Connect with us

Politics

Tankers exit Hormuz as Trump, Vance talk up Iran deal prospects

Published

on

Tankers exit Hormuz as Trump, Vance talk up Iran deal prospects


Ships and boats in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, April 22, 2026. — Reuters
Ships and boats in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, April 22, 2026. — Reuters
  • Two Chinese tankers exit Hormuz carrying 4m barrels.
  • US leader says Tehran begging for a deal.
  • Vice President Vance says lots of progress made in talks.

SINGAPORE/WASHINGTON: Two Chinese tankers laden with oil exited the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday, shipping data showed, brightening hopes that the US-Israeli conflict with Iran may soon be resolved after positive comments from the US president and his deputy.

President Donald Trump said on Tuesday the war would be over “very quickly” while Vice President JD Vance talked up progress in talks with Tehran about an agreement to end hostilities.

“We’re in a pretty good spot here,” Vance told a White House press briefing.

Trump made his comments a day after saying he had paused a planned resumption of hostilities following a new proposal by Tehran to end the conflict.

“I was an hour away from making the decision to go today,” Trump told reporters at the White House on Tuesday.

Iran’s leaders are begging for a deal, he said, adding that a new US attack would happen in the coming days if no agreement was reached.

The United States has been struggling to end the war it began with Israel nearly three months ago. Trump has repeatedly said during the conflict that a deal with Tehran was close, and similarly threatened heavy strikes on Iran if it did not reach an accord.

The US president is under intense political pressure at home to reach an accord that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz – a key route for global supplies of oil and other commodities. Gasoline prices remain high and Trump’s approval rating has plummeted with congressional elections looming in November.

The conflict has caused the worst-ever disruption to global energy supplies, blocking hundreds of tankers from leaving the Gulf while damaging energy and shipping facilities across the region.

Two Chinese ships, among a handful of supertankers carrying Iraqi crude, exiting the Gulf this month, passed through the narrow strait carrying around 4 million barrels of crude, according to data from LSEG and Kpler.

Oil prices eased on the positive signals from the White House and in the Gulf, with Brent crude LCOc1 falling to as low as $110.16 a barrel, before regaining much of its losses.

“Investors are keen to gauge whether Washington and Tehran can actually find common ground and reach a peace agreement, with the US stance shifting daily,” said Toshitaka Tazawa, an analyst at Fujitomi Securities.

Difficulties in negotiations

Speaking to reporters at a White House briefing, Vance acknowledged difficulties in negotiating with a fractured Iranian leadership. “It’s not sometimes totally clear what the negotiating position of the team is,” he said, so the US is trying to make its own red lines clear.

He also said one objective of Trump’s policy is to prevent a nuclear arms race from spreading in the region.

Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian parliament’s national security committee, said on X that Trump’s pausing of an attack was due to the realisation that any move against Iran would mean “facing a decisive military response.”

Iranian state media said Tehran’s latest peace proposal involves ending hostilities on all fronts, including Lebanon, the exit of US forces from areas close to Iran, and reparations for destruction caused by the US-Israeli attacks.

Tehran also sought the lifting of sanctions, release of frozen funds and an end to the US marine blockade, according to Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi as cited by IRNA news agency.

The terms as described in the Iranian reports appeared little changed from Iran’s previous offer, which Trump rejected last week as “garbage.”

Ceasefire mostly holding

The US-Israeli bombing killed thousands of people in Iran before it was suspended in a ceasefire in early April. Israel has killed thousands more and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes in Lebanon, which it invaded in pursuit of the Iran-backed Hezbollah militia.

Iranian strikes on Israel and neighbouring Gulf states have killed dozens of people.

The ceasefire has mostly held, although drones have lately been launched from Iraq towards ⁠Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia and ⁠Kuwait.

Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said they launched the war to curb Iran’s support for regional militias, dismantle its nuclear programme, destroy its missile capabilities and create conditions for Iranians to topple their rulers.

But the war has yet to deprive Iran of its stockpile of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium or its ability to threaten neighbours with missiles, drones and proxy militias.

The Islamic Republic’s leadership has withstood the superpower onslaught with no sign of organised opposition.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Putin lands in China for trip to show unshakeable ties after Trump pomp

Published

on

Putin lands in China for trip to show unshakeable ties after Trump pomp


In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Russias President Vladimir Putin is welcomed by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi upon his arrival at Beijing Capital Airport in Beijing late on May 19, 2026. — AFP
In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Russia’s President Vladimir Putin is welcomed by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi upon his arrival at Beijing Capital Airport in Beijing late on May 19, 2026. — AFP
  • Putin seeks stronger Chinese support after Trump’s Beijing visit.
  • Xi, Putin expected to discuss “Power of Siberia 2” gas pipeline.
  • Kremlin says leaders to discuss regional, global developments.

Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in Beijing late on Tuesday for talks with his Chinese counterpart and “long-time good friend” Xi Jinping, intending to show their ties are unshakeable days after a visit by Donald Trump.

The confirmation of Putin’s trip came just hours after Trump wrapped up his visit on Friday, the first to China by a US president in nearly a decade and one aimed at stabilising their turbulent relations.

Putin arrived at Beijing Capital International Airport around 11:15pm (1515 GMT) on Tuesday, where he was greeted by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and a military band.

It was a near-mirror image of Trump’s arrival days earlier, with both leaders stepping out of their planes onto a red carpet as Chinese youths chanted “welcome, welcome” — this time, waving Russian flags instead of American.

Putin and Xi are set to discuss how to strengthen Russia and China’s strategic partnership and “exchange views on key international and regional issues”, according to a Kremlin statement.

Their ties have deepened since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022, with Putin visiting Beijing every year since as his country is cut off diplomatically on the world stage.

In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Chinese honour guards march past the airplane carrying Russias President Vladimir Putin upon his arrival at Beijing Capital Airport in Beijing late on May 19, 2026. — AFP
In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Chinese honour guards march past the airplane carrying Russia’s President Vladimir Putin upon his arrival at Beijing Capital Airport in Beijing late on May 19, 2026. — AFP

However, their relationship is far from equal, with Moscow heavily dependent economically on Beijing, the main buyer of sanctioned Russian oil.

Among topics Xi and Putin could discuss is the construction of the major “Power of Siberia 2” natural gas pipeline from Russia to China through Mongolia — a land alternative to crude imported by sea from the Middle East — which Moscow is keen to get underway.

Setting a warm tone for the visit, Xi and Putin exchanged “congratulatory letters” on Sunday to mark 30 years of their countries’ strategic partnership.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun lauded “the enduring friendship between China and Russia” on Tuesday.

And in a video message to the Chinese people released on Tuesday, Putin said relations have reached “a truly unprecedented level”, and that “trade between Russia and China continues to grow”.

In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Russias President Vladimir Putin is welcomed by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and other officials upon his arrival at Beijing Capital Airport in Beijing late on May 19, 2026. — AFP
In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Russia’s President Vladimir Putin is welcomed by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and other officials upon his arrival at Beijing Capital Airport in Beijing late on May 19, 2026. — AFP

“The close strategic relationship between Russia and China plays a major, stabilising role globally. Without allying against anyone, we seek peace and universal prosperity,” Putin said, without mentioning any third country.

The two leaders are also expected to sign a joint declaration after their talks.

‘Dear, old friends’

Xi welcomed Putin with open arms as an “old friend” when he last visited Beijing in September 2025 — language the Chinese leader did not extend to Trump last week.

Putin, who in turn called Xi his “dear friend”, will be keen to show the world that their relations are unaffected by Trump’s visit.

While Putin’s visit is not expected to receive the same pomp as Trump’s, “the Xi-Putin relationship does not require that kind of performative reassurance”, said Patricia Kim from the Brookings Institution in Washington.

Both sides view ties as “structurally stronger and more stable” than those between China and the United States, she said.

Beijing has regularly called for talks to end the war in Ukraine but has never condemned Russia for sending in troops, presenting itself instead as a neutral party.

Trump and Xi discussed Ukraine last week, but the US president left China without a breakthrough.

“Xi will almost certainly brief Putin on his summit with Trump,” Kim said.

The lack of clear outcomes from the Xi-Trump meeting, though, “likely reassures Moscow that Xi did not strike any understanding with Trump that would materially undercut Russian interests”.

Appetite for oil

Putin will be hoping for China to deepen its commitment to Moscow, after Trump told Fox News during his visit that Beijing had agreed to buy US oil to feed its “insatiable” appetite for energy.

With Russia reliant on sales to China to sustain its war effort, “Putin does not want to lose that support”, Asia Society’s Lyle Morris told AFP.

“Putin will likely be keen to hear from Xi about China’s next step in the Middle East,” Morris said, after “Trump signalled clearly that he hopes Beijing will play a leading role”.

When it comes to the US-Israeli war on Iran, though, China and Russia may have different priorities.

“(China) relies on the freedom of the world’s major waterways to sustain its economic activities, and would prefer that the standoff in the Strait of Hormuz end sooner rather than later,” James Char of Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University told AFP.

On the other hand, Moscow has “been benefitting economically from the fighting in Iran due to the relaxation of sanctions against Russian energy supplies, so may have a different view”, he said.

Russia’s top diplomat Sergei Lavrov said after meeting Xi in April that Russia could “compensate” for China’s energy shortages as the Middle East war hits global supplies.

“Expanded energy ties may feature prominently at the meeting (as) Beijing seeks more Russian energy,” said Joseph Webster from the Atlantic Council.

“From Moscow’s perspective, shipping more oil east may be more attractive in the wake of Ukraine’s relentless campaign targeting Russian energy infrastructure.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

‘Either we win or become martyrs’: Iran will never surrender, says deputy FM

Published

on

‘Either we win or become martyrs’: Iran will never surrender, says deputy FM



Iran’s deputy foreign minister for legal and international affairs has rejected any notion of surrender, saying the Islamic Republic is united and decisively ready to confront any military aggression.

Kazem Gharibabadi was responding to recent statements from US President Donald Trump about a “temporary” halt to attacks on Iran to give diplomacy a chance.

“The United States says it has ‘temporarily’ stopped the attacks on Iran to give negotiations a chance, but at the same time speaks of readiness for a massive offensive at any moment. This means calling ‘threat’ a ‘peace opportunity’,” he said.

“Iran stands united and decisively ready to confront any military aggression. For us, surrender has no meaning; either we win, or we become martyrs.”

The Iranian diplomat invoked the words of Martyr Rajab Beigi: “We are a great nation, record our name in history; among all colors we have chosen red, and among all deaths we have chosen martyrdom.”

On February 28, the United States and Israel launched their illegal, unprovoked war of aggression against Iran. They assassinated Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei and several high-ranking officials.

The United States and Israel struck civilian sites across Iran, including nuclear facilities, schools, and hospitals.

Iran responded with at least 100 waves of decisive retaliatory strikes under Operation True Promise 4.

A Pakistan‑brokered ceasefire has been in place since early April, but a US naval blockade of Iranian ports remains.

Tehran has vowed not to reopen the Strait of Hormuz until the blockade is lifted and the war permanently ends.

Peace talks have stalled after Washington rejected Iran’s counterproposal, which demands war compensation, the lifting of all sanctions, and respect for Iran’s sovereignty over the Strait.

Iranian officials maintain that any negotiation must be based on mutual respect, rather than threats or diktats.

 



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Iran stages mass weddings for couples ready for war sacrifice

Published

on

Iran stages mass weddings for couples ready for war sacrifice


Iranian authorities held mass public weddings in Tehran for couples who signed up to a state-sponsored scheme declaring their readiness to sacrifice their lives in the war against the US and Israel.

The ceremonies conducted late on Monday involved hundreds of couples in several major squares in the capital, including more than 100 in the vast Imam Hossein square in central Tehran, according to reports in Iranian media.

A bride and groom couple attends a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
A bride and groom couple attends a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP 

They were broadcast on state TV in a bid to boost wartime morale, with US President Donald Trump repeatedly threatening new military action against Iran amid a shaky ceasefire which halted the fighting that began on February 28.

Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP 
A Shia Muslim cleric arrives as a groom with his bride with other couples at a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
A Shia Muslim cleric arrives as a groom with his bride with other couples at a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP

Those involved had signed up, according to Iranian media, for the “self-sacrifice” scheme (janfada in Persian) where people pledged to put their lives on the line in the war by, for example, forming human chains outside power stations.

A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP 

Iranian authorities say millions of people, including top figures such as speaker of parliament Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and President Masoud Pezeshkian, have put their names forward.

Revellers attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
Revellers attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP

Couples arrived at the Imam Hossein square in military jeeps with mounted machine guns and were married on a stage in a ceremony presided over by a cleric, AFP images showed.

A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026. — AFP
A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026. — AFP

The stage was festooned with balloons and with a giant image of Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei.

A bride and groom couple attends a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
A bride and groom couple attends a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP

“Certainly, the country is at war, but young people also have the right to marry,” one young woman in a white Islamic bridal dress, who was not named, said beside her groom in footage published by the Mehr news agency.

A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026. — AFP
A bride and group couple rides in a military jeep arriving for a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026. — AFP 

A man in a dark suit, beside his bride-to-be, said they were happy the occasion marked the anniversary of the marriage of Hazrat Ali (RA) to Hazrat Fatima, the daughter of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP 

“We received their blessings. Furthermore, we came to offer our best wishes to the people in the streets,” he said.

Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP
Bride and groom couples attend a public mass wedding ceremony at Imam Hossein Square in Tehran on May 18, 2026.— AFP

Mehr said 110 couples had taken part in the Imam Hossein square ceremony alone. The AFP images showed crowds of well-wishers clasping roses and watching on.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending