Sports
Commanders activate WR McLaurin off PUP list

ASHBURN, Va. — The Washington Commanders have activated Terry McLaurin off the physically unable to perform list, the team announced Saturday.
The move is the next step in his progression and is unrelated to contract negotiations, coach Dan Quinn said.
“Definitely separate,” Quinn said. “This is about his getting ready.”
McLaurin is now eligible to practice, though the Commanders typically have players activated off PUP work with trainers on a separate field first.
Washington likes to run a lot of no-huddle and hurry-up on offense — it was the second-fastest offense in terms of time between snaps last season, according to ESPN Research — so it wants to give McLaurin three weeks of conditioning before the opener.
Quinn pointed out that PUP is focused on rehab; the Commanders can now focus on McLaurin’s return to the field. It’s doubtful that he would play in the third and final preseason game a week from today vs. Baltimore. The goal has been to get McLaurin ready for the Sept. 7 season opener vs. the New York Giants.
Quinn said that it was “important” to activate McLaurin and that this begins the process of getting him work in walk-throughs, then continuing to hit markers that suggest he’s ready for a full workload. McLaurin has been at the facility since July 27, rehabbing an ankle issue that has plagued him at various times in his career — including at the end of last season.
Quinn, when asked whether it was a mutual decision by both sides for McLaurin to come off PUP, said they were just following the guidelines.
“He’s on the same trajectory as everybody else, [receiving treatments] doing workouts and making good strides,” Quinn said.
McLaurin has served as a captain for most of his Washington tenure and remains highly respected in the locker room.
“I can’t say enough great things,” center Tyler Biadasz said. “Hopefully he comes back on the field and we get him back. We’re always excited for it.”
The Commanders placed McLaurin on the PUP list, citing an ankle injury that bothered him late in the season, when he reported to camp July 27 following a four-day holdout. McLaurin was fined $200,000 for missing that time. By reporting, he could no longer be fined.
If he were to sit out games, McLaurin would lose a game check for each week missed, including the bye week. McLaurin would forfeit $861,111 for each week missed. There’s not yet any indication McLaurin would sit out.
The two sides have been far apart in negotiations since they started discussing a deal earlier in the offseason, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. McLaurin had said in an interview a week before camp opened that he would not return to the field until there was “progression” in the talks.
McLaurin has one year remaining on a three-year, $68 million extension he signed in 2022. According to multiple reports and league sources, McLaurin has targeted the deal DK Metcalf received from the Pittsburgh Steelers — four years at $33 million per season with $60 million guaranteed.
Washington has not come close to that per year figure, sources said. Some in the league believe the Commanders could eventually get to $28 million per year.
McLaurin requested a trade July 31, but team sources have said over the past several months that they have no intention of trading him.
Though he was at the facility, McLaurin would only emerge after practice to sign autographs for fans. But he did watch from the sideline during the team’s burgundy-and-gold intrasquad scrimmage Tuesday, along with other injured players. Before that session, he spoke with general manager Adam Peters on the sideline.
McLaurin, coming off his second Pro Bowl appearance, was second in the NFL with a career-best 13 touchdown receptions — as well as 10 red zone scoring catches — in 2024. He has topped 1,000 yards for five consecutive seasons, although he has not yet surpassed 1,200 yards.
Last month, in a 30-minute interview with reporters, McLaurin expressed deep frustration with the lack of progress in their talks.
“I want to continue my career here. I’ve created my life here. My wife and I bought our first home here. So this has been somewhere I’ve always wanted to be. Just to see how things have played out has been disappointing,” he said. “I understand everything’s a business. But at the same time, I want to put myself in a position where I’m valued, I feel appreciated and things like that. Unfortunately, that hasn’t transpired the way I want it to.”
Sports
Cowboys trade Micah Parsons to Packers in NFL blockbuster
Read more
Source link
Sports
Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee wants to make sure Rick Barnes stays with the Volunteers as long as he wants to coach the men’s basketball team.
Athletic director Danny White announced Thursday that Barnes has signed essentially a lifetime contract with Tennessee.
“Rick has taken our program to unprecedented heights, and we are absolutely thrilled to have him continue coaching on Rocky Top for the rest of his career,” White said. “He has constructed this program the right way, achieving elite-level success on the court while also ensuring that all our players excel off the court.”
Barnes, who turned 71 in July, last signed an extension in September 2023 that took him through the 2027-28 season. The contract announced Thursday automatically extends Barnes’ deal for a year every April 15 starting in 2028.
Kansas gave men’s coach Bill Self a lifetime contract in 2021 and added to that in 2023. UConn women’s coach Geno Auriemma, now 71, got a five-year extension through 2029 in June 2024.
Barnes said it’s an honor and blessing to serve as Tennessee’s men’s basketball coach. He thanked university officials for their continued belief in the program.
“Tennessee basketball would not be where it is today without the consistent efforts of so many players, coaches and staff members whom I am forever indebted to,” Barnes said. “Their relentless dedication and the unrivaled support of Vol Nation are truly why we have been so successful.”
Barnes is 232-109 (66.4%) in 10 seasons with Tennessee, including 112-67 in Southeastern Conference play. He has won at least 25 games in six seasons with four Sweet 16s, four top-10 finishes, three SEC championships and two Elite Eight berths.
The Vols have made seven straight NCAA tournaments, the fourth-longest active streak in the country recognized by the NCAA. They also are one of two teams to reach the past three Sweet 16s and past two Elite Eights.
Tennessee has been ranked in the Associated Press’ Top 25 the past four years with 80 straight appearances, the second-longest active streak in the nation.
Barnes also currently is the active Division I leader with 836 wins over 38 seasons as a head coach.
Sports
Son Heung-Min nails 1st pitch at Dodger Stadium

Star LAFC recruit Son Heung-Min is settling into life in Los Angeles brilliantly.
After netting his debut goal for the club last Saturday — a stunning 30-yard free kick against FC Dallas no less — the South Korea captain capped a fine week by throwing the ceremonial first pitch at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday.
Ahead of the Dodgers hosting Cincinnati Reds, the former Premier League star stepped up to the plate and launched a finely arced right-handed strike, much to the delight of the fans at the stadium.
Son’s pitch comes just days after BTS star V also threw the ceremonial first pitch in LA. We’ll leave it up to you to decide which Korean superstars’ throw was best.
-
Business1 week ago
RSS Feed Generator, Create RSS feeds from URL
-
Tech1 week ago
Korea develops core radar components for stealth technology
-
Fashion1 week ago
Tariff pressure casts shadow on Gujarat’s textile landscape
-
Fashion1 week ago
Rent the Runway to swap debt for equity in revival effort
-
Fashion1 week ago
US retailers split on holiday prospects amid consumer caution
-
Tech1 week ago
Qi2’s Magnetic Wireless Charging Finally Arrives on Android
-
Sports1 week ago
Dan Quinn says Terry McLaurin is healthy, ‘closer’ to Commanders return
-
Tech2 days ago
Review: Google Pixel 10 Series