Business
Centrica boss picks up £3.6m in bonuses and share awards despite profits plunge
British Gas owner Centrica has revealed its boss landed £3.6 million in bonuses and share awards last year despite seeing earnings nearly halve.
The power giant’s annual report revealed chief executive Chris O’Shea picked up a £1.4 million annual bonus and £2.2 million in long-term share awards for 2025, on top of his £1.04 million salary.
The payouts come in spite of full-year results also out on Thursday showing Centrica’s underlying earnings slumped to £814 million last year, down from £1.55 billion in 2024, as its household supply arm was knocked by an £80 million warm weather hit.
Earnings in its household energy supply business tumbled 39% to £163 million as warmer weather meant customers turned down their central heating thermostats, and as customers switched to cheaper fixed tariff deals.
Mr O’Shea’s total pay package stood at £4.73 million for 2025, down from £5.08 million in 2024, according to the report.
The hefty bonuses for Centrica’s top boss also come despite a shareholder rebellion at last year’s annual general meeting, when nearly 40% of shareholders voted against the board’s pay plans.
Mr O’Shea has courted controversy with his pay in recent years, having previously admitted there was “no point” trying to justify an £8.2 million package in 2023.
The latest report showed he will also see his pay increase by 3% to £1.13 million a year from April 1, adding that the wider 22,000-strong workforce will also have average pay rises of 3% to 4%.
His ratio of pay when compared with the average employee salary at Centrica stood at 71:1 last year.
In its latest annual report, Centrica said: “The committee believes that the adjustments to Chris O’Shea’s remuneration in 2025 aligned with competitive market rates given the size and complexity of Centrica.
“Chris’ performance and experience over the last five years since his appointment as the group chief executive warrants positioning his pay between the median and upper quartile of other CEOs in the FTSE 100.”
Shares in the firm fell 5% in Thursday afternoon trading, having dropped as much as 10% earlier in the day after revealing in full-year results that it was pausing share buybacks to prioritise an investment programme.
Mr O’Shea said: “The environment has been challenging, and performance has varied across the business.
“However, we have remained disciplined, delivering strong operational performance and achieving customer growth across all our retail businesses simultaneously for the first time in over a decade.”
He added: “Pausing the buyback enables us to prioritise investment that creates lasting value for shareholders, while continuing to deliver the reliable, affordable energy that households and businesses need to power economic growth through the transition.”
It saw UK and Ireland household customer numbers increase by 1% to 7.96 million over the year, with 7.5 million in the UK, though this was boosted by 91,000 after taking on the customer base of failed suppliers Rebel Energy and Tomato Energy last year.
The gains from the two collapsed suppliers “offset a small decrease in underlying customers”, it said.
British Gas was last year overtaken by rival Octopus Energy as the UK’s largest household energy supplier.
Cornwall Insight this week forecast a 7% reduction in Ofgem’s energy price cap when the next quarterly change is announced next Wednesday, with a predicted reduction of £117 to £1,641 a year for a typical dual fuel household from April 1.
This follows the announcement last November by Chancellor Rachel Reeves that £150 would be cut from the average household bill from April by scrapping the Energy Company Obligation scheme introduced by the Tories in government.
Business
NPS rules explained: Key changes that make it more than just a tax-saving instrument
New Delhi: The National Pension System (NPS) is no longer just a tax-saving instrument. Recent regulatory changes have reshaped it into a more flexible and retirement-focused investment option. The reforms aim to provide subscribers with greater withdrawal flexibility, extended investment tenure, and improved exit provisions.
Here are the 10 major changes explained simply:
1. Higher Lump-Sum Withdrawal at Retirement
Non-government subscribers can now withdraw up to 80 percent of their corpus as a lump sum, compared to the earlier 60 percent.
2. Lower Mandatory Annuity Requirement
The compulsory annuity purchase has been reduced from 40 percent to 20 percent, allowing investors more control over their retirement funds.
3. Full Withdrawal for Smaller Corpus
If the total accumulated pension wealth is Rs 8 lakh or less, subscribers can withdraw the entire amount without buying an annuity.
4. Flexible Option for Rs 8–12 Lakh Corpus
For savings between Rs 8 lakh and Rs 12 lakh, investors can withdraw up to Rs 6 lakh upfront and manage the remaining amount through annuity or systematic withdrawals.
5. Investment Till Age 85
Subscribers can now stay invested in NPS until 85 years of age, enabling longer compounding.
6. More Partial Withdrawals Before Retirement
The number of allowed pre-retirement withdrawals has increased from three to four, offering more flexibility during emergencies.
7. Post-60 Withdrawals Allowed
Partial withdrawals after turning 60 are permitted, provided there is a three-year gap between withdrawals.
8. Improved Exit Provisions
Clearer rules have been introduced for exit cases such as renunciation of Indian citizenship or death declarations.
9. Relief for Missing Subscribers
If a subscriber goes missing, nominees can claim 20 percent of the corpus immediately, with the remaining amount handled as per legal procedures.
10. Account-Centric Structure
The new framework shifts focus to individual pension accounts, making management and tracking more streamlined.
Business
US and Indonesia sign deal to cut tariffs to 19%
Washington will set a 19% tariff on most Indonesian goods in exchange for lower trade barriers for US goods
Source link
Business
Nasa boss says Boeing Starliner failure one of worst in its history
The agency released a critical report that puts the Starliner incident at same mistake level assigned to the fatal Columbia and Challenger shuttle disasters.
Source link
-
Business1 week agoGold price today: How much 18K, 22K and 24K gold costs in Delhi, Mumbai & more – Check rates for your city – The Times of India
-
Business1 week agoTop stocks to buy today: Stock recommendations for February 13, 2026 – check list – The Times of India
-
Fashion1 week agoIndia’s PDS Q3 revenue up 2% as margins remain under pressure
-
Politics1 week agoIndia clears proposal to buy French Rafale jets
-
Fashion1 week ago$10→ $12.10 FOB: The real price of zero-duty apparel
-
Tech1 week agoElon Musk’s X Appears to Be Violating US Sanctions by Selling Premium Accounts to Iranian Leaders
-
Fashion1 week agoWhen 1% tariffs move billions: Inside the US apparel market repricing
-
Tech3 days agoRakuten Mobile proposal selected for Jaxa space strategy | Computer Weekly
