Connect with us

Politics

Turkey Restricts Israeli Ships and Official Flights from Its Territory

Published

on

Turkey Restricts Israeli Ships and Official Flights from Its Territory



Turkey’s top diplomat announced on Friday that Ankara has closed its ports and airspace to Israeli ships and aircraft, with a diplomatic source telling AFP that the restrictions specifically target “official” flights. The move comes amid escalating tensions between Turkey and Israel, reflecting Ankara’s strong stance in response to recent developments in Gaza.

The decision is expected to impact diplomatic and official travel, while signaling Turkey’s growing disapproval of Israeli actions in the region.

Ties between Turkey and Israel have been shattered by Israel’s war against Hamas in Gaza, with Ankara accusing Israel of committing “genocide” in the tiny Palestinian territory — a term roundly rejected by Israel — and suspending all trade ties in May last year.

“We have closed our ports to Israeli ships. We do not allow Turkish ships to go to Israeli ports…. We do not allow container ships carrying weapons and ammunition to Israel to enter our ports, nor do we allow their aircraft to enter our airspace,” Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan told lawmakers in a televised address.

Asked for clarification about the minister’s remarks, a Turkish diplomatic source said its airspace was “closed to all aircraft carrying weapons (to Israel) and to Israel’s official flights”.

It was not immediately clear when the airspace restrictions were put in place.

In November, Turkey refused to let the Israeli president’s plane cross its airspace, forcing him to cancel a planned visit to the COP29 climate conference in Azerbaijan.

And in May, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu cancelled a visit to Baku after Ankara reportedly refused overflight rights.

Trade cut off:

On Monday ZIM, Israel’s biggest shipping firm, said it had been informed that under new regulations passed by Ankara on August 22, “vessels that are either owned, managed or operated by an entity related to Israel will not be permitted to berth in Turkish ports”.

The information was made public in a filing to the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in which ZIM warned the new regulation was expected to “negatively impact on the company’s financial and operational results”.

The ban also extended to other ships carrying military cargo destined for Israel, it said.

“Separately.. vessels that are carrying military cargo destined to Israel will not be permitted to berth in Turkish ports; in addition, Turkish-flagged vessels will be prohibited from berthing in Israeli ports.”

Fidan’s remarks were the first public acknowledgement of the ban.

“No other country has cut off trade with Israel,” he told Turkish lawmakers at an emergency session on the Gaza crisis.

Turkish officials have repeatedly insisted that all trade ties with Israel have been cut, vowing there would be no normalisation as long as the Gaza war continues.

But some Turkish opposition figures have accused Ankara of allowing trade to continue, notably by allowing oil shipments from Azerbaijan to pass through the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) pipeline running through Turkey — claims dismissed by Turkey’s energy ministry as “completely unfounded”.

Although Azerbaijan has long been one of Israel’s main oil suppliers, data published on its state customs website this year no longer showed Israel as one of the countries that purchase oil from Baku, Israel’s Haaretz newspaper reported earlier this year.



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Trump Cancels India Visit Amid Rising Trade Tensions

Published

on

Trump Cancels India Visit Amid Rising Trade Tensions



US President Donald Trump has dropped plan to visit India later this year, as trade frictions and political disagreements strain relations between Washington and New Delhi, the New York Times reported, citing people familiar with the matter.

The development comes after months of escalating tensions, with both sides struggling to make progress on trade talks. In recent weeks, the United States doubled tariffs on Indian goods to as high as 50% over India’s continuing imports of Russian oil.

A punitive 25% tariff, imposed due to India’s purchases of Russian oil, was added to Trump’s prior 25% tariff on many imports from the South Asian nation. It takes total duties as high as 50% for goods as varied as garments, gems and jewellery, footwear, sporting goods, furniture and chemicals — among the highest imposed by the US and roughly on par with Brazil and China.

According to people familiar with the matter, Trump had earlier assured Prime Minister Narendra Modi that he would attend a Quad summit in India later this year. However, the visit has now been removed from his schedule.

The cancellation reflects a sharp downturn in the relationship between the two leaders, who once publicly celebrated their partnership at mass rallies in Houston and Gujarat.

Tensions between Trump and Modi deepened after a June phone call, during which the US president claimed personal credit for defusing military hostilities between India and Pakistan earlier this year.

Trump said that Pakistan was set to nominate him for the Nobel Peace Prize and implied that India should consider doing the same. Modi rejected the claim, insisting that the ceasefire had been arranged directly between New Delhi and Islamabad without American mediation.

The disagreement coincided with worsening trade friction. Indian officials had hoped to finalise a limited trade deal to ease tariff pressure, but talks collapsed amid growing mistrust.

Washington’s measures have unsettled New Delhi, where Trump’s actions are increasingly seen as heavy-handed. One senior Indian official described the approach as “bullying.”

Modi has since shifted focus toward alternative partnerships. He arrived in China today to meet President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin, signalling India’s intent to balance ties as relations with Washington sour.

The White House has maintained that the two leaders retain a “respectful relationship” and remain in communication. However, the absence of a US presidential visit is widely viewed as a setback for bilateral ties at a time when both nations face crucial economic and security challenges.



Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump scraps India visit amid escalating trade tensions: report

Published

on

Trump scraps India visit amid escalating trade tensions: report


US President Donald Trump speaks with the press as he meets with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, DC, on February 13, 2025.  — AFP
US President Donald Trump speaks with the press as he meets with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, DC, on February 13, 2025. — AFP
  • Trump was earlier scheduled to attend Quad summit in India.
  • Tensions between Trump, Modi deepened after June phone call.
  • Modi since shifted focus toward alternative partnerships.

US President Donald Trump has dropped plan to visit India later this year, as trade frictions and political disagreements strain relations between Washington and New Delhi, the New York Times reported, citing people familiar with the matter. 

The development comes after months of escalating tensions, with both sides struggling to make progress on trade talks. In recent weeks, the United States doubled tariffs on Indian goods to as high as 50% over India’s continuing imports of Russian oil.

A punitive 25% tariff, imposed due to India’s purchases of Russian oil, was added to Trump’s prior 25% tariff on many imports from the South Asian nation. It takes total duties as high as 50% for goods as varied as garments, gems and jewellery, footwear, sporting goods, furniture and chemicals — among the highest imposed by the US and roughly on par with Brazil and China.

According to people familiar with the matter, Trump had earlier assured Prime Minister Narendra Modi that he would attend a Quad summit in India later this year. However, the visit has now been removed from his schedule.

The cancellation reflects a sharp downturn in the relationship between the two leaders, who once publicly celebrated their partnership at mass rallies in Houston and Gujarat.

Tensions between Trump and Modi deepened after a June phone call, during which the US president claimed personal credit for defusing military hostilities between India and Pakistan earlier this year.

Trump said that Pakistan was set to nominate him for the Nobel Peace Prize and implied that India should consider doing the same. Modi rejected the claim, insisting that the ceasefire had been arranged directly between New Delhi and Islamabad without American mediation.

The disagreement coincided with worsening trade friction. Indian officials had hoped to finalise a limited trade deal to ease tariff pressure, but talks collapsed amid growing mistrust.

Washington’s measures have unsettled New Delhi, where Trump’s actions are increasingly seen as heavy-handed. One senior Indian official described the approach as “bullying.”

Modi has since shifted focus toward alternative partnerships. He arrived in China today to meet President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin, signalling India’s intent to balance ties as relations with Washington sour.

The White House has maintained that the two leaders retain a “respectful relationship” and remain in communication. However, the absence of a US presidential visit is widely viewed as a setback for bilateral ties at a time when both nations face crucial economic and security challenges.





Source link

Continue Reading

Politics

Asian fraud mastermind now living in Dubai loses £90m property empire and Ferrari

Published

on

Asian fraud mastermind now living in Dubai loses £90m property empire and Ferrari


This collage of pictures shows British Asian clothing tycoon Arif Patel (left) and his co-accused Mohamed Jaffer Ali. —  HMRC Press Office/File
This collage of pictures shows British Asian clothing tycoon Arif Patel (left) and his co-accused Mohamed Jaffer Ali. —  HMRC Press Office/File 

LONDON: A self-styled British Asian clothing tycoon who sold counterfeit socks and pants while operating an extensive fraud ring will have all his UK assets seized after the Crown Prosecution Service won a court order to confiscate up to £90m worth of property and luxury cars, a UK judge has ruled.

Arif Patel, 57, from Preston, Lancashire, who has been on the run since 2011, will have homes and business premises he owned taken from him after a confiscation order granted by a judge at Chester crown court.

His Ferrari 575 Superamerica will be sold at auction, as will property in Morocco, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Turkey, the court has ruled.

Patel masterminded a gang that was convicted in 2023 of one of the UK’s biggest VAT tax frauds in HMRC’s history. Carousel fraud involves chains of fake business transactions used to steal VAT repayments. Goods are moved between different companies in a circular pattern. This creates false export and import records used by criminals to claim back large sums from tax authorities.

Clothing tycoon Arif Patel Arif Patel’s Ferrari 575 Superamerica. —  HMRC Press Office
Clothing tycoon Arif Patel Arif Patel’s Ferrari 575 Superamerica. —  HMRC Press Office

His operation stole millions through VAT repayment claims on false exports of mobile phones and textiles. They also imported and sold counterfeit clothes. These would have been worth £50m had they been genuine. Patel also owned properties in Morocco, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

His restrained property assets will be sold and the money put back into the public coffers under the order.

During a 14-week trial, Patel and his co-accused, Mohamed Jaffer Ali, 61, of Dubai, were both found guilty in their absence of fraud and money laundering offences.

Richard Las, director, Fraud Investigation Service, HMRC, said: “Arif Patel lived a lavish lifestyle at the expense of the law-abiding majority, but he will now lose the property empire he amassed from the proceeds of crime.

“Our work never stops at conviction. For the last two years, we’ve worked with police and CPS partners to secure one of the biggest criminal confiscations we’ve ever recovered.”

Mark Winstanley, Assistant Chief Constable, Lancashire Constabulary, said: “Arif Patel was the head of a Preston-based organised crime group responsible for causing millions of pounds worth of losses to multiple companies.

“His actions, motivated by greed, directly impacted the taxpayer.”

Patel ran his illegal scheme using Preston-based import/export company Faisaltex Ltd.

He travelled to Dubai in July 2011 and failed to return. He was tried in his absence at Chester Crown Court, where he was found guilty of all charges.

Together, Patel and Ali were sentenced in their absence to a total of 31 years in prison. The UK has a formal extradition treaty with Dubai.

Adrian Foster, Chief Crown Prosecutor of the Crown Prosecution Service Proceeds of Crime Division, said: “The CPS has worked robustly with HMRC and Lancashire Police to ensure that Arif Patel could not keep the benefit from his fake counterfeit designer clothes scam and fraudulent VAT claims. In total, he must pay back more than £90 million or have more prison time added to his original sentence. In the last five years, £478 million has been recovered from CPS obtained Confiscation Orders, ensuring that thousands of convicted criminals cannot profit from their offending. Over £95 million of that amount has been returned to victims of crime, by way of compensation.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending