Connect with us

Sports

Sports Round Up | The Express Tribune

Published

on

Sports Round Up | The Express Tribune


Top stories

Football

Wolves sign Tchatchoua

News Desk: Wolves have signed defender Jackson Tchatchoua for 12.5m euros (£10.8m) on a five-year deal from Serie A side Hellas Verona. The Cameroon international can play as a right-back or wing-back and was last season named the fastest player in Serie A with an average top speed of 34.88 kmph., external Wolves said the 23-year-old produced a top speed of 36.3kmph last season. Tottenham’s Micky van de Ven was the fastest player in the Premier League in 2024-25, reaching a top speed of 37.1 kmph and the Dutch defender holds the league record of 37.38kmph.

 

Football

Romero signs new contract

NEWS DESK: Tottenham Hotspur captain Cristian Romero has signed a new four-year contract to commit his future to the club. The 27-year-old Argentina centre-back joined Spurs from Atalanta in August 2021, initially on loan before the move was made permanent the following summer. He has made 126 appearances for the club, scoring eight goals, and captained the side in the Europa League final as Tottenham beat Manchester United to end their 17-year wait for a trophy.

 

Iconic

Kusal Perera heroics lead Sri Lanka to remarkable Test win in South Africa in 2019

 

Record Corner

8720

is the record of the highest number of runs scored while chasing in ODIs by India’s Sachin Tendulkar

 

Trivia

Which team won the inaugural UEFA Nations League?

A. Portugal

 

Side Stories

Bournemouth sign Doak

News Desk: Bournemouth have signed Liverpool winger Ben Doak for an initial £20m with a further £5m in add-ons. The 19-year-old has signed a five-year contract and becomes Bournemouth’s fourth summer acquisition. Doak was left out of Liverpool’s 4-2 win over Bournemouth at Anfield on Friday night. “I’m buzzing to be here,” Doak said. “I feel like it’s the right time for me and it’s a great opportunity to play regular football at the highest level. It feels like the perfect fit. “The team play very nice football. It’s fast and it really suits my game, so I felt like I couldn’t say no to the chance to play here.”

 

 

AC Milan eye Hojlund

NEWS DESK: AC Milan sporting director Igli Tare has confirmed the Italian club are interested in Manchester United striker Rasmus Hojlund. The Denmark forward was left out of the matchday squad for United’s 1-0 home defeat by Arsenal on Sunday. It is understood coach Ruben Amorim took the decision amid intense speculation over the 22-year-old’s future. While Hojlund has previously expressed a strong desire to remain at United, the arrival of Benjamin Sesko from RB Leipzig for £73.7m means his opportunities are likely to be severely restricted. “Hojlund is a good option for us,” Tare told Sport Mediaset, external before Sunday’s 2-0 win over Bari in the Coppa Italia.

 

 

Edmund announces retirement

NEWS DESK: Former British number one Kyle Edmund on Monday announced his retirement at the age of 30 after a turbulent few years heavily impacted by injuries. Edmund reached his career-high ranking of world number 14 in October 2018 following his maiden ATP Tour title win in Antwerp. That same year, he also made history by reaching the semi-finals of the Australian Open, becoming only the second Briton since Andy Murray to achieve this milestone in the Open Era. His second ATP title came at the 2020 New York Open, further cementing his status as one of Britain’s leading tennis players.

 

Konstas excited to welcome Shadab

NEWS DESK: Australia’s top order batter Sam Konstas on Tuesday expressed his excitement about teaming up with Pakistan all rounder Shadab Khan in the upcoming Big Bash League (BBL) season.  Konstas recently extended his contract with Sydney Thunder for another four years and said he is eager to deliver top notch performances alongside Shadab. Speaking about his new deal, Konstas said, “our team will take the field with the best combination this season, and especially with Shadab Khan joining us, I feel we will deliver outstanding performances this year.” Konstas also described the honor of playing alongside some of his childhood heroes.

 

Rabada to miss Aus ODIs

NEWS DESK: South Africa suffered a major setback as premier fast bowler Kagiso Rabada was ruled out of the entire ODI series against Australia due to an ankle injury. The 30-year-old pacer underwent scans on Monday, which confirmed the extent of the injury, forcing him to remain on the sidelines. Rabada, who has been a vital cog in South Africa’s bowling attack across formats, will stay in Australia and begin rehabilitation under the supervision of the team’s medical staff. His absence adds to South Africa’s growing injury concerns, with left-arm quick Marco Jansen also unavailable as he continues to recover from surgery on his left thumb. To bolster their pace department, South Africa have drafted in teenager Kwena Maphaka, who impressed in the recently concluded T20I series against Australia by finishing as the highest wicket-taker.

 

Wissa deletes all Brentford links

NEWS DESK: Yoane Wissa has removed all association with Brentford from his Instagram account as his uncertain future takes a fresh twist. The DR Congo forward, who was left out of the squad for Sunday’s 3-1 loss at Nottingham Forest, wants to join Newcastle. The Magpies have seen at least one offer for the forward rejected by Brentford this summer. BBC Sport was the first to reveal that Wissa had flown home early from their pre-season camp in Portugal, after which he threatened not to play or train for the club again if they did not sanction his protracted move to St James’ Park. Since then there had been a slight thawing of relations, resulting in the 28-year-old returning to first-team training while continuing to make clear that he wanted to join Newcastle.

 

Piastri gets own grandstand

NEWS DESK: Melbourne-born Oscar Piastri will have his own grandstand at next year’s Australian Grand Prix. The 24-year-old is leading this season’s drivers’ championship by nine points from McLaren team-mate Lando Norris with 10 races to go. Piastri has already won more grands prix in a single season than any other Australian driver since the world championship started in 1950, with six so far in 2025. “It feels very surreal and I never thought this would happen, but the support is incredible and I can’t wait to see it all come together next March,” he said on X., external The grandstand will be on the main straight, opposite the pit lane.

 

Isak to skip PFA awards

News Desk: Newcastle striker Alexander Isak is not expected to attend Tuesday night’s Professional Footballers’ Association’s awards gala. The Sweden international has been nominated for the main award but could miss the ceremony amid ongoing uncertainty over his future at St James’ Park. Isak is currently in the middle of a stand-off with Newcastle over his ambition to join Liverpool before the transfer deadline. Just over 24 hours before the awards, BBC Sport has learned Isak is yet to confirm his attendance at the function, which will be held at the Manchester Opera House, casting doubt over whether he plans to appear. Indeed, other sources have indicated that Isak – as things stand – is not planning on attending the event.

 

Top Quote

Alonso: I’m more about doing than talking. Making promises before you act doesn’t usually work in football. Just saying it is not going to make it happen

Real Madrid manager Xabi Alonso is optimistic to make his La Liga debut

 

Side Quote

Kane: “I think you can see what he brings one-v-one on the wing. Really sharp, really agile. I think his biggest asset is he scores goals

Bayern Munich forward Harry Kane praises Luis Diaz after a gutsy performance against Stuttgart. Sky Sports



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Cowboys trade Micah Parsons to Packers in NFL blockbuster

Published

on



Read more



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: Micah Parsons trade gives team ‘chance to be better’ than recent years

Published

on

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: Micah Parsons trade gives team ‘chance to be better’ than recent years


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sat in front of reporters Thursday addressing the stunning Micah Parsons trade to the Green Bay Packers. 

The main question on everyone’s mind was why make the trade?

“This gives us a chance to be a better team than we’ve had the last several years,” Jones said with his son, CEO and director of player personnel Stephen Jones, sitting to his right. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones at training camp at the River Ridge Fields July 27, 2025. (Kirby Lee/ Imagn Images)

“We did think it was in the best interest of our organization, not only the future, but right now in this season as well.”

It’s hard for Cowboys fans to fathom the deal was made to benefit the team’s win total in 2025 and the future, but Jones offered some specifics to the contrary, starting with the acquisition of Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kenny Clark as part of the deal. 

“We’ve gained a Pro Bowl player in an area that we had big concerns in — in the inside of our defense,” Jones said. 

“The facts are we need to stop the run. We haven’t been able to stop the run for several years.”

COWBOYS OWNER BLAMES MICAH PARSONS’ AGENT FOR STALLED CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS: ‘TOLD US TO STICK IT UP OUR A–’

Jones added trade talks for Parsons went on throughout the spring, though he said he offered Parsons a deal in April. He has previously said he offered Parsons the highest contract for a non-quarterback in NFL history, and he doubled down Thursday night that he offered him more guaranteed money than the reported $136 million he got in the four-year, $188 million Packers extension he received after being traded. 

“I will say this: It was important that we did get, if we could get it, the kind of interest that we got in making a trade for Micah,” Jones said. “He was an asset we got four good years out of. But when you’re talking about making the contract that he got and for the future, that’s quite a commitment. None of that counts about what he did the first four years. It goes against what he can do for you in the future.”

The Cowboys also received the Packers’ 2026 and 2027 first-round picks, which Jones said he wouldn’t rule out trading for another established player. 

Micah Parsons in training camp

Dallas Cowboys defensive end Micah Parsons at training camp at the River Ridge Fields July 26, 2025. (Kirby Lee/Imagn Images)

“Not only do we immediately get a player, but those draft picks could get us … I’m talking top Pro Bowl-type players — could. I’m not necessarily going to say you’ll get those players. You gotta draft them or acquire them,” Jones explained. 

“But they could get us as few as three or as many as five outstanding players. Now, not only do they contribute to a game that needs a lot of players on the field, but they also give you better odds that a high percentage of those are going to be available.”

Jones said that it was a consensus decision, both in the front office and by the coaching staff, to make the trade with the Packers. He added that it was still up in the air Thursday morning, as Clark went to Packers practice as usual.

Jones was also asked about an NFL Network report that said Parsons returned to the Cowboys out of “empathy” when the trade interest was leaked earlier this week. Parsons claims he was told by the team to “play on the 5th year or leave.”

“It was not in any way out of the order or anything like that,” Jones replied when asked about that report. “I think I’ve read where they said I replied, ‘We’re playing under the contract as it exists right now. Get ready to play Philadelphia.’ Correct, that was correct.”

With the trade finalized, the Cowboys are looking toward their future while also being of the belief they can win right now, starting with Week 1 against the Philadelphia Eagles

Jerry Jones looks on field

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones before a preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens at AT&T Stadium Aug. 16, 2025, in Arlington, Texas. (Sam Hodde/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“I want to be sure that our fans understand I think a lot of Micah, and I wish him so much success,” Jones said. “I don’t want him to have success when he plays the Cowboys as much as I do want him to have overall success. Micah Parsons did an outstanding job for us for four years.

“There’s no question that I could have signed him in April. We all know that, to have agreements, all parties have to agree. This was by design. I did make Micah an offer. It wasn’t acceptable, and I honored the fact that it wasn’t done in the way he wanted to do it through an agent. 

“So, he was made an offer. … There’s not an ounce of vindictiveness. There’s no bad feelings on my part on the fact that we didn’t come together on an agreement.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.





Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract

Published

on

Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract


KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee wants to make sure Rick Barnes stays with the Volunteers as long as he wants to coach the men’s basketball team.

Athletic director Danny White announced Thursday that Barnes has signed essentially a lifetime contract with Tennessee.

“Rick has taken our program to unprecedented heights, and we are absolutely thrilled to have him continue coaching on Rocky Top for the rest of his career,” White said. “He has constructed this program the right way, achieving elite-level success on the court while also ensuring that all our players excel off the court.”

Barnes, who turned 71 in July, last signed an extension in September 2023 that took him through the 2027-28 season. The contract announced Thursday automatically extends Barnes’ deal for a year every April 15 starting in 2028.

Kansas gave men’s coach Bill Self a lifetime contract in 2021 and added to that in 2023. UConn women’s coach Geno Auriemma, now 71, got a five-year extension through 2029 in June 2024.

Barnes said it’s an honor and blessing to serve as Tennessee’s men’s basketball coach. He thanked university officials for their continued belief in the program.

“Tennessee basketball would not be where it is today without the consistent efforts of so many players, coaches and staff members whom I am forever indebted to,” Barnes said. “Their relentless dedication and the unrivaled support of Vol Nation are truly why we have been so successful.”

Barnes is 232-109 (66.4%) in 10 seasons with Tennessee, including 112-67 in Southeastern Conference play. He has won at least 25 games in six seasons with four Sweet 16s, four top-10 finishes, three SEC championships and two Elite Eight berths.

The Vols have made seven straight NCAA tournaments, the fourth-longest active streak in the country recognized by the NCAA. They also are one of two teams to reach the past three Sweet 16s and past two Elite Eights.

Tennessee has been ranked in the Associated Press’ Top 25 the past four years with 80 straight appearances, the second-longest active streak in the nation.

Barnes also currently is the active Division I leader with 836 wins over 38 seasons as a head coach.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending