and textiles. They also imported and sold counterfeit clothes. These would have been worth £50m had they been genuine. Patel also owned properties in Morocco, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.
His restrained property assets will be sold and the money put back into the public coffers under the order.
During a 14-week trial, Patel and his co-accused, Mohamed Jaffer Ali, 61, of Dubai, were both found guilty in their absence of fraud and money laundering offences.
Richard Las, director, Fraud Investigation Service, HMRC, said: “Arif Patel lived a lavish lifestyle at the expense of the law-abiding majority, but he will now lose the property empire he amassed from the proceeds of crime.
“Our work never stops at conviction. For the last two years, we’ve worked with police and CPS partners to secure one of the biggest criminal confiscations we’ve ever recovered.”
Mark Winstanley, Assistant Chief Constable, Lancashire Constabulary, said: “Arif Patel was the head of a Preston-based organised crime group responsible for causing millions of pounds worth of losses to multiple companies.
“His actions, motivated by greed, directly impacted the taxpayer.”
Patel ran his illegal scheme using Preston-based import/export company Faisaltex Ltd.
He travelled to Dubai in July 2011 and failed to return. He was tried in his absence at Chester Crown Court, where he was found guilty of all charges.
Together, Patel and Ali were sentenced in their absence to a total of 31 years in prison. The UK has a formal extradition treaty with Dubai.
Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor of the Crown Prosecution Service Proceeds of Crime Division, said: “The CPS has worked robustly with HMRC and Lancashire Police to ensure that Arif Patel could not keep the benefit from his fake counterfeit designer clothes scam and fraudulent VAT claims. In total, he must pay back more than £90 million or have more prison time added to his original sentence. In the last five years, £478 million has been recovered from CPS obtained Confiscation Orders, ensuring that thousands of convicted criminals cannot profit from their offending. Over £95 million of that amount has been returned to victims of crime, by way of compensation.”
-
Tech4 days ago
Review: Google Pixel 10 Series
-
Sports3 days ago
New Zealand rugby player Shane Christie, who suffered multiple concussions, dies aged 39 – SUCH TV
-
Tech3 days ago
Top CDC Officials Resign After Director Is Pushed Out
-
Fashion3 days ago
ICE cotton futures fall for 2nd consecutive day on strong crop outlook
-
Fashion3 days ago
Portugal Jewels Chiado boutique nominated for two global design awards
-
Fashion3 days ago
Israel’s Delta Galil posts $470 mn Q2 sales, updates 2025 guidance
-
Sports3 days ago
Dolphins GM Chris Grier says fans threatened his family in string of vile emails after team’s lackluster year
-
Sports3 days ago
New-look Pac-12 extends CW deal through 2031