Connect with us

Entertainment

Bondi shooting families demand national probe into Australia’s ‘rise in antisemitism’

Published

on

Bondi shooting families demand national probe into Australia’s ‘rise in antisemitism’


The Sydney Opera House is illuminated with candlelights in Sydney on Dec 21, 2025, as part of a national day of reflection honouring the victims of the Bondi Beach terrorist attack. — AFP
  • Albanese backs NSW-led commission, resists federal probe.
  • Minister warns national inquiry could amplify worst voices.
  • Families call federal response not nearly enough.

SYDNEY: Families of victims killed in the Bondi Beach mass shooting called Monday for an independent national inquiry into antisemitism in Australia and alleged failures in policing, intelligence and policy, they say, enabled the attack.

Father and son Sajid and Naveed Akram are accused of targeting a Hanukkah event on Sydney’s Bondi Beach on December 14, killing 15 people and wounding dozens in what authorities have described as an antisemitic terrorist attack.

Seventeen families, in an open letter to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, urged him to “immediately establish a Commonwealth Royal Commission into the rapid rise of antisemitism in Australia” and examine “law enforcement, intelligence, and policy failures that led to the Bondi Beach massacre”.

“We demand answers and solutions,” the families wrote.

“We need to know why clear warning signs were ignored, how antisemitic hatred and extremism were allowed to dangerously grow unchecked, and what changes must be made to protect all Australians going forward.”

Albanese has resisted calls for a federal inquiry, citing a need for urgent action rather than waiting “years for answers”.

“We need to get on with any changes that are required,” he told reporters Monday.

“I have nothing except sympathy for those families. My job, as prime minister, is to look at how we build unity, how we build social cohesion, how we do what the nation needs at what is a very difficult time.”

Albanese said last week that a New South Wales-led royal commission — where the shooting occurred — would suffice and promised full support.

Canberra has flagged a suite of reforms to gun ownership and hate speech laws, as well as an inquiry into police and intelligence services.

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke warned Monday that a national royal commission could give “some of the worst statements and worst voices” a platform to relive “the worst examples of antisemitism over the last two years”, which he said was not in the interest of unity or national security.

But the families of those killed at Bondi Beach said the federal government’s response is “not nearly enough”.

“We have lost parents, spouses, children, and grandparents. Our loved ones were celebrating Chanukah at Bondi Beach, a festival of light and joy, in an iconic public space that should have been safe,” the letter said.

“You owe us answers. You owe us accountability. And you owe Australians the truth.”

The families said the rise of antisemitism was a “national crisis”, adding the “threat was not going away”.

“We need strong action now. We need leadership now. You cannot bring back our loved ones. But with a well-led Commonwealth Royal Commission and strong action, you may be able to save many more.”

One of the gunmen, Sajid Akram, 50, was shot and killed by police during the attack. An Indian national, he entered Australia on a visa in 1998.

His 24-year-old son Naveed, an Australian-born citizen, remains in custody facing multiple charges, including terrorism and 15 murders, as well as committing a “terrorist act” and planting a bomb with intent to harm.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Robert Duvall, known for his roles in "The Godfather" and "Apocalypse Now," dies at 95

Published

on

Robert Duvall, known for his roles in "The Godfather" and "Apocalypse Now," dies at 95



Oscar-winning actor Robert Duvall died on Sunday at the age of 95. Duvall starred in classics like “The Godfather” and “Apocalypse Now.” Vladimir Duthiers looks back at his career.



Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

5 surprising facts about Mardi Gras you may not know

Published

on

5 surprising facts about Mardi Gras you may not know


5 surprising facts about Mardi Gras you may not know

Streets are about to turn purple, green, and gold as communities celebrate Mardi Gras.

The celebration dates back centuries, preceding the Christian season of Lent.

Commonly known as “Fat Tuesday,” Mardi Gras is celebrated the day before Ash Wednesday, representing the start of Lent, 40 days of fasting and reflection leading up to Easter.

The tradition linked to European Christians serves as a final opportunity to enjoy rich foods before the more solemn season starts.

Here are some surprising facts about Mardi Gras that you may not know.

It’s a legal holiday in Louisiana

Mardi Gras is officially celebrated across the United States. However, the government of Louisiana declares it an official holiday. Considering how deeply the festival is woven into the state’s culture, the government offices and schools remain closed.

Mardi Gras colors have meaning

The official colors (purple, green, and gold) are not chosen randomly. In 1872, the Krewe of Rex in New Orleans assigned meaning to them. Purple represents justice, green indicates faith while gold is the symbol of power.

Mask wearing is required by law

Legal bodies in New Orleans have mandated float riders to wear masks. The rule dates back to the 19th century and was designed to encourage anonymity and social equality during the festivities.

UNESCO Belgium recognises it formally

The Carnival of Binche in Binche holds so much significance culturally that it was recognised by UNESCO as part of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. Performers known as Gilles throw oranges into crowds as part of the celebration.

Largest free party in the U.S.

Mardi Gras is also known as the largest free party in the United States, attracting over a million visitors in peak years.

From medieval Europe to modern-day America, the celebration continues to blend faith, culture, and community. Mardi Gras is set to conclude at midnight. 





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jackie Chan left baffled when asked about the ‘Kardashians’

Published

on

Jackie Chan left baffled when asked about the ‘Kardashians’


Jackie Chan gives unexpected response when asked about Kardashian family

Jackie Chan is clueless about the Kardashians and fans are not surprised by the revelation at all.

A throwback video has resurfaced on the internet, where Jackie was asked to name his favourite Kardashian and he was completely confused.

The incident occurred in 2017, while he was promoting his film The Foreigner on Access Hollywood Live.

The host asked him, “Who is you favourite Kardashian”. Chan, who was totally perplexed, replied, “Kardashian? What do you mean, Kardashian?”

The Rush Hour actor even inquired “if the name was English”.

Fans are not surprised at all by Chan being clueless about the popular American media and business dynasty, led by Kris Jenner as they emphasized that both belong to “different worlds.”

“Jackie Chan has been making action classics for decades… Meanwhile the Kardashian family built a whole empire off reality TV. Two completely different worlds colliding”, wrote one.

Meanwhile, another one highlighted how big of a star Jackie himself is that even the Kardashians are his fan.

A social media user commented, “The truth that’s not everyone knows the kardashians and Jackie wasn’t a new school type of person He’s an icon from way back, even the Kardashians are his fans.”

Work wise, the 71-year-old Hong Kong based actor last featured in Karate Kid: Legends (2025). He is all set to return for a potential Rush Hour 4 movie.  





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending