Connect with us

Business

Reeves signals manifesto-busting Budget will hike taxes

Published

on

Reeves signals manifesto-busting Budget will hike taxes



Rachel Reeves has all but admitted Labour’s manifesto pledge not to hike income tax will be ditched in her Budget.

The Chancellor said sticking to the election promise not to increase taxes for working people could only be met with “deep cuts” to public investment, which could derail hopes of future economic growth.

Sir Keir Starmer’s landslide election win was built on a promise not to increase income tax, employees’ national insurance or VAT but Ms Reeves looks set to break that pledge.

She said instability around the world fuelled by Donald Trump’s tariffs and the war in Ukraine, along with an unexpected downgrade in economic growth forecasts from the budget watchdog, would force her to take difficult decisions in the November 26 Budget.

She told BBC Radio 5 Live: “I will set out the choices in the Budget.

“It would, of course be possible to stick with the manifesto commitments, but that would require things like deep cuts in capital spending and the reason why our productivity and our growth has been so poor these last few years is because governments have always taken the easy option to cut investment – in rail and road projects, in energy projects, in digital infrastructure.

“And as a result, we’ve never managed to get our productivity back to where it was before the financial crisis.

“So we’ve always got choices to make, and what I promised during the election campaign was to bring stability back to our economy, and what I can promise now is I will always do what I think is right for our country.”

She added: “We’re still going through the process at the moment of preparing the Budget measures.

“So those final decisions haven’t been taken yet, but as I take those measures, I will do what I believe is right for our country, and sometimes that means not always making the easy decisions, but the decisions that I think are in our national interest.”

Ms Reeves said the forecasts for economic growth would be downgraded because of the Office for Budget Responsibility’s revisions of the UK’s productivity.

She told BBC Radio 5 Live: “I have been really clear that we are looking at both taxes and spending as part of this Budget, a couple of things have influenced the budget situation this year.

“The first is that the independent forecaster, the Office for Budget Responsibility, has done a review of how productive the economy is.

“They’ll be very clear this is based on our productivity performance of the last few years under the last government, but they’re using it to make projections about productivity in the future, and that does mean lower growth, and we have to accommodate that, because we have to live within our means.”

Ongoing “conflicts and disruptions to trade” were hitting growth around the world, she added.

But she also acknowledged her decision to hike taxes in her first budget, including an increase in employers’ national insurance contributions, had also had an impact.

She said: “I recognise that those decisions to increase taxes in the budget last year would have an impact on business and on the wealthiest whose taxes we increased.

“What I would say is doing nothing wasn’t an option.”

She said the measures had helped fund a drop in NHS waiting lists and had also provided the stability to the public finances which had allowed interest rates to fall.

The Chancellor indicated she will scrap the two-child benefit cap, saying there were “costs to our economy in allowing child poverty to go unchecked”.

She added: “In the end, a child should not be penalised because their parents don’t have very much money.”

Labour’s deputy leader Lucy Powell has warned that breaking the pledge not to raise income tax, national insurance or VAT would damage “trust in politics” and “we should be following through on our manifesto, of course”.

Ms Reeves said: “I think Lucy has been very clear since that interview that she stands alongside me and the decisions that I’ll need to make in that Budget.”

Shadow chancellor Sir Mel Stride said: “Rachel Reeves is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Having already raised taxes by £40 billion she said she had wiped the slate clean, she wouldn’t be coming back for more and it was now on her.

“Every time the numbers don’t add up, Reeves blames someone else. But this is about choices – and the Chancellor is making all the wrong choices.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Indians cut overseas travel spending to $1.9 billion in March: RBI

Published

on

Indians cut overseas travel spending to .9 billion in March: RBI


Indians sharply cut back on overseas travel spending in March, with remittances for foreign trips dropping by more than $212 million from the previous month, according to Reserve Bank of India data. The fall in outbound travel expenditure came amid rising oil prices linked to the Middle East conflict and persistent pressure on rupee, even as travel remained the single largest component of outward remittances under the Liberalised Remittance Scheme (LRS).In March, travel-related remittances fell to $1.09 billion from $1.3 billion in February and $1.65 billion in January. The decline came at a time when the West Asia conflict pushed oil prices higher and weakened rupee to record lows. Amid the situation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged citizens to cut down on foreign travel and adopt measures such as carpooling. Lower overseas travel spending could reduce foreign exchange outflows and help ease pressure on rupee.According to the RBI’s data on outward remittances by resident individuals, travel continued to account for the largest share of money sent abroad under the LRS in March. Total remittances during the month stood at $2.59 billion.The RBI tracks overseas spending across categories including travel, studies abroad, maintenance of close relatives, overseas investments, and property purchases. Under the LRS framework, resident individuals, including minors, can remit up to $250,000 in a financial year for permitted current or capital account transactions.Within the travel segment, the biggest component remained the ‘other travel’ category, which covers holiday spending and international credit card settlements. Indians spent $623.05 million under this category in March, accounting for nearly 57 per cent of total travel-related remittances during the month.Expenditure linked to education travel, including hostel and fee payments, stood at $450.16 million. Business travel, pilgrimage, and overseas medical treatment together accounted for $21.39 million.The data also showed a rise in remittances meant for the maintenance of close relatives abroad. Such transfers increased to $389.78 million in March from $266.18 million in February.At the same time, spending under the ‘studies abroad’ category declined. This category includes payments made for educational services accessed remotely without travelling overseas, such as correspondence courses. Remittances under this head stood at $151.71 million in March, compared to $175.68 million in February and $267.42 million in January.For the financial year 2024-25, Indians remitted a total of $29.56 billion under the LRS. Travel made up the largest portion of this amount at $16.96 billion.The RBI figures further showed that investments by Indians in overseas equity and debt instruments rose significantly to $440.22 million in March from $265.99 million in February.Meanwhile, outward remittances for the purchase of immovable property overseas declined to $38.68 million in March, down from $51.36 million a month earlier.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Stock market this week: Middle East tensions, oil prices, FII flows & more — what will guide Dalal Street

Published

on

Stock market this week: Middle East tensions, oil prices, FII flows & more — what will guide Dalal Street


Dalal Street is heading into the new trading week with global uncertainty firmly in focus, as investors keep a close watch on the evolving situation in the Middle East, fluctuations in crude oil prices and the behaviour of foreign investors. Analysts said that sentiment is likely to remain fragile and heavily influenced by developments in negotiations between the United States and Iran, while movements in the rupee, global equities and the US dollar are also expected to shape market direction in the days ahead.Trading activity during the week is also expected to be shaped by the rupee’s movement against the US dollar, while investors continue to assess the impact of global uncertainty on risk appetite. Markets will remain closed on Thursday for Bakri Id.A key trigger for sentiment emerged over the weekend after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said negotiations between Washington and Tehran had shown some progress, raising expectations that the ongoing conflict in West Asia could move closer to resolution.Ajit Mishra, SVP, Research at Religare Broking Ltd, said investors would closely track developments tied to crude oil, global currencies and bond markets. “This week is expected to remain highly sensitive to global macroeconomic developments and currency movements. Investors will also monitor crude oil prices, developments in US-Iran negotiations, and the trajectory of the US dollar and bond yields, all of which are expected to influence foreign flows and overall risk appetite,” he said.Apart from geopolitical developments, the Reserve Bank’s decision to transfer a record Rs 2.87 lakh crore dividend to the government for the year ended March 2026 is also expected to remain in focus. The announcement comes at a time when rising import costs and supply chain pressures linked to the West Asia conflict continue to weigh on the economy.According to Mishra, market participants are expected to evaluate how the RBI payout could affect liquidity conditions, fiscal flexibility and government spending in the months ahead.Ponmudi R, CEO of Enrich Money, said market behaviour in the coming sessions is expected to remain sensitive to fresh headlines surrounding diplomatic negotiations and oil prices. “Markets are expected to remain volatile and heavily headline-driven in the coming week, with investor attention firmly focused on developments surrounding the US–Iran situation, broader diplomatic negotiations and movements in crude oil prices,” he said.“While hopes of a diplomatic breakthrough and easing geopolitical tensions have improved sentiment modestly, investors continue to remain cautious as uncertainty surrounding the final outcome of the negotiations remains elevated,” Ponmudi added.He further said investors are expected to watch institutional flows, global equity trends, macroeconomic indicators and the rupee for further market cues. “With global uncertainty still elevated, market participants are likely to remain selective and cautious despite the recent improvement in sentiment,” he said.Vinod Nair, Head of Research at Geojit Investments Limited, said markets would require stronger support factors to build a more constructive setup. According to him, a meaningful decline in crude oil prices, steady foreign institutional investor flows and stable Q1FY27 earnings expectations without major downgrades would be important for sustained momentum.In the previous week, the BSE benchmark index rose 177.36 points, or 0.23%, while the NSE Nifty advanced 75.8 points, or 0.32%.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

‘Shameful’ more spent on benefits than jobs for young people, says adviser Alan Milburn

Published

on

‘Shameful’ more spent on benefits than jobs for young people, says adviser Alan Milburn



Reforms are needed of the welfare system to tackle the high numbers of young people not in work or education, says Alan Milburn.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending