Connect with us

Politics

Hamas accepts new Gaza truce plan: group official

Published

on

Hamas accepts new Gaza truce plan: group official


An Israeli tank maneuvers near Gaza city, as seen from Israeli side of the border, August 16, 2025. — Reuters
An Israeli tank maneuvers near Gaza city, as seen from Israeli side of the border, August 16, 2025. — Reuters 
  • Mediators expected to announce agreement and talks.
  • Plan includes sixty-day truce and hostage releases.
  • Egypt signals readiness for UN-backed Gaza force.

Hamas has accepted a new ceasefire proposal for Gaza without requesting amendments, a source from the group told AFP Monday, after a fresh diplomatic push to end more than 22 months of war.

Mediators Egypt and Qatar, backed by the United States, have struggled to secure a lasting truce in the conflict, which has triggered a dire humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip.

But after receiving a new proposal from meditators, Hamas said it was ready for talks.

“Hamas has delivered its response to the mediators, confirming that Hamas and the factions agreed to the new ceasefire proposal without requesting any amendments,” the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Israel has yet to respond.

A Palestinian source familiar with the talks said mediators were “expected to announce that an agreement has been reached and set a date for the resumption of talks”, adding that guarantees were offered to ensure implementation and pursue a permanent solution.

Another Palestinian official earlier said mediators had proposed an initial 60-day truce and hostage release in two batches.

The proposal comes more than a week after Israel’s security cabinet approved plans to expand the war into Gaza City and nearby refugee camps, which has sparked international outcry as well as domestic opposition.

‘Confronted and destroyed’

An Islamic Jihad source told AFP the plan envisaged a 60-day ceasefire “during which 10 Israeli hostages would be released alive, along with a number of bodies”.

Out of 251 hostages taken during Hamas’s October 2023 attack, 49 are still held in Gaza, including 27 the Israeli military says are dead.

The Islamic Jihad source said “the remaining captives would be released in a second phase”, with negotiations for a broader settlement to follow. They added that “all factions are supportive” of the Egyptian and Qatari proposal.

US President Donald Trump wrote on Truth Social: “We will only see the return of the remaining hostages when Hamas is confronted and destroyed!!!”

“The sooner this takes place, the better the chances of success will be.”

Last week, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel “will agree to an agreement in which all the hostages are released at once and according to our conditions for ending the war”.

Meanwhile, in a now familiar scene in Gaza, AFP footage from the southern city of Khan Yunis showed crowds of mourners kneeling over the shrouded bodies of their loved ones who were killed seeking aid the day before.

‘Beyond imagination’

Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty, visiting the Rafah border crossing with Gaza on Monday, said Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani was visiting “to consolidate our existing common efforts in order to apply maximum pressure on the two sides to reach a deal as soon as possible”.

Alluding to the dire humanitarian conditions for the more than two million people living in the Gaza Strip, where UN agencies and aid groups have warned of famine, Abdelatty stressed the urgency of reaching an agreement.

“The current situation on the ground is beyond imagination,” he said.

Egypt said on Monday it was willing to join a potential international force deployed to Gaza, but only if backed by a UN Security Council resolution and accompanied by a “political horizon”.

‘Deliberate’ starvation

On the ground, Gaza’s civil defence agency said Israeli forces killed at least 11 people across the territory on Monday, including six killed by Israeli fire in the south.

Contacted by AFP, the Israeli military said it was “not aware of any casualties as a result of IDF fire” in the southern areas reported by the civil defence.

Media restrictions in Gaza and difficulties accessing swathes of the Palestinian territory mean AFP is unable to independently verify the tolls and details provided by the civil defence agency or the Israeli military.

Rights group Amnesty International, meanwhile, accused Israel of enacting a “deliberate policy” of starvation in Gaza and “systematically destroying the health, well-being and social fabric of Palestinian life”.

Israel, while heavily restricting aid allowed into Gaza, has repeatedly rejected claims of deliberate starvation.

Hamas’s October 2023 attack on Israel resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.

Israel’s offensive has killed more than 62,004 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza.





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

India’s Hindu group leader calls for three-child policy amid falling fertility rates

Published

on

India’s Hindu group leader calls for three-child policy amid falling fertility rates



The chief of India’s Hindu nationalist Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), Mohan Bhagwat, has urged Indian families to have three children each, warning of long-term risks linked to the country’s declining birth rates.

Despite being the world’s most populous nation with 1.46 billion people, India’s fertility rate has dropped below two children per woman, according to the UN Population Fund’s 2025 report, as the economy continues to grow.

Bhagwat, whose organization is the ideological parent of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party, said the population must remain “controlled, yet sufficient.”

Speaking during a lecture marking the 100th anniversary of the RSS, he stressed that “in the national interest, every family should have three children and restrict themselves to that.”

His remarks highlight growing concern among nationalist leaders and some regional politicians over long-term demographic stability, economic capacity, and cultural identity.

Hardline Hindu groups have long raised alarms about higher birth rates among minority communities, particularly Muslims, though data shows that Muslim families in India are also having fewer children than in previous decades.

Bhagwat too said birth rates were declining across religious groups.

While the RSS officially describes itself as a cultural organisation promoting Hindu values, it wields enormous influence through its vast network of affiliates and millions of grassroots volunteers.

Many of Modi’s senior ministers, including the prime minister himself, are long-time members of the RSS.

Analysts say BJP’s policy priorities from cultural and education reform to citizenship laws frequently echo positions championed by the RSS, making the organisation one of the most powerful civil society groups in the world.

Bhagwat rejected criticism that the RSS was opposed to Muslims who make up about 14% of India’s population and other minorities saying the organisation viewed all of them as Indians.

“Our ancestors and culture are the same. Worship practices may differ, but our identity is one.

Changing religion does not change one’s community,” he said.

“Mutual trust must be built on all sides. Muslims must overcome the fear that joining hands with others will erase their religion.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

US Greenlights $825 Million Missile Sale to Ukraine

Published

on

US Greenlights 5 Million Missile Sale to Ukraine



The United States on Thursday announced its approval of an $825 million sale of 3,350 Extended Range Attack Munition (ERAM) air-launched missiles and related equipment to Ukraine.

Kyiv will fund the purchase with support from Denmark, the Netherlands, and Norway, along with a US-backed loan guarantee, the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) said in a statement.

“This proposed sale will enhance Ukraine’s ability to address current and future threats by further equipping it for self-defense and regional security operations,” DSCA added.

The agency also noted that the sale “supports the foreign policy and national security objectives of the United States by strengthening the security of a partner nation that contributes to political stability and economic progress in Europe.”

The State Department has approved the potential missile sale, and the DSCA has submitted the required notification to the US Congress, which still must approve the transaction.

Russia’s President Vladimir Putin launched the full-scale invasion of neighboring Ukraine in 2022 and has shown little willingness to end the conflict despite pressure from the United States.

Under former president Joe Biden, Washington committed to providing more than $65 billion in military assistance to Ukraine, but his successor Donald Trump long skeptical of assistance for Kyiv has instead pushed for Europe to play a greater role in funding further military aid.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump ‘not surprised’ as Russian strikes kill 21 in Kyiv

Published

on

Trump ‘not surprised’ as Russian strikes kill 21 in Kyiv


People take shelter inside an underground parking during Russian drone and missile strike, amid Russias attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine on August 28, 2025. — Reuters
People take shelter inside an underground parking during Russian drone and missile strike, amid Russia’s attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine on August 28, 2025. — Reuters 
  • EU, UK summon Russian envoys to protest over Kyiv attacks.
  • White House spox says Trump will have more to say about strikes.
  • Says perhaps both sides are not ready to end it themselves.

KYIV: US President Donald Trump has said that he was “not surprised” after Russia rained down missiles and drones on Kyiv, killing at least 21 people in the Ukrainian capital early on Thursday. 

The deadly strikes came as the US president continues to push for peace talks between Moscow and Kyiv, even as the war grinds on.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Trump “was not happy about this news, but he was also not surprised,” given that the two countries had been at war for a long time.

Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky said the strike, the second-largest attack since Russia launched a full-scale invasion in February 2022, was Moscow’s answer to diplomatic efforts to end its war.

US special envoy Keith Kellogg commented on X: “The targets? Not soldiers and weapons but residential areas in Kyiv – blasting civilian trains, the EU & British mission council offices, and innocent civilians.”

The European Union and Britain summoned Russian envoys to protest. There were no reports of casualties at either site.

Zelensky said the strikes also damaged a Turkish enterprise and the Azerbaijan embassy.

Leavitt told a regular briefing that Trump would have more to say about the situation later.

Leavitt said the Russian attacks had been deadly and that Ukrainian attacks had done significant damage in August to Russian oil refineries.

“Perhaps both sides of this war are not ready to end it themselves,” she said. 

“The president wants it to end but the leaders of these two countries need it to end and want it to end.”

The strikes took place less than two weeks after Trump hosted Russian President Vladimir Putin at a summit in Alaska, a meeting the US president hoped would advance his peace efforts.

“Russia chooses ballistics instead of the negotiating table,” Zelensky said on X, calling for new sanctions on Russia. “It chooses to continue killing instead of ending the war.”

Russia said its attack had hit military industrial facilities and air bases, and that Ukraine had attacked Russian targets. The Kremlin said it was still interested in pursuing peace talks.

Moscow has regularly denied targeting civilians. Ukrainian officials say scores of civilians have died in Russian strikes on densely populated areas in recent months, and thousands since the start of the war.

During the attack on Kyiv, explosions rang out as clouds of smoke rose into the night sky. Drones whirred overhead.

Mayor Vitali Klitschko described it as one of the biggest attacks on the city in recent months. At least 63 people were wounded in the hours-long assault, which damaged buildings in all city districts, officials said.

Across the country, Ukraine’s military said Russian attacks struck 13 locations. National grid operator Ukrenergo said energy facilities were hit, causing power cuts.

A push by Ukraine and its allies to end the invasion has yielded little, despite Trump’s meetings this month with Putin, then Zelensky.

Russia has stepped up air strikes on Ukrainian towns and cities far behind the front lines and pushed a grinding offensive across much of the east in an effort to pressure Ukraine into giving up territory.

‘Another grim reminder’

“This is another grim reminder of what is at stake. It shows that the Kremlin will stop at nothing to terrorise Ukraine, blindly killing civilians and even targeting the European Union,” EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen told reporters in Brussels.

She said two missiles had struck near the EU office within 20 seconds of each other.

EU countries would soon come up with a 19th package of sanctions against Russia and were advancing work on how to use frozen Russian assets to help Ukraine, she added.

“We discussed our diplomatic efforts to stop the killings, to end this unprovoked Russian aggression, and to guarantee real security for our people,” Zelensky wrote on X after talks with von der Leyen.

Zelensky also said that he had discussed security guarantees for Ukraine with Turkey’s President Tayyip Erdogan and they would be set out on paper next week.

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer condemned the assault, which he said had damaged the British Council building. “Putin is killing children and civilians and sabotaging hopes of peace,” he wrote on X.

Ukraine’s military said air defences downed 563 of nearly 600 drones and 26 of 31 missiles launched by Russia across the country.

Russia’s Defence Ministry said Russian air defences destroyed 102 Ukrainian drones overnight in at least seven regions.

Ukraine’s drone force said it had struck the Afipsky and Kuybyshevskyi oil refineries as part of that attack.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending