Entertainment
Bangladesh’s first female prime minister, Khaleda Zia, dies at 80
Khaleda Zia, who made history as Bangladesh’s first female prime minister and shaped the country’s politics for decades, died on Tuesday after a long illness, her party said.
Zia, aged 80, had advanced cirrhosis of the liver, arthritis, diabetes, chest and heart problems, her doctors said.
A post on the party’s Facebook read: “BNP chairperson and former prime minister Begum Khaleda Zia passed away today at 6am just after Fajr (dawn prayer) […] We seek forgiveness of his soul and pray for his departed soul from everyone.”
Despite years of ill health and imprisonment, Zia vowed in November to campaign in elections set for February 2026 — the first vote since a mass uprising toppled her arch-rival Sheikh Hasina last year.
Zia’s BNP is widely seen as a frontrunner.
But in late November she was rushed to hospital, where, despite the best efforts of medics, her condition declined from a raft of health issues.
During her final days, interim leader Muhammad Yunus called for the nation to pray for Zia, calling her a “source of utmost inspiration for the nation”.
BNP’s media chief Moudud Alamgir Pavel also confirmed Zia’s death to AFP.
Zia was jailed for corruption in 2018 under Hasina’s government, which also blocked her from travelling abroad for medical treatment.
She was released last year, shortly after Hasina was forced from power.
There had been plans earlier this month to fly her on a special air ambulance to London, but her condition was not stable enough.
Her son, political heavyweight Tarique Rahman, only returned to Bangladesh after 17 years in self-imposed exile on Thursday, where he was welcomed back by huge crowds of joyous supporters.
Rahman will lead the party through the February 12 general election, and is expected to be put forward as prime minister if his party wins a majority.
Entertainment
From the archives: Robert Duvall
Entertainment
Andrew hit by devastating blow at new hideout amid Surrey police action
The late Queen’s once beloved son, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, has suffered a fresh blow as his new home is plagued by issues amid reports of latest development in Epstein case.
The former Duke of York, who recently left the Royal Lodge, has been dealt yet another blow ahead of his 66th birthday which falls on 20 February.
The former prince is currently living in Wood Farm whilst renovations to his permanent home are complete.
New photos of Marsh Farm show that the disgraced royal is going to face a potholes problem.
The area is on a flood plain and residents have been advised to sign up for flood alerts in case local measures fail to alleviate the risks.
A flood risk assessment from last year for Wolferton Barns, which is just metres from Marsh Farm, stated: “The Environment Agency operates a flood warning system to enable householders to protect life or act to manage the effect of flooding on property.
“Failure of Wolferton Pumping Station may occur due to long-term mechanical breakdown or power supply being disrupted. If conditions put properties and land at risk of flooding, emergency action would be taken using temporary pumping equipment.”
Surrey Police’s appeal
It emerges amid reports that Surrey Police are appealing for witnesses following the release of US Department of Justice files relating to the late convicted financier Epstein.
“We take all reports of child and sexual abuse seriously and therefore, as with any other matter, should new and relevant information be brought to our attention, including any information resulting from the release of materials in the US, we will assess it,” a spokesperson for Surrey Police stated.
Andrew’s accuser Virginia Giuffre’s lawyer calls on US
David Boies, Virginia Giuffre’s lawyer, argued that Andrew has a duty to disclose any knowledge about the convicted paedophile financier.
“He’s got an obligation to tell what he knows,” Boies stated.
“Now, I also think that if he’s afraid of being arrested in the United States, we ought to give him safe passage to come to the country to testify.”
He added: “Because we don’t want there to be any excuse for him not coming and telling what he knows.”
Entertainment
Nancy Guthrie case gets major update
Authorities investigating the abduction of Today show co-host Savannah Guthrie’s mother, Nancy Guthrie, believe the suspect deliberately targeted the 84-year-old.
Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos told NBC’s Today that the case has been difficult, but his team is focused.
“I think this was an individual who had a target for whatever reason, and he has made it tough, but I’ve got some pretty tough investigators too.”
Investigators are prioritizing DNA evidence recovered inside Nancy’s Tucson home.
While a glove found two miles away yielded no matches in the national database, Nanos said the DNA from the residence could be more critical, “We believe we may have some DNA there that may be our suspect, but we won’t know that until that DNA is separated, sorted out.”
Surveillance footage released earlier this month shows a masked man with a gun and gloves on Nancy’s porch in the early hours of February 1.
The FBI described the suspect as a male, approximately 5’9” to 5’10” tall, of average build, carrying a black 25 liter Ozark Trail backpack.
Nanos acknowledged speculation that the suspect may have been wearing a ring under his glove, saying his team is reviewing the detail.
The case has drawn national attention due to Savannah Guthrie’s connection, with viewers and colleagues showing support.
On Wednesday’s broadcast, Today anchors wore yellow ribbons in solidarity, echoing displays of yellow flowers in Tucson.
The FBI is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to Nancy Guthrie’s recovery or an arrest.
-
Business1 week agoAye Finance IPO Day 2: GMP Remains Zero; Apply Or Not? Check Price, GMP, Financials, Recommendations
-
Fashion1 week agoComment: Tariffs, capacity and timing reshape sourcing decisions
-
Business1 week agoGold price today: How much 18K, 22K and 24K gold costs in Delhi, Mumbai & more – Check rates for your city – The Times of India
-
Business6 days agoTop stocks to buy today: Stock recommendations for February 13, 2026 – check list – The Times of India
-
Fashion7 days agoIndia’s PDS Q3 revenue up 2% as margins remain under pressure
-
Tech1 week agoRemoving barriers to tech careers
-
Fashion1 week agoSaint Laurent retains top spot as hottest brand in Q4 2025 Lyst Index
-
Entertainment1 week ago‘Harry Potter’ star David Thewlis doesn’t want you to ask him THIS question
