Connect with us

Entertainment

‘Frankenstein’ director gets honest about its making

Published

on

‘Frankenstein’ director gets honest about its making


Guillermo del Toro airs thoughts on creating ‘Frankenstein’

Frankenstein is close to Guillermo del Toro’s heart, it appears, as the director reveals the length he went to make the movie.

As the movie has wrapped up filming and is set to be released on Netflix, the filmmaker, in a light-hearted manner, joked, “I’m in postpartum depression.”

It’s worth pointing out that there had been versions previously made of Mary Shelley’s novel.

But as far as Guillermo’s take is concerned, he himself shared his fondness for the story.

“I’ve been following the creature since I was kid. I waited for the movie to be done in the right conditions,” the filmmaker said in a press conference about the forthcoming movie.

He continued, “Both creatively in terms of achieving the scope to make it different, and to make it at a scale that you could reconstruct the whole world.”

Touching on the overview of his vision of the movie, Guillermo, however, dismissed the notion the story somewhat gives a nod to the potential dangers AI poses — given the movie is about a scientist’s misuse of technology.

“We live in a time of terror and intimidation, certainly the movie tries to show imperfect characters.”

“And the right we have to remain imperfect, and the right we have to understand each other under the most oppressive circumstances,” he said, remarking, “I’m not afraid of artificial intelligence. I’m afraid of natural stupidity.”

Ahead of landing on Netflix on Nov 7, Frankenstein will get a limited release in cinemas on October 17.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Prince William’s take on King Charles peace talks come to light

Published

on

Prince William’s take on King Charles peace talks come to light


Prince William’s chances of attending King Charles’ peace talks comes to light

A super fan of Meghan Markle that runs a social media page of 750,000 followers has just sat down for a chat to highlight the importance Prince William has in making any reconciliation possible for Meghan’s husband, Prince Harry.

According to Express US, the conversation happened with candid admissions.

Fabiani began by sharing her expectations for the potential meeting between father and son and noted too that there are low chances of Prince William attending.

For those unversed, there have been numerous past reports that claim Prince William is apprehensive, about Prince Harry’s motivations, some even went as far as to question if his intentions towards reconciliation revolve around reinstating taxpayer funded security.

Fabiani though focused on how she feels it will go and said, “Nothing public or theatrical is expected, just a private moment between father and son.”

Especially considering the fact that “William is not involved makes the meeting even more delicate, but perhaps more genuine for that very reason.”

Before concluding she also added, “There’s a lot of attention around this possible reconciliation. The comments I’ve seen range from hopeful to cautious.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Body set up to develop strategies to boost resilience against extreme weather events

Published

on

Body set up to develop strategies to boost resilience against extreme weather events


A man stands near the remains of his damaged house following monsoon rains and rising water levels of the Chenab River, in Harsa Bhula village, Chiniot district, Punjab on August 30, 2025. — Reuters
  • Planning Minister Ahsan Iqbal will head the 13-member committee. 
  • Body to review existing flood protection and drainage infrastructure.
  • Will form short, medium, and long-term plans for climate adaptation.

KARACHI: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has formed a 13-member committee to develop strategies to enhance Pakistan’s resilience to extreme weather events, including cloudbursts, flash floods, and urban flooding, The News reported on Sunday.

Chaired by the Federal Minister for Planning, Development, and Special Initiatives, Ahsan Iqbal, the committee comprises key federal ministers, secretaries, experts, and stakeholders from across the country.

The development comes against the backdrop of havoc wreaked by floods and torrential rains in Punjab, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Gilgit Baltistan. 

More than 840 people have been killed in various flood-related incidents across the country since late June, while also causing widespread damage to infrastructure and properties.

In Punjab, at least 33 people have lost their lives, and more than 2 million have been affected as severe flooding continues to inundate vast areas of the province which include as many as 2,200 villages submerged in floodwaters.

Meanwhile, the mandate of the high-level body formed by the PM includes reviewing existing institutional arrangements for disaster preparedness and response. It will also evaluate critical infrastructure and recommend measures to address environmental and urban vulnerabilities.

A copy of the official notification, issued by the Ministry of Climate Change and Environmental Coordination, obtained by the publication, outlines the committee’s broad Terms of Reference (TORs).

They include assessing the current flood protection and drainage infrastructure, exploring financing options (including climate finance) for key Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP) projects, and proposing legal measures to curb deforestation and environmental degradation.

It will also suggest targeted interventions to reduce urban flooding. It will evaluate early warning systems and recommend the installation of modern radars. Additionally, it aims to strengthen the capacity of federal and provincial disaster management authorities, particularly the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA).

The committee is expected to submit a detailed report or presentation to the prime minister within 10 days. The Ministry of Climate Change will provide secretarial support to the committee.

In a parallel development, a special policy dialogue forum has also been constituted. This will engage all stakeholders, including provincial governments, federal ministries, semi-government bodies, civil society, and the media. Meetings will be held on a fortnightly basis to shape short, medium, and long-term national strategies for climate adaptation and disaster mitigation.

This forum includes the federal ministers for climate change, communications, and water resources. It also includes the Prime Minister’s Advisers on Political Affairs and Inter-Provincial Coordination, federal secretaries, the Chairman of NDMA, and the secretaries of irrigation and environment from all four provinces. 

Representatives from Azad Jammu and Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan are also included. The Director General of the Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) is a key member of the forum.

The dialogue committee would review the preparedness of federal and provincial authorities to handle natural disasters, assessing financial requirements for water reservoirs and flood mitigation projects, and monitoring the progress of flood prevention and drainage schemes.

It will also focus on restoring natural water channels by eliminating encroachments. It will propose new legislation to penalise negligence related to deforestation. In addition, it will work on upgrading forecasting infrastructure to improve monsoon predictions and will help develop urban drainage strategies for rapid rainwater removal.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Kim Novak voices concerns over Sydney Sweeney’s upcoming biopic ‘Scandalous’

Published

on

Kim Novak voices concerns over Sydney Sweeney’s upcoming biopic ‘Scandalous’


Kim Novak voices concerns over Sydney Sweeney’s upcoming biopic ‘Scandalous’

Kim Novak pushed back against the upcoming biopic Scandalous, which stars Sydney Sweeney as the screen icon and explores her 1950s romance with entertainer Sammy Davis Jr.

While speaking to The Guardian from the Venice Film Festival, where a documentary about her life is premiering, the 92-year-old actress expressed discomfort with the film’s title and what she fears may be an exaggerated portrayal of her relationship.

Novak said, “I don’t think the relationship was scandalous. He’s somebody I really cared about. We had so much in common, including that need to be accepted for who we are and what we do, rather than how we look. I’m concerned they’re going to make it all sexual reasons.”

According to Daily Mail, the romance, which ended after Columbia Pictures boss Harry Cohn threatened Davis with mob violence, has long been viewed through the lens of Hollywood’s racial and cultural taboos of the era.

Directed by Colman Domingo, Scandalous will mark his directorial debut. Novak, however, feels the project risks misrepresenting a deeply personal chapter of her life.

At the festival, the actress celebrated the release of Kim Novak’s Vertigo, a documentary she described as a “full circle” tribute to her authenticity and resilience in an industry that once tried to reshape her image.

Moreover, Novak said, “It’s incredible to feel appreciated and to receive this gift before the end of my life. I think I’m being honored as much for being authentic as for my acting.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending