Politics
San Diego Islamic Centre shooting leaves five dead, police say threat ‘neutralised’

- NBC footage shows heavy police presence near Centre.
- Officers seen aiming rifles at facility as response continues.
- Armed cops enter complex during ongoing security operation.
At least five people were killed in a shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego, the region’s largest mosque, after scores of law enforcement officers converged on the complex following reports of an active shooter, with police later saying the threat had been “neutralised.”
Police are considering the shooting at the Islamic Centre of San Diego as a possible hate crime, the San Diego Police Chief said, adding that the attack left three victims dead, along with two suspects who were also killed. One of those killed at the Islamic Centre was a security guard, according to police.
The San Diego-area branch of the Council on American-Islamic Relations said on its X account that at least one person was killed by a shooter at the mosque. The organisation also said children were inside a school housed at the complex at the time of the incident.
The New York Times, citing an email message from the mosque’s chairman, Ahmed Shabaik, reported that at least one person, a security guard, had been killed.
At about the same time, the San Diego Police Department reported in a post on X that the “threat at the Islamic centre has been neutralised.”
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria first reported around noon PDT (1900 GMT) that he had been informed of an “active shooter situation” at the Islamic centre in the Clairemont community of San Diego, California’s second-most populous city. The San Diego police posted separately that its officers were on the scene “for a reported active shooter.”
Footage from local television stations showed dozens of patrol cars on a highway bridge next to the Islamic Centre, with police officers and their vehicles surrounding the grounds, aiming rifles at the facility.
Police in tactical gear armed with rifles were also seen perched on the roof of the mosque near its dome, and TV images from the scene showed armed officers on the ground making their way through the complex.
The Islamic Centre in Clairemont is the largest mosque in San Diego County and houses the Bright Horizon Academy, a school providing Islamic education, according to its website.
“We strongly condemn this horrifying act of violence at the Islamic Centre of San Diego,” CAIR-San Diego’s executive director, Tazheen Nizam, said in a statement.
“No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school. We are working to learn more about this incident, and we encourage everyone to keep this community in your prayers,” Nizam said.
California Governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on the “evolving situation,” according to his office of emergency services.
Politics
Trump administration ends civil, criminal cases against Adani after $10bn investment promise

The Trump administration moved to dismiss criminal fraud charges against Indian billionaire Gautam Adani on Monday, while also settling alleged Iran sanctions violations involving one of his companies, court records show.
The resolution of outstanding cases against one of the world’s richest people came after Adani’s attorney, who is also a personal attorney of US President Donald Trump, said last month his client wanted to invest $10 billion in the United States but could not do so while the cases proceeded, according to a source familiar with the matter.
It is the latest example of Trump’s Justice Department abandoning a high-profile case brought under his Democratic predecessor, Joe Biden.
Adani, a close ally of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has an estimated worth of $82 billion, according to Forbes magazine.
Adani had been accused of agreeing to pay $265 million in bribes to Indian government officials so Adani Group could win approval to develop India’s largest solar power plant.
Prosecutors said he and his alleged co-conspirators raised more than $3 billion by hiding their corruption from lenders and investors.
The Adani Group has consistently denied wrongdoing. Adani is the company’s founder and chairman.
The US Securities and Exchange Commission separately settled a civil lawsuit against Adani over an alleged scheme to bribe Indian government officials, court records showed last week, although the move is subject to court approval.
Politics
Germany arrests suspect in 25-year-old murder case

LONDON/LYON: German authorities have arrested a suspect in a long-running cold case following the identification of a murder victim whose body was discovered in the River Main nearly 25 years ago.
The teenage girl has been identified as ‘Diana S’. It’s understood the German national suspect was born in Pakistan.
The arrest was carried out by the Hessian State Criminal Police Office, acting on the initiative of the Public Prosecutor’s Office in Frankfurt am Main.
The suspect, a 67-year-old German citizen, and the victim’s father, has been placed in pre-trial detention on suspicion of murder, sources told Geo News.
The case was part of Identify Me, an international campaign coordinated by Interpol with six European countries (Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain), aiming to identify 47 women whose bodies were found across Europe over recent decades and to advance investigations.
One of those cases, known as The Girl in the River Main, dates back to July 31, 2001, when the body of a young girl was discovered floating in the River Main in Frankfurt by passers-by. Investigators later determined that the victim had been violently assaulted and was aged 16 at the time of her death.
For many years, the case remained unresolved. However, a significant breakthrough came following the Identify Me public appeal launched in October 2024, which called on the public to provide information relating to the victim’s identity and circumstances of her death.
Several tips from members of the public led investigators to pursue new leads, ultimately resulting in the arrest of the suspect. Investigations remain ongoing, and further details cannot be disclosed at this stage.
Interpol Secretary General Valdecy Urquiza said: “This identification, followed by the arrest of a suspect, underscores how important it is to continue investigating unresolved cold cases. As part of the Identify Me campaign, the efforts of the German authorities, supported by information from the public, have helped advance a case that had remained open for a quarter of a century.
“Developments such as this highlight the benefits of combining public engagement with sustained investigative work and forensic capabilities. Interpol will continue to support its member countries in identifying unknown deceased persons and enhancing international cooperation in ongoing investigations.”
Politics
Iran officially announces new body to manage Strait of Hormuz: top security council

- PGSA to provide real-time updates on Hormuz operations: SC.
- Iran’s grip over waterway rattled global markets.
- Shipping through Hormuz remains blocked since Feb 28.
Iran’s top security body announced on Monday the formation of a new body to manage the Strait of Hormuz, which Tehran has effectively closed and wants to charge ships to traverse.
On its official X account, the Supreme National Security Council shared a post for the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) saying it would provide “real-time updates on the Hormuz Strait operations and latest developments.”
The account of the Revolutionary Guards’ navy shared the same post.
It was not immediately clear what the new body would do but earlier this month, Iranian English-speaking broadcaster Press TV said it constituted a “system to exercise sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz” and that ships passing through the strait were sent “regulations” from the email [email protected].
Iran has largely blocked shipping through the vital strait since the outbreak of war with the United States and Israel on February 28. A fragile ceasefire has been in place since April 8.
Iran’s grip over the waterway has rattled global markets and given Tehran significant leverage, while the United States has imposed its own naval blockade on Iranian ports.
In peacetime, the route accounts for roughly a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments, along with other key commodities including fertiliser.
Since the war began, Iran has repeatedly said that maritime traffic through the strait would “not return to its pre-war status”, and last month it said it had received the first revenue from tolls on the waterway.
On Saturday, Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian parliament’s national security commission, said Iran “has prepared a professional mechanism to manage traffic” through the strait, adding that it will be “unveiled soon”.
-
Entertainment6 days agoConan O’Brien hat tricks as Oscar host
-
Tech1 week agoCould Contact-Tracing Apps Help With the Hantavirus? Not Really
-
Fashion5 days agoItaly’s Zegna Group’s Q1 growth boosted by strong organic performance
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartin Short: Facing tragedy with joy
-
Entertainment1 week agoTom Brady gets back at Kevin Hart during Netflix roast
-
Sports1 week agoJacob Fatu unleashes vicious assault on Roman Reigns after World Heavyweight Championship loss at WWE Backlash
-
Entertainment1 week agoMartha Stewart: How to make an omelet
-
Tech1 week agoPapa Johns Is Getting Into Drone Delivery—but Not for Pizza
