Entertainment
Civil, military leaders celebrate Independence Day, hail ‘Marka-e-Haq’ victory in unity call

- Independence Day tied to recent military victory.
- PM calls for unity in ‘spirit of 1947’.
- Zardari urges reform, economic revival.
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s civil and military leadership marked the country’s 78th Independence Day with messages of renewed unity, resilience, and commitment to defending sovereignty, tying this year’s celebrations to the military success in Marka-e-Haq — the period of conflict with India from the April 22 Pahalgam attack to the May 10 conclusion of operation Bunyan-um-Marsoos.
The leaders paid tribute to the sacrifices of the nation’s founders and martyrs, emphasising that the this year’s April–May confrontation with India had reinforced the sanctity of Pakistan’s freedom and the resolve to safeguard it.
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif
Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif extended his sincere invitation to all political parties and segments of the society to join hands with them in strengthening their resolve to safeguard the national interests.
“On this day, I call upon all political forces and citizens to unite in the spirit of 1947 and together build a strong and prosperous Pakistan for generations to come,” the Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.
“I extend my heartfelt felicitations to the nation on completion of 78 years of independence of Pakistan. I pay tribute to Father of the Nation, Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, and the Thinker of Pakistan, Allama Muhammad Iqbal, who along with other resolute leaders and workers of the Independence Movement united the nation under one vision, one mission and one goal,” the premier said.
“The past 78 years tell a tale of resilience, strong faith and a hope of a bright future when as a nation, we braved several difficult challenges,” he said, linking the country’s endurance to its military success earlier this year.
“Pakistan’s historic victory in Marka-e-Haq during the four-day war imposed by India has not only reinforced the sanctity of our freedom, but has also instilled a renewed sense of ambition and national spirit in the hearts of our people, magnifying the pride and fervour of this Independence Day.”
He praised the armed forces for reviving “their past glory and shattered the false pride of enemy by acting as a Bunyan-um-Marsoos – a solid fortified wall” and paid tribute to martyrs “who sacrificed their lives for the sake of our freedom”.
Calling it “not merely a military conquest, but also the victory of the validation of a Two-Nation Theory,” the PM vowed to “stand vigilant to defend and safeguard our national interests including water resources.”
While asserting Pakistan’s belief in “peaceful coexistence and resolving the regional and global issues through dialogue and diplomacy,” he urged India to “demonstrate the same will for the resolution of all disputes, including the Jammu and Kashmir dispute.”
The premier also stressed the importance of economic stability for national defence, citing “the substantial reduction in electricity tariffs” and pledging to “mobilise all available resources” to meet economic, industrial, and technological challenges. “We all need to demonstrate the spirit of Marka-e-Haq and the Pakistan Movement,” he said.
President Asif Ali Zardari
President Asif Ali zardari said: “Let us rise beyond our divisions and stand together for a Pakistan that is built on justice, equality, faith, and service to all.”
The president linked the celebrations to the recent conflict, saying the nation marked the day “with a sense of renewed pride and hope as recently the nation had reaffirmed its strength, resolve, and unity in the face of external aggression.”
“Our success in Marka-e-Haq and Operation Bunyan-um-Marsoos is a landmark moment in our history. It was a demonstration of unshakable national will, professional excellence, and united purpose,” he said.
“Faced with unjustified Indian aggression, Pakistan responded with clarity, courage and restraint. The world witnessed a nation that was peace-loving, but fully capable of defending its sovereignty and territorial integrity,” the president added.
Calling it “more than military success,” Zardari said it was “a reminder of what we can achieve when we are united, focused, and committed to a common goal” and urged the nation to “channel this spirit into our economic revival, educational reform, technological advancement, institutional development, and environmental resilience.”
He also expressed solidarity with the people of Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJK), adding their courage and struggle for justice and their right to self-determination remained close to their hearts.
He further reiterated that Pakistan would continue to extend its unwavering diplomatic, moral, and political support until their right to self-determination is realized.
Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar
“On our 79th Independence Day, I extend my heartfelt felicitations to the nation. I pay tribute to the immortal sacrifices made by our forebears, affirming that Pakistan was born out of their indomitable spirit and devotion to truth. I reaffirm that our nation cannot be defeated as long as we stand united,” Dar said.
“I call on every fellow citizen to remain united, protect democratic values, and collectively contribute to building a strong, dignified, and prosperous Pakistan — for today and times to come,” he added.
He lauded the “resolve of our Armed Forces and our people who stood together to safeguard our sovereignty,” saying it reflected “formidable military readiness” and “a principled foreign policy that has earned widespread international support.”
“As we celebrate our independence day and Marka-e-Haq, we are reminded that freedom is preserved not only by defending our borders but also by upholding the principles of truth, justice, and dignity in our international engagements,” he added.
Military leadership
In a joint message, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, General Sahir Shamshad Mirza, Admiral Naveed Ashraf, and Air Chief Marshal Zaheer Ahmad Babar Sidhu extended “heartfelt felicitations… on the auspicious occasion of Pakistan’s 78th Independence Day—marking the triumph of unity, resilience, and an unwavering commitment to a shared vision for a brighter future.”
They reaffirmed “unwavering resolve to safeguard Pakistan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, uphold the Constitution, and protect the values that define our national identity,” paying “solemn tribute to the visionaries, statesmen, and soldiers who laid our nation’s foundations.”
“The unbreakable bond between the Armed Forces and the people is the cornerstone of our collective strength,” the message said, urging all to “renew our resolve to strive for peace, progress, and unity, upholding the ideals of Faith, Unity, and Discipline.”
Entertainment
Jessie J makes heartbreaking announcement amid health issues

Jessie J left her fans disappointed on Thursday as she postponed two legs of her upcoming tour while canceling another portion amid her ongoing battle with cancer.
In a statement to People magazine on August 28, the 37-year-old singer announced that she has had to cancel her US tour dates and postpone her UK concerts to focus on her health.
“Unfortunately I have to have a second surgery — nothing too serious but it has to be done by the end of this year,” said Jessie.
“This falls in the middle of the tour I had booked. I’m so sorry, I feel frustrated and sad, but I need to be better, I need to be healed,” she added.
For those unversed, the Bang Bang hitmaker’s UK and European shows were initially scheduled for October 2025. Now, the shows have been moved to April 2026.
This cancellation comes three months after Jessie revealed that she had breast cancer.
The Nobody’s Perfect songstress later took to her Instagram account to further discuss her decision to cancel her upcoming shows.
“As some of you may know I just had breast cancer surgery eight weeks ago, that’s the first thing,” she said in a clip. “The second thing is unfortunately I have to have a second surgery.”
“Nothing too serious but it has to be done by the end of the year and unfortunately that falls right in the middle of a tour I had booked,” Jessie assured.
“I’m so sorry, I feel frustrated and sad. But also it is what it is. I need to be better, I need to be healed and this is the right decision to make so I am postponing the tour until next year,” added the singer.
Entertainment
YouTube and Fox end row, strike deal to keep channels on air

Alphabet-owned YouTube and Fox said on Thursday they have reached an agreement that will keep Fox News, Fox Sports and other Fox channels available to YouTube TV subscribers.
The companies did not disclose the financial terms of the agreement.
Earlier this week YouTube had been in negotiations with Fox, with the media company asking for payments above those received by partners providing comparable content.
On Wednesday, YouTube said it reached a short-term agreement with Fox that would buy time for the parties to reach a new distribution deal.
In February, YouTube TV reached a deal with media giant Paramount Global to keep channels like CBS, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon available, after failed negotiations for a new contract had briefly left the future of the streaming partnership in limbo.
The carriage dispute caught the attention of Federal Communications Commission Chairman Brendan Carr, who said that the company removing Fox channels from YouTube TV would be “a terrible outcome”.
“Millions of Americans are relying on YouTube to resolve this dispute so they can keep watching the news and sports they want — including this week’s Big Game: Texas @ Ohio State,” Carr wrote on Tuesday on the social media platform X. “Get a deal done Google!”
Entertainment
Why did famous director decline to make ‘Terminator 3’?

Jonathan Mostow served as the director of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, but before him, Ridley Scott was supposedly offered to helm.
According to the director’s claim, the studio put a hefty $20 million on the table for him to direct it, which was equivalent to Arnold Schwarzenger’s fees at the time, who was one of the highest-paid actors.
However, the Alien filmmaker, in a recent interview with The Guardian, stated that he declined the offer.
“I can’t be bought,” he said, admitting to being surprised the studio offered him the fee, which he asked was what the franchise’s lead star was getting. “I thought: ‘**** me.’ But I couldn’t do it. It’s not my thing.”

However, passing down on the offer also had to do with his filming style, which he described by giving an example of a James Bond movie.
“The essence of a Bond movie is fun and camp. Terminator is pure comic strip,” he said. “I would try to make it real,” he shared.
“That’s why they’ve never asked me to do a Bond movie, because I would **** it up,” the director said.
Ridley, at the end, confirmed that he is working on a third film in the Gladiator series.
-
Business1 week ago
RSS Feed Generator, Create RSS feeds from URL
-
Tech1 week ago
Korea develops core radar components for stealth technology
-
Fashion1 week ago
Tariff pressure casts shadow on Gujarat’s textile landscape
-
Fashion1 week ago
Rent the Runway to swap debt for equity in revival effort
-
Fashion1 week ago
US retailers split on holiday prospects amid consumer caution
-
Tech1 week ago
Qi2’s Magnetic Wireless Charging Finally Arrives on Android
-
Sports1 week ago
Dan Quinn says Terry McLaurin is healthy, ‘closer’ to Commanders return
-
Tech2 days ago
Review: Google Pixel 10 Series