Business
Walmart reports strong holiday growth, but earnings outlook falls short of estimates
Walmart said Thursday that holiday-quarter sales rose nearly 6% and its quarterly earnings and revenue surpassed Wall Street’s expectations as gains in e-commerce, advertising and its third-party marketplace boosted its business.
For the full current fiscal year, Walmart said it expects net sales to increase by 3.5% to 4.5% and adjusted earnings per share to range from $2.75 to $2.85. That earnings outlook fell short of Wall Street’s expectations of $2.96 per share, according to LSEG.
In an interview with CNBC, Chief Financial Officer John David Rainey said speedy deliveries from stores are helping Walmart attract more shoppers, particularly those with higher incomes.
“Our ability to serve customers at the scale that we have, combined with the speed that we now have, is really translating into continued market share gains,” he said.
Rainey said the company’s market share gains cut across all incomes, but were larger among upper-income households. For example, with fashion, a category that grew by a mid-single-digit percentage in the fourth quarter, almost all of that increase came from households with an annual income over $100,000, he said.
In the coming months, Rainey said he expects price increases from inflation and President Donald Trump‘s tariff hikes to ease. Inflation at Walmart in the U.S. in the fourth quarter was just above 1%, with slightly lower inflation for food and slightly higher for general merchandise, he said.
“It seems to be a little bit more of a normalized price environment,” he said. “I think we have, largely as a retail industry, absorbed or seen the brunt of the impact from tariffs.”
While that comment is welcome news to many U.S. shoppers who buy at the country’s largest grocer, it may be too early to say what pricing trends at the retailer mean for the rest of the economy. Though Walmart is viewed as a key barometer for the wider retail industry, it traditionally has had more power than its competitors to keep prices low in part because of its scale.
Here is what the big-box retailer reported for the fiscal fourth quarter compared with Wall Street’s estimates, according to a survey of analysts by LSEG:
- Earnings per share: 74 cents adjusted vs. 73 cents expected
- Revenue: $190.66 billion vs. $190.43 billion expected
Shares of Walmart were up about 2% in morning trading Thursday.
Yet as of Wednesday’s close, shares of the company have climbed about 22% over the past year and roughly 14% so far this year. That’s outpaced the S&P 500′s 12% gain over the past year and less than 1% rise year to date.
Walmart’s results Thursday also show an inflection point in the industry. For the first time, Amazon topped Walmart as the largest company by annual revenue, as the company posted $716.9 billion in sales for its most recent fiscal year compared with $713.2 billion for Walmart.
The companies aren’t an exact comparison, as Amazon gets a sizeable piece of its revenue from cloud computing and other tech services. Yet it underscores the competition between the two rivals, particularly as Walmart follows a similar playbook by growing revenue streams outside of brick-and-mortar retail, like from ads and its marketplace.
In the three-month period that ended Jan. 31, Walmart’s net income decreased to $4.24 billion, or 53 cents per share, compared with $5.25 billion, or 65 cents per share, in the year-ago period.
Excluding one-time items like investment gains and losses, legal settlements and business reorganization, Walmart’s adjusted earnings per share were 74 cents.
Revenue rose from $180.55 billion in the year-ago quarter.
Comparable sales jumped 4.6% for Walmart’s U.S. business and 4% for Sam’s Club in the fourth quarter, excluding fuel, compared with the year-ago period. The industry metric, also called same-store sales, includes sales from stores and clubs open for at least a year.
Walmart’s e-commerce sales in the U.S. rose 27% compared with the year-ago period, fueled by store-fulfilled pickup and delivery of online orders, along with the retailer’s third-party marketplace. That marked the company’s 15th straight quarter of double-digit digital gains. Global e-commerce sales increased 24% year over year.
For the company’s U.S. business, e-commerce accounted for 23% of sales – a record high for Walmart. The digital growth in the quarter included an approximately 50% gain in store-fulfilled deliveries and a roughly 41% increase in sales from Walmart Connect, its advertising business, the company said.
While Walmart is gaining ground, its growth is not evenly distributed across income groups.
In the interview with CNBC, Rainey said the company does “see some pressure on the lowest income cohort.” He said Walmart has tracked year-over-year spending trends by income group. Like in the prior quarter, he said it saw that spending among the highest earners compared to lower-income groups “had gapped out a little bit.”
The trend he described reflects what some economists have called the “K-shaped economy.”
Walmart’s quarterly report marked the first under its new CEO, John Furner. Furner, the former Walmart U.S. CEO and a more than three-decade company veteran, succeeded Doug McMillon as Walmart’s top executive on Feb. 1.
Investors largely expect Furner to focus on similar priorities as his predecessor McMillon, such as increasing Walmart’s online business, attracting more customers across incomes, and ramping up higher-margin businesses like its third-party marketplace and advertising.
Along with getting a new CEO, Walmart has hit other milestones lately. Its stock switched to the tech-heavy Nasdaq in December and its market value hit $1 trillion earlier this month.
Along with its results Thursday, Walmart also announced a new $30 billion share repurchase authorization, replacing a $20 billion buyback program approved in 2022.
Business
Two top Walmart executives leave company under new CEO John Furner
A Walmart store is seen on Feb. 3, 2026 in Austin, Texas.
Brandon Bell | Getty Images
Two top Walmart executives are departing the company, nearly four months after CEO John Furner took over, CNBC learned on Friday.
Tom Ward, the chief operating officer of Walmart’s warehouse Sam’s Club, is retiring, while Cedric Clark, Walmart’s executive vice president of U.S. store operations, is leaving the business, internal memos viewed by CNBC shows.
A replacement for Clark is expected to be announced in the “coming weeks,” the memo stated. It’s unclear when the company expects to fill Ward’s position.
The leadership shuffle comes after Furner took over as Walmart’s CEO in February. Alongside Furner’s promotion, the company elevated four new top executives to work alongside him earlier this year. Seth Dallaire was promoted to chief growth officer, overseeing the company’s marketplace and advertising businesses, David Guggina was elevated to CEO of Walmart U.S., Chris Nicholas became CEO of Walmart International and Latriece Watkins became CEO of Sam’s Club.
Furner took over the largest U.S. retailer during a period of sustained growth, fueled by gains with higher-income consumers and the expansion of its e-commerce business.
Walmart announced fiscal first-quarter earnings on Thursday, where it issued mixed results and said its business remained strong despite consumer pressures and high gas prices.
The leadership changes were first reported by the Wall Street Journal.
Business
British Airways raises price of Avios reward tickets
British Airways is putting up the price of reward tickets for customers using Avios, giving five days’ notice of the increases.
The cash element of tickets booked through its loyalty scheme will rise by up to 33 per cent from Wednesday 27 May.
For example, a ticket in Club World from London Heathrow to New York JFK, once requiring 176,000 Avios, will now also require £499 – an increase of roughly £100, or about 25 per cent.
In an email, the airline said the amount of Avios required for bookings will remain unchanged for now. “Thank you for your continued support and understanding,” it said.
Customers have until Wednesday to book at current prices.
Writing on his Head for Points frequent-flyer website, Rob Burgess said: “This is the second devaluation in just five months. The earlier changes led to a 10 per cent increase in the Avios element and 3-23 per cent increase in the cash element.
“This change only impacts the cash element and represents an additional 10-33 per cent
“These changes are very likely to be linked to the increase in fuel costs due to the Middle East crisis, although British Airways has better hedging in place than most carriers. With little sign of the oil situation improving, however, it is likely that fuel costs will remain high beyond the life of the hedges.”
Simon Calder, travel correspondent at The Independent, said: “When British Airways first unveiled ‘Air Miles’, flights were genuinely free – no one was expected to hand over cash.
“To see the cash element increased up to £500 will prove a deterrent for some. But many passengers, especially those who amass Avios on their company’s spend, remain transactionally loyal to BA.”
In April, IAG – which owns British Airways, Aer Lingus and Iberia of Spain – said it was increasing the price of ordinary cash tickets because of the impact of the conflict.
“We are not seeing jet fuel supply interruptions, but fuel prices have risen sharply and, despite our hedging strategy which gives some shorter term mitigation, we are not immune to the impact,” it said. “Like other carriers, IAG airlines are making some pricing adjustments to reflect these higher fuel costs.”
Read more: All the airlines cancelling flights as easyJet and Jet2 issue updates
Business
Disney’s ‘Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu’ tallies lowest Thursday preview sales in franchise history
Still from “Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu.”
“Star Wars” returns to the big screen for the first time in seven years this weekend, riding the contrails of a Mandalorian’s jetpack.
Disney’s “Star Wars: The Mandalorian and Grogu” tallied $12 million in Thursday night preview sales, the lowest collection of advanced tickets in the franchise’s history, according to data from Comscore. “Solo: A Star Wars Story” was the previous low bar with $14.1 million in preshow tickets back in 2018.
Box office analysts expect the film based on the hit Disney+ show “The Mandalorian” to generate around $80 million for its three-day opening weekend and around $95 million for the four-day Memorial Day holiday weekend. Some less conservative experts have estimated the three-day haul could be $95 million and the holiday weekend could draw $115 million.
That would be one of the smallest openings of a “Star Wars film in modern cinematic history. “Solo” captured $84.4 million during its opening eight years ago. Since 2015, only “Solo” has opened to less than $100 million domestically, Comscore data show.
“The Mandalorian and Grogu” will likely benefit from the popularity of the television show, the long Memorial Day weekend and limited competition from new titles, especially on premium large format screens.
It will also act as a stress test for future “Star Wars” theatrical releases amid a lackluster cinema run for “Star Wars” and Marvel, the tentpole franchises that helped Disney dominate the global box office in the 2010s. The studio has “Starfighter” arriving in cinemas in 2027 starring Ryan Gosling and directed by Shawn Levy.
New “Star Wars” titles have been absent from cinemas since 2019’s “The Rise of Skywalker.” The final film in the Skywalker Saga and third film in what has become known as the sequel trilogy generated more than $1 billion, but was widely panned by critics and fans. Disney and its Lucasfilm studio paused theatrical productions in favor of reestablishing the franchise on streaming service Disney+.
“The Mandalorian,” which premiered just a month before “The Rise of Skywalker,” was a runaway hit for the company and inspired a number of live-action Star Wars projects to get a series run instead of a theatrical one. These include “Andor,” “Obi-Wan Kenobi,” “Ahsoka,” “Skeleton Crew,” “The Acolyte” and “The Book of Boba Fett.”
Lucasfilm tapped director Jon Favreau, who worked alongside the newly minted head of the studio Dave Filoni to bring “The Mandalorian” to Disney+, to helm “The Mandalorian and Grogu.” The feature film had a slightly smaller budget than typical Star Wars films, with the cost of production estimated to be around $165 million. Other “Star Wars” projects released theatrically in the previous decade had production budgets of $250 million or higher, according to data from The Numbers.
This means that “The Mandalorian and Grogu” has a smaller profitability threshold than previous titles from the franchise. Of course, those production budgets do not include marketing spending.
For parent company Disney, it’s not just about the box office numbers. The film has a robust consumer products launch tied to its release.
The “Star Wars” franchise has consistently been a strong seller at retail even without a theatrical release. So having new products across a variety of categories and brands could be a big boon for the company — especially after the character Grogu, known as “Baby Yoda,” was a runaway hit with fans.
Notably, following the 2015 release of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” the first of Lucasfilm’s latest “Star Wars” trilogy, Hasbro alone saw sales of “Star Wars” products reach nearly $500 million.
Not to mention, Disney is already doing tie-ins at its theme park locations, including specialized merchandise and a revamp of its Smugglers Run ride featuring Grogu.
-
Entertainment6 days agoWhere Pete Davidson, Elsie Hewitt stand after breakup: Details revealed
-
Entertainment1 week agoEmilia Clarke recalls near-death incident while filming ‘Game of Thrones’
-
Business1 week agoJersey Election 2026: Cost of living concern in St Helier Central
-
Politics6 days agoRising diesel costs from Iran war strain US school budgets
-
Politics1 week agoUK’s Starmer faces survival battle as potential rivals circle
-
Politics1 week agoTrump says China will order 200 Boeing jets
-
Entertainment1 week agoDrake drops highly anticipated "Iceman" album, plus two surprise albums
-
Tech1 week agoGreg Brockman Officially Takes Control of OpenAI’s Products in Latest Shakeup
