Connect with us

Sports

NMSU, ex-coach settle wrongful termination suit

Published

on

NMSU, ex-coach settle wrongful termination suit


New Mexico State and former men’s basketball coach Greg Heiar reached a settlement Friday over a wrongful termination lawsuit, his attorneys told ESPN.

Fired in 2023, Heiar had accused the school of making him a “sacrificial lamb” for a litany of issues, including a hazing investigation, a self-defense shooting involving a player and academic problems.

In November 2022, former Aggies player Mike Peake was lured to the University of New Mexico’s campus, where he shot and killed an alleged assailant after a group of men attacked him in retaliation for an earlier fight. Peake was not charged in the incident.

But it was the beginning of a tumultuous year for the program and Heiar, who had been accused of leaving town with his team after the shooting as local authorities sought to speak with multiple players.

Later, a hazing investigation involving sexual assault and harassment allegations led to a combined $8 million payout to a pair of former players, Shak Odunewu and Deuce Benjamin, and one of their fathers.

In February 2023, the school fired Heiar — a first-year head coach — and canceled the remainder of the 2022-23 season as details of the hazing investigation came to light. Soon after, Heiar sought an undetermined sum when he sued the school for breach of contract and actions that were “willful, wanton, and with reckless disregard.”

“On behalf of our client, Greg Heiar, we are pleased to announce that a settlement has been reached in the arbitration of Coach Heiar and New Mexico State University,” attorneys Ryan P. Danoff and Brett J. Danoff of Danoff Law Firm, P.C., said in a statement to ESPN. “Coach Heiar is pleased that this matter is now fully and finally resolved to our satisfaction, and excited to continue his coaching career. Coach Heiar wishes NMSU, the men’s basketball program, and the Aggie fans all the best going forward.”

Last year, Heiar led Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, Texas, to the national junior college championship and was named national junior college coach of the year.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Cowboys trade Micah Parsons to Packers in NFL blockbuster

Published

on



Read more



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract

Published

on

Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract


KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee wants to make sure Rick Barnes stays with the Volunteers as long as he wants to coach the men’s basketball team.

Athletic director Danny White announced Thursday that Barnes has signed essentially a lifetime contract with Tennessee.

“Rick has taken our program to unprecedented heights, and we are absolutely thrilled to have him continue coaching on Rocky Top for the rest of his career,” White said. “He has constructed this program the right way, achieving elite-level success on the court while also ensuring that all our players excel off the court.”

Barnes, who turned 71 in July, last signed an extension in September 2023 that took him through the 2027-28 season. The contract announced Thursday automatically extends Barnes’ deal for a year every April 15 starting in 2028.

Kansas gave men’s coach Bill Self a lifetime contract in 2021 and added to that in 2023. UConn women’s coach Geno Auriemma, now 71, got a five-year extension through 2029 in June 2024.

Barnes said it’s an honor and blessing to serve as Tennessee’s men’s basketball coach. He thanked university officials for their continued belief in the program.

“Tennessee basketball would not be where it is today without the consistent efforts of so many players, coaches and staff members whom I am forever indebted to,” Barnes said. “Their relentless dedication and the unrivaled support of Vol Nation are truly why we have been so successful.”

Barnes is 232-109 (66.4%) in 10 seasons with Tennessee, including 112-67 in Southeastern Conference play. He has won at least 25 games in six seasons with four Sweet 16s, four top-10 finishes, three SEC championships and two Elite Eight berths.

The Vols have made seven straight NCAA tournaments, the fourth-longest active streak in the country recognized by the NCAA. They also are one of two teams to reach the past three Sweet 16s and past two Elite Eights.

Tennessee has been ranked in the Associated Press’ Top 25 the past four years with 80 straight appearances, the second-longest active streak in the nation.

Barnes also currently is the active Division I leader with 836 wins over 38 seasons as a head coach.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Son Heung-Min nails 1st pitch at Dodger Stadium

Published

on

Son Heung-Min nails 1st pitch at Dodger Stadium


Star LAFC recruit Son Heung-Min is settling into life in Los Angeles brilliantly.

After netting his debut goal for the club last Saturday — a stunning 30-yard free kick against FC Dallas no less — the South Korea captain capped a fine week by throwing the ceremonial first pitch at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday.

Ahead of the Dodgers hosting Cincinnati Reds, the former Premier League star stepped up to the plate and launched a finely arced right-handed strike, much to the delight of the fans at the stadium.

Son’s pitch comes just days after BTS star V also threw the ceremonial first pitch in LA. We’ll leave it up to you to decide which Korean superstars’ throw was best.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending