Business
Ford reports worst quarterly earnings miss in four years, guides for better 2026
DETROIT – Ford Motor reported its largest quarterly earnings miss in four years in its fourth-quarter results released Tuesday, while guiding for 2026 to be a rebound year for the automaker.
Ford’s 2026 guidance includes adjusted EBIT of between $8 billion and $10 billion, up from $6.8 billion last year; adjusted free cash flow of between $5 billion and $6 billion, up from $3.5 billion in 2025; and capital expenditures of $9.5 billion to $10.5 billion, up from $8.8 billion.
Here’s how the company performed in the fourth quarter compared with average estimates compiled by LSEG:
- Earnings per share: 13 cents adjusted vs. 19 cents expected
- Automotive revenue: $42.4 billion vs. $41.83 billion expected
The EPS coming in 32% below consensus was the company’s first quarterly miss since 2024 and its worst since a 42% difference when reporting its 2021 fourth-quarter results, according to LSEG.
The earnings miss was largely due to unexpected tariff costs of roughly $900 million related to credits for auto parts not taking effect as early as expected, the company said. Ford, as of Dec. 15, had confirmed $7.7 billion in earnings before interest and taxes for the fourth quarter, but the additional costs dropped that to $6.8 billion.
Ford CFO Sherry House said the lower-than-expected earnings were also related to additional impacts from fires at a Novelis aluminum supplier plant last year in New York, which now isn’t expected to be fully operational until the middle of this year. The plant supplies Ford’s lucrative F-Series pickup trucks.
“We will see a billion-dollar benefit roughly in 2026; however, this year, due to the Novelis impact, we’re going to have tariffs increasing in order to secure aluminum that is roughly the same amount of that savings,” House told reporters.
Ford’s net tariff impact is expected to be roughly flat year-over-year at $2 billion in 2026, she said. The Novelis fire had an impact of $2 billion during the second half of the year for Ford, she added.
House and Ford CEO Jim Farley said the company’s 2025 results continue to demonstrate the company’s underlying business is improving despite the special items impacting results.
The company’s 2025 revenue was a record $187.3 billion, up 1% from $185 billion a year earlier. That includes $45.9 billion during the fourth quarter, down 5% from a year before.
On a business unit level, the automaker’s traditional and fleet operations are expected to offset an expected $4 billion to $4.5 billion in losses this year for its “Model e” electric vehicle unit. Pre-tax earnings from its “Ford Pro” fleet business are expected to be between $6.5 billion to $7.5 billion, followed by $4 billion to $4.5 billion for its traditional “Blue” business.
On an unadjusted basis, the company’s net loss of $8.2 billion last year was its largest since the Great Recession in 2008, according to FactSet. That included $15.5 billion in special charges during the fourth quarter largely related to a pre-announced pullback in its all-electric vehicle plans.
Automakers commonly exclude “special items” or one-time charges from their adjusted financial results to provide investors with a clearer picture of their core, ongoing business operations.
Ford reported a fourth-quarter net loss of $11.1 billion, or a loss of $2.77 per share, compared with net income of $1.8 billion, or 45 cents per share, in the same period in 2024. Adjusted for the one-time charges, the company reported earnings of 13 cents per share.
Business
Restaurants raising prices to keep the doors open
The Pavilion took to social media to reveal cost pressures
Source link
Business
After 11 Years At Amazon, A Midnight Email Announced Indian Techie’s Layoff: ‘Suddenly Everything Was Gone’
Last Updated:
After 11 years at Amazon, the Indian-origin techie who lost his job shared that his teenage daughter helped him stay positive.

He is now learning AI and working on a side project. (representative image)
Losing a job after more than a decade at the same company is never easy. For this man, it came as a sudden shock. The Indian-origin tech professional, Hemant Virmani, who lives in Washington, had worked at Amazon for over 11 years before he was laid off in October 2025.
In an essay published by Business Insider, the 47-year-old opened up about how he dealt with the setback. He also shared how his teenage daughter’s resilience during her own difficult time changed the way he viewed his situation.
Layoff Email Changed Everything Overnight
Virmani said he found out about the layoff through a middle-of-the-night email. “Amazon was part of my daily life for 11.5 years, and suddenly it was gone,” he told Business Insider. He had been working as a senior software development manager.
He admitted there is “no right way or easy way” to conduct layoffs. While he had seen others lose their jobs in 2023, facing it himself felt very different. The next morning, he had a 30-minute meeting with his manager, who shared the news in what he called a “positive, human way.” A former manager also met him at a coffee shop to check on him.
Daughter’s Strength Gave Him A New Outlook
In the first few days, Virmani said he struggled to accept what had happened. But he began thinking about how his daughter had handled a difficult time in her own life the year before.
“She had an adverse situation happen to her last year that required recovery. How she reacted in that difficult time inspired me. Her mental model was: ‘Challenges don’t have to keep me from showing up for myself or for others.’ Her positive attitude was an inspiration for me to do the same,” Virmani recalled.
“I kind of learned from her that I had to take this layoff with positivity, keep my cool, and focus on what was next,” he added.
Soon after, he faced another personal loss when his father passed away. He travelled to India and spent about a month with family, thinking about his life and career.
Focusing On What Comes Next
Virmani now calls the break a “refreshing change.” He said he is less worried about the brand name of his next company and more focused on meaningful work. He has started learning more about artificial intelligence and is working on a hobby AI project.
He is applying for head-of-engineering roles and networking actively. He is also taking care of his health, going to the gym several times a week.
“My advice to anyone undergoing layoffs is to realise that layoffs are not about you. It’s about an environment that is driving layoffs. Secondly, now that this has happened, you can’t go back in the past and change it. Look forward to what you can do next. How you react is very important,” he said.
Delhi, India, India
February 17, 2026, 08:46 IST
Read More
Business
Hyatt Hotels chairman steps down over Jeffrey Epstein ties
Billionaire Thomas Pritzker said he had exercised “terrible judgement” in keeping contact with Epstein.
Source link
-
Business7 days agoAye Finance IPO Day 2: GMP Remains Zero; Apply Or Not? Check Price, GMP, Financials, Recommendations
-
Fashion7 days agoComment: Tariffs, capacity and timing reshape sourcing decisions
-
Tech1 week agoRemoving barriers to tech careers
-
Fashion7 days agoADB commits $30 mn to support MSMEs in Philippines
-
Entertainment7 days ago‘Harry Potter’ star David Thewlis doesn’t want you to ask him THIS question
-
Fashion7 days agoSaint Laurent retains top spot as hottest brand in Q4 2025 Lyst Index
-
Sports7 days agoWinter Olympics opening ceremony host sparks fury for misidentifying Mariah Carey, other blunders
-
Fashion4 days ago$10→ $12.10 FOB: The real price of zero-duty apparel
