Entertainment
Actor James Ransone, known for his roles in “The Wire” and “It: Chapter Two,” dies at 46
James Ransone, the actor who played Ziggy Sobotka in the HBO series “The Wire” and appeared in many other TV shows and movies, has died. He was 46.
The Los Angeles County Medical Examiner’s office said in online records that Ransone died by suicide on Friday.
Ransone’s film credits include “It: Chapter Two,” “The Black Phone” and “Black Phone 2,” and he appeared in TV shows including the cop drama “Bosch” and “Poker Face.”
CBS News reached out to representatives of Ransone on Sunday, as well as to a spokesperson for the medical examiner’s office, for comment.
Emma McIntyre/FilmMagic
Ransone, a Maryland native, told Interview Magazine in 2016 that he had realized he was a full-blown actor while shooting “Generation Kill,” a 2008 HBO mini-series also starring Alexander Skarsgård and Jon Huertas. He also spoke about struggling with addiction for several years before he sobered up ahead of filming the series.
According to the interview, Ransone’s passion for performing arts was cultivated when he was a teenager in Baltimore.
“Baltimore breeds a really specific type of weirdo,” he told Interview Magazine. “Animal Collective is from Baltimore. Dan Deacon, John Waters. There’s a through line of weirdness and a hard edge that I see when I meet people from that area.”
Ransone is survived by his wife and their two children.
If you or someone you know is in emotional distress or a suicidal crisis, you can reach the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline by calling or texting 988. You can also chat with the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline here.
For more information about mental health care resources and support, The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) HelpLine can be reached Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.–10 p.m. ET, at 1-800-950-NAMI (6264).
Entertainment
Shania Twain wants to sing at Harry Styles, Zoe Kravitz wedding
Shania Twain has made her pitch to perform at Harry Styles and Zoë Kravitz’s wedding, and she’s not being subtle about it.
The 60-year-old country legend, who is currently opening for Styles on the first leg of his world tour, made the declaration during an appearance on SiriusXM’s The Pulse on Friday.
When host Joe “Brady” Blum floated the idea of Twain performing at the celebrity nuptials, she didn’t hesitate. “Oh! I would say yes if he asked,” she replied. “Just putting it out there, Harry.”
Twain is well placed to make the case, she and Styles are currently sharing stages together for the opening 12 shows of his world tour, all being held in London.
She described the invitation to open for him as “really nice,” adding that it made sense for him to begin there.
When Brady expressed hope that the pair might perform Man! I Feel Like A Woman! together again, Twain sounded equally keen.
“I hope we do, too,” she said.
As for the wedding itself, she was playfully realistic about the logistics. When asked whether she could be the entertainment, she mused aloud: “What if they disagree on that?”
Brady suggested that Kravitz’s father Lenny Kravitz could also have a say in the musical lineup, which prompted Twain to propose a rather appealing solution. “Right, him and I could sing it together,” she said with a smile.
Styles and Kravitz, 37, have been one of the most talked-about couples in entertainment since their relationship became public.
Kravitz was spotted last month wearing an impressive diamond ring, widely taken as confirmation of their engagement following a whirlwind romance of around eight months.
The Batman actress was previously engaged to actor Channing Tatum before they split in October 2024, and was briefly married to actor Karl Glusman from 2019 to 2020.
Entertainment
Adam Driver replies to Lena Dunham’s shock memoir claims
Adam Driver has finally responded to the explosive allegations Lena Dunham made about him in her memoir, and he did it with exactly one sardonic sentence.
Speaking at a Cannes Film Festival press conference for his new film Paper Tiger on Sunday, the 42-year-old was asked about the claims Dunham made in Famesick, her recently published tell-all.
His reply was brief and dry: “I have no comment on that, I’m saving it all for my book.”
It was a masterclass in saying nothing while saying quite a lot.
The response came weeks after Dunham’s 416-page memoir landed with considerable force, containing a series of serious allegations about Driver’s behaviour on the set of Girls, the HBO series on which he played Hannah Horvath’s volatile on-off boyfriend Adam Sackler.
Dunham accused him of screaming at her in her trailer, hurling a chair at the wall beside her, and punching a hole in his own trailer wall.
She also claimed he ignored the agreed blocking during their first intimate scene, physically manhandling her in a way that left her shaken.
“Stunned, I couldn’t speak for a moment,” she wrote, describing the confusion and self-doubt that followed.
Dunham has been candid about why she didn’t confront him at the time.
Speaking to The Guardian in April, she said: “At that point in my 20s, I still thought that’s what great male geniuses do, eviscerate you. Which is weird, because I was raised by a male genius who would never do that.”
The memoir also ventured into more personal territory, with Dunham claiming she and Driver came close to having an affair a month before he got engaged to his wife Joanne Tucker in 2012.
She wrote that she pulled back when he arrived at her New York home, choosing not to cross a line she felt would make returning to work impossible.
Driver, she alleged, later acknowledged the moment to her, saying: “When my girl was away, I realised I’m no good alone. I need someone to keep me in line.”
The Cannes press conference where Driver made his comment was for Paper Tiger, James Gray’s crime drama in which he plays former police officer Gary Pearl.
Entertainment
Sindh govt to conduct random drug testing in schools: minister
- Parents carry biggest responsibility currently
- Rehabilitation centres facing serious operational challenges
- Media urged against glamorising narcotics issue
KARACHI: Senior Sindh Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon on Sunday said the provincial government would conduct rapid random drug testing in schools to tackle increasing narcotics use among children.
“Unfortunately, we have not taken narcotics seriously,” Memon said while speaking to the media in Karachi, adding that drug abuse had become a global issue and a major concern across Pakistan.
He said several rehabilitation centres were being developed, but termed the situation a “challenge” for the government. Referring to a recent incident in Karachi, Memon said a drug-addicted child had opened fire on family members.
“When these people become zombies due to narcotics, they go beyond anyone’s control,” he said.
The senior minister said many people had turned narcotics into a profitable business and stressed that dismantling the network was the government’s responsibility.
“I do not want to name anyone, but this is an entire network,” he said, adding that naming individuals would only result in social media memes.
Memon also referred to a suspect identified as Anmol alias Pinky, calling her a woman involved in selling “poison” that was costing precious lives daily.
He urged the media not to glamorise the issue and said parents currently carry the biggest responsibility in protecting children from drug abuse.
“I am not talking about one government alone, but the entire country,” Memon added.
-
Entertainment5 days agoConan O’Brien hat tricks as Oscar host
-
Tech1 week agoCould Contact-Tracing Apps Help With the Hantavirus? Not Really
-
Tech1 week agoI Tried the Best Captioning Smart Glasses, and Only One Leads the Pack
-
Fashion4 days agoItaly’s Zegna Group’s Q1 growth boosted by strong organic performance
-
Sports1 week agoBobby Cox, legendary Atlanta Braves manager who led 1995 World Series champions, dead at 84
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartin Short: Facing tragedy with joy
-
Entertainment7 days agoTom Brady gets back at Kevin Hart during Netflix roast
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartha Stewart: How to make an omelet
