Connect with us

Sports

Djokovic narrows focus in pursuit of 25th Grand Slam | The Express Tribune

Published

on

Djokovic narrows focus in pursuit of 25th Grand Slam | The Express Tribune



NEW YORK,:

Former tennis world number one Novak Djokovic says the expansion of most ATP Masters 1000 events to 12 days makes them “just way too long for me” as he focuses on his pursuit of a record 25th Grand Slam title.

“To be quite frank with you, I don’t enjoy the two-week Masters events anymore,” Djokovic said Friday as he spoke to reporters before the Sunday start of the US Open — the last Grand Slam of 2025.

“It’s just way too long for me. My focus is mostly on the Slams, and I have said that before.”

“But I also like other tournaments. I’d like to play more of the other tournaments, but I just, we have currently informally, unofficially, 12 Grand Slams a year when you think about it.”

“Grand Slam is two weeks and the other Masters events are almost two weeks, as well.”

At 38, the former world number one says his priorities have changed in the latter stages of his career.

“I’m not chasing the rankings or building up my points or defending, et cetera,” Djokovic said. “I just don’t think about it anymore.”

“For me, it’s really about where do I find motivation and joy? Where will I be inspired to play the best tennis? And where do I care to be, really, and play?”

With family now at the forefront of his life, Djokovic said, he is less willing to miss out on major personal milestones.

He noted that his daughter’s birthday falls on September 2, when he could find himself playing in the US Open quarter-finals.

“But those are types of things that I really don’t want to be missing anymore,” he said.

Djokovic, long an advocate for player input in matters such as scheduling and player compensation, said he does not see how the Masters 1000s — which shifted this year from one-week to 12-days — could go back to the previous format.

Canada and Cincinnati in the run-up to the US Open became 12-day events this year.

“In the end of the day, when the players needed to be active and when there was a time of negotiations and decision-making, players weren’t participating enough,” he said.

Djokovic himself has not played since a comprehensive semi-final loss to currently world number one Jannik Sinner at Wimbledon in July.

He acknowledged that he is coming in “cold” in terms of match play, but said he had been training hard as he eyes a return to the later stages of the US Open.

A four-time winner in Flushing Meadows, Djokovic suffered his earliest Grand Slam exit since 2017 when he lost to Australia’s Alexei Popyrin in the third round of last year’s tournament.

But this week Djokovic has taken some time to explore New York as well, notably throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at a New York Yankees baseball game.

“It was a great experience,” said Djokovic, adding that he met Yankees slugger Aaron Judge.

He also thought he acquitted himself well with his pitch.

“I didn’t throw that accurate, but it still wasn’t as embarrassing I think as some of the other guys I saw in the past.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Cowboys trade Micah Parsons to Packers in NFL blockbuster

Published

on



Read more



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract

Published

on

Vol for life: UT gives Barnes, 71, lifetime contract


KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee wants to make sure Rick Barnes stays with the Volunteers as long as he wants to coach the men’s basketball team.

Athletic director Danny White announced Thursday that Barnes has signed essentially a lifetime contract with Tennessee.

“Rick has taken our program to unprecedented heights, and we are absolutely thrilled to have him continue coaching on Rocky Top for the rest of his career,” White said. “He has constructed this program the right way, achieving elite-level success on the court while also ensuring that all our players excel off the court.”

Barnes, who turned 71 in July, last signed an extension in September 2023 that took him through the 2027-28 season. The contract announced Thursday automatically extends Barnes’ deal for a year every April 15 starting in 2028.

Kansas gave men’s coach Bill Self a lifetime contract in 2021 and added to that in 2023. UConn women’s coach Geno Auriemma, now 71, got a five-year extension through 2029 in June 2024.

Barnes said it’s an honor and blessing to serve as Tennessee’s men’s basketball coach. He thanked university officials for their continued belief in the program.

“Tennessee basketball would not be where it is today without the consistent efforts of so many players, coaches and staff members whom I am forever indebted to,” Barnes said. “Their relentless dedication and the unrivaled support of Vol Nation are truly why we have been so successful.”

Barnes is 232-109 (66.4%) in 10 seasons with Tennessee, including 112-67 in Southeastern Conference play. He has won at least 25 games in six seasons with four Sweet 16s, four top-10 finishes, three SEC championships and two Elite Eight berths.

The Vols have made seven straight NCAA tournaments, the fourth-longest active streak in the country recognized by the NCAA. They also are one of two teams to reach the past three Sweet 16s and past two Elite Eights.

Tennessee has been ranked in the Associated Press’ Top 25 the past four years with 80 straight appearances, the second-longest active streak in the nation.

Barnes also currently is the active Division I leader with 836 wins over 38 seasons as a head coach.



Source link

Continue Reading

Sports

Son Heung-Min nails 1st pitch at Dodger Stadium

Published

on

Son Heung-Min nails 1st pitch at Dodger Stadium


Star LAFC recruit Son Heung-Min is settling into life in Los Angeles brilliantly.

After netting his debut goal for the club last Saturday — a stunning 30-yard free kick against FC Dallas no less — the South Korea captain capped a fine week by throwing the ceremonial first pitch at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday.

Ahead of the Dodgers hosting Cincinnati Reds, the former Premier League star stepped up to the plate and launched a finely arced right-handed strike, much to the delight of the fans at the stadium.

Son’s pitch comes just days after BTS star V also threw the ceremonial first pitch in LA. We’ll leave it up to you to decide which Korean superstars’ throw was best.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending