Connect with us

Entertainment

Conan O’Brien finally speaks up on Rob Reiner’s murder

Published

on

Conan O’Brien finally speaks up on Rob Reiner’s murder


Conan O’Brien finally speaks up on on Rob Reiner’s murder

Conan O’Brien has shared his deep sadness following the tragic deaths of his friends, director Rob Reiner and his wife, Michele. 

The couple were found dead in their home on 14 December, just one day after attending O’Brien’s annual Christmas party in Los Angeles.

Speaking to the New Yorker in a recently published interview, the comedian admitted he was still struggling to process the loss. 

“It’s just so awful,” O’Brien said, reflecting on Rob’s active role in the country and how much he put himself out there. 

He noted that having such a strong voice go quiet so suddenly is still hard for him to comprehend.

O’Brien and his wife had grown increasingly close to the couple in recent years. 

He described Rob and Michele as “lovely people” and recalled the chilling experience of saying goodnight to them at his party, only to learn they were gone the next day. 

The host shared that the shock of the news stayed with him for a long time afterward.

The tragedy took a darker turn when it was revealed that the couple had been stabbed to death. 

Their 32-year-old son, Nick, has since been arrested and charged with two counts of first-degree murder. 

Reports from the night of the party suggested that the family had argued during the event. 

Nick, an aspiring director who has a history of drug addiction and was being treated for schizophrenia, is currently facing a maximum sentence of life in prison or the death penalty.

The legal case has faced its own complications. 

Nick’s high-profile lawyer, Alan Jackson, unexpectedly dropped the case just before a scheduled court hearing in January. 

While Jackson refused to give specific reasons for stepping down, he told the Hot Mic podcast that something had happened that affected his team’s ability to continue. 

He made it clear that he would not be disclosing any confidential details, simply stating, “Once I’m done, I’m done.” 

Nick is now expected to be arraigned this Monday.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Mia Goth wants betterment in ex Shia LaBeouf’s life

Published

on

Mia Goth wants betterment in ex Shia LaBeouf’s life


Mia Goth wants betterment in ex Shia LaBeouf’s life

Following the recent arrest of Shia LaBeouf during Mardi Gras celebrations, his former partner Mia Goth is reportedly urging the actor to seek professional help. 

The actress is said to be hoping for a positive change in LaBeouf’s life, specifically suggesting he returns to rehab to address ongoing personal challenges.

The call for betterment comes as the 39-year-old actor faces fresh legal trouble in New Orleans. 

His mugshot was released on Friday by the Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office after he was taken into custody on 17 February. 

Authorities booked him on two counts of simple battery following an alleged confrontation at the Royal Street Inn & R Bar in the French Quarter. 

According to reports, the situation began early Monday evening when the actor allegedly used homophobic slurs inside the venue.

The situation has clearly sparked concern for Goth, who split from LaBeouf about a year ago. 

The pair, who have had a long and often turbulent history since meeting in 2012, share a three-year-old daughter named Isabel. 

While LaBeouf has previously been open about his journey with sobriety and his recent conversion to Catholicism, this latest incident suggests he may still be struggling.

Just days before the arrest, the actor had shared a rare selfie of himself enjoying the carnival festivities. 

He later posted a brief “Free me” message to social media following his release from jail. 

However, with a court appearance now scheduled for 19 March, those close to him are reportedly hoping he chooses a path of recovery rather than further controversy.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

What hurdles lie ahead for US businesses after rollback of global trade levies?

Published

on

What hurdles lie ahead for US businesses after rollback of global trade levies?


A 3D-printed miniature model depicting U.S. President Donald Trump, US flag and the word “Tariffs” in this illustration taken on April 17, 2025.— Reuters

The Supreme Court’s striking down of President Donald Trump’s global tariffs, while a relief to many, heralds more months of uncertainty as US businesses brace for new levies and a fight for refunds plays out.

Long road to refunds

The ruling sets up a long fight for tariff refunds, as the duties, now deemed illegal, generated some $133.5 billion from January 2025 to mid-December.

The top court did not address the refund issue, and analysts say this will be decided by lower courts in the coming months.

The US Court of International Trade is expected to manage this process, said ING analysts Carsten Brzeski and Julian Geib.

“Refunds won’t come automatically, as any importer that wants its money back must sue individually,” they said.

“This process has already kicked off, with over 1,000 corporate entities now involved in a legal fight.”

Trump told reporters Friday: “We’ll end up being in court for the next five years.”

More volatility

Hours after the court decision, Trump vowed to impose a new 10% tariff on imports under an alternative authority.

This is widely seen as a temporary move to pave the way for more durable tariffs, but is set to trigger other challenges and upheaval in the meantime.

The law Trump is tapping for this tariff — Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974 — only allows for a duty of 150 days unless Congress extends it.

Trump has said there will be new investigations of unfair trade practices under Section 301, a path towards more lasting duties.

Josh Lipsky, chair of international economics at the Atlantic Council, said Friday’s ruling merely “opens a new chapter” in Trump’s tariff policy.

There will be “more uncertainty, more volatility for businesses to navigate, and more fraught trade deals for countries to negotiate,” Lipsky added.

Losing speed

But for now, the court’s decision “removes one of Trump’s fastest tools for imposing broad tariffs,” said ING.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent told Fox News on Friday that tariffs based on the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) “were custom-made for President Trump to assert leverage” against other countries.

“We were able to bring them to the table very quickly,” he said.

“We will get back to the same tariff level for the countries,” Bessent vowed. “It will just be in a less direct and slightly more convoluted manner.”

Trade deal uncertainty?

With tariffs imposed via emergency economic powers forming the basis of recent trade talks, analysts warned that some partners may try to rethink their commitments.

Lipsky expects economies that have already made deals to keep them rather than “risk unravelling an agreement which at least has provided some stability.”

But those still finalising deals may have more leverage now.

Asia Society Policy Institute senior vice president Wendy Cutler expects that walking away from announced deals “does not seem to be in the cards for our partners.”

“They know all too well that such a step could end up leaving them in a worse position with the White House,” she said.

Lower tariffs?

With the Supreme Court ruling, consumers “face an overall average effective tariff rate of 9.1%, which remains the highest since 1946, excluding 2025,” according to The Budget Lab at Yale University.

This is down from 16.9%.

Despite Trump’s plan to move towards more lasting duties, Navy Federal Credit Union chief economist Heather Long expects Friday’s ruling “will force a reset in tariff policy.”

She anticipates this is “likely to lead to lower overall tariff rates and a more orderly imposition of future tariffs.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Barry Manilow cancels more concerts amid recovery after cancer surgery

Published

on

Barry Manilow cancels more concerts amid recovery after cancer surgery


Singer-songwriter Barry Manilow announced Friday he needs to reschedule several more concerts as he continues to recover following surgery after he was diagnosed with lung cancer

In a statement posted Friday to social media, the 82-year-old said he just had a “very depressing visit” with his surgeon, who he said told him: “Barry, you won’t be ready to do a 90 minute show. Your lungs aren’t ready yet.”

Manilow said his surgeon said he was in “great shape considering what you’ve been through, but your body isn’t ready,” and told him: “You shouldn’t do the first Arena shows. You won’t make it through.”

The “Copacabana” hitmaker announced in December that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer and needed to reschedule his January concert dates in order to have surgery. 

His upcoming arena shows were scheduled to begin Feb. 27 in Tampa, Florida, according to his website. Manilow said Friday he has to reschedule the first batch of shows from Feb. 27 through March 17.

Barry Manilow performs during the “Manilow: The Last Seattle Concert” at Climate Pledge Arena on July 12, 2025.

Mat Hayward / Getty Images


Manilow said that “deep down, I wanted to go back—but my body knew what my heart didn’t want to admit: I wasn’t ready.” He said that while he’s been using the treadmill three times a day, he “still couldn’t sing more than three songs in a row before I had to stop.”

“I’m SO, SO sorry I have to reschedule some of these first Arena shows. Again! But when I do come back, I will COME BACK!!!” he added.

Manilow said his surgeon indicated he might be able to perform in Las Vegas at the end of March and for the second leg of the arena shows scheduled to begin in April.

In December, Manilow said an MRI scan detected “a cancerous spot” on one of his lungs after he suffered a lengthy bout of bronchitis in the midst of a residency in Palm Springs, California.

“It’s pure luck (and a great doctor) that it was found so early,” Manilow said at the time, adding that he was having surgery to have the spot removed.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending