Connect with us

Politics

German president condemns US-Israeli aggression against Iran as ‘unnecessary war’

Published

on

German president condemns US-Israeli aggression against Iran as ‘unnecessary war’



German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier has taken a strong and principled stance against the illegal joint military aggression by the United States and the Israeli regime on the Islamic Republic of Iran, describing the conflict as a “truly avoidable, unnecessary war.”

Steinmeier on Thursday highlighted how the unilateral destruction by the Trump administration of the 2015 nuclear agreement paved the way for the current escalation and instability in the West Asian region.

According to German media, Steinmeier made the remarks during a major address to German diplomats and at an event marking the 75th anniversary of the German Foreign Office.

He directly addressed the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), stating it would have been better if that agreement had been preserved, and emphasized: “If the 2015 agreement with Iran had been preserved, it would have been possible to prevent the consequences we are currently witnessing.”

Steinmeier, who was personally involved in negotiating the JCPOA as foreign minister, bluntly called the war “a politically disastrous mistake” and a “politically fatal error.”

The German president noted that the US justification for its aggression “does not hold water” and constitutes a clear violation of international law.

Steinmeier told diplomats that maintaining the JCPOA had delivered real progress toward stability, while the US withdrawal under President Trump in his first term and the subsequent military adventure in his second have led to precisely the dangerous situation Iran had long warned against.

President Steinmeier’s remarks represent a significant crack in the Western facade of support for the US-Israeli alliance.

By openly admitting the war was avoidable and that preserving the JCPOA could have prevented today’s crisis, the German head of state has effectively validated the Islamic Republic’s consistent position. Tehran says that diplomacy and respect for Iran’s sovereign rights, not sanctions and bombs, are the path to regional peace and security.

The German president’s candid intervention is further evidence of the growing international isolation of the aggressors.

The Islamic Republic has always fulfilled its JCPOA commitments, as repeatedly confirmed by the IAEA, while the Zionist regime and Washington have repeatedly violated the agreement and international law through assassinations, sabotage, and now outright military aggression.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

India battles power cuts as heatwave boosts electricity demand to record

Published

on

India battles power cuts as heatwave boosts electricity demand to record


Labourers use a cart to transport aluminium pipes at a market on a hot summer day in New Delhi, India. — Reuters/File
Labourers use a cart to transport aluminium pipes at a market on a hot summer day in New Delhi, India. — Reuters/File

Some parts of India are grappling with power cuts as record-breaking heat has pushed electricity demand to an all-time high in excess of 270 gigawatts, spurring a government call for consumers to limit use.

An El Nino weather pattern is bringing above-average summer temperatures across the subcontinent in May, with nighttime outages running from 40 minutes to an hour in the manufacturing and infotech hub of Chennai, residents said.

“South Chennai has seen frequent power cuts over the past two days, with outages at short intervals,” said R Hari, a resident of the southern city, who complained that they made it difficult to work from home.

India’s peak power deficit late on Thursday evening was about 2.57 gigawatts, said national regulator Grid-India.

“Although we are prepared to supply electricity as required, due to the intense summer, let us all try to use electricity wisely and judiciously,” the power ministry said in a statement on Friday.

Shortages are chronic during the evening hours as supply then relies heavily on thermal and hydropower sources, while daytime demand is met partly by solar generation.

The record heat and surging electricity demand are testing India’s power system, said Disha Aggarwal, senior programme lead at energy and environment think-tank CEEW, as hotter nights become the norm.

India needs to urgently fast-track commissioning of battery storage to make use of surplus solar energy at night, she added.

From Friday to May 27, weather authorities have forecast “heatwave to severe heatwave conditions” for the capital New Delhi, along with large northern and eastern areas.

Several people in New Delhi and the neighbouring city of Noida took to X to complain of power outages during the night.

In the eastern coastal state of Odisha, some users have protested against longer power cuts in some areas during both day and night, residents and media said.





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Over 2,000 gather in San Diego to mourn three men killed in mosque attack

Published

on

Over 2,000 gather in San Diego to mourn three men killed in mosque attack


People attend a prayer service for the victims of a shooting at the Islamic Centre, in San Diego, California, US, May 21, 2026. — Reuters
People attend a prayer service for the victims of a shooting at the Islamic Centre, in San Diego, California, US, May 21, 2026. — Reuters
  • Over 2,000 mourners honour men killed defending mosque.
  • FBI investigates attack as suspected hate crime.
  • Mourners call for end to anti-Muslim hatred.

SAN DIEGO: More than 2,000 people gathered in a San Diego park on Thursday to mourn a security guard and two other men murdered as they tried to stop this week’s attack on the city’s largest mosque.

Men and women, including police officers in uniform, stood in rows for the funeral prayer, or Janazah, to remember the three men referred to as heroes by mourners for delaying and distracting the attackers, preventing further bloodshed at a time when children were at the mosque’s school.

The bodies of the men, Amin Abdullah, 51, Mansour Kaziha, 78, and Nadir Awad, 57, lay beneath cloths and rugs, underneath a white canopy.

“[Allahu Akbar] God is the ⁠greatest,” the mourners chanted in Arabic, raising their hands at the service in a park wedged between the city’s river and a soccer stadium.

The three men were set to be buried alongside one another later in the day at a nearby cemetery.

“Today is a message to everyone. Our community got hurt but our community is standing strong and firm,” said the centre’s imam, Taha Hassane, adding that people had travelled from the eastern United States and across California for the service.

People attend a prayer service for the victims of a shooting at the Islamic Centre, in San Diego, California, US, May 21, 2026. — Reuters
People attend a prayer service for the victims of a shooting at the Islamic Centre, in San Diego, California, US, May 21, 2026. — Reuters

The FBI is investigating the attack as a suspected hate crime, and the killings have put Muslims across the United States on edge at a time of rising Islamophobia.

Mourner Ruba Abu Jamah, who knew all three men, called for an end to the hatred of Muslims that she believed inspired the attackers. She questioned why the mother of one of the ⁠teenage suspects, who alerted police that her son was suicidal, allegedly allowed him to have access to guns.

“For God’s sake, why are we going backwards? Hate takes us backwards,” said Abu Jamah, after hearses took the men’s bodies for burial. “Moms, don’t have a whole display of weapons if you know your 16-year-old kid is depressed.”

Abdullah was shot dead in a gun battle with the teenage assailants during which he used his radio to call in a lockdown procedure, ⁠police said.

Jibril Abdullah, Mohammed Abdullah and Khalid Abdullah, sons of security guard Amin Abdullah, who was killed in a shooting incident, sit outside their home in San Diego, California, US, May 20, 2026. — Reuters
Jibril Abdullah, Mohammed Abdullah and Khalid Abdullah, sons of security guard Amin Abdullah, who was killed in a shooting incident, sit outside their home in San Diego, California, US, May 20, 2026. — Reuters 

Kaziha, the centre’s handyman and cook, as well as Awad, whose wife is a teacher at the centre and who lived across the street from the mosque, were shot dead by the attackers after they heard gunfire and ran towards the centre.

Abdullah’s actions are credited with delaying the assailants’ entry to ⁠the centre, where 140 students hid in closets and other spaces, police said.

The assailants fled the mosque in their vehicle and were later found dead in the car from self-inflicted gunshots, police said.

Khaled Abdullah, 24, the security guard’s son, said his family has drawn strength from the ⁠way his father died.

“The fact that he was on the front line, trying to defend kids and innocent people, that makes me feel good,” Khaled told Reuters on Wednesday. “Calling him a hero is the least we can do.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Airbus, Air France found guilty of manslaughter over 2009 Atlantic crash

Published

on

Airbus, Air France found guilty of manslaughter over 2009 Atlantic crash


Debris of the Air France flight 447, recovered from the Atlantic Ocean, arrives at Recifes port on June 14, 2009. An Air France Airbus 330 crashed into the sea on June 1 en route from Brazil to Paris, killing all 228 aboard. — Reuters
Debris of the Air France flight 447, recovered from the Atlantic Ocean, arrives at Recife’s port on June 14, 2009. An Air France Airbus 330 crashed into the sea on June 1 en route from Brazil to Paris, killing all 228 aboard. — Reuters

A French appeals court found Airbus and Air France guilty of corporate manslaughter on Thursday over the Rio-Paris plane crash, but a 17-year legal battle over the country’s worst aviation disaster is set to continue.

“Justice has absolutely been done,” Daniele Lamy, president of the AF447 victims’ association, whose son was one of 228 people who died in the crash, said outside the courtroom.

Relatives of some of those who died when the Airbus A330 plunged in pitch darkness into the Atlantic during an equatorial storm on June 1, 2009, listened to the verdict in silence.

A lower court had in 2023 cleared the two French companies, both of which have repeatedly denied the charges.

Thursday’s verdict is the latest milestone in a legal marathon involving relatives of the mainly French, Brazilian and German victims and two of France’s most emblematic companies.

The appeals court ordered them both to pay the maximum fine for corporate manslaughter, €225,000 ($261,720), following the request of prosecutors during last year’s eight-week trial.

The fines, amounting to just a few minutes of either company’s revenue, have been widely dismissed as a token penalty but families said corporate reputations were on the line.

The Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR), one of two flight recorders from the Rio-Paris Air France flight which crashed in 2009, is carrying to be displayed for the media before a news conference at the BEA headquarters in Le Bourget, northern Paris, May 12, 2011. — Reuters
The Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR), one of two flight recorders from the Rio-Paris Air France flight which crashed in 2009, is carrying to be displayed for the media before a news conference at the BEA headquarters in Le Bourget, northern Paris, May 12, 2011. — Reuters

Airbus and Air France both said they would appeal to France’s highest court, ignoring pleas from the relatives.

“There is no human, moral or legal justification in continuing this procedure,” said Lamy, who appealed to both companies to stop what she called “procedural harassment”.

Divisions over crash cause

Lawyers had predicted further appeals on legal points and warned these could potentially drag the process out for years.

Families’ lawyer Alain Jakubowicz told Reuters a second full re-trial, rehashing the evidence a third time, could not be ruled out if the Court of Cassation faulted Thursday’s verdict.

Relatives and lawyers sat in a high-windowed courtroom that has witnessed some of France’s most historic trials as a judge read out a list of victims, many sharing the same family names.

The black boxes from Flight 447 were retrieved in 2011, after a two-year deep-sea search that was almost called off.

The trial exposed bitter divisions between the airline and planemaker over the cause of the accident and a gulf between a civil crash report that focused mainly on the actions of pilots and a wider chain of cause and effect highlighted by the court.

Analysts said the ruling was unlikely to alter regulators’ views on the crash, which did not lead to major technical changes. France’s BEA crash investigators found the plane’s crew had pushed their jet into a stall, chopping lift from under the wings, after mishandling a problem to do with iced-up sensors.

Prosecutors, however, focused their attention on alleged failures inside both the planemaker and airline. Those included poor training and failing to follow up on earlier sensor flaws.

To prove manslaughter, prosecutors had to not only establish negligence but also pull the threads together to demonstrate how this caused the crash. Their failure to make that part of the argument stick had resulted in the earlier acquittal.

Lamy said the deceased pilots had been “rehabilitated”.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending