Connect with us

Sports

Spurs accept Villarreal gift to make winning start in Champions League | The Express Tribune

Published

on

Spurs accept Villarreal gift to make winning start in Champions League | The Express Tribune



LONDON:

Tottenham were gifted the perfect start to their Champions League campaign as a farcical own goal from Villarreal goalkeeper Luiz Junior sealed a 1-0 win on Tuesday.

Luiz Junior contrived to let Lucas Bergvall’s cross trickle into his own net early in the first half in north London.

That was enough for Tottenham to take the points on their return to Europe’s elite club competition after a two-year absence.

The victory maintained Tottenham’s impressive form under new boss Thomas Frank.

He was hired from Brentford to replace Ange Postecoglou in June, giving the Dane a chance to manage in the Champions League for the first time.

Postecoglou was sacked just 16 days after leading Tottenham to the Europa League final victory against Manchester United that secured their place in the Champions League.

Frank’s appointment was masterminded by Daniel Levy, but the Tottenham chairman has since stepped down in a move reportedly forced on him by the club’s owners.

Tottenham’s summer of change hasn’t proved damaging so far, with three wins from Frank’s first four Premier League games and a successful start to the Champions League adventure.

“Of course I’m very happy with that. I definitely learned you have to be happy with your wins and appreciate them,” Frank said.

“I think there was many good things. We defended really well and gave little away throughout the game against a really good Villarreal side.

“Offensively we didn’t hit the highest level. There was a spell where we decided let’s give it to the Villarreal guys and then we’ll sprint back! It was a very even game that we just edged.”

Villarreal sent on former Arsenal midfielder Thomas Partey to loud jeers in the closing stages as the Ghanaian prepared for a court date on Wednesday.

Partey has been charged with five counts of rape as well as a charge of sexual assault, allegations which he denies.

Frank had admitted it was a “big thing” to take part in the Champions League, but said he would only give himself “two minutes” to soak in the Champions League anthem before concentrating on the task of beating Villarreal.

The 51-year-old former PE teacher’s only previous experience of managing in European competition before this season came in qualifying for the Europa League with Brondby.

But Tottenham ensured he took to the bigger stage like a duck to water.

Spurs hold firm 

Xavi Simons set the tone with a fierce volley that flashed just over from the edge of the area.

And Tottenham took the lead after just four minutes when Bergvall’s cross towards Richarlison was spilled into his own net by Luiz Junior.

It was a horrific mistake from the Villarreal keeper, who was under no pressure as he allowed the ball to squirm under his body.

Former Arsenal winger Nicolas Pepe was back on familiar territory in north London and the Villarreal star went close to equalising with a rocket that deflected just wide.

Tottenham were in Champions League action for the first time since losing to AC Milan in the last 16 in 2023, with Cristian Romero the only surviving member of that team still at the north London club.

Romero’s panicked clearance almost presented Villarreal with an equaliser as Pepe set up Tajon Buchanan for a low strike that just cleared the far post.

Pape Sarr had scored in Saturday’s win at West Ham and the Tottenham midfielder threatened with a powerful strike that Luiz Junior saved at full stretch.

Villarreal’s former Tottenham defender Juan Foyth should have levelled with a glancing header that fizzed wide in the second half.

Tottenham were suddenly misplacing passes at an alarming rate and Pepe was inches wide with a low shot as Frank paced anxiously on the touchline.

Tottenham defender Micky van de Ven could count himself lucky not to be sent off after a VAR review for his last-ditch tackle.

Pepe curled wide for the visitors but Tottenham held on in a tense finale.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

NASCAR driver Casey Mears reflects on Kyle Busch’s impact on the sport after his death

Published

on

NASCAR driver Casey Mears reflects on Kyle Busch’s impact on the sport after his death


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

NASCAR driver Casey Mears reflected on the death of Kyle Busch on Friday, saying his impact on the sports of professional racing “immeasurable.”

Busch died at the age of 41, hours after it was announced he was going to forgo any racing activities at Charlotte Motor Speedway this weekend due to a “severe illness resulting in hospitalization.”

Mears appeared on Fox News Channel’s “Fox & Friends First” as he mourned Busch’s death.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Casey Mears, driver of the No. 13 GEICO Chevrolet, leads Kyle Busch, driver of the No. 18 M&M’s Toyota, during practice for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Quaker State 400 at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, Ky., on June 27, 2014. (Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

“I would say, really, it’s immeasurable. What he’s accomplished in the sport is done by nobody else. Kyle’s won so many races,” he said of Busch’s impact on the sport. “I mean, there was a stretch there for a handful of years where if Kyle didn’t win a Busch race, a Cup race or one of the truck races throughout the weekend, something was wrong because he was constantly winning races.

“I think that the end of the day he was just a tremendous competitor you absolutely knew he was going to leave 110% on the table at all times. Just one of the best that’s ever been in a racecar. The biggest thing is that he’d just become such an amazing dad, father, husband, brother. I’m just thinking about everybody in the family. Tom and Gaye, his mom, and brother, obviously Samantha and the kids. He was a true champion at home as a family man as well.”

NASCAR, the Busch family and Richard Childress Racing announced the death Thursday evening, but did not offer a cause of death.

“On behalf of the Busch family, everyone at Richard Childress Racing and all of NASCAR, we are devastated to announce the sudden and tragic passing of Kyle Busch,” the statement said. “Our entire NASCAR family is heartbroken by the loss of Kyle Busch. A future Hall of Famer, Kyle was a rare talent, one who comes along once in a generation. He was fierce, he was passionate, he was immensely skilled and he cared deeply about the sport and fans.

Kyle Busch celebrating in Victory Lane at Richmond International Raceway

Kyle Busch celebrates his win in the NASCAR Nationwide Series race in Victory Lane at Richmond International Raceway in Richmond, Va., on Sept. 5, 2014. (Steve Helber/AP)

KYLE BUSCH ON ‘HANG OUT WITH SEAN HANNITY’

“Throughout a career that spanned more than two decades, Kyle set records in national series wins, won championships at NASCAR’s highest level and fostered the next generation of drivers as an owner in the Truck Series. His sharp wit and competitive spirit sparked a deep emotional connection with race fans of every age, creating the proud and loyal ‘Rowdy Nation.’

“Our thoughts are with Samantha, Brexton and Lennix, Kyle and Samantha’s parents, Kurt and all of Kyle’s family, Richard and Judy Childress, everyone at Richard Childress Racing, his teammates, friends and fans. NASCAR lost a giant of the sport today, far too soon.

“During this incredibly difficult time, we ask everyone to respect the family’s privacy and continue to keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Further updates will be shared as appropriate.”

Busch was a two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion and had been on the series since 2004, He made 762 career starts with 63 wins. Busch won the championship in 2015 and 2019, and had 234 victories across all three NASCAR national series.

Kyle Busch celebrating victory at Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Kyle Busch celebrates his victory in the NASCAR Shelby 427 race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas on March 1, 2009. (Isaac Brekken/AP)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Busch is the all-time record-holder for wins in both the NASCAR O’Reilly Auto Parts Series (102) and NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series (69). His most recent win came last weekend at Dover, when he led 147 laps in a dominating Truck Series victory.

Fox News’ Zach Dean contributed to this report.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Bayern hope to avoid ‘bitter’ end | The Express Tribune

Published

on

Bayern hope to avoid ‘bitter’ end | The Express Tribune


Bayern Munich striker Harry Kane has won back-to-back Bundesliga titles. Photo:AFP


LONDON:

Bayern Munich face holders Stuttgart in the German Cup final on Saturday knowing defeat will sour what had been one of their most promising seasons in recent memory.

Just weeks ago, Bayern were flying high and hopeful of a treble after beating Real Madrid for the first time in over a decade, in the Champions League quarter-finals.

But despite challenging defending champions Paris Saint-Germain over two semi-final legs in a breathless display, Bayern finished a goal behind in the tie on aggregate and were eliminated.

Bayern have beaten Stuttgart three times already this season by a collective 11 goals to three. However a defeat on Saturday will sting a club with their ambitions — and their resources.

With just three defeats in all competitions, Bayern have been incredible this season.

Finishing the Bundesliga 16 points ahead of second-placed Borussia Dortmund, Bayern scored 122 goals in 34 matches to shatter the previous single season goalscoring record of 101, becoming the first side in league history to average over three goals a game.

But the Bavarian giants’ financial muscle has meant the league title has become par for the course in recent years, with 13 wins in the past 14 seasons.

A victory on Saturday would not just crown an excellent season, it would break what is becoming a surprisingly long drought in the competition.

The Bavarians have won the German Cup a record 20 times — 14 more than the next best side, Werder Bremen — but they have not lifted the trophy for six years dating back to 2020, the biggest gap between cup wins this century.

Bayern twice crashed out to lower league opposition in that run and only made it to the quarter-final stage once.

– ‘Painful’ –

In 2021-22, Bayern lost 5-0 to Borussia Moenchengladbach in the second round — their biggest defeat in any competition since the mid-1970s.

“We really want to win that again because it’s painful for us that we haven’t won the cup for six years,” Bayern CEO Jan-Christian Dreesen said on Sunday.

Harry Kane finally broke through for a first team trophy when Bayern won the Bundesliga last season but admitted failing to win Saturday’s showpiece would put a different spin on the campaign.

“If we don’t win, it will leave a bitter taste in our mouths,” Kane said of the clash with Stuttgart at Bayern’s Bundesliga title celebrations in Munich on Sunday.

By lifting the cup on Saturday, Bayern would win the double for a remarkable 14th time. No other team in German history has done so more than once.

A Bayern-Stuttgart clash opened the season in the newly renamed Franz Beckenbauer Supercup, which features the league and cup holders.
That the domestic season should close with the same two teams duking it out shows how far Stuttgart have come under coach Sebastian Hoeness.

The coach, a nephew of Bayern powerbroker Uli, took over with Stuttgart in relegation danger in 2023 but guided them to two Champions League qualifications and their first silverware in 28 yeras.

Stuttgart may be the defending champions but striker Deniz Undav said the pressure is all on the Bavarian giants, with his side happy to play the role of spoilers.

“It’s a bonus game. We’ve got nothing to lose — we’re the complete underdog,” the Germany striker said, adding “there’s one clear favourite and that’s Bayern”.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Ronaldo strikes twice to end long wait for Saudi title

Published

on

Ronaldo strikes twice to end long wait for Saudi title


Al Nassr’s Cristiano Ronaldo and team members celebrate with the trophy after winning the Saudi Pro League at Al Awwal Park, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on May 21, 2026. — Reuters

Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice as Al Nassr clinched the Saudi Pro League title with a 4-1 win over Damac on Thursday, ending his long wait for domestic silverware.

A trademark free-kick and a close-range finish, both in the final half-hour, sealed the win Al Nassr needed on the last night of the season, with Al Hilal finishing just two points behind.

Ronaldo, 41, who was without a major club trophy since winning Serie A with Juventus in 2020, arrived in the kingdom to great acclaim in 2023, wept as he watched the final minutes from the bench.

He adds the Saudi championship to his English, Spanish and Italian titles and five Champions League medals.

Al Nassr took a 2-0 lead but were back to 2-1 before Ronaldo’s free-kick on 63 minutes evaded the goalkeeper and a forest of legs to find the far corner.

He struck again nine minutes from time, receiving a cut-back on the edge of the six-yard box and smashing high into the net.

Next up for the all-time leading men’s international goalscorer, with 143 goals, is a sixth crack at the World Cup after he was named in Portugal’s squad this week.

Desert trailblazer

Ronaldo opened the door to a series of big-money Saudi signings when he joined Al Nassr in January 2023 following an unhappy second spell at Manchester United.

Neymar and Karim Benzema were among those to follow after Ronaldo inked a two-and-a-half-year deal estimated at 200 million euros, extended for two years in June 2025.

The stated aim was to turn the Pro League into one of the world’s top five football competitions measured by the quality of players, stadium attendances, and commercial success. International interest has been muted, however.

In December 2024, Saudi Arabia was confirmed as host of the 2034 World Cup, a coup as it pushes to decouple its economy from oil and attract business and tourists, partly via the buzz of sports.

With a record 664 million Instagram followers, Ronaldo has been a highly visible ambassador as Saudi Arabia tries to turn the page on the ultra-conservative image that has defined it for decades.

The world’s biggest oil exporter and home of Islam has been accused of “sportswashing” — using sport to deflect human rights criticism — as it has invested in Formula 1, golf, boxing, and tennis alongside football.

Some of the more outlandish spending on economic diversification, including sprawling tourist developments and NEOM, a futuristic city in the desert, is being reined in.

This month, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund said it was exiting the breakaway LIV Golf tour, after reportedly ploughing more than $5 billion into a venture that split the sport.

Expensive football signings have also waned with the stream of big-money transfers slowing to a trickle.

Tears and a protest

Ronaldo was the Pro League’s top scorer in his first two seasons, with his career tally now at 973 — tantalisingly close to the 1,000-goals milestone.

His Saudi stint has not always been smooth. In 2024, he was left in floods of tears when Al Nassr lost the King’s Cup final to Al Hilal on penalties, denying him his first Saudi title.

This season, he disappeared from Al Nassr’s line-up for three games in an apparent protest at Benzema´s transfer to rival team Al Hilal.

Al Hilal and Al Nassr were among the stable of Saudi teams owned by the Public Investment Fund, the country’s $900 billion sovereign wealth fund.

Before Thursday, Ronaldo’s only silverware with Al Nassr was the 2023 Arab Club Champions Cup. He was also disappointed on Saturday, when Al Nassr lost to Gamba Osaka in the AFC Champions League Two final.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending