Connect with us

Entertainment

Indian foreign minister stresses on border peace in talks with China’s Wang

Published

on

Indian foreign minister stresses on border peace in talks with China’s Wang


Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi meets Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation meeting in Moscow, Russia September 10, 2020. — Reuters  
  • Jaishankar, Wang hold talks in Delhi amid border tensions.
  • Jaishankar says peace on border key to better ties.
  • Wang to meet PM Modi, hold border talks with Doval.

Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar began talks with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi in New Delhi on Monday and stressed that there could be positive momentum in ties between the neighbours only if there was peace on their border.

Wang arrived in the Indian capital on Monday for a two-day visit during which he will hold the 24th round of border talks with Indian National Security Adviser Ajit Doval and also meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“This (discussing border issues) is very important because the basis for any positive momentum in our ties is the ability to jointly maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas,” Jaishankar told Wang in his opening remarks.

It is also important for the two countries to pull back their troops amassed along their disputed border in the western Himalayas since a deadly border clash in 2020, Jaishankar said.

Wang’s visit comes days before Modi travels to China – his first visit in seven years – to attend the summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, a regional political and security group which also includes Russia.

Relations between the Asian giants began to thaw in October after New Delhi and Beijing reached a milestone pact to lower military tensions on their Himalayan border following talks between Chinese President Xi Jinping and Modi in Russia.

Ties between the two countries had deteriorated sharply following a military clash on their disputed Himalayan border in the summer of 2020 in which 20 Indian soldiers and four Chinese soldiers were killed.

 Modi calls ‘friend’ Putin 

Warming ties between China and India come as relations between New Delhi and Washington are strained.

Trump has issued an ultimatum for India to end its purchases of Russian oil — a key revenue source for Moscow’s war in Ukraine — or Washington will double new import tariffs from 25% to 50%.

Modi said Monday he spoke to “my friend” Vladimir Putin, with the Russian president “sharing insights” on his Alaska summit with Trump last week.

“India has consistently called for a peaceful resolution of the Ukraine conflict and supports all efforts in this regard,” the Indian premier wrote on social media.

Indian hopes that the Alaska meeting would ease US tariff pressure were tempered earlier Monday by US trade adviser Peter Navarro.

“If India wants to be treated as a strategic partner of the US, it needs to start acting like one,” he wrote in a sharply-worded column in the Financial Times.

“India acts as a global clearinghouse for Russian oil, converting embargoed crude into high-value exports while giving Moscow the dollars it needs,” he wrote.

“The proceeds flow to India’s politically connected energy titans, and in turn, into Vladimir Putin’s war chest,” he added, in an apparent swipe at India’s big refiners, which include tycoon Mukesh Ambani.

Navarro said the 50% tariff — due to begin on August 27 — will “hit India where it hurts”.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

YouTube and Fox end row, strike deal to keep channels on air

Published

on

YouTube and Fox end row, strike deal to keep channels on air


A picture taken in Toulouse shows the logo of Youtube social media displayed by a tablet and a smartphone October 5, 2021. — AFP

Alphabet-owned YouTube and Fox said on Thursday they have reached an agreement that will keep Fox News, Fox Sports and other Fox channels available to YouTube TV subscribers.

The companies did not disclose the financial terms of the agreement.

Earlier this week YouTube had been in negotiations with Fox, with the media company asking for payments above those received by partners providing comparable content.

On Wednesday, YouTube said it reached a short-term agreement with Fox that would buy time for the parties to reach a new distribution deal.

In February, YouTube TV reached a deal with media giant Paramount Global to keep channels like CBS, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon available, after failed negotiations for a new contract had briefly left the future of the streaming partnership in limbo.

The carriage dispute caught the attention of Federal Communications Commission Chairman Brendan Carr, who said that the company removing Fox channels from YouTube TV would be “a terrible outcome”.

“Millions of Americans are relying on YouTube to resolve this dispute so they can keep watching the news and sports they want — including this week’s Big Game: Texas @ Ohio State,” Carr wrote on Tuesday on the social media platform X. “Get a deal done Google!”





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Why did famous director decline to make ‘Terminator 3’?

Published

on

Why did famous director decline to make ‘Terminator 3’?


Ridley Scott claims to refuse big ‘Terminator 3’ offer

Jonathan Mostow served as the director of Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, but before him, Ridley Scott was supposedly offered to helm.

According to the director’s claim, the studio put a hefty $20 million on the table for him to direct it, which was equivalent to Arnold Schwarzenger’s fees at the time, who was one of the highest-paid actors.

However, the Alien filmmaker, in a recent interview with The Guardian, stated that he declined the offer. 

“I can’t be bought,” he said, admitting to being surprised the studio offered him the fee, which he asked was what the franchise’s lead star was getting. “I thought: ‘**** me.’ But I couldn’t do it. It’s not my thing.”

Ridley Scott
Ridley Scott

However, passing down on the offer also had to do with his filming style, which he described by giving an example of a James Bond movie. 

“The essence of a Bond movie is fun and camp. Terminator is pure comic strip,” he said. “I would try to make it real,” he shared.

“That’s why they’ve never asked me to do a Bond movie, because I would **** it up,” the director said.

Ridley, at the end, confirmed that he is working on a third film in the Gladiator series.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sabrina Carpenter hoping to make her dream come true: Source

Published

on

Sabrina Carpenter hoping to make her dream come true: Source


Photo: Sabrina Carpenter eagerly waiting for her big screen moment: Source

Sabrina Carpenter reportedly is eyeing a role in the next Mamma Mia movie.

According to Star Magazine, the 26-year-old pop sensation, secretly has been hoping to join the hit ABBA-inspired franchise. 

“Sabrina’s been obsessed with ABBA since she was a little girl,” tipped a source. 

They went on to address, “So it’s no exaggeration to say this would be a dream come true for her.” 

For those unversed, The Espresso hitmaker has already brought her ABBA love to the stage, performing classics such as Dancing Queen during her set while opening for Taylor Swift on the Eras Tour.

However, the insider noted that while Carpenter “really wants” the part, she’s managing her expectations. 

“She’s trying not to get ahead of herself. She’s trusting that if it’s meant for her, it will happen.”

Whether or not she lands Mamma Mia, Hollywood seems ready to give Carpenter her big-screen moment. 

“She’s definitely going to be on the big screen soon because Hollywood is very interested,” the source added. 

“She’s already proven she can act, but she’s not resting on her laurels; she’s been studying with a great coach.”

Producer Judy Craymer even weighed in on the idea, telling Deadline in May that Carpenter “would be a goddess or some relation who would look very much like Meryl Streep” if she were to join the beloved franchise.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending