Business
Holiday retail spending rose 4.2% this season, driven by e-commerce and electronics: Visa report
U.S. consumers showed resilience this holiday season, driving retail spending up 4.2% year over year, according to preliminary data released Tuesday by Visa.
The report from Visa Consulting and Analytics indicated that despite lingering economic headwinds, shoppers were still spending, particularly on technology and personal goods.
The findings tracked payments activity over a seven-week period beginning Nov. 1 using a subset of Visa payments network data in the U.S. and cover core retail categories, excluding spending on automotive, gasoline and restaurants. The figures are also not adjusted for inflation.
In-store shopping accounted for the bulk of holiday spending, capturing 73% of total retail payment volume during the period, while online purchases made up the remaining 27%.
However, e-commerce was the primary driver of growth, with online sales rising 7.8% compared with last year, reflecting continued demand for convenience and early-season promotions.
“The underlying surprise here … is that consumer spending is holding up reasonably well in light of softer consumer confidence than we had this time last year and a number of headwinds and concerns about inflation,” Michael Brown, principal U.S. economist at Visa, told CNBC.
Brown noted that the 2025 holiday season marked a distinct shift in consumer behavior, citing the growing influence of artificial intelligence in how shoppers find products and compare prices.
“We are seeing consumers use AI in a big way in comparison shopping and then helping to narrow down that perfect gift,” Brown said. “This is the first holiday shopping season where roughly half of the consumers in that survey responded that they are going to leverage AI for one of those two tasks.”
The breakdown of spending categories highlights a shift toward personal goods and convenience, and away from home renovation projects.
Electronics emerged as the season’s top-performing category, with sales climbing 5.8%. Visa attributed this jump to a refresh cycle driven by “high-performance devices in the AI era.”
Apparel and accessories also posted strong numbers, rising 5.3%. General merchandise stores — retailers that offer a “one-stop” experience — saw a 3.7% lift.
Conversely, the home improvement sector struggled during the holidays. Spending on building materials and garden equipment fell 1%, suggesting consumers prioritized gift-giving and gadgets over home maintenance as the year closed out.
Furniture and home furnishings remained essentially flat, eking out a 0.8% gain.
While the headline number is positive for the retail sector, the lack of inflation adjustment means the “real” volume growth will likely be more modest depending on the final Consumer Price Index readings for the period.
Currently, Brown said, real spending growth adjusted for inflation is still up about 2.2% this season.
“That’s not too bad in light of a lot of uncertainty this year,” Brown said. “The consumer is uncertain, they’re cautious, but they’re also smart about how they’re spending their money.”
Visa’s numbers also point to a disconnect between sentiment and action this season.
According to the CNBC All-America Economic Survey released last week, 41% of Americans said they planned to spend less for the holidays this year, 6 points higher than a year ago.
The CNBC survey found that the high cost of goods was emerging as a major factor in determining how much shoppers spend and where they spend, suggesting yearslong inflation and the rise in import goods prices from tariffs are being felt at checkout.
Business
Stock market today: Nifty50 opens near 25,700; BSE Sensex flat in trade – The Times of India
Stock market today: Indian equity benchmarks opened flat in trade on Wednesday. While the 50-share index Nifty was near 25,700, the 30-share BSE Sensex was down marginally. At 9:16 AM, Nifty50 was trading at 25,716.35, down 9 points or 0.035%. BSE Sensex was at 83,438.94, down 12 points or 0.014%.Experts believe that the stock market is likely to remain steady with a positive undertone in the near term, supported by global trends.Dr. VK Vijayakumar, Chief Investment Strategist, Geojit Investments Limited says, “The better-than-expected Q3 results and indications of continuing momentum in earnings growth, going forward, are positive factors that will keep the market resilient. The volatility in IT stocks may continue, in response to incoming news relating to the sector. Overall, IT stocks may remain weak since uncertainty surrounding the sector is huge and large institutional investors are unlikely to invest big time in IT stocks, unless valuations become compelling. There can be churns away from IT towards other sectors like banking and financials, automobiles, telecom, pharmaceuticals etc where there is good earnings visibility.”“This is the time to gradually increase exposure to equity. But many retail investors are increasing investments in gold and silver ETFs, which is a risky game in the present context. Early signs of a shift in the investment strategy of FIIs are visible now. In the cash market, FIIs have been buyers in eight out of the last thirteen trading days. This trend and improving prospects for corporate earnings bode well for the market.“US equities ended marginally higher after a weak start to the session, helped by a rebound in technology stocks and support from financial shares. The recovery followed earlier volatility as investors assessed the outlook for artificial intelligence after recent turbulence that had pulled major indices away from record levels.Asian markets also posted modest gains in thin holiday trading. Investor sentiment remained cautious as markets continued to digest recent swings in global equities linked to concerns around AI-driven disruptions.(Disclaimer: Recommendations and views on the stock market, other asset classes or personal finance management tips given by experts are their own. These opinions do not represent the views of The Times of India)
Business
Netflix grants Warner Bros. Discovery 7-day waiver to reopen deal talks with Paramount Skydance
Warner Bros. Discovery on Tuesday said it will reopen deal talks with Paramount Skydance under a seven-day waiver from Netflix to explore “deficiencies” in Paramount’s offer to buy the entirety of WBD.
The legacy media company has a pending transaction with Netflix for its streaming and studio businesses. Paramount launched a hostile tender offer straight to WBD shareholders at $30 per share after losing out to Netflix in a bidding war.
“Netflix has provided WBD a limited waiver under the terms of WBD’s merger agreement with Netflix, permitting WBD to engage in discussions with Paramount Skydance (“PSKY”) (NASDAQ: PSKY) for a seven-day period ending on February 23, 2026 to seek clarity for WBD stockholders and provide PSKY the ability to make its best and final offer,” Warner Bros. Discovery said in a release.
“During this period, WBD will engage with PSKY to discuss the deficiencies that remain unresolved and clarify certain terms of PSKY’s proposed merger agreement,” it said.
Paramount leadership has repeatedly said its $30 per share, all-cash offer is not its “best and final.” Last week the company sweetened its offer with additional “enhancements,” but stopped short of raising the per-share value.
Warner Bros. Discovery said Tuesday that a senior Paramount representative informed a WBD board member that it would pay $31 per share if deal talks were to reopen.
Tune in at 4:30pm ET as Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos joins CNBC TV. Watch in real time on CNBC+ or the CNBC Pro stream.
After the limited waiver period, Netflix will retain its matching rights provided by the merger agreement, WBD said.
“Throughout the entire process, our sole focus has been on maximizing value and certainty for WBD shareholders,” said WBD CEO David Zaslav in a statement. “Every step of the way, we have provided PSKY with clear direction on the deficiencies in their offers and opportunities to address them. We are engaging with PSKY now to determine whether they can deliver an actionable, binding proposal that provides superior value and certainty for WBD shareholders through their best and final offer.”
WBD also on Tuesday announced a special meeting of shareholders will be held on March 20 and said its board continues to unanimously recommend the Netflix deal over Paramount’s offer.
Netflix said in a statement the shareholder meeting date marked an “important milestone for our transaction with WBD.”
“While we are confident that our transaction provides superior value and certainty, we recognize the ongoing distraction for WBD stockholders and the broader entertainment industry caused by PSKY’s antics,” Netflix said. “Accordingly, we granted WBD a narrow seven-day waiver of certain obligations under our merger agreement to allow them to engage with PSKY to fully and finally resolve this matter.”
Shares of Warner Bros. Discovery were up about 3.5% Tuesday. Shares of Paramount were up about 6%.
Raising regulatory concerns
Either proposed purchase of Warner Bros. Discovery assets comes with regulatory questions.
Media industry insiders and lawmakers have questioned whether Netflix’s proposed deal would win approval as it would bring together two of the top streaming services and could result in higher prices for consumers.
Netflix leadership has repeatedly said the company believes it would win regulatory approval for the deal because it would preserve jobs in a challenged media landscape rife with layoffs.
Paramount has sounded the alarm to WBD shareholders, however, and argues its offer is not only better but would more easily garner government support.
On the flipside, Paramount’s offer has raised questions of foreign funding and antitrust considerations in bringing together two large portfolios of pay TV channels and two major film studios.
Paramount’s deal is financed in part by sovereign wealth funds of Saudi Arabia; Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; and Qatar. Paramount has said those entities have agreed to forgo any governance rights.
In its statement on Tuesday, Netflix called out the foreign funding, which it said it expects to come under scrutiny from international regulators, including the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). Netflix said it also expects European authorities “to scrutinize the Middle Eastern investors in PSKY’s consortium and to be skeptical of claims that they are purely passive investors.”
Given Europe’s track record of antitrust enforcement, it’s possible regulatory battles for either deal would be won or lost in that market. Of course, the question still looms of how President Donald Trump will view either transaction. Trump recently said he hadn’t been involved in the process so far and didn’t plan to be, though he has reportedly met with executives from each camp.
Netflix’s statement on Tuesday “unsurprisingly points to a number of arguments Netflix believes it has in its favor,” according to an analyst note from Raymond James on Tuesday, “including better prospects for approval, a clearer national security picture, and financial security.”
Business
CFTC defends its right to prediction market enforcement as states challenge platforms
Michael Selig, President Donald Trump’s nominee to serve as Commodity Futures Trading Commission chairman, testifies in a Senate Agriculture Committee hearing on his nomination on Capitol Hill, Nov. 19, 2025.
Jonathan Ernst | Reuters
The Commodity Futures Trading Commission filed an amicus brief in federal court on Tuesday to assert the agency’s right to enforce prediction markets instead of individual states, according to its new chairman, Michael Selig.
Selig argued in a Monday Wall Street Journal op-ed that the CFTC has always had authority over prediction markets and determining whether the event contracts constitute gambling, as critics allege. Selig noted nearly 50 active legal cases against prediction markets and said the CFTC would be stepping in to prevent state encroachment.
“The CFTC will no longer sit idly by while overzealous state governments undermine the agency’s exclusive jurisdiction over these markets by seeking to establish statewide prohibitions on these exciting products,” he wrote.
The move comes as prediction markets like Kalshi and Polymarket face legal challenges in multiple states over event contracts. The platforms allow users to bet on the outcomes of events in pop culture, sports, entertainment and more.
Critics of prediction markets have argued that the offerings amount to little more than gambling, though Kalshi has defended its platform and argued that it abides by federal regulations. Sports betting on the prediction platforms has drawn comparisons to legalized sports betting in the U.S.
In his first public comments as CFTC chairman at the end of January, Selig said he was prepared to draft new, clear rules to govern prediction markets and revisit the agency’s rules on involvement in federal and circuit court cases.
“Where jurisdictional questions are at issue, the Commission has the expertise and responsibility to defend its exclusive jurisdiction over commodity derivatives,” he said at the time.
In his Monday op-ed, Selig said event contracts “serve legitimate economic functions” and operate under CFTC rules as “swaps” rather than gambling. He also posited that trading on event contracts is beneficial for the market and for Americans at large.
“These exchanges aren’t the Wild West, as some critics claim, but self-regulatory organizations that are examined and supervised by experienced CFTC staff,” Selig wrote.
In a Tuesday video posted to X, Selig said his message to those who challenge the CFTC’s authority is clear: “We will see you in court.”
“Today, the CFTC is taking an important step to ensure that these markets have a place here in America and have the integrity and resilience and vibrancy that our derivative markets deserve,” he said.
Selig said the amicus brief would be filed in the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in support of Crypto.com in its dispute with the Nevada Gaming Control Board.
CNBC could not verify that the amicus brief had been filed.
Disclosure: CNBC and Kalshi have a commercial relationship that includes a CNBC minority investment.
-
Business1 week agoAye Finance IPO Day 2: GMP Remains Zero; Apply Or Not? Check Price, GMP, Financials, Recommendations
-
Fashion1 week agoComment: Tariffs, capacity and timing reshape sourcing decisions
-
Business7 days agoGold price today: How much 18K, 22K and 24K gold costs in Delhi, Mumbai & more – Check rates for your city – The Times of India
-
Tech1 week agoRemoving barriers to tech careers
-
Fashion1 week agoSaint Laurent retains top spot as hottest brand in Q4 2025 Lyst Index
-
Fashion5 days ago$10→ $12.10 FOB: The real price of zero-duty apparel
-
Business5 days agoTop stocks to buy today: Stock recommendations for February 13, 2026 – check list – The Times of India
-
Entertainment1 week ago‘Harry Potter’ star David Thewlis doesn’t want you to ask him THIS question
