Connect with us

Business

Ethiopia nears $1b bond restructuring | The Express Tribune

Published

on

Ethiopia nears b bond restructuring | The Express Tribune


Ahmed Shide, Ethiopia Finance Minister. Photo: f(ile)


ADDIS ABABA:

Ethiopia has struck a preliminary agreement with a group of investors holding some of its $1 billion 2024 international bond, according to the Finance Ministry, a crucial step on the African nation’s path to restructure its debt.

The draft agreement covers the main financial terms of the debt rework, a statement on the ministry’s official Facebook page said on Friday.

However, authorities still needed to agree on the non-financial terms of the new instrument that was going to be issued to replace the defaulted bonds with the Ad Hoc Committee, it said.

The ministry had also communicated the terms of the agreement to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and its Official Creditor Committee (OCC), and was waiting for feedback from both.

“The terms of the Agreement in Principle have been communicated to the OCC for their non-objection as well as to the IMF to ensure compliance with Ethiopia’s long-term debt sustainability,” the statement said.

The East African nation defaulted on its sole international bond in late 2023 and opted to rework its debt under the G20’s Common Framework initiative, which requires similar treatment of all debt owed to bilateral, Eurobond and other commercial creditors.

The government has been engaging with bondholders on potential paths to restructuring for months, but progress has been slow.

The government formalised a restructuring deal with bilateral creditors in July, which, according to the finance ministry, would provide cashflow relief of more than $3.5 billion and had paved the way for talks with bondholders.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Trump tariffs: The uncertainties facing businesses and consumers after tariff changes

Published

on

Trump tariffs: The uncertainties facing businesses and consumers after tariff changes



Businesses say questions remain after US President Donald Trump announced he will impose global tariffs of 15%.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

‘Buy America’ to ‘bye America’: Why investors are looking beyond US stocks – The Times of India

Published

on

‘Buy America’ to ‘bye America’: Why investors are looking beyond US stocks – The Times of India


US investors are increasingly moving money out of domestic equities and into overseas markets, signalling a shift away from the long-dominant “buy America” trade as returns from Big Tech moderate and global markets outperform.Data from LSEG/Lipper shows US-domiciled investors have withdrawn about $75 billion from US equity products over the past six months, including $52 billion since the start of 2026 — the largest outflow in the first eight weeks of a year since at least 2010, news agency Reuters reported.The trend reflects growing diversification by American investors, even as a weaker dollar makes overseas investments more expensive. Analysts say the shift mirrors earlier moves by global investors who had already begun reducing exposure to US assets.Since the global financial crisis in 2009, strong economic growth and technology-sector dominance helped US equities deliver outsized gains, reinforcing the “buy America” investment strategy. More recently, the artificial intelligence boom pushed the S&P 500 to record highs last year, cushioning markets despite policy uncertainty linked to President Donald Trump’s trade and diplomatic approach.

Investors look beyond US tech dominance

Rising concerns over AI-related risks and elevated valuations of megacap technology stocks have prompted investors to reassess opportunities abroad. Bank of America’s February fund manager survey showed investors rotating from US equities into emerging markets at the fastest pace in five years.“I’ve had lots of conversations with our wealth business in the U.S. this year,” said Gerry Fowler, UBS’s head of European equity strategy and global derivatives strategy. “They’re all talking about investing more offshore because at the end of the year, they looked at the performance of foreign markets in dollars and they’re like, wow, I’m missing out.”So far this year, US investors have invested about $26 billion into emerging-market equities, with South Korea attracting $2.8 billion and Brazil $1.2 billion, according to LSEG/Lipper data.The dollar has declined roughly 10% against a basket of currencies since last January, partly reflecting policy developments under the Trump administration. While this raises the cost of overseas investments, stronger foreign market performance can enhance dollar-denominated returns.Over the past 12 months, the S&P 500 has gained around 14%, compared with a 43% rise in Tokyo’s Nikkei index, a 26% jump in Europe’s STOXX 600, a 23% return from Shanghai’s CSI 300 and a doubling in South Korea’s KOSPI index.

Valuation gap drives global rotation

Investors are increasingly rotating away from high-growth technology stocks towards industrial and defensive sectors, which are more prominent in markets such as Germany, the UK, Switzerland and Japan.Laura Cooper, global investment strategist at Nuveen, told Reuters that the shift reflects a broader reassessment of valuations. “Increasingly we are seeing U.S. investors look at the global landscape from a valuation perspective,” she said, highlighting cyclical growth momentum in Europe and Japan.European banking stocks surged 67% last year and have risen another 4% so far in 2026, illustrating renewed interest in cyclical sectors.US equities continue to trade at higher valuations, with the S&P 500 valued at roughly 21.8 times expected earnings, compared with about 15 times in Europe, 17 times in Japan and 13.5 times in China.Kevin Thozet, portfolio adviser at Carmignac, said flows of US capital into Europe have accelerated since mid-2025. Since Trump’s inauguration last January, US investors have channelled nearly $7 billion into European equity funds, reversing earlier outflows recorded during his first term.“If I’m taking a very long-term view, it’s, maybe, this idea of a great global rotation,” Thozet said.(Disclaimer: Recommendations and views on the stock market, other asset classes or personal finance management tips given by experts are their own. These opinions do not represent the views of The Times of India)



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Haryana Govt bars IDFC First Bank, AU Small Finance Bank over alleged Rs 590 crore fraud

Published

on

Haryana Govt bars IDFC First Bank, AU Small Finance Bank over alleged Rs 590 crore fraud


New Delhi: The Haryana Government on Sunday de-empanelled IDFC First Bank and AU Small Finance Bank from handling government business with immediate effect after an alleged fraud of around Rs 590 crore came to light. 

In an official circular, the state government said both banks have been barred from carrying out any government-related transactions in Haryana until further orders.

It directed all departments, boards, corporations and public sector undertakings to stop using these banks for deposits, investments or any other financial dealings.


Add Zee News as a Preferred Source



Authorities have also been asked to immediately transfer existing balances and close accounts maintained with the two lenders.

The Finance Department pointed out lapses in following fixed deposit instructions. It noted that in some cases, funds that were supposed to be placed in flexible deposits or higher-interest fixed deposit schemes were allegedly kept in savings accounts, leading to lower returns and financial loss to the state.

Departments have been instructed to strictly follow approved deposit terms, regularly verify compliance by banks, conduct monthly reconciliations and report any discrepancies.

All reconciliations must be completed by March 31, 2026, and a certified compliance report has to be submitted by April 4, 2026.

The action comes after IDFC First Bank disclosed in a regulatory filing that it had detected a fraud of about Rs 590 crore involving certain Haryana government-linked accounts operated through its Chandigarh branch.

The bank said there were prima facie unauthorised and fraudulent activities carried out by some employees at the branch, possibly involving other individuals or entities.

According to the bank, the issue surfaced when a Haryana government department requested closure and transfer of its account balance to another bank.

During the process, discrepancies were found between the amount mentioned and the actual balance in the account.

Similar discrepancies were later identified in other government-linked accounts from February 18 onwards.

IDFC First Bank clarified that its preliminary internal review suggests the matter is limited to a specific group of Haryana government-linked accounts handled by the Chandigarh branch and does not affect other customers.

The total amount under reconciliation across the identified accounts is estimated at around Rs 590 crore, and the final figure will be determined after further validation and possible recoveries.

Four bank officials have been suspended pending investigation. The bank said it will take strict disciplinary, civil and criminal action against those found responsible.

It has also issued recall requests to certain beneficiary banks to lien-mark balances in suspicious accounts as part of recovery efforts. The statutory auditors have been informed and an independent external agency will carry out a forensic audit.

 



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending