Connect with us

Entertainment

Indian foreign minister stresses on border peace in talks with China’s Wang

Published

on

Indian foreign minister stresses on border peace in talks with China’s Wang


Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi meets Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation meeting in Moscow, Russia September 10, 2020. — Reuters  
  • Jaishankar, Wang hold talks in Delhi amid border tensions.
  • Jaishankar says peace on border key to better ties.
  • Wang to meet PM Modi, hold border talks with Doval.

Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar began talks with his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi in New Delhi on Monday and stressed that there could be positive momentum in ties between the neighbours only if there was peace on their border.

Wang arrived in the Indian capital on Monday for a two-day visit during which he will hold the 24th round of border talks with Indian National Security Adviser Ajit Doval and also meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“This (discussing border issues) is very important because the basis for any positive momentum in our ties is the ability to jointly maintain peace and tranquility in the border areas,” Jaishankar told Wang in his opening remarks.

It is also important for the two countries to pull back their troops amassed along their disputed border in the western Himalayas since a deadly border clash in 2020, Jaishankar said.

Wang’s visit comes days before Modi travels to China – his first visit in seven years – to attend the summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, a regional political and security group which also includes Russia.

Relations between the Asian giants began to thaw in October after New Delhi and Beijing reached a milestone pact to lower military tensions on their Himalayan border following talks between Chinese President Xi Jinping and Modi in Russia.

Ties between the two countries had deteriorated sharply following a military clash on their disputed Himalayan border in the summer of 2020 in which 20 Indian soldiers and four Chinese soldiers were killed.

 Modi calls ‘friend’ Putin 

Warming ties between China and India come as relations between New Delhi and Washington are strained.

Trump has issued an ultimatum for India to end its purchases of Russian oil — a key revenue source for Moscow’s war in Ukraine — or Washington will double new import tariffs from 25% to 50%.

Modi said Monday he spoke to “my friend” Vladimir Putin, with the Russian president “sharing insights” on his Alaska summit with Trump last week.

“India has consistently called for a peaceful resolution of the Ukraine conflict and supports all efforts in this regard,” the Indian premier wrote on social media.

Indian hopes that the Alaska meeting would ease US tariff pressure were tempered earlier Monday by US trade adviser Peter Navarro.

“If India wants to be treated as a strategic partner of the US, it needs to start acting like one,” he wrote in a sharply-worded column in the Financial Times.

“India acts as a global clearinghouse for Russian oil, converting embargoed crude into high-value exports while giving Moscow the dollars it needs,” he wrote.

“The proceeds flow to India’s politically connected energy titans, and in turn, into Vladimir Putin’s war chest,” he added, in an apparent swipe at India’s big refiners, which include tycoon Mukesh Ambani.

Navarro said the 50% tariff — due to begin on August 27 — will “hit India where it hurts”.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

India’s powerful Hindu group chief urges three-child families as fertility rates fall

Published

on

India’s powerful Hindu group chief urges three-child families as fertility rates fall


Mohan Bhagwat, chief of the Hindu nationalist organisation Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), gestures as he addresses a news conference in New Delhi, India November 9, 2019. — Reuters 
  • Declining fertility rates pose demographic risks.
  • Bhagwat calls for population ‘controlled, yet sufficient’ balance.
  • RSS leader calls on Muslims to overcome fear, build mutual trust.

NEW DELHI: The head of India’s powerful Hindu nationalist Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) said that Indian families must have three children each, warning about the long-term risks from the current trend of declining birth rates.

At 1.46 billion, India is the world’s most populous nation but the total fertility rate has dropped to less than two children per woman, according to the UN Population Fund’s 2025 report, as economic growth gathers momentum.

Mohan Bhagwat, chief of the RSS that is the ideological parent of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party, said the population must remain “controlled, yet sufficient”.

Speaking at a lecture to mark the 100 years of the founding of the RSS on Thursday, Bhagwat suggested that “in the national interest, every family should have three children and limit themselves to that”.

His call for larger families reflects anxiety among nationalist leaders and some regional politicians about long-term demographic stability, national capacity, and cultural identity.

For years hardline Hindu groups have pointed to higher birth rates among minority groups such as Muslims as a cause of concern although data shows Indian Muslims are also having fewer children than in the past.

Bhagwat too said birth rates were declining across religious groups.

While the RSS officially describes itself as a cultural organisation promoting Hindu values, it wields enormous influence through its vast network of affiliates and millions of grassroots volunteers.

Many of Modi’s senior ministers, including the prime minister himself, are long-time members of the RSS.

Analysts say BJP’s policy priorities — from cultural and education reform to citizenship laws — frequently echo positions championed by the RSS, making the organisation one of the most powerful civil society groups in the world.

Bhagwat rejected criticism that the RSS was opposed to Muslims — who make up about 14% of India’s population — and other minorities saying the organisation viewed all of them as Indians.

“Our ancestors and culture are the same. Worship practices may differ, but our identity is one. Changing religion does not change one’s community,” he said.

“Mutual trust must be built on all sides. Muslims must overcome the fear that joining hands with others will erase their religion.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce’s plans for wedding day finally revealed

Published

on

Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce’s plans for wedding day finally revealed


Taylor Swift, Travis Kelce in celebration mode ever since the engagement

Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce took their two-year long relationship to the next level with a surprise engagement recently.

On Tuesday August 26, the couple announced their engagement on social media with a carousal of pictures of themselves in a garden surrounded by roses and floral arches.

“Your English teacher and your gym teacher are getting married,” the post was captioned with a firecracker emoji.

As per the recent findings, a source revealed their wedding plans in an interview with People.

“Taylor and Travis have been in celebration mode ever since the engagement,’ the insiders began by saying.

Sharing next plans after engagement, the source continued, “They are not in the wedding planning phase yet. Right now they just want to enjoy being engaged and they are going to take their time with it.”

The songstress has been in a highly publicized relationship with Kelce, and regarding it the insiders told the outlet, “It has been a relief not having to keep it a secret anymore and they are glad it is out in the open.”

Referring to his mom, Donna, who swapped out her Facebook cover photo to a childhood picture of the songstress and the football player, after the announcement of engagement, the source shared, “Donna is already saving little things from this time like photos, notes and flowers.”

“She is very sentimental about it. She wants to remember every detail, so she has been holding onto mementos from their first days as an engaged couple,” the insiders added.

Before concluding, the source said, “Both families are overjoyed. There were toasts, happy tears and everyone is thrilled for them. Friends have been stopping by and sending little gifts. It has all been intimate, nothing over the top.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jessie J makes heartbreaking announcement amid health issues

Published

on

Jessie J makes heartbreaking announcement amid health issues


Jessie J cancels tour dates ahead of second breast cancer surgery

Jessie J left her fans disappointed on Thursday as she postponed two legs of her upcoming tour while canceling another portion amid her ongoing battle with cancer.

In a statement to People magazine on August 28, the 37-year-old singer announced that she has had to cancel her US tour dates and postpone her UK concerts to focus on her health.

“Unfortunately I have to have a second surgery — nothing too serious but it has to be done by the end of this year,” said Jessie.

“This falls in the middle of the tour I had booked. I’m so sorry, I feel frustrated and sad, but I need to be better, I need to be healed,” she added.

For those unversed, the Bang Bang hitmaker’s UK and European shows were initially scheduled for October 2025. Now, the shows have been moved to April 2026.

This cancellation comes three months after Jessie revealed that she had breast cancer.

The Nobody’s Perfect songstress later took to her Instagram account to further discuss her decision to cancel her upcoming shows.

“As some of you may know I just had breast cancer surgery eight weeks ago, that’s the first thing,” she said in a clip. “The second thing is unfortunately I have to have a second surgery.” 

“Nothing too serious but it has to be done by the end of the year and unfortunately that falls right in the middle of a tour I had booked,” Jessie assured.

“I’m so sorry, I feel frustrated and sad. But also it is what it is. I need to be better, I need to be healed and this is the right decision to make so I am postponing the tour until next year,” added the singer.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending