Sports
Blue Jays thrash Dodgers 11-4 to win World Series opener | The Express Tribune
Toronto Blue Jays’ Addison Barger hits a grand slam home run against the Los Angeles Dodgers during the sixth inning in game one of the 2025 World Series at Rogers Center on October 24, 2025 in Toronto, Ontario. PHOTO: AFP
TORONTO:
Addison Barger blasted a towering grand slam as the Toronto Blue Jays thrashed the defending champion Los Angeles Dodgers 11-4 to take a 1-0 lead in Major League Baseball’s World Series on Friday.
Barger’s 413-foot blast to center field at Toronto’s Rogers Centre was the highlight of a spectacular nine-run sixth inning by the Blue Jays, playing in their first World Series in 32 years.
“It was just like a blackout moment, just crazy,” an elated Barger said of his grand slam after the win.
“We have such a tight energetic group, and we’re having fun out there. We’re not taking it too serious. We understand we’re playing the Dodgers – but we’re trying to keep everything the same and just go out and compete,” Barger added.
The win gives Toronto a precious early lead in the best-of-seven series, and they will look to double their advantage with victory in game two in Toronto on Saturday.
The Dodgers, bidding to become the first team in a quarter of a century to win back-to-back World Series, had made a smooth start, with Enrique Hernandez and Will Smith driving in early runs off Blue Jays starter Trey Yesavage to open up a 2-0 lead.
But the star-studded champions — the most expensively assembled team in baseball — were unable to build on their early lead despite getting the better of Yesavage.
Instead it was Toronto — who have now won 50 games this season after trailing — who wrestled their way back into contention with Dodgers pitcher Blake Snell unable to produce his most dominant form from the mound.
Toronto drew level in the fourth inning after catcher Alejandro Kirk singled into right field to get on base, and when Daulton Varsho crushed a 423-foot shot to center-field, the game was tied.
Toronto’s deep and disciplined batting line-up continued to cause problems for Snell, who was knocked out of the game in the sixth inning after loading the bases with no outs. Snell gave up eights hits across five innings with five earned runs.
‘We need to be better’
The Blue Jays then ruthlessly pounced on Dodgers reliever Emmet Sheehan to pull clear, with a single from Ernie Clement scoring Bo Bichette to give Toronto a 3-2 lead.
Nathan Lukes then drew a bases-loaded walk to give the Blue Jays a 4-2 lead with no outs before Andres Gimenez singled to make it 5-2.
Dodgers manager Dave Roberts replaced Sheehan with reliever Anthony Banda, but the Blue Jays continued to pile on.
Barger’s grand slam made it 9-2 and then Kirk tacked on a two-run homer to put the Blue Jays 11-2 up as a sold-out Rogers Centre crowd erupted in delight.
The Dodgers’ Japanese superstar Shohei Ohtani scored a two-run home run in the top of the seventh inning to cut the Blue Jays’ lead to 11-4 but it never looked like being anything other than a consolation shot before Toronto closed out the win.
Dodgers skipper Roberts meanwhile denied that his team had been blunted by a week-long layoff following their National League Championship Series sweep of Milwaukee.
“Honestly, I really don’t think the week layoff had anything to do with tonight, I really don’t,” Roberts said.
“We were rested. I thought we were in a good spot. We had a 2-0 lead and then Varsho hits a homer and we didn’t pitch well after that. So I really honestly don’t think that had anything to do with it.”
Roberts instead blamed his team’s inability to score early on, when they left several runners stranded on base as Yesavage struggled.
“At times, I think that the offense looks great as far as building innings, but there’s some key at-bats that you got to win pitches and use the other side of the field, get a hit, take a walk, whatever it might be,” Roberts said.
“But I think that we can be better, we need to be better.”
After Saturday’s game two, the series will head to Los Angeles for games three, four and five on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
Games six and seven, if needed will take place in Toronto.
Sports
Who could be the 2026 World Cup’s breakout star?
LONDON: World Cups are where rising stars of football quickly transform into global icons.
AFP Sport looks at five of the contenders to become the game’s next superstar at this year’s finals in the United States, Mexico and Canada:
Nico Paz (Argentina)
The son of former Argentine international Pablo Paz has opted to play for the world champions despite being born and raised in Spain.

A rising star in the Real Madrid academy, Paz has flourished in two years working under Cesc Fabregas since a move to Como in Italy.
Madrid are reportedly set to exercise their buyback option on the 21-year-old.
His technical ability and eye for goal from range has alerted Europe’s other top clubs.
Paz could have the daunting task of filling in for Lionel Messi with Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni expected to manage the 38-year-old’s minutes during the champions’ title defence.
Desire Doue (France)
Doue has already lit up the biggest stage in club football, winning the man-of-the-match award and scoring twice in Paris Saint-Germain’s Champions League final thrashing of Inter Milan last year.

But this will be the 20-year-old’s first taste of a major international tournament.
Doue has a battle just to ensure he starts for Les Bleus among a dazzling display of attacking talent that includes Kylian Mbappe, Ballon d’Or winner Ousmane Dembele and Bayern Munich’s Michael Olise.
But Doue gave Didier Deschamps a timely reminder of his quality with his first two international goals in a 3-1 friendly win over Colombia in France’s last outing in March.
Nico O’Reilly (England)
O’Reilly, 21, has already earned the trust of Pep Guardiola to become a regular for Manchester City.

Scorer of two goals from left-back in City’s League Cup final win over Arsenal in March, O’Reilly began his career as a goalscoring midfielder.
Guardiola has harnessed his blend of height, speed and skill as an attacking weapon from deep and may have solved a problem position for England coach Thomas Tuchel in the process.
England reached the final of Euro 2024 without a natural left-back for the majority of the tournament due to Luke Shaw’s lack of fitness.
“What a player,” said Guardiola. “He has made an incredible step up and he has had a lot of minutes, but he deserves it.”
Endrick (Brazil)
A teenage prodigy who made his Palmeiras debut at 16 and was snapped up by Real Madrid before his18th birthday, Endrick’s hopes of shining at the World Cup have been rekindled by a successful loan move at French club Lyon.

Endrick burst onto the international scene by scoring the winner against England at Wembley two years ago and becoming Brazil’s youngest goalscorer since Ronaldo in the process.
Relegated behind international team-mate Vinicius Junior and Mbappe after his big move to Madrid two years ago, the 19-year-old has found his scoring touch since his switch to France in January.
Often compared to another Brazilian great Romario for his squat but powerful physique, Endrick will be hoping to recreate the former’s success in scoring five goals as Brazil won the World Cup on US soil in 1994.
Pedri (Spain)
Spain’s latest passing metronome, Pedri has proven to be a fitting heir to Xavi Hernandez for both club and country.

After first rising to prominence as an 18-year-old at Euro 2020, Pedri was key to Spain’s run to conquering Europe two years ago in Germany, but injury prevented him from featuring in the semi-finals and final.
For Barcelona he has put his fitness troubles behind him under Hansi Flick, playing a starring role in back-to-back La Liga title triumphs over the past two seasons.
Sports
Pakistan squash stars set for Asian Junior Championships | The Express Tribune
Pakistan’s young squash players are all set to showcase their talent at the 33rd Asian Junior Individual Squash Championships 2026, scheduled to be held from May 20 to 24 in Panzhihua, China.
According to Pakistan Squash Federation, the national contingent, led by Director Academies Group Captain (R) Irfan Asghar and Head Coach Fahim Gul, will compete against top emerging players from across Asia in the prestigious junior event.
Pakistan’s squad comprises five boys and two girls competing in different age categories.
In the boys’ events, Abdullah Nawaz will participate in the Under-19 category, Nouman Khan in Under-17, Ahmed Rayyan Khalil and Sohail Adnan in Under-15, while Mustafa Khan will feature in the Under-13 category.
In the girls’ competitions, Sehrish Ali and Mahnoor Ali will represent Pakistan in the Under-15 category.
The championship is regarded as one of Asia’s premier junior squash events and provides a major platform for young players to gain international exposure and improve continental rankings.
Pakistan squash officials expressed confidence that the young players would deliver strong performances and continue the country’s rich legacy in the sport.
Sports
Bangladesh extend lead to 249 against Pakistan in second Test
- Khurram Shahzad dismisses Bangladesh captain Shanto.
- Hosts lose only one wicket during morning session.
- Bangladesh continue to frustrate Pakistan bowlers.
SYLHET: Bangladesh reached 203-4 at lunch on day three of the second Test against Pakistan, extending their overall lead to 249 runs to remain firmly in control at the Sylhet International Cricket Stadium on Monday.
Resuming their innings at 110-3 in 26.4 overs, Bangladesh lost just one wicket during the opening session and reached 203-4 in 53 overs, taking a commanding lead of 249 runs.
The Tigers lost skipper Najmul Hossain Shanto after pacer Khurram Shahzad trapped him lbw to claim his third wicket. Shanto scored 15 off 46 deliveries, including one boundary.
Mushfiqur Rahim and Litton Das then combined sensibly to stabilise the innings with a 50-run partnership, helping the team’s total surpass the 150-run mark.
The duo continued to build steadily, aiming to add crucial runs and push the total beyond 200 to further pressure the opposition. By the end of the opening session, Das remained unbeaten on 48 off 66 deliveries, while Rahim was not out on 39.
On day two of the final Test, Bangladesh got off to a poor start by losing the wicket of Tanzid Hasan on the third delivery of the fourth over and scored four off seven deliveries after hitting a boundary.
After the early setback, Joy and Haque stabilised the innings by scoring crucial runs from the start notching up 50-run stand and helping the team’s total past the 50-run mark as well.
Mahmudul Hasan was in dominant form with the bat as he brought up his sixth Test fifty, reaching the milestone off 58 deliveries, as he led his side’s charge towards a strong total against Pakistan.
However, the 76-run stand was broken after Mohammad Abbas struck and dismissed Mahmudul after contributing 52 off 64 deliveries after hitting 10 fours.
Shanto and Haque kept the score board ticking which helped them take the team’s total past the 100-run mark and extend the lead to over 150 runs.
But it was Khurram Shahzad with the ball who claimed his second wicket, dismissing Mominul Haque for 30 off 60 deliveries, an innings that included three boundaries.
In the first innings, Pakistan were bowled out for 232 in 57.4 overs, handing the hosts a 46-run lead courtesy of a dominant bowling performance by Bangladesh.
Babar Azam top-scored with a fighting 68 off 84 deliveries, hitting 10 fours before being dismissed by Nahid Rana, while Sajid Khan contributed valuable runs down the order, scoring 38 off 28 balls with two fours and four sixes.
Skipper Shan Masood and Salman Ali Agha chipped in with 21 runs each, while opener Azan Awais and Mohammad Rizwan added 13 runs apiece.
Pacer Nahid Rana and spinner Taijul Islam led the Bangladesh attack with three wickets each, while Taskin Ahmed and Mehidy Hasan Miraz claimed two wickets apiece.
Earlier, put into bat first, Bangladesh were bowled out for 278 despite slipping to 116/6 shortly after lunch, largely due to a composed and commanding innings from Litton Das, who held the innings together and guided the lower order.
The right-handed batter top-scored with a magnificent 126 off 159 deliveries, decorated with 16 fours and two sixes.
Skipper Najmul Hossain Shanto contributed 29 off 74 deliveries, including three fours, while Tanzid Hasan made 26 off 34 balls, striking three boundaries. Mominul Haque scored 22 off 41 deliveries with three fours, and Mushfiqur Rahim added 23 off 64 balls, including two boundaries.
Litton Das received strong support from the lower order, with Taijul Islam (16) and Shoriful Islam (12 not out), as he shared crucial partnerships of over 60 runs with both.
For Pakistan, Khurram Shahzad was the standout bowler, finishing with four wickets for 81 runs in 17 overs. Mohammad Abbas took three wickets, while Hasan Ali claimed two. Spinner Sajid Khan also chipped in with a wicket.
-
Entertainment6 days agoConan O’Brien hat tricks as Oscar host
-
Tech1 week agoCould Contact-Tracing Apps Help With the Hantavirus? Not Really
-
Fashion5 days agoItaly’s Zegna Group’s Q1 growth boosted by strong organic performance
-
Sports1 week agoBobby Cox, legendary Atlanta Braves manager who led 1995 World Series champions, dead at 84
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartin Short: Facing tragedy with joy
-
Entertainment1 week agoTom Brady gets back at Kevin Hart during Netflix roast
-
Sports1 week agoJacob Fatu unleashes vicious assault on Roman Reigns after World Heavyweight Championship loss at WWE Backlash
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartha Stewart: How to make an omelet
