Entertainment
Jimmy Kimmel, in first monologue since show was taken off air, says “it was never my intention to make light of the murder of a young man”
Jimmy Kimmel returned to his long-running late-night show Tuesday, less than a week after network broadcaster ABC pulled “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” over remarks he made about the assassination of conservative activist Charlie Kirk.
“It’s been overwhelming…I’ve heard from all the people in the world over the last six days,” Kimmel joked to open his monologue, going on to thank all those who came out in his defense, including conservatives.
“Most of all, I want to thank the people who don’t support my show and what I believe, but support my right to share those beliefs anyway,” Kimmel said. “I never would have imagined that Ben Shapiro, Clay Travis, Mitch McConnell, Rand Paul, even my old pal Ted Cruz, who believe it or not said something very beautiful on my behalf. It takes courage for them to speak out against this administration. They did and they deserve credit for it.”
The Walt Disney Company, which owns ABC, had announced Monday that Kimmel would return to the air.
It followed a political and media firestorm that began after the comedian addressed Kirk’s slaying in a Sept. 15 monologue, saying: “We hit some new lows over the weekend with the MAGA gang trying to characterize this kid who murdered Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them, and doing everything they can to score political points from it.”
An emotional Kimmel Tuesday said that “it’s important to me as a human, and that is, you understand that it was never my intention to make light of the murder of a young man. I don’t think there’s anything funny about it,” noting that he had taken to social media following Kirk’s killing to send his condolences to Kirk’s family.
Kimmel didn’t issue a blanket apology for his monologue remarks last week, but said he understood how it was offensive to some.
“Nor was it my intention to blame any specific group for the actions of what was obviously a deeply disturbed individual,” Kimmel said of the suspected gunman. “That was really the opposite of the point I was trying to make. But I understand that to some, that felt either ill-timed or unclear, or maybe both. And for those who think I did, point a finger, I get why you’re upset. If the situation was reversed, there’s a good chance I’d have felt the same way.”
Kimmel gave a brief explanation for what took place behind the scenes between himself and ABC’s brass.
“I was not happy when they pulled me off the air on Wednesday,” Kimmel said. “I did not agree with that decision, and I told them that, and we had many conversations. I shared my point of view, they shared theirs. We talked it through, and at the end, even though they didn’t have to, they really didn’t have to, this is a giant company…they welcomed be back on the air.”
On Tuesday night, before the show aired on the East Coast, Mr. Trump wrote on Truth Social, “I can’t believe ABC Fake News gave Jimmy Kimmel his job back. The White House was told by ABC that his Show was cancelled!”
He went on, “I think we’re going to test ABC out on this. Let’s see how we do. Last time I went after them, they gave me $16 Million Dollars,” Mr. Trump said in reference to his defamation lawsuit last year against ABC News over remarks made by anchor George Stephanopoulos, — which the network settled in December by agreeing to contribute $15 million to Mr. Trump’s presidential foundation and museum, and another $1 million towards Mr. Trump’s legal fees.
“This one sounds even more lucrative,” Mr. Trump wrote Tuesday. “A true bunch of losers!”
Kimmel told his audience Tuesday that the president “made it very clear he wants to see me and the hundreds of people who work here fired from our jobs. Our leader celebrates Americans losing their livelihoods because he can’t take a joke.”
“One thing I did learn from Lenny Bruce and George Carlin and Howard Stern, is that a government threat to silence a comedian the president doesn’t like, is anti-American,” he added.
In a Sept. 17 interview with right-wing podcaster Benny Johnson, Federal Communications Commission Chair Brendan Carr called Kimmel’s remarks “some of the sickest conduct possible,” and said there was a “path forward for suspension over this.”
“The FCC is going to have remedies we could look at,” Carr told Johnson. “We can do this the easy way or the hard way.”
Within hours of that interview, station operator Nexstar announced it would preempt Kimmel’s show over the remarks. Nexstar owns and operates more than 200 stations nationwide, including more than two dozen ABC affiliates. Nexstar has a deal pending to purchase Tegna, a smaller rival, for $6.2 billion, and needs the Federal Communications Commission to approve it.
A Nexstar spokesperson told CBS News last week that the decision to preempt Kimmel’s show was “made unilaterally by the senior executive team at Nexstar, and they had no communication with the FCC or any government agency prior to making that decision.”
ABC later said that it was “indefinitely” suspending the show.
Another major station owner, Sinclair Broadcast Group, also said last week that it was pulling Kimmel’s show.
Despite its return to ABC on Tuesday night, both Nexstar and Sinclair said they would continue to preempt Kimmel’s show.
Sinclair on Monday night posted a statement on X saying it will preempt “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” across its ABC affiliate stations and will be “replacing it with news programming” beginning Tuesday night. “Discussions with ABC are ongoing as we evaluate the show’s potential return,” Sinclair said.
Nexstar on Tuesday said it will continue to preempt “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” and “monitor the show as it returns to ABC.”
Regarding Carr, Kimmel Tuesday showed the audience a social media post that the FCC chair wrote in May 2022 in which he said, “Political satire is one of the oldest and most important forms of free speech. It challenges those in power while using humor to draw more people in to the discussion. That’s why people in influential positions have always targeted it for censorship.”
Disney on Monday did not delve into the details of what led to its decision to allow Kimmel’s show to resume, only saying in a statement that the initial suspension was “to avoid further inflaming a tense situation at an emotional moment for our country,” calling his comments “ill-timed and thus insensitive.”
“We have spent the last days having thoughtful conversations with Jimmy, and after those conversations, we reached the decision to return the show on Tuesday,” Disney said.
The temporary removal of Kimmel’s show sparked a nationwide debate over issues of free speech and censorship. Many in the Hollywood community rallied to Kimmel’s side, with more than 400 celebrities — including actors Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep — signing an open letter with the American Civil Liberties Union that criticized the move as “a dark moment for freedom of speech in our nation.”
Conservatives upset with Kimmel’s comments about Kirk praised the decision, including President Trump, who congratulated ABC on his Truth Social platform “for finally having the courage to do what had to be done.”
Mr. Trump also speculated last week whether networks that cover him negatively should have their broadcast licenses revoked.
“They give me only bad publicity or press,” the president told reporters on Sept. 18. “I mean, they’re getting a license. I would think maybe their license should be taken away. It will be up to Brendan Carr.”
But one prominent conservative, Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, was specifically critical of Carr’s comments to Johnson.
“I gotta say, that’s right out of ‘Goodfellas,'” Cruz said Friday on his podcast. “That’s right out of a mafioso coming into a bar, going, ‘nice bar you have here, it’d be a shame if something happened to it.'”
Kimmel’s show, which launched in 2003, tapes in front of a studio audience on Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles. The guests for Tuesday’s show included actor Glen Powell and singer Sarah McLachlan.
Kathryn Watson and
contributed to this report.
Entertainment
Laura Dern shares ‘the most incredible experience’ with Ellen DeGeneres
Laura Dern is looking back on what she calls one of the most meaningful moments of her career, opening up about her experience supporting Ellen DeGeneres during a groundbreaking chapter in television history.
Speaking on Bowen Yang and Matt Rogers’ Las Culturistas podcast, Dern reflected on the cultural weight of appearing in the 1997 two-part episode of the sitcom Ellen in which DeGeneres’ character came out as a sexual orientation, marking the first time a lead character did so on television.
Discussing the representation, Dern said real change often only happens when someone is willing to go first, even before society is ready.
She explained that culture eventually catches up to storytelling, but only because someone takes that initial step.
Nearly 30 years later, Dern said she continues to meet people who tell her the episode helped them understand themselves or find the courage to come out.
At the same time, she was honest about the personal cost of being part of that moment.
“I had the honour and privilege of being part of Ellen DeGeneres’ coming-out episode called The Puppy Episode, and it was a massive moment,” Dern said.
She noted that, in hindsight, people often assume it was instantly celebrated, but the reality was far more complicated and painful.
When the episode aired in April 1997, Dern said the expectation was that it would lead to empathy and acceptance. She recalled the assumption that audiences would open their hearts, embrace their loved ones and allow culture to evolve naturally.
Instead, the reaction was intense and hostile.
That backlash affected everyone involved, including DeGeneres and other guest stars.
Dern revealed that those connected to the episode faced years of heightened security, along with bomb threats and the loss of sponsors and advertisers during what she described as a chaotic period.
“The world went, ‘No, no, no,’” she said, adding that DeGeneres ultimately lost her show and that it took years for things to shift.
Despite that, Dern believes the long-term impact proves why taking risks in storytelling matters.
She pointed to her strong queer fanbase, recalling being honoured at the 2020 Independent Spirit Awards when she was celebrated her as an icon.
She said moments like that show just how far culture has come.
Dern remembered holding DeGeneres’ hand as she spoke the words out loud for the first time on screen, calling it “one of the most incredible experiences of my life”.
Although Dern said she never hesitated to take part in the episode, she acknowledged that both she and DeGeneres were professionally impacted afterwards.
Still, she said there has been “no greater gift” than being there in that moment, supporting DeGeneres through an emotional and historic scene that would go on to shape television and representation for generations.
More recently, DeGeneres has marked personal milestones with her wife, Portia de Rossi.
The couple, who married in 2008 and renewed their vows in 2023, regularly share tributes to one another online.
DeGeneres has described her wife as “the greatest gift,” a reflection of the life she has built years after that pivotal episode first aired.
For Dern, the experience remains a powerful reminder of why representation matters, even when the cost feels overwhelming in the moment.
She believes culture is shaped precisely by those brave enough to move forward before the rest of the world is ready.
Entertainment
See Hailey Bieber’s Valentine Day tribute for Justin Bieber
Hailey Bieber gave fans a rare peek into her Valentine’s Day celebrations with husband Justin Bieber, sharing a light-hearted and affectionate moment that kept things personal and understated.
The Rhode founder posted to her Instagram Stories on Saturday, revealing a handwritten note that read, “You are my forever Valentine,” finished with a red kiss mark.
She followed it with a close-up snap of chocolate-covered strawberries, suggesting the couple marked the day with a cosy, low-key treat rather than anything over the top.

Hailey, 29, and Justin, 31, have been married since 2018 and are parents to a son, Jack Blues, who is just over a year old.
While the couple tend to keep their family life private, Hailey’s Valentine’s Day posts offered a gentle snapshot of their relationship at home.
Away from the holiday romance, Hailey also found herself in the spotlight last week after stepping out at the Sydney premiere of Wuthering Heights.
The model turned heads in a plunging, completely sheer black lace gown by Saint Laurent.
Hailey also leaned into romance in another way ahead of Valentine’s Day by sharing a post suggesting that her bond with Justin is written in the stars.
On Friday, Feb. 13, she reposted a picture from an astrology-focused meme account highlighting their zodiac signs. Born on Nov. 22, Hailey is a Sagittarius, while Justin, who turns 32 on March 1, is a Pisces.
The post showed the couple in PDA, with “Sagittarius” written above Hailey and the phrase “a Pisces who takes them places and lets them be wild” across Justin.
The post, which explored how different signs connect with Sagittarius in relationships, was captioned, “Which sign is our valentine this year #sagittarius #zodiac #astrology #explore #horoscope.”
Hailey liked the post and reshared the image, which was originally taken on holiday and had appeared in a black-and-white Instagram photo dump she shared back in November.
At the time, Justin reacted simply, commenting, “Oh my f—in god.”
Together for nearly eight years, the Biebers continue to share glimpses of their relationship in subtle ways, blending quiet family moments, public appearances and playful nods to their connection as Valentine’s Day came around once again.
Entertainment
Maya Hawke, Christian Lee Hutson tie knot in Valentine’s Day Ceremony
Maya Hawke and Christian Lee Hutson have officially tied the knot, exchanging vows in a romantic Valentine’s Day ceremony in New York City on Feb. 14.
The couple said “I do” during a low-key but star-studded wedding, marking a meaningful milestone in a relationship that began as a long friendship.
According to PEOPLE, the ceremony took place in the city they both call home, with close family and friends in attendance.
For the special day, Hawke wore a white wedding dress with a classic ball gown silhouette, paired with a lace veil and an oversized, feathery white coat that added a winter-ready touch.
Hutson kept things timeless in a black tuxedo, complete with a white shirt, vest and a floral boutonniere.
Hawke’s parents, Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke, were both present to support their daughter.
Thurman was photographed in a light blue, floor-length look with matching shoes, while Ethan Hawke wore an all-black ensemble and was seen holding his daughter’s bouquet as he walked alongside her.
He later walked Hawke down the aisle. Also attending was Hawke’s brother, Levon Roan Thurman-Hawke.
Several of Hawke’s Stranger Things castmates were spotted at the ceremony, including Finn Wolfhard, Joe Keery, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Sadie Sink and Natalia Dyer, underscoring just how personal the celebration was for the actress.
Following the ceremony, the newlyweds and their guests made their way to a reception at The Players Members Club, where the celebrations continued for hours.
The wedding comes after years of creative and personal collaboration between Hawke and Hutson.
The pair were friends for four years before their relationship turned romantic while working together on Hawke’s 2024 album, Chaos Angel.
Speaking on The Zach Sang Show in June 2024, Hawke praised the foundation of their relationship, saying, “I cannot recommend highly enough dating your friends. It’s the best.”
Hutson subtly confirmed their engagement last year during a radio interview when Hawke was referred to as his “fiancée,” replying simply, “Yeah.”
Not long after, Hawke was photographed in New York wearing a diamond ring, fuelling further speculation.
Music has remained central to their bond.
Hutson has appeared on Hawke’s albums Moss and Chaos Angel, while Hawke features on his most recent release, Paradise Pop. 10, and even joined him on stage during parts of his 2025 tour.
Reflecting on their partnership, Hawke previously said Hutson had been “so encouraging” as she grew into her identity as a musician.
Now married, the couple’s Valentine’s Day wedding feels like a fitting next chapter for two artists whose friendship, creativity and romance have grown hand in hand.
-
Business6 days agoAye Finance IPO Day 2: GMP Remains Zero; Apply Or Not? Check Price, GMP, Financials, Recommendations
-
Fashion6 days agoComment: Tariffs, capacity and timing reshape sourcing decisions
-
Tech6 days agoRemoving barriers to tech careers
-
Fashion6 days agoADB commits $30 mn to support MSMEs in Philippines
-
Entertainment6 days ago‘Harry Potter’ star David Thewlis doesn’t want you to ask him THIS question
-
Sports6 days agoWinter Olympics opening ceremony host sparks fury for misidentifying Mariah Carey, other blunders
-
Fashion6 days agoSaint Laurent retains top spot as hottest brand in Q4 2025 Lyst Index
-
Entertainment1 week agoPrince William worries on royal family's image: watch
