Politics
US Secret Service kills man trying to access Trump Florida estate

- Armed man killed by agents after entering Mar-a-Lago: Secret Service.
- US president was not present at Mar-a-Lago at the time of incident.
- Agency spokesperson says no US officers injured in confrontation.
US Secret Service agents and a sheriff’s deputy fatally shot a man armed with a shotgun who breached the security perimeter of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Trump was in Washington at the time of the incident, which officials said happened around 1:30am (0630 GMT).
The suspect, a man in his early 20s, was spotted by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property, carrying a shotgun and a fuel can, the Secret Service said.
Agents confronted the man and told him to disarm but he raised his gun.
“The only words that we said to him was ‘drop the items,’” Palm Beach County sheriff Ric Bradshaw told reporters.
“At which time he put down the gas can, raised the shotgun to a shooting position,” Bradshaw said.
A deputy and two Secret Service agents then shot him. The man was pronounced deceased and no US officers were injured.
The Secret Service said no one under its protection was present in Mar-a-Lago at the time.
There was no immediate reaction from the White House.
Trump, who often spends his weekends in Mar-a-Lago, has been the target of several assassination plots or attempts.
Earlier this month, Ryan Routh, 59, who plotted to assassinate the president at a Florida golf course in September 2024, two months before the last US election, was sentenced to life in prison.
Routh’s planned attack on Trump came two months after an assassination attempt on the Republican leader in Pennsylvania, where 20-year-old Matthew Crooks fired several shots during a rally, one of them grazing Trump’s right ear.
That attack, in which a rallygoer was killed, proved to be a turning point in Trump’s return to power. Crooks was immediately shot and killed by security forces and his motive remains unknown.
Political violence has escalated in a deeply polarised country where the political discourse has become increasingly aggressive and inflammatory.
In September last year, right-wing influencer and staunch Trump ally Charlie Kirk was shot dead during an event at a university in Utah.
Before that, in June, a masked shooter killed Minnesota lawmaker Melissa Hortman, a Democrat, and her husband at their home. Another elected official and his wife were also targeted and seriously injured.
And Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro — touted last year as a presidential hopeful — had his home set alight in April in an alleged assassination attempt.
The name of the suspect in the Sunday incident has not been released while officials attempt to contact his relatives.
The US Secret Service is responsible for the safety of the president, vice president and former presidents, and their families, as well as major election candidates and visiting foreign heads of state.
Politics
Iran vows to defend itself but sees diplomatic solution to US standoff

- Tehran says it will defend itself against US action.
- Araghchi expects fresh Iran-US talks in Geneva.
- Tehran prepares draft deal to avert conflict.
PARIS: Iran’s top diplomat said Sunday that his country would strike back at US interests in the Middle East in the event of an attack, though he still saw a chance for a diplomatic resolution.
Speaking to US broadcaster CBS, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said he expected new talks on the details of a deal, “probably” Thursday, as fears loomed of renewed conflict after Washington carried out a major redeployment of military assets to the region.
US threats of military action have multiplied since a nationwide protest movement sparked a major crackdown that rights groups say killed thousands of people.
“If the US attacks us, then we have every right to defend ourselves,” Araghchi said, alluding to American interests in the region as potential targets.
Still, he said, “there is a good chance to have a diplomatic solution”.
After a recent round of talks in Geneva, Iran said it was preparing a draft proposal for an agreement that would avert military action.
“I believe that when we meet, probably this Thursday in Geneva again, we can work on those elements and prepare a good text and come to a fast deal,” Araghchi told CBS.
Axios had earlier reported, citing an unnamed senior US official, that if Iran submitted its proposal in the next 48 hours, Washington was ready to meet again later in the week “to start detailed negotiations”.
The US has sent two aircraft carriers to the Middle East in recent weeks, along with other jets and ships, and has also shored up its air defences in the region to back up its threats of military intervention.
US President Donald Trump’s chief Middle East negotiator Steve Witkoff said Saturday in a Fox News interview that the president was questioning why Iran had not yet given in to US pressure.
“He’s curious as to why they haven’t… I don’t want to use the word ‘capitulated’, but why haven’t they capitulated?” he said.
“Why, under this pressure, with the amount of seapower and naval power over there, why haven´t they come to us and said, ´We profess we don´t want a weapon, so here´s what we´re prepared to do´?”
Western governments fear Iran’s nuclear programme is aimed at developing a bomb, which Tehran has long denied, though it insists on its right to enrich uranium for civilian purposes.
On the subject of enrichment, Araghchi said Sunday: “As a sovereign country, we have every right to decide for ourselves, by ourselves.”
Fears of war
A previous round of diplomacy last year was interrupted by Israel’s bombing campaign against the Islamic republic.
That sparked a 12-day conflict in June that the US briefly joined with strikes on nuclear facilities.
Despite the recent Oman-mediated talks, Iranians’ fears of a new conflict have grown.
“I don’t sleep well at night even while taking pills,” Tehran resident Hamid told AFP, saying he worried for his “family’s health… my kids and grandchildren”.
IT technician Mina Ahmadvand, 46, believes that “at this stage, war between Iran and the US as well as Israel is inevitable and I’ve prepared myself for that eventuality”.
“I don’t want war to happen, but one should not fool around with the realities on the ground.”
The concerns have prompted several foreign countries to urge their citizens to leave Iran, including Sweden, Serbia, Poland and Australia, which warned “commercial flights are currently available but this could change quickly”.
Politics
British Pakistani teenager stabbed to death outside mosque

A British Pakistani teenager has died in a horrific knife attack outside a mosque on Friday evening.
The stabbing incident took place outside Oldbury Jamia Masjid in Smethwick, a town neighbouring Birmingham, while the worshippers were saying the Traweeh prayers inside the mosque.
The teenager has since been named as 18-year-old Zeeshan Afzal a resident of Smethwick. Two other youngsters, aged 19 and 22, are also being treated for knife wounds in a local hospital but their injuries are understood to be not life-threatening.
The local community is deeply saddened and shaken by the tragic incident, which occurred during the holy month of Ramadan.
Worshippers present at the mosque said they were shocked to see the heavy presence of police and paramedics when they came out after completing Taraweeh prayers.

Since the incident took place in the car park the whole area was cordoned off. The police instructed them to return inside and did not allow them to exit for approximately 40 minutes. When they were eventually allowed to leave, they were not permitted to remove their vehicles from the car park as it had become a crime scene.
According to West Midlands police, members of public alerted them of a disorder in the car park of Jamia Masjid Chashma-e-Rahmat situated on Oldbury Road.
Upon reaching there the sound 18 years old Zeeshan Azfal with stab wounds who soon after succumbed to the injuries despite efforts by paramedics.
Following the tragic incident the West Midlands Police launched a murder investigation and still working on to find the exact circumstances around the crime and the people involved.
A spokesman for the force said: “A murder investigation is underway after a teenager has tragically died after being stabbed in Smethwick”.
“Zeshan, from Smethwick, was sadly confirmed dead a short time later, and we’ll be doing everything we can to support his family at this terrible time”.
Although the motive behind the killing is yet to be established, the police have appealed to local residents or eyewitnesses to come forward with any information they may have.
Meanwhile, police have stated that they are not currently treating the incident as racially or religiously motivated, and investigations are still ongoing. The police have also assured the local community that to feel safe.
“The disorder happened outside a mosque, but at this stage there is nothing to suggest this was racially or religiously aggravated”.
“We fully understand the incident will have caused distress, and concern, within the community and we will continue to have a visible police presence in the area to provide reassurance”.
Politics
Iran and US views on sanctions relief differ, says Iranian official

- Next round of talks possible in early March: officials.
- Iran, US differ on sanctions relief, says Iranian official.
- Tehran says wants its right to enrichment to be recognised.
Iran and the United States have differing views over sanctions relief in talks to curb Tehran’s nuclear ambitions, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Sunday, adding that new talks were planned in early March as fears of a military confrontation grow.
Iran and the US renewed negotiations earlier this month to tackle their decades-long dispute over Tehran’s nuclear programme as the US builds up its military capability in the Middle East, fuelling fears of a wider war.
Iran has threatened to strike US bases in the Middle East if it is attacked by US forces.
“The last round of talks showed that US ideas regarding the scope and mechanism of sanctions relief differ from Iran’s demands. Both sides need to reach a logical timetable for lifting sanctions,” the official said.
“This roadmap must be reasonable and based on mutual interests.”
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Friday that he expected to have a draft counterproposal ready within days, while US President Donald Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.
Readiness to compromise
While rejecting a US demand for “zero enrichment” — a major sticking point in past negotiations — Tehran has signalled its readiness to compromise on its nuclear work.
Washington views enrichment inside Iran as a potential pathway to nuclear weapons. Iran denies seeking nuclear weapons and wants its right to enrich uranium to be recognised.
Washington has also demanded that Iran relinquish its stockpile of highly enriched uranium (HEU). The UN nuclear agency last year estimated that stockpile at more than 440 kg of uranium enriched to up to 60% fissile purity, a small step away from the 90% that is considered weapons grade.
The Iranian official said Tehran could seriously consider a combination of exporting part of its HEU stockpile, diluting the purity of its most highly enriched uranium and the establishment of a regional enrichment consortium in exchange for the recognition of Iran’s right to “peaceful nuclear enrichment”.
“The negotiations continue, and the possibility of reaching an interim agreement exists,” he said.
Benefits for both sides
Iranian authorities have said that a diplomatic solution delivers economic benefits for both Tehran and Washington.
“Within the economic package under negotiation, the United States has also been offered opportunities for serious investment and tangible economic interests in Iran’s oil industry,” the official said.
However, he said Tehran will not hand over control of its oil and mineral resources.
“Ultimately, the US can be an economic partner for Iran, nothing more. American companies can always participate as contractors in Iran’s oil and gas fields.”
-
Entertainment5 days agoQueen Camilla reveals her sister’s connection to Princess Diana
-
Tech5 days agoRakuten Mobile proposal selected for Jaxa space strategy | Computer Weekly
-
Politics5 days agoRamadan moon sighted in Saudi Arabia, other Gulf countries
-
Entertainment5 days agoRobert Duvall, known for his roles in "The Godfather" and "Apocalypse Now," dies at 95
-
Politics5 days agoTarique Rahman Takes Oath as Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Following Decisive BNP Triumph
-
Sports5 days agoUsman Tariq backs Babar and Shaheen ahead of do-or-die Namibia clash
-
Business5 days agoTax Saving FD: This Simple Investment Can Help You Earn And Save More
-
Tech5 days agoBusinesses may be caught by government proposals to restrict VPN use | Computer Weekly
