Connect with us

Entertainment

Munich runways closed again after drone sightings

Published

on

Munich runways closed again after drone sightings


A general view of the Munich International Airport in Germany, February 16, 2023. — Reuters

Both runways at Munich airport were closed on Friday evening for the second time in less than 24 hours after drones were again sighted, leading to dozens of flights being diverted or cancelled and stranding some 6,500 passengers, authorities said.

Early on Saturday morning, the airport said its scheduled 5 a.m. opening had been delayed due to drone sightings, advising passengers to contact their airlines.

“German air traffic control restricted flight operations at Munich Airport as a precautionary measure due to unconfirmed drone sightings and suspended them until further notice,” a statement on the airport website read.

In a later update, the airport said 23 flights were diverted, 12 flights to Munich and 48 departures cancelled or postponed.

“As on the previous night, the airport and airlines took care of the passengers,” it added. “Camp beds, blankets, drinks and snacks were handed out.”

The previous evening, the captain on a London-bound aircraft whose departure was cancelled told passengers that runways had been closed “because of drone sightings near the take-off and landing runways” and that police helicopters were aloft.

The airport website showed due arrivals had been diverted starting at 8.35pm local time (1835 GMT).

Munich airport was closed for several hours late on Thursday and in the small hours after unconfirmed drone sightings that disrupted dozens of flights.

European aviation has repeatedly been thrown into chaos in recent weeks by drone sightings that some authorities have blamed on Russia. The Kremlin has denied any involvement.

German Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt promised earlier on Friday to bring forward legislation making it easier for the police to ask the military to shoot drones down.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Why Robert Duvall’s ‘napalm’ line in ‘Apocalypse Now’ is so iconic

Published

on

Why Robert Duvall’s ‘napalm’ line in ‘Apocalypse Now’ is so iconic


Why Robert Duvall’s ‘napalm’ line in ‘Apocalypse Now’ is so iconic

One of the most referenced and iconic dialogues in the history of cinema that truly enjoyed a life of its own is “I love the smell of napalm in the morning.”

These timeless lines were performed by Robert Duvall in Francis Ford Coppola’s 1979 Vietnam War classic Apocalypse Now.

The chilling monologue is what is making buzz on social media again after the demise of the Oscar winner for Tender Mercies, who passed away at his home in Middleburg, Virginia, on Sunday, February 15.

Let’s find out why, decades later, the monologue has become one of the most quoted lines in cinema history.

The line was said by Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore, a daring and eccentric cavalry officer, when he set a helicopter ambush on a Vietnamese village.

Colonel Kilgore calmly reflects on the ashes left after the napalm bombing, finally coming to terms with the fact that it smells like “victory.”

The line is, “Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed for twelve hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn’t find one of ‘em, not one stinking drink body.

“The smell, you know, the gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like… victory.”

What follows is, “Some day this war’s gonna end.”

It was a quiet introspection of what war takes and steals from human lives.

Why does the line continue to resonate?

The dialogue has taken on a life beyond the film, becoming a symbol for glorifying chaos, dark irony, and battlefield arrogance.

Cultural critics have been referencing it across pop culture, memes, viral trends, and television shows, often using it with a taste of sarcasm to introspect obsession, destruction, or self-indulgence.

Above all, Robert Duvall’s iconic performance in the film, especially in the immortal sequence, has been etched into the memories of cinema lovers, as long as the shadows of war continue to loom over our planet.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Chinese ‘Year of Fire Horse’ to bring luck for Mamdani, challenges for Trump

Published

on

Chinese ‘Year of Fire Horse’ to bring luck for Mamdani, challenges for Trump


Chinese ‘Year of Fire Horse’ to bring luck for Mamdani, challenges for Trump: Feng Shui Master

China has welcomed its Lunar New Year with nationwide celebrations of fireworks, lanterns, and festivities.

2026 is the Year of the Fire Horse, which symbolises power and speed.

A feng shui expert Raymond Lo has made predictions on how the new year will be for prominent American personalities, including the United States (U.S.) President Donald Trump, New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani and Hollywood sensation Timothee Chalamet.

For context, a Feng Shui Master is a professional, often rooted in traditional Chinese metaphysics, who interprets and manipulates environmental energy (Qi) to enhance harmony, health, and prosperity in homes and businesses.

In an interview with CNN, Master Lo said, “The horse represents a powerful fire element. So it’s a pure fire year. Fire is very strong and very energetic.”

He added that it will bring protests and anti-government demonstrations in the U.S. that could not be so peaceful, adding, “Fire is not a favourable element for President Trump, so it will stimulate his enemies.”

Master Lo said Trump will likely face fierce opposition and significant obstacles in the year of the fire horse.

The year is predicted to be favourable for New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani, who was sworn-in last year after winning the election against political heavyweights.

Master Lo said, “Mamdani has a strong metal element in his chart, and fire is a power to metal people. He will gain power. It’s a very favourable year for him.”

The predictions don’t always come true as Master Lo’s prediction about then-President Biden having a good year in 2024 and Trump having a bad year did not come true, as Trump went on to win the 2024 presidential election despite Lo’s forecast.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Police identify shooter Robert Dorgan, say attack tied to family dispute

Published

on

Police identify shooter Robert Dorgan, say attack tied to family dispute


Police identify shooter Robert Dorgan in Pawtucket Ice Rink attack that left three dead

Police have identified the shooter in the Pawtucket ice rink shooting that left three dead. Officials said the suspect, Robert Dorgan, who also went by the name of Roberta Esposito, has allegedly died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

On Monday afternoon, February 16, 2026, at around 2:30 p.m., a lone shooter opened fire on people in a local skating rink, Dennis M. Lynch Arena, in Pawtucket, Rhode Island and killed three people while leaving three others in critical condition.

Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves stated the said authorities have not yet released the victims’ identities. She said that the shooting appears to be targeted, adding, “It may have been a family dispute.”

The unfortunate incident occurred during a high school hockey game between Coventry/Johnston and Blackstone Valley Co-op.

Witnesses described the horrific scenes and confusion after the tragic shooting as the spectators and players ran to seek shelter and flee towards the exit.

Melissa Dunn, the mother of one of the players, said, “It was supposed to be a special day for the team, and it’s really sad.”

A sophomore goalkeeper from Coventry High School, Olin Lawrence, described the situation as complete chaos, saying, “We ran to the locker room and just tried to be safe. We pressed against the door and just tried to stay safe down there. It was very scary. We were very nervous. There were a lot of shots.” 





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending